Hostel Utopia Reviews

nieuwezijds voorburgwal 132, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Very small room but clean and great location... True what they say about the stairs but no bed bugs. Was fine for one night. Our top floor room was cute and cosy with a tv and sink. No hand wash anywhere though, put some in please hostel utopia!

• 19th Mar 2014

Don't fall down the stairs, it hurts.

• 28th Feb 2014

I woukd recommend this Place to any group of friends looking for somewhere to stay cheap but still have a good base to stay at , the woman who works there is first class camt fault her for all her help and the free hot choccy was lovely on checkout day :)

• 24th Feb 2014
  • Wales

Friendly staff, very helpful and thanks for your help. I found the place clean and clientele friendly. No issues. Bring a small / med size padlock for your locker. No issues & thanks for your help.

• 10th Feb 2014

four of us in all stayed at the hostel, was a great location, wasn't too noisy, everything was great until we checked out... the check out clerk, started kicking off about unnecessary matters, and starting bring up irrelevant material, after being a therapist for a good half an hour we shaked hands and went our separate ways... overall I was very happy, until the end when we felt no longer welcomed....overall i would give 4/5

• 4th Feb 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

We stayed in on of the private double rooms. Ours was, although very small, nice and relatively clean. The bed is big but a bit too soft. The only real problem was a very strong cigarette smell. If you go there in warmer months there are windows to ventilate the room. In the winter this solution has its downsides.

• 2nd Feb 2014
  • Portugal

The price was higher in the end than the price that appeared in the booking. Also the man who checked us in never told us that we would need a key for the main door to come back late at night wich was problematic, when they at first didn't want to let us in at 4 in the morning. The same man told us we could leave our luggage there by checkout, wich wasn't true. Early checkout at 10:30. The good thing about the hostel was definitely the location.

• 17th Jan 2014
  • Sweden

The stairs were really small, someone with a big suitcase would have problem going up, and there are no elevators. The only thing i really didnt like was that they didnt had a place for you to leave your bag after the check out. We were leaving only in the night and we had to carry our bags around all day long.

For 8 Euro a Night. And nice staff. guest can smoke own and eat there. Rooms needs a face lift really bad (some fresh paint will do), but at lest it was clean. I'll maybe come back, if the price is right.

Generally speaking there was nothing wrong with my stay but I would not be returning. as yes okay. • Stairs are one thing... not having a decent hand rail is another •There was no shower on the top floor. • We spent most of our time out of the hostel worrying we were going to be robbed. • The sheets themselves looked clean but everything else in the room did not!!! Only plus was I could smoke and forget what kinda sh*t hole I was staying in!

Well, the Hostel is attached to a coffeehouse, which is fun, but the stairs are very steep and winding to get up to the rooms. I stayed on the top floor in a 2 bed room, slanted roof reminded me of Anne Frank's struggle during Germany's occupation of Amsterdam. There was a sink, and the radiator worked, but when we got there the last persons' sheets were in the room on the ground, had to sleep the first night with an airport blanket as thin as a tissue on a plastic mattress. Also, overpaid.

Great location. The only thing was it was allowed to smoke in the room.... hostel itself has a coffee shop down stairs n they should only allow to smoke in the coffee shop n not in the room!

I thought Hostel Utopia had a great atmosphere, very friendly and laid back staff, amazing location right in the center, and a good coffee shop downstairs. The room were we stayed was perfectly clean as was all the other facilities in the hostel, it didn't feel run down or neglected. The coffee shop was always welcoming and had a good mix of travelers and tourists all with the same chilled vibe. I would definitely stay here again during my next trip to Amsterdam and recommend it highly to all.

• 24th Nov 2013
  • Faustinetttte

Good location, but it is the only nice thing.

It was nothing like the pictures. very small, very narrow, doesn't even mention on the site that its shared bathroom. The rooms have no facilities, very poorly furnished, and very dark. Overall, it sucked.

Great location, room smelt of smoke and whole area smelt of weed. Price during the week is great not so much during weekends. No common room just the coffee shop below. Would stay here again if during the week just for the pricing.

We went as a group of 6 so booked the 6 bed dorm, meaning we could just lock the door instead of having lockers etc, room was basic but ideal, shower is really good, beds are comfy enough. The location was very good, only takes about 5 minutes to get to the square if that. The staff were more then helpful and the coffee shop was brilliant, nice chilled vibe with comfy seats and good weed! If your looking for just simplicity and ease, this is the place

• 22nd Oct 2013

Location and friendly staff get the double thumbs up from me, and for the money you pay you can't ask for anything better. This was exactly the kind of experience I wanted for my first hostel stay. I'll be staying there again in the future!!

• 16th Oct 2013