Hostel Solar dos Romanos Reviews

Rua Alfredo de Brito n.14, Salvador, Brazil

I would not recommend this place. We wanted to get a bus and booked a transfer to the station. We were given the wrong time completely (3 hours out) and the transfer was forgotten about which collectively meant we nearly missed our connection. Other than that the hostel is at best average...clean enough, quiet, with one general use computer. The pros are the location and the breakfast, although other hostels in historical centre offer the same location and food at the same price.

• 13th Nov 2013

The owner is a great guy! Helped us a lot finding the right places to go, and also Lended a hand to buy our flight tickets with his card!! Very funny and speaks many languages! Pelourinho (the area where the hostel is) is a bit dangerous but it's where all the cool things are, the Main Street is amazing!

• 13th Sep 2013
  • All Male Group, 18-24

A very friendly place as well as clean! Mornong breakfast, perfect! Location, perfect! Security, execellent!

The dorms were large and airy which was nice but there was no real common room. People would hang out a little in the breakfast area, but it wasn't the same as having a proper common area. The staff were OK but there is only minimal English spoken. During carnival you are in the middle of the family friendly section, which means 18 hours a day of drumming and its a mission to get to Barra.

NO WIFI IN SECOND AND FOLLOW FLOORS!!!

Nice place in the center, and a nice staff.

• 12th Dec 2012

The location, atmosphere, and staff at Hostel Solar dos Romanos were excellent. The staff helped in many ways, especially when my luggage was lost by an airline after arrival in Salvador. Fernando was an especially good guide who gave me excellent assistance while I photographed at some sites in Salvador, as he spoke very good English and had valuable information about the local places of interest. The breakfast of many types of fruit, bread, ham, and cake was also excellent. Ann Mason,USA

• 30th Nov 2012

I miss this hostel, felt like at home when I was staying there. The staff were nice, friendly and helpful. I liked the way Gareth (sorry for mis-spelling) said 'no problem' everytime I asked him for help. The hotel location was at the heart of Pelourinho, so it was worthed to stay there to explore the centro historico area by walking.

Nice hostel, excellent location

Location is very good, breakfast is good as well. Had a pretty bad room: No windows, hot water in the shower didn´t work, very noisy. From my room I could hear everything, that was going on at the reception and could also hear the receptionist watching TV at night. There was only one guy who spoke english. Would definitely not recommend this hostel, although other rooms might be better. Came back to Pelourinho one week later and stayed in a different hostel nearby, which was much better.

The room has window and the shower works very well. The hostel has 3 recepcionists that speak english and there's a person 24 hrs. in the reception room for anything that the customers need.

Can't talk highly enough about this hostel. Location in the middle of Pelourinho is unbeatable, room we had on the first floor was amazingly airy and clean, staff were all very helpful and pleasant, and security is tight, Breakfast spread was also excellent. It's also pretty quiet so you can get your sleep. Essentially, if you are staying in the Pelo (and you really should if you want to enjoy Salvador properly), you should go here.

The beds had real mattresses and not just a thin pad on a wooden frame. The beds were extremely comfortable and came with free sheets and towels. Our room had two large windows and a fan with multiple settings which always kept the room at the perfect temperature. The staff are a little quirky but nice and there is always someone who speaks English. Lockers are provided at no cost on all the floors. I would have felt more safe if the lockers were inside the rooms but we did not have any problems

Hotel like services and location for a hostel price. Located in a centre of Pelourinho, but there was no noise from the street as the room windows where to the other side of house. Safe and clean. Would recommend to friends.

Really good location in the Pelo. Nice breakfasts. Would reccomend and stay again if in Pelo. Not a party hostel, which was good for me. 2nd floor double privite room I stayed in was nice & classic style, doors opened onto terrace with bay view (not amazing view but very pleasant to have on your doorstep!) Up some more steep steps I stayed also in a smaller single (basic but fine).

The staff were very friendly and helpful, and offered us a free airport transfer after there was a mistake with our reservation. We had a beautiful view of the bay from our room! lots of steep stairs were the only drawback.

Great location in the heart of the old town. Spotless rooms, great breakfast, staff including the domestic staff very polite and helpful. Beds comfy.

Fabulous location in the heart of Lapa. Staff very friendly, helpful, good english, good fun and make great cheap caipirinhas. Beds a bit on the hard side and often had to wait to get a shower. Breakfast good.

The hostel is nice, staff is great, rooms are clean and with a great view - the only problem is the huge stairs to the second floor. But it's located at the heart of Pelourinho and that area is not safe at night. It's a beatiful place to visit during the day, but at night there's not many option of nice restaurants and bars and it gets really dangerous in advanced hours (police says you can't walk through streets that haven't been renewed and you there's people selling drugs on every corner).

My experience in the hostel was very great! The staff is fantastic. The guys are always attentive to your needs and they help you in all you ask. The hostel is situated in the center o the historic neigbourhood Pelourinho. It is very clean, you have internet for free at the reception and the breakfast it is ok. I really recommend it!

Excellent option, rooms very clean, breakfast good and in case you arrive late they organize the taxi to pick you up