Hostel Smith Reviews

20 Rue Droite, Nice, France

No real atmosphere or opportunity to meet people. No common area. frank was a real asset he helped out immensely

Rooms looked like they hadn't been cleaned in years. Bathrooms were dirty- toilet paper was often non existent. Floors looked like they hadn't been washed in a while. Extremely hard place to find. Don't look for a sign cause you won't find one. Not a lot of room to sit down in kitchen. Otherwise really close to beach. Perfect old town location. We did book a 14 person dorm and one night they squeezed another bed in- cause it wasn't crowded enough. Door really needs to be fixed.

The only good thing is that it's in the old city and close to the beach.

Good location, friendly staff, friendly people. Not so clean, but all in all. Book it! We where to buddys, sleeping in a 10 bed rom. Good good:)

Perfect location in the old town of Nice, close to tram and buses out of the city, close to the beach! Quite some noise from the street at nights (during summer). Staff very welcoming and helpful. You don't get much room/space for the price you pay but overall a very nice, cosy hostel.

• 11th Jul 2014
  • Denmark

Very kind and helpfull staf.

• 30th Jun 2014
  • Denmark

Make sure you use the lockers provided! Obviously they can't screen every guest that comes in and there were some thefts in my dorm while I stayed. However it was because people left phones and wallets in hand bags and not locked up when they had come in from a night out. Easy target! Other than that very clean and great location.

It was very disappointing to learn they didn't have actual lockers to leave our luggage in when we were out of our room. The room was actually very clean, but the pillows were so old and grungy it was disgusting. I used my sweatshirt instead. The main guy at the front desk was super helpful & awesome, but when he was on lunch, the guy who filled in had no idea about anything! Good value for the location though, so I would recommend it.

• 25th Jun 2014

Considering the fact that Nice is expensive, we expected that Hostel Smith would not be the best hostel we would stay at. The 6 bed dorm we stayed at was tiny and my friend and I were very grateful that the remaining 4 beds were not occupied during our stay. The bathrooms were very new and very clean. The check in was delayed till the evening because there were technical problems and wouldn't let us even take a shower. Overall, although expensive but still a budget hostel in Nice.

Everything feels good for me. I arrived very late in the middle of the night because of flight delay but the reception girl was very nice to me when I arrived. She showed me my bed and locker. Breakfast was rather little and plain, just bread and jam/ coffee and tea. But It was fine for me cause I always buy some food myself during my trip. Location in the old town near the beach which is great! I think it is all you need to see in Nice. Train station is far away though, but trams are convenient

Bathroom and shared space very dirty. Terrible wifi. Lost 20 euro as staff did not tell us the desk is shut at 7am so could not get deposit back.

• 21st Jun 2014

good location in the old centre, private rooms are in an annex 5 minutes away by foot; breakfast is free although in a very small kitchen with only one table in it; staff is friendly and helpfull; good price-quality

The building was dirty & smelly but once inside, it was ok. We stayed in a superior room which was comfortable but had no lights except 1 lamp which was bizarre! Bathroom was new &clean except that the shower rooms were 95% see through!(quite the scandal!)Location was PERFECT! Staff was very friendly except the lady who asked us to pay to use the toilet after checkout and then turned off the water supply half way through the shower because 'we were finishing their water'! I MEAN WE EVEN PAID!

Only women room's toilet couldn't be locked. So I told staff. And that day It was fixed.But toilet was toooo small. And wifi was not working very well. Also, there is not air conditional. So I don't recommend this hostel. And Old woman staff and very tall man staff who can't speak english were very rude.

• 13th Jun 2014
  • South Korea

Had a really good stay, loved the location in the older part of town, and the staff was extremely helpful with good recommendations. Would have been nice to have a fan or some A/C in the room though, it was pretty stifling. Overall, we would definitely stay with you all again!

That the staff are very unhelpful. There was one lovely lady from the UK i think that helped us a lot. Other than that there is no information displayed about Nice and when we did ask someone something he was to busy on the computer to even turn around and look at us.

Best hostel that I've stayed at thus far! The staff were very kind and helpful!

• 4th Jun 2014

We booked a private double room and when we arrived we heared that our appartement was located somewhere else. I think you should tell this in advance because we booked this hostel because of it's location. Luckily the location of the appartement was fine as well but I still think people should know this before they book! The beakfast was terrible, coffee was all days finished and there where no plates ect.

Ratio service/money was poor: no place to hang clothes in the room, awfull stench from the toilet. On the other hand staff was young and nice.

Rm 115 is directly over a bar which played very loud rock until very late, miserable trying to get to sleep. Otherwise good stay 2 blks from metro station.

• 24th May 2014