Hostel Santa Monaca Reviews

Via Santa Monaca 6, Florence, Italy

A good place to sleep, but very big hostel with kind of a big institutional feel to it. The staff are nice but due to the sheer size of the hostel, don't really interact to much with the guests except for if you have questions. There is no real common room to hang out in, just a dining room / kitchen. Great location for visiting Florence city, and everything is very walk able form this location.

Not having security rails on the bunk beds is dangerous and a liability for the hostel.

• 16th Jun 2015

Stayed in the 22 bed dorm so was expecting a nightmare stay, but turned out to be good. Kitchen/common room is large, wifi is pretty bad, bathrooms ok, location is great and just around the corner from an excellent Gelateria!!

Staff was excellent -- very pleasant and always helpful. Wifi unreliable -- likely due to the number of people using it at one time, but I would hope they can beef it up a bit, because it was truly frustrating. That said, I had a very pleasant stay at Hostel Santa Monaca! Kitchen worked out great and helped trimming expenses for at least some meals. Recommend highly and will stay again next time I'm in Florence. Ciao!

Hostel Santa Monaca was a very nice place to stay. Very large hostel, with spacious rooms from what we could see, our 10 bed dorm was huge. Very good location, within a 20 minute walk of just about everywhere you'd want to go, although many places are only 5-10 minutes away. Friendly and helpful staff and large common areas. We had issues with the wifi but that is a minor and likely not long term problem. Nothing amazing per say, but definitely one of the better hostels in Florence.

Great location!

Than you from Firenze on the other side of the river:))

16 bed girls dorm with door that was constantly left open, when we slept! Wouldn't have been a problem however we were at the other side of the building with the boys bathroom next to us and the females bathroom a good minutes walk through the building. Did not feel safe. Very large hostel, would not recommend staying unless in a group. Barely saw staff apart from check in.

This hostel is in a great location and is very large. Our time at Santa Monica was average. Our room was run down and dirty to a degree and was not the "nicest" hostel we had stayed at.Very basic and nothing special. If your looking for a large hostel with a small kitchen and more of just a place to sleep than this is perfect for you! Oh lastly, there is no A/C and the rooms are extremely hot!!! The fans don't work so you pretty much die all night. Overall, I would say this hostel was average.

Hostel was no more than 10 minutes away from most of the major sites and the staff were really nice. Only issue I had was with the wifi, tended not to work most of the time despite saying it was connected. Other than that great stay!

We had a wonderful stay here. The kitchen was great for cooking your own meals and the location was great! The staff was exceptional! Would stay here again!

Nice hostel. Nothing spectacular but it's a nice place to staystay in a good location, met some cool people on the terrace, would book again.

I enjoyed my stay at this hostel. I made friends and it was cheap so I can't really complain. The wifi really does not work though about 85% of the time, and I stayed in the 22 person room and it was very hot. Lastly the day staff are great except the guy who works the night shift was very rude to my friend. But the location is great and there is a grocery store right next door which is very convenient. I would stay here again if I am in Florence simply because it's cheap and decent.

Great location in the old part of town. Just over the bridge so away from the touristy bit into the more authentic old town. Opposite a laundrette, just down from a supermarket, lots of bars around. Perfect. Bit of a hike from the train station but quite easy to find without a map on the directions given. Lockers too small to fit a pack tho :( either just be big enough for passport and wallet or be big enough for a pack. Mid sized is a waste.

DON'T STAY HERE. They have a curfew of 3AM they do not advertise. They say it is a 'courtesy curfew' but if you are late the doorman yells and screams at you and some people were not allowed in and had to sleep outside. To make matters worse, they kick you out to clean rooms between 10-1400! Really not impressed with this hostel. I do not recommend it and would advise you to stay somewhere else! The 'terrace' is one table with 4 seats. Way too small. The only pos. note is day staff are friendly.

• 8th Jun 2015

You need to do something about the wifi and how hot it gets in the rooms at night. It was hotter in our room than outside. Also consider putting some couches in to give it more of an atmosphere, there was no atmosphere what so ever in the hostel. I'm assuming that it's because it's an all ages hostel, we had a school group of about 25-30 pre teens while we were there and it was awful. Easy to find, about 20 minutes to main center if you're walking. Staff were friendly.

Hostel is conveniently located over the river and right outside of the city center. Wifi is super spotty everywhere on property. Facilities and staff were okay. There is no AC so it gets really hot especially in the rooms at night. Make sure you lock up all your personal belongings either in the lockers or make use of their "security deposit box" service. The kitchen is closed until 7am, which was a pain if you planned on leaving before then.. So just have your stuff in your room on those days.

Not a good place for summers as it gets really hot in the night and the fans don't work that well. I also heard people complaining about their adapters going missing but if you put ur stuff in lockers and use padlocks, it should be fine. On a brighter side, the staff is really nice and helpful.

I felt safe, and it felt like a college dorm.

• 5th Jun 2015

The hostel is about 15 minutes from the train station. And it's easy to walk to all the tourist stuff! The patio is very small and the hostel doesn't really offer anything else.

the location is nice, and it is a great place to meet people. staff is so friendly. the only little problem is that the room is a little crowed, but it is cheap. it is worth the price.

• 1st Jun 2015