Hostel Ruthensteiner Reviews

Robert Hamerling Gasse 24, 1150 Vienna, Vienna, Austria

I would recommend staying here. Location was okay with most things in walking distance, but when they were not the metro and buses were only a short walk away. Staff was friendly enough and the common areas were outstanding. Very spacious and comfortable with a lot to offer (bar, instruments, games, books, etc.). The rooms were a little cramped and the cleanliness of the bathrooms could be improved upon - but that may be a roommate issue.

Basic nice hostel, close to the train station but quite far from attractions. Metro is close however. Shower at least in my room was very good, needed that one! Breakfast wasn't that great thinking of the price, but overall ok. Maps provided weren't that good. Staff was nice, especially the guys who checked me in, but didn't show any extra effort really.

Hi, thanks for your review - we're glad that you enjoyed your time here overall! I'm sorry to hear that our free maps were disappointing...could it be that you didn’t receive a Vienna City Spy Map? We love the city spy maps, which are great to look at and come with excellent local business recommendations, not to mention a Viennese-dialect translator - I know of a number of guests who have a complete European collection! Be sure to pick one up on your next visit :).

It is a lovely hostel at a very convenient location. The main railway station is within five-minute walking distance, and there are many restaurants, cafes and shops nearby. The hostel enjoys the convenience of the high street yet still keeps tranquillity in a quiet residential area. Highly recommended.

The staff was amazing! Very very helpful and flexible with our booking. They even kept our stuff while we side tripped to Salzburg, which was a huge help. Good bar and great hostel atmosphere. Can't say enough nice things about the happy and helpful staff here. Also the location is so close to the train, tram and metro station is was fantastic!

Thanks for your fantastic review - we hope you can come visit us again soon! Happy travelling!

This is the best hostel I've ever stayed in!!! Friendly staff, comfy beds, great bar with happy hour, lockers, etc. Close to westbanhoff station, very convenient. Only downside to staying in an 8 bed ensuite room was that there was only one shower, and everyone was competing to use it in the morning. Otherwise, I definitely recommend this hostel!

As our booked room wasn't available, we got a different room. The advantage was that it had its own bathroom! The disadvantage -- that it was on the other side of the road, which made it more complicated (but not impossible) to get to the main building in order to eat, cook, etc. On the other hand, the hostel is most excellent placed, just round the corner from Mariahilferstrasse: it took us 20 minutes to walk to the Schoenbrunn Castle, for example. There are plenty of places to eat.

Pleasant stay, quiet and peaceful. I was a little confused though, it was inconvenient that the cleaning lady's locker was in our dorm and she would come in whenever she wants without knocking. It was a little annoying.

Thank your for your review, and for alerting us to this! The cleaning team’s storage closet was being renovated during your visit, and one cleaner decided to temporarily store her supplies in your room - of course this is 100% unacceptable. We’ve now found a suitable storage place for her, and she wanted me to tell you that she's so sorry for disturbing you! I hope you can accept our apologies, and thanks again for staying with us!

I can't speak of this place but in superlatives. It's my choice for Vienna -have been there for 4-5 times. Spotlessly clean, nicely furnished (including the guest kitchen) with sufficient number of showers & a cute garden. Besides, reasonably priced. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

What a lovely review! Thank you - we'll be looking forward to your next visit!

I was really not impressed by this hostel, although i did enjoy the lobby area. We were in a room where the cleaning lady's locker was located, and she would come in early in the morning and throughout the day without knocking (which was awkward when you're naked and changing!). The stay was fine, but I got terrible sleep here. Maybe a few adjustments would make this place a bit better, although it was still a fine stay.

Thank you for alerting us to this! It’s 100% against our policy to barge into rooms or to store things in guest space. It turns out that the cleaning team’s storage closet was being renovated during your visit, and one cleaner decided to temporarily store her supplies in your room. Thanks to your review, we've been able to find a suitable storage place - she wanted me to tell you that she's so sorry for disturbing you! I hope you can accept our apologies, and thanks for staying with us!

Well, these guys are so good that they spoiled me for any other hostel. When the staff (Steve and Eliska - specially) talks to you and smiles at you, you see that their acts are earnest and real. That makes all the difference. It's almost next to the station, walking distance to the Schonbrunn, is secure, clean and they rest good cycles too. It was a good decision.

• 18th Apr 2014
  • India

I can't feel any uncomfortable! Everything is good! That's just little far from some attraction, But very close to station!

Great atmosphere, friendly staff, very clean. Great location for the subway/train station where the airport shuttle can drop you off, and it's in a quieter area. My friend and I felt very welcome and safe. Would definitely stay here again!

One of the best hostels I've stayed in yet! Beautiful facilities and excellent staff. Right around the corner from the underground. About an 8 min walk from an Aldis grocery store.

This place was the best place in Europe by far! The place was spotless and the kitchen was great. The bar was good with ok standard prices and with everyone just chilling jamming on the instruments it was an awesome vibe

My friend and I spent three nights at this hostel and found it to be a very pleasant experience. We had a private room and although the size of the room was very small, it was okay since we spent most of our time in the downstairs bar area (very cozy and people hang out/play music) or the computer room with free internet access. There's even a great happy hour every evening where you can get beer/cocktails for 2-4 Euros. We loved that it was in a very safe location and close to the metro/trams.

• 14th Apr 2014

Overall, really good! Location is okay, great little bar with musical instruments to meet and have sing alongs with fellow travellers. Couple of gripes, really small room and no barriers or ladders on the bunks. Did not get a good night sleep as I was aware quite how bad it would be had I fallen off. Friendly staff and great atmosphere, but could possibly find somewhere with bigger rooms closer to the centre for the same price.

Thanks for your review! I have to say we've yet to have a guest fall out of bed :) - but please next time do let us know that you prefer the bottom bunk! In defense of our LOCATION - there are no hostels in the center city (the property values are too high for that). We are however around the corner from a major train/metro station, and the Old City Center and the palace Schönnbrunn (both World Heritage Sites) are just a short metro ride or pleasant stroll away :). Thanks & do come again!

My first hostel since I was a 23. (I'm 71 now) Great experience overall -- staff very frienly and warm, knowledgeable, facility great. A good start on a 10-country swing.

I'm so glad you chose Hostel Ruthensteiner as the place to re-start your hostelling career :)! Thanks for your fantastic review, and happy travelling!!!

Need better internet for it didn't work half the time otherwise it was a good hostel.

Hi, thanks so much for your review! I'm sorry about the problems you had with the internet during your stay - the router in your section of the building was giving us some problems for a few days. It's now up and running again, and the WiFi is working perfectly everywhere! Thanks for staying with us, and happy traveling!!!

Helpful receptionists, easy to find the hostel from train station, clean and good atmosphere

Great atmosphere. One of my favorite hostels. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. A bit far to go by walking from the museums the city centre itself, but there is a tram stop really close to the hostel.