Hostel Urbano Reviews

San Pedro in front of Kennedy Park, adjacent to Municipalidad Montes de Oca, San Jose, Costa Rica

All the staff at hostel urbano (even the ghost!) are wonderful, kind people with lots of love to give. Stayed for two weeks and just couldn't pry myself away. Be warned, it's all downhill from here; Urbano is the nicest place I've had the pleasure of staying. Feels like home from the first moment. A truly special place.

The hostel is new, really clean and has a very relaxed vibe. I stayed in a dorm room and the beds were really comfy. They also had really large lockers for your stuff. The staff were friendly and helpful, and explained everything really well. I really liked the common areas, which were relaxing and open, with cool and quirky decor. The hostel is close to the university, banks, supermarkets, cafes and restaurants. Would definitely recommend this hostel!

I had high expectations for this hostel, but was a bit disappointed with my stay. I was only here for a night. Our room was in the front and very loud, there was loud banging throughout the night that sounded like a firework or gunshot. The shared bathrooms were not all that clean and when I checked in, the person at the front desk was not very helpful. At the end of the day, it got the job done and was a cheap place to stay in San Jose. Walking distance to some bars and restaurants.

• 5th Dec 2015

Place was pretty decent overall! Security was evident from the minute you pull up, looks a bit like a prison from the outside but better that than a vulnerable target. Location was a bit out of the center of San Jose, kind of on its own but not out of the way. Staff was rarely friendly, but helpful enough. Clean except from a cockroach I saw in the living room. Definitely affordable- just can't recommend staying in San Jose in general anymore. Go to Guanacaste, Arenal, anywhere but San Jose.

If I could take this hostel with me to all the other places I travelled too I would! I loved the place. It´s beautifull, it´s clean, it´s relaxing and erveryone is verry friendly and helpfull. Thanks for everything! Loved my stay and would ALWAYS come back! The pankaces in he morning are fantastic! And the airport pick up is perfect. Nothing to worry or think about after an 16 hour flight!

I really enjoyed Hostel Urbano. It was close to a fun bar district and the staff was very helpful. My only regret is that we didn't stay longer.

The staff was amazing there are so knowledgeable and helpful and caring for their customers and new friends

• 30th Nov 2015

We had a wonderful stay! My husband and I were traveling through Costa Rica on a budget and decided to stay in San Jose at a Hostel. We stayed in a private room with a private bathroom and it was perfect. Comfortable bed, clean sheets and spacious! The staff was also very helpful with suggestions to eat and also drink.... :) We would definitely recommend Hostel Urbano for anyone traveling alone or with company.

• 27th Nov 2015

Juan the receptionist was an amazing host. This was by far means the most familiar hostel I've ever stayed in. For dinner we cooked togehter and had lovely chats. Hostel is very clean an big and offers a lot of facilities (even a tv with english channels for the rainy days). It's a bit outside town, a cab to the airport cost me $30 but it was worth staying there. Had a very big and comfty bed and was very quiet. Would def come again!

Staff was friendly and helpful, pointed us to a great spot for a cheap delicious dinner. Hostel was clean and cozy, would definitely recommend or stay here again if we came back to San Jose.

• 20th Nov 2015

Loved this place and it was my first hostel stay. The place is nice and such a great value plus Juan is amazing!

A really nice hostel in a really nice part of San Jose. Staff are super friendly and seem to genuinely care about your experience

Only stayed for one night but the hostel is great. Dorms were spacious, beds amazing. Bathrooms were not the greatest but did the job. Breakfast (included) was simple but nice. Cool garden and the small details in the hostel design makes it nice. Atmosphere was good too and the staff were simply amazing. Really friendly and helpfull. Would stay here again! Max

I stayed in Urbano in 2 different occasions. It is well located, safe, clean, with many little details. The kitchen is the most equipped one I have ever seen. Quiet time from 10pm, amazing breakfast & different every day. Juan is awesome, makes you feel home from minute one. Very friendly staff in the reception. I was very happy to have chosen it!

Absolutely loved Hostel Urbano. The staff is amazing -- they made me feel right at home when I was homesick and helped me plan my trip. Juan especially -- he helped me get a SIM card, cooked delicious homemade Spanish omelettes and made us popcorn and tea when we were watching movies. The location in San Pedro is really great too. Breakfast was delicious, loved the outdoor backyard and having a little TV room was nice for rainy afternoons. Definitely would stay here again!

Really nice hostel in a good location... Big social area with tv, garden and a nice and perfectly equipped kitchen. The staff is really nice and helpful! Also the breakfast is good. Nothing is missing! One of the best hostels... But sometimes the shared bathrooms are a bit dirty...

The staff is so friendly and helpful. Juan is a very interesting man and caring worker.

• 6th Nov 2015

Hostel Urbano has become my favourite hostel. It's clean and spacious, the staff are friendly and helpful, and it's only $12 a night for the dorms. The only minor annoyance is that there are not quite enough bathrooms for the dorms.

I would highly recommend Hostel Urbano for anyone passing through San Jose. The staff are friendly and have a wealth of knowledge to recommend places to see close to San Jose or all around the country. Very good atmosphere (love the back garden!). Not in the heart of downtown (which I personally liked), but is a short bus ride away.

It has a very warm home away from home atmosphere. It is definitely not a party hostel if that's what u are looking for