Hostel Smith Reviews

20 Rue Droite, Nice, France

The position is perfect, just 1 minute from the beach, it's in the main place of old town and near to a lot of pubs ( I suggest earplugs for sleep). There is no air conditioning. The room (14 beds) was clean and all of us had the locker. There were 2 showers but they were trasparent, this I didn't like too much... anyway the water was warm! Check-in is from 9 to 24. There is no curfew, if you pay 30 euro of deposit you have your key! I suggest this hostel for 2-3 days, not for one week! :)

Stayed here for one night, solo young female traveller. Pretty basic experience--the hostel seemed to have some organizational problems, but overall not too bad. As other reviewers have mentioned, it is loud at night but most deep sleepers won't mind. GREAT location right in the heart of the Vieux Port. Overall enjoyed my stay.

They mention in the directions that the sign is small, but not that it is in the doorway above the buzzers to get into the building. So while it is easy to find it is hard to know that you've found it. The bar downstairs stays open and loud until about 4am. The lights in my room didn't work, and there was zero privacy in the showers. The wifi works once you get connected but it takes forever to connect. The free breakfast is just coffee/tea and bread/jam. Ok for one or two nights but not more.

Hostel was ok for the money, but a few things could've been better. There was no lights in our room so we had to manage in the dark at night. Bathroom had no soap to wash hands nor towels or anything, so plan ahead for that! Also it was annoying to have to go ask for the room key at the reception and bring it back to them every time we would come back to our room.. Location is great though, and staff was helpful!

Stayed in the 13 pax dorm on the reception floor to begin with. Super noisy bunks, paper thin mattress, noise from street and pub downstairs as there was no aircon so the windows had to be left open. shower and toilet not lockable. Shower was hand held. i got moved upstairs for a couple of nights which was better (new shower & toilet facilities). due to the lock out a guy came back drunk and knocked on the door and woke everyone up. Maybe suggest no lock out or make everyone get a key.

Ok, this hostel, technically, was the worst I have ever stayed in, the room was gritty, at 5am bottles crashed outside for an hour and the hostel kitchen has a very liberal label of kitchen. But I have to say, this is one of my favourite hostel experiences. It really grew on me, me the people who stay there are just the best. Be prepared to get no sleep but have a great time.

Location is good in the sense that it is close to the beach and very central but that also has its disadvantages since there is an Irish Pub just below it so its very noisy at night. The price is not worth it! Id rather have paid 5€ extra to have stayed somewhere else. We also had a situation with the staff where the receptionist didnt want to give our 30€ key deposit back which led to quite an arguement but then the guy who checked us in came in and resolved the situation.

• 12th Aug 2015