Hostel Smith Reviews

20 Rue Droite, Nice, France

Nice hostel in the old part of Nice. You would probably prefer this one if you are into going out and partying because of the location and the guest structure. The downside is that reception is not open 24 hours (from 9am till midnight) and the hostel should introduce some single keycard system for doors because there are many doors which need to be opened while moving around because not everything is on a single floor.

Awesome time here, Frank (manager) is super friendly and happy to help

There were two toilets for the washroom but only one worked. We stayed there for two nights and nothing's was cleaned. It was really gross after the first day especially the showers. The atmosphere of the hostel is really poor. Everything is super old and smelly. The beds were not comfortable. At night there was so much noise coming from outside so it really is not for the light sleeper. The only good thing about this hostel is its location.

It seems that half of the staff actually lives in the 12-bed dorm room, so it felt like imposing on someone's home rather than a dorm. There were lots of people napping during the day and coming back between 3-4 am wtih no regard for the others (ie, leaving the light on when there are clearly people sleeping). Also,there was never ANY toilet paper in the bathrooms.. you always had to ask! And frequently there'd be no hot water. But the "staff" always offered to bring you upstairs to shower.

• 1st May 2015

We got a private room which was in a different building than the hostel. This was nice in terms of noise, but but it hard to avail ourselves of the hostel's other amenities (aside from WiFi, which we had access to, thankfully). Unfortunately, part of the reason we got a private room was to have the kitchenette...but our fridge didn't work, so we had to throw away food. Also, the bathroom smelled constantly of sewage. On the plus side, the location and privacy were excellent.

• 26th Apr 2015

Very pleasant helpful staff . Very relaxed atmosphere

Friendly people, enjoyed my time there

The hostel was in a very nice location. I think we arrived earlier than expected, so when we got to our room the floor was very dirty. Otherwise, however, the sheets were clean and comfortable. The bathroom facilities were good, but definitely did not offer a lot of privacy--it was a coed bathroom with see-through shower doors, so if you are not comfortable with that situation I would not recommend this hostel. Otherwise, everything else worked out fine.

No printer to print. Rude cleaning lady who started pushing me to get out of the bathroom when I wanted to brush my teeth (she was African and did it speak English). Told her to stop pushing me and she kept pushing me. Toilets ran out of toilet paper twice. One sink has no running water at all. Looks like renovations on bathroom done on the cheap. Friendly reception staff that were helpful and friendly. Mattress was thin and sheets did not feel clean. Good location in the Old Town. Ok price.

Beds were not comfortable. Also the air conditition wasnt working.

Not impressed with this hostel for the money we paid, bedding was dirty - fridge stunk of off food - no locks on toilets/shower.

No such thing as a double room as a private room, may as well of been a dorm. We could here everything through the thin walls, bathroom had no lock on it so had to stand gard for eachother while showing. Got moved to a different room same story but the room was a little bigger.. We could move in that one.

Perfect location - in the heart of old nice. Few steps from Colline de Chateau's belvedere. The hostel's building / stairs and common areas are quite old, however, the rooms are renovated and the toilets are bright and tidy! I would definetely stay there again!

• 11th Apr 2015

Not the cleanest place, but the best location you could possibly ask for in Nice. It is definitely worth it. I don't think I would have like the city nearly as much if I hadn't stayed here. The man who runs it is very kind and it is very close to the Flower Market (which also sells delicious food) and is just a lot of fun. I would recommend.

We had a really nice stay in the hostel. We arrvied very early at 7am and we noticed abit late that the hostel opens at 9, but with luck we were able to enter the hostel and wait in the lobby untill a tha man of the rezeption came. And he was absolutly ffriendly. He already invited us to have some breakfast and gave us a bed to sleep some hours also we hadnt pay for that night. Then we left our luggage there and went to see nice. It is a perfect place. Just the kitchen is pretty small...

I loved this hostel for the atmosphere. The facilities were not by any means good-- the kitchen has no oven, just two burners and a microwave; the breakfast is just jam and bread and coffee; the hot water works in the morning, but at night it's ice cold; some of the staff is nice and others are cold; the key deposit is 10 euros; the room I was staying in smelled like a guys college dorm. However, I met some of the coolest people-- I was only supposed to stay 5 days and I stayed 12. Your call.

I stayed for two nights and had a wonderful time with wonderful people!

Very central location, bathroom, toilets and WIFI are good. Though, the bed quality is poor, darkness cannot be achieved due to the curtains, and it's very noisy even after midnight due to the bad window.

• 18th Mar 2015
  • Israel

The kitchen was too small for The people who was staying there. At night was a little noisy sometimes too late.

I was in Nice for Carnival and enjoyed my stay at Hostel Smith. The hostel is located just a few minutes from all of the activities for Carnival and as well to the beach. Very clean and i liked that you can rent a key so that you have access to the hostel at any time. The only thing that i did not like was that the showers and sinks were in one room and the showers had glass doors, so if someone else entered to brush their teeth you had no privacy.