Hostel Santa Monaca Reviews

Via Santa Monaca 6, Florence, Italy

Fantastic hostel in a great location. However, when we stayed it was 38 degrees in Florence and the hostel has no air con, so the rooms were incredibly hot. They provided fans but this didn't really make any difference. But overall the hostel was clean with very friendly staff, we would recommend, though for colder months!

Great location and it was cool to stay in such an old convent. However, the lack of air conditioning made for a really fitful sleep, we didn't wake up feeling well rested at all. Lockers in our room were broken. Bathroom facilities were good - decent amount of space. Staff seemed kind of disinterested but were nice enough. A fine hostel, wouldn't mind staying again if nowhere better were available.

The room I was staying in had 22 people inside and there were was so air con provided. Found it extremely hard to sleep. Also the door to the room was always open leaving 22 people's belongings available to robbery. The location is fantastic and the staff was pretty helpful.

Definitely not worth staying here in the summer, it's pretty expensive for somewhere you can't sleep because of the sweltering heat, one slow ceiling fan for an 8 bed dorm is pretty awful when it's nearly 40 degrees. Not much atmosphere at all, ok location.

I'll start with positive : beds are good, hostel is very well located, and the kitchen facilities are nice. Negative: -NO A/C. It's about 40C outside; in a room of 8, I believe it gets worse than that. It is absolutely unbearable, the nights are way too warm. This really affects the mood of the residents. Go to this hostel in the winter. -Wifi works once every 5 times, and will disconnect within 10 minutes. It is blasphemy to call this free wifi, it never ever works and is INSANELY slow.

The hostel is in a good location from the train station and the Duomo. There was no lift in the hostel so we had to carry heavy luggage up to our room. There was no air conditioning in the room, only one small fan between 10 of us. There were only 5 plug sockets in a room of 10 people and the were all located by the door. The hostel closes the rooms between 10 and 2 to 'clean' the rooms, however the bins were not emptied on some days and the toilet in the room always smelt horrible.

Overall, it's in a decent location and clean. It's a little old, but I suppose I expected that - it being an ex-convent. I was on the top floor in July and it got very hot. They gave us two fans, fortunately. The staff was helpful when asked questions. The hostel does lock you out after 3am and reopens in the early morning.

Great location first and foremost. Clean rooms and a large and well equipped kitchen/dining area. Staff weren't overly bubbly but knew their stuff and were efficient in their job. Atmosphere was a tad average but that's often luck of the draw.

For the price, the hostel offered very good service and accommodation. However, I think the lock out time is ridiculous, and I would tell people not to stay in a place without air conditioning during the summer- it is virtually impossible to sleep!

My main problem with the hostel was the lack of air conditioning in the summer heat. I was on the top bunk and struggled to sleep even with the fan on, and windows and door open (this also poses a safety issue). The top bunks were very high without railing. Otherwise the staff were friendly, the common area was cool and spacious and the wifi was generally reliable.

It is a simple but comfortable hostel. The location is fantastic, the staff is very attentive and the facilities are good. The staff let me keep the suitcase in the luggage deposit all day without paying.

The hostel was fine but hot! there is so much to see in the city you won't spend a lot of time there. location was great. Accepts credit cards!!

Great location. Having a kitchen in the hostel, and a supermarket next door was a great feature too. While it may be because it was a bit of a heatwave, I found the temperature in the rooms made in near impossible to sleep. There was no ventilation and the fans just weren't doing enough for a room that size, with the amount of people. Again, this may not be a problem in cooler weather but an air conditioner would've made sleeping a lot more comfortable.

I spend a really nice stay in this hostel with my friend. I think that the hostel was clean, everything worked how expected and I really liked the athmosphere of the building. Although we had a little trouble with finding the place at first. But location is nice and Florence is beautiful! Oh and the room was really hot but I suppose it is normal in Italy...

• 7th Jul 2015
  • Finland

It's cheap, but that's pretty much it. The dorm I stayed in (16 people) felt like a basement storage unit, with no windows and grim atmosphere. Also immensely hot during the summer, no AC and only 3-4 fans for 16 people so no one hardly got any sleep. No reading lights by the bed, and not enough electrical sockets. Bathroom lines in the morning.

While this is an "okay" hostel, the heat at night made it unbearable. Originally staying for three nights, I had to check out and find a hotel after the first. I was in a 6-bed female dorm that was MISERABLY hot. One useless ceiling fan and another (more useless) oscillating fan on the ground (which does nothing if you're in a top bunk like I was). There's only one area to charge your phone, no ladder to get up to the top bunk (instead, a plastic step stool), no guard rail on the bunk either.

• 5th Jul 2015

It was not too bad, a little dark and not the newest facility but it didnt appear dirty or anything. However with the heat in Europe this year there was no air conditioning and that was dreadful. Other than that tho, not bad at all.

The hostel was in a good location and good value for money. The showers were communal and the air conditioning wasn't great in the dorms, but overall it was a good hostel. Good wifi and big dining room.

This hostel in Florence, while decently clean, was so hot to stay in - the sleep quality was really poor making the decent location not worth it. Management would cut the power over night so the fans would turn off...

This was a great place to stay for the night. I just wish the womens bathroom wasnt so far from the dorm room. It's a bit of a maze, but it adds a bit of whimsical charm. I liked how their luggage storage was behind a locked door. Rather than out in the open like a lot of other places. Free city map and shared kitchen with its own vending machine.