Hostel Smith Reviews

20 Rue Droite, Nice, France

Booked for 5 nights and only stayed 1. The security is terrible, the showers are completely see through and beds uncomfortable. For what you are paying its pretty bad. The only positive to this hostel is that it's in the old town.

HI Alexandra, We are sorry you didn t like the place, We remain you that you had a booking for 1 night only, not 5, and that you have paid 38,00 EUROS for two people. All the best H,Smith

Excellent stay in the best part of the city. All the rooms were newly renovated and we had a comfortable stay. Frank and his staff were very helpful and made our time in nice very pleasant Highly reccomended, great facilities in the best location possible. Thanks guys!

Hi Anora, Thank you so much for such a good comment. We hope to have you another time. All the best. H.Smith I

The position is perfect, just 1 minute from the beach, it's in the main place of old town and near to a lot of pubs ( I suggest earplugs for sleep). There is no air conditioning. The room (14 beds) was clean and all of us had the locker. There were 2 showers but they were trasparent, this I didn't like too much... anyway the water was warm! Check-in is from 9 to 24. There is no curfew, if you pay 30 euro of deposit you have your key! I suggest this hostel for 2-3 days, not for one week! :)

They mention in the directions that the sign is small, but not that it is in the doorway above the buzzers to get into the building. So while it is easy to find it is hard to know that you've found it. The bar downstairs stays open and loud until about 4am. The lights in my room didn't work, and there was zero privacy in the showers. The wifi works once you get connected but it takes forever to connect. The free breakfast is just coffee/tea and bread/jam. Ok for one or two nights but not more.

Hostel was ok for the money, but a few things could've been better. There was no lights in our room so we had to manage in the dark at night. Bathroom had no soap to wash hands nor towels or anything, so plan ahead for that! Also it was annoying to have to go ask for the room key at the reception and bring it back to them every time we would come back to our room.. Location is great though, and staff was helpful!

Ok, this hostel, technically, was the worst I have ever stayed in, the room was gritty, at 5am bottles crashed outside for an hour and the hostel kitchen has a very liberal label of kitchen. But I have to say, this is one of my favourite hostel experiences. It really grew on me, me the people who stay there are just the best. Be prepared to get no sleep but have a great time.

Location is good in the sense that it is close to the beach and very central but that also has its disadvantages since there is an Irish Pub just below it so its very noisy at night. The price is not worth it! Id rather have paid 5€ extra to have stayed somewhere else. We also had a situation with the staff where the receptionist didnt want to give our 30€ key deposit back which led to quite an arguement but then the guy who checked us in came in and resolved the situation.

• 12th Aug 2015
  • Poland

Great location, nice amenities, friendly staff, met a lot of cool and interesting people

it has some kinda problems. but staff were so kind and the location of the hostel was great.

I don't know why this hostel has a good rating! Staff are rude and unfriendly, bathrooms and kitchen were dirty plus one bed in our room was broken and the girl still had to sleep on it! One night and I went and asked for more toilet paper and the staff member said sorry there isn't any left. Everyone we spoke to at the hostel said they wouldn't recommend it either. Only good thing is the location.

• 27th Jul 2015
  • New Zealand

The location of the hostel is really great, and the bedroom and bathroom was more or less clean. But the kitchen was awful as like the breakfast. The rooms are so crowded there is no place to put your suitcase the wifi does not work at all and there is no place to be with others. If you stay only one night i can recomment this hostel for its location, but for a longer period It could be very unconfortable.

The hostel is excellently located only 5 minutes from the beach. The staff was very friendly, but late at times (couldn't check out at nine because no one was at the reception). The hotel was fully booked, but nevertheless you could have some privacy. The folks there were also very nice!

The bathrooms, beds, bedsheets and everything else in the hostel are from the ancient times. The dorm room's door and the windows stayed open 7/24, thus it didn't feel so safe. The breakfast was free and it was average at best. The receptionist girl was smoking hot and she was helpful. The location is unbeatable since it's at the heart of Nice Vieille-Ville. Not the best value I've seen though.

Both the toilet and the showers were poor. Only 1 shower out of 2 was working during my stay - for 16 people to share and when I got the opportunity to use it, the water was freezing cold.

• 22nd Jul 2015

Great hostle in a great spot! The dorm was comfortable and it didn't feel like there were 14 people in there. It was nice to have lockers in the room too! The staff were aloof for the most part and made me feel like a bit of a bother. A little more common space would have been great and the free breakfast leaves a little to be desired. But overall, the hostel was a great location and a good value! Would recommend and would stay again myself

• 18th Jul 2015

If you ONLY want a place to crash after partying, Hostel Smith is fine. If you want to shower in someting other than a trickle of cold water, not be woken up by staff yelling at patrons at 2am, have hand soap and a steady supply of toilet paper in the bathrooms, have staff not give your locker key to another person when your wallet and passport are in it, not have to buzz several times to be let in, and not be forced to give up your locker a day before checkout or forfit €30, then don't go.

The major value of this hotel lies in its proximity to the beach and the old town center. Just walk straight down Rue Droite and you're there! But for a city that is so prosperous and known for its glamour, this hostel provides the bare minimum of service. I reserved a private room. They gave me sheets I don't think we're completely clean. The mattresses were old and the room was not cleaned out. There was hair on the table and a used band-aid on the floor when I walked in. The bed frame greasy.

The worst hostel I have stayed, the staff are rude and do not help you one bit, for the 36 euros I got a squeaky bed, a cold shower and a small locker. Your better off going to sleep on rocky beach then stay at this hostel. The staff didn't even give me any change back when I paid for my room.

Nice little place. Helpful staff.

This hostel should not be rated so high, it should be rated 30% or below. Me & 2 others I travelled with, including the 6 others who shared a room with us (including the neighbouring rooms) booked this hostel initially due to high rating score on HostelWorld and MAINLY for AIRCON! There is NONE! Why is it advertised on your site? Complete waste of money! Furthermore, owners are not hospitable, WIFI does not work, see-through showers, no sleep at all due to Irish pub directly below! DO NOT BOOK!!

• 12th Jul 2015