Hostel Utopia Reviews

nieuwezijds voorburgwal 132, Amsterdam, Netherlands

They dont have a common area or a kitchen. Its really a ROOM ONLY, that you have to lock with a key from inside and outside every time you leave, So most likely the rooms are unlocked at night (no one has time to find a key just to go to the bathroom). Also the hostel front desk is Next door in the "Coffee shop". So if you dont like that kind of thing, too bad, you still have to be in it, just to talk to the front desk.

• 17th Jun 2013

The beds look not really clean, and there is a "coffee shop" below, it is smelly in the toilet as somebody smoke cannabis inside. And the stairs are very steep. If you don't like cannabis, it is not recommended to stay here as there may be some cannabis takers in the room.

• 13th Jun 2013
  • Hong Kong

Very good! good location, staff friendly.

No kitchen or common space to hang out.

The lobby of this hostel is an Amsterdam "coffee shop" so if that's not your thing, beware. The beds were clean and comfy but the toilet/shower was awful. Very small, and not clean. The stairs are also scary to climb. Weekends in Amsterdam are crazy expensive and it really doesn't feel like it's worth it but there wasn't much else available in the city so it worked. The location is good. A few blocks from Dam Square and from the Anne Frank House on a really quiet street.

I've stayed in hostels before so I know what to expect but the conditions in hostel utopia were disgusting! Thoroughly soiled sheets and towels (lucky I had my own towel) and don't bring a bag bigger than a back pack because you'll have to push anything else up a virtually vertical, steep staircase. But the biggest issue for me was an infestation of bed bugs! I recieved 20 bites all over my body!!! DO NOT STAY HERE!

• 31st May 2013

The staff was very nice and the coffee shop next door was cute. However the bathroom situation was far from cleanly. The first night my friend and I were unable to find the sink... Bathrooms are too small men have a tendency to miss toliet seat because they can't stand in front of the toilet. My sheets were damp upon arrival, and there were some questionable stains on them... However I do have to say the bed was quit comfortable. Only 3 outlets for a room of 8.. not efficient.

• 29th May 2013

The hostel was located only a 5 minute walk from the central train station and was pretty close to the center of town. This place is not fancy at all, so if you're looking for more than a bed and a shower go else where. The room was clean and the beds weren't too bad. The bathrooms were cleaned once a day but they still weren't too bad.

good location... hard to get the staff to focus solely on your booking as it is also a cafe so you have to wait. should probably say somehwere on the print out reference that it is cash only. I made sure I wasn't in the hostel whenever I could.

This was our first day in Amsterdam and the staff was very friendly and accommodating in helping us. The coffee shop is a cool place to hang out (I would recommend only eating half the muffin.... haha). The room itself was sub par... we had the double private and it was tiny and awkward. It does have a sink though and was acceptably clean. WIFI only in the coffee shop and it closes at night but you can still stand outside and use it if necessary. Prices double on weekends.

Well is a coffeeshop place. My bed has a hole in the middle and had a bad night. Is nice people.. but bad place.

• 14th May 2013

Small double bed room in the loft of the apartment so a slanted roof on one side - cramped but VERY central, worth paying the extra to stay here and walk the city than paying for trams. 24hr access via seperate door is a plus, but strict on the 2pm check in. Would stay again for an express trip!

If all you want is a bed to sleep in, a shower, toilet and perhaps a smoke then this is the place for you, but don't expect anything more than that.

The cost it's OK for the location (Amsterdam its expensive, OK), but I hope a place more friendly, with common spaces to share with another people, not just the rooms and almost nothing more. I went alone and I hope knew people in the hostel, but the estructure, the format of the place, not work for it. The rest was only OK. Please, for that price...

• 30th Apr 2013
  • Chile
  • Male

For them not to lie in there website

• 30th Apr 2013

3 of us stayed here recently for a weekend away. Rooms are below average but was expected for the price. One of the beds was unsafe to sleep on so we had to share. Don't waste your time on the shower water trickles out. Sink in room does an ok job though. For somewhere to sleep this is fine enough. Have to get through 2 doors with a key to room so belongings felt safe. Coffeeshop below is run by some lovely people. Location is good 5 mins from station and dam square.

• 26th Apr 2013

Perfect if u like a smoke

Basic but so central and the staff in the coffeeshop are fantastic.

• 19th Apr 2013

My bed was nice and clean when I arrived and I certainly saw no rats. The ensuite had some cobwebs in corners which should be cleaned but other than that our room was fine. The toilet and shower was cleaned everyday also. Maybe they hired a cleaner since reading the bad reviews? Lockers are like tin cans and could be pried open. Better lockers please! The staircase is very steep, but its a genuine old Dutch building so you can't complain. The Coffeeshop and the staff were excellent.

• 19th Apr 2013

it was really nice place, beds where soft, and rooms where warm

• 18th Apr 2013