Hostel Utopia Reviews

nieuwezijds voorburgwal 132, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Very over-priced for what you got. Paper-thin walls, small rooms & our room had a window which wouldn't shut. I was hoping that the bad reviews were just stuck-up old biddy's, but unfortunately this was not the case. The bad reviews are right. Would NOT recommend.

• 12th Dec 2014

There is no way to check out before 8:30 so you will lose your deposit if you have an early flight!! Im madddd cuz of this!!

• 11th Dec 2014

Very dirty place and small room. Looking nothing like the pictures. The guy came at 4am in the morning to ask for the money whereas the other one told us earlier we could pay the day after. I will never go back and don't recommend it

• 5th Dec 2014

Was a good hostel for it's price, considering everything in Amsterdam is grossly over priced!! The cleanliness of the hostel was a problem however, there was a blood splatter in our dirty bathroom the showers were gross and they didn't lock! Coffee shop had a great atmosphere and the Norwegian lady at the front desk was charming :) good price for location and what you get, perfect for a couple of days stopover.

Stayed here last weekend, All members of staff very accommodating and chatty, especially 'The Stoned Guy' who DOES have a name! Basic accommodation, don't expect a lot feature, view or luxury-wise. If, however, you need a bed to sleep in for about 2-4 hours between periods of getting hammered, Utopia is the perfect place. It is close to Centraal station and Daam square, about 10 minutes each way. The coffeeshop is open nice and early so you can go in there and wake yourself up in the morning.

• 21st Nov 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

I should have read the other reviews before booking. Hostel had bed bugs and I was eaten alive during my stay there. My advice, wear all your clothes to bed or stay somewhere else.

Very good hostel and definitely worth £12 a night. Was worried that the cleanliness wouldn't be good due to reading a few bad reviews after booking but was pleasantly surprised (no bed bugs). The overall location is very convenient as its close to pretty much everything you need. Overall rating 8/10

• 17th Nov 2014
  • Wales

the only good thing abt the hostel is, it is close to "Amsterdam attractions"

• 15th Nov 2014
  • Iran

The location is great and from what I saw the dorms seemed OK but we were in one of the private rooms for two and our room was under the roof, with not even a meter where we could stand up. Now if it was super cheap I wouldn't have cared because we weren't looking for anything fancy but we still paid 240 euros for three nights... Now it's true that accommodations in Amsterdam don't come cheap but for the room we had it still seems like way too much. The hostel is otherwise clean.

• 8th Nov 2014

Really lovely environment, I enjoyed staying there :)

• 29th Oct 2014

Owner is an arrogant arse, terrible check in/out system. Would not recommend!

• 23rd Oct 2014

Stay away! At check-in, you’ll probably be sent to another hostel with rude staff. The rooms upstairs are awful, you can’t sit up straight in bed (sloped ceilings and tiny). The mattresses are filthy and uneven, so don’t expect a pleasant night’s sleep. The wifi signal is non-existent on the top floor. The rooms and bathrooms weren’t clean, and there aren’t enough for the number of guests. It’s honestly not worth the money you’d save to stay here, and I didn't even get bedbugs like the others...

• 17th Oct 2014

At the arrival (2-september-2014), My wife and daughter WERE NOT ACCEPTED, because a lady said the HOSTEL UTOPIA IS ONLY FOR ADULTS (my daughter is 17 years and 11 months old. In fact she was 18 years old on 10 septembre, 8 DAYS LATER). I HAVE NOT SEEN in the advertising of the Hostel UTOPIAthat is only for adults. Please tell me how I may do a claim against the hostel to the Dutch authorities. Many thanks. Regards. Miguel Borrero

• 17th Sep 2014
  • Spain

CoffeeBar is a nice place but the room for 3 person is very small and the beds are not so good. The location of Hotel is excellent just few minutes to Dam and canals.

Room was very small and dirty, the bed was broken and uneven making it very uncomfortable to sleep in. One of the staff came into our locked room without knocking (for what reason he didn't say..). Shower door didn't lock and the toilet was leaking all the time. It says that you can smoke in the hotel, but you can't, you can only smoke in the coffee shop attached to the hotel and there's better places to go than that. Only positive was that the location was good.

Tiny toilets. Smallest I have ever been in! Night manager is a bit rude. Barging into the room in the morning without knocking to remind you to check out in 15mins. Wtf?! 8 bed room should only be a 6 (like it looks like it was originally) Very cramped. Also rooms on front of building get extremely hot in the warmer weather. Good location, but stay somewhere else with more atmosphere.

Reception closed half of the time. Have to go to another hostel down the street to check in (their staff seem to hate it). No common area. Private room very small under the roof. Wifi password indicated wrong. Wifi not working on the third floor. Only advantage is the good location in city center.

• 4th Sep 2014

The room was filthy and the bed had bed bugs. I ended up with loads of bites that swelld up something awful. The stairs are a death trap, just so steep (we were on the top floor). Even with the location we wouldn't stay here again. Also €20 for a key deposit is ridiculously high and the coffee shop is a pokey little s**t hole with a very rude. All of this is lorded over buy a rude and sketchy man. Please dont ignore the reviews like we did, its been two weeks and my bites still itch.

I liked the hostel owned coffe shop ^^

Considering the price, I was very happy. The room was the most basic as can be, but thats what you expect. the beds were comfortable.

• 2nd Sep 2014