Hostel Utopia Reviews

nieuwezijds voorburgwal 132, Amsterdam, Netherlands

We went as a group of 6 so booked the 6 bed dorm, meaning we could just lock the door instead of having lockers etc, room was basic but ideal, shower is really good, beds are comfy enough. The location was very good, only takes about 5 minutes to get to the square if that. The staff were more then helpful and the coffee shop was brilliant, nice chilled vibe with comfy seats and good weed! If your looking for just simplicity and ease, this is the place

• 22nd Oct 2013

Location and friendly staff get the double thumbs up from me, and for the money you pay you can't ask for anything better. This was exactly the kind of experience I wanted for my first hostel stay. I'll be staying there again in the future!!

• 16th Oct 2013

For the ones who only want to take drugs and sleep, not for the one who wants to tourism in the city.

We loved our stay at Hostel Utopia. The location is pretty much perfect.. close to the town and the sights. You can easily skip taking the tram and walk from the main station if that's how you're planning to arrive too. The staff were welcoming and made you feel quite at home. We also had a difficult check out time but it wasn't any problem.

+ good location + good staff + good cofeeshop - stairs too small - sleep with 8/6 people and share bath with 14

• 3rd Oct 2013
  • Cyprus

coming back on june!!!!!

• 2nd Oct 2013
  • Israel

I've stayed there for 5 nights because of my conference. Before going there I've read comments about this hotel and felt a little bit worried. But at my big surprise, it's not that bad! Helpul receptionist, clean room, bed sheet and towel are ok. A little inconvenient when we have to share bathroom and toilet. But other than that, I think it's worth what you pay for.

The place is very small, very dirty, very uncomfortable, basically a tiny smelly room with no facilities of any kind. I payed 240 euros for two night to sleep in an attic.

Clean and comfortable room with a great shower. Good place if you just want a bed or are travelling with friends. There's no kitchen or common area so no atmosphere.

you have to clean up!

• 16th Sep 2013

Private 3 person room was a double bed with single bunk above. Room had a sink. The bedroom, shared shower room and shared toilet were all clean. Deposit required for keys to room and front door. Good location close to dam square, city centre and red light district. Utopia is a nice coffee shop with rooms above, so there is no noisy bar or communal areas. Staff were friendly and helpful. I would stay again or recomend to friends.

• 6th Sep 2013

The Hostel Utopia is situated on the hearth of the centre, that's a very good point. The coffee shop downstairs belongs to the hostel, it's quite convenient to take a coffee after the waking. However, one of the bad point of this hostel is the staff behavior, they are unwelcoming and not polite with their customers. Except that, I strongly recommend this youth hostel for its location and also for its cheap price.

• 4th Sep 2013

the lady working at the coffeeshop/reception was lovely.

Everything was good there was just a few things. First of all the room was just very very small for how expensive it is. And the stairs are very precarious and the last flit to the top floor doesn't have a hand rail which made things difficult . Then on our day of departure we asked the night before if we could store our bags at reception as our flight wasnt untill later in the day and the man there said of course but the next day there was a different person there and she said she couldn't .

• 2nd Sep 2013

The hostel is located right above a coffeeshop, and so you can smell weed whenever you have your window open. Very steep and narrow staircases. I only had a small suitcase and a medium-sized backpack, but struggled to literally "climb up" the stairs. My room is at the top floor, and the nearest shower room is one level down. The room is very small and narrow.

Friendly staff & great location

Location is ok, the double room is very small and internet is not always working. Location is great and also quite place. Overall is ok value for money

Good hostel, staff was nice, and very cool coffeeshop,

• 8th Aug 2013

Mice in room! Disgusting.

• 31st Jul 2013
  • Czech Republic

Nice location in Amsterdam, just a short walk to all spots in the central area of the city. Check in is in the coffee shop downstairs, so if you dont like the coffee shops in Amsterdam, it may be better to check out somewhere else, as this is a big part of the hostel. On that note, the weed is good. Rooms are clean and there are lockers to use, only thing is there is just the coffee shop to chill out in and no common area outside of the shop front.