Hostel Utopia Reviews

nieuwezijds voorburgwal 132, Amsterdam, Netherlands

The stairs were really small, someone with a big suitcase would have problem going up, and there are no elevators. The only thing i really didnt like was that they didnt had a place for you to leave your bag after the check out. We were leaving only in the night and we had to carry our bags around all day long.

For 8 Euro a Night. And nice staff. guest can smoke own and eat there. Rooms needs a face lift really bad (some fresh paint will do), but at lest it was clean. I'll maybe come back, if the price is right.

Generally speaking there was nothing wrong with my stay but I would not be returning. as yes okay. • Stairs are one thing... not having a decent hand rail is another •There was no shower on the top floor. • We spent most of our time out of the hostel worrying we were going to be robbed. • The sheets themselves looked clean but everything else in the room did not!!! Only plus was I could smoke and forget what kinda sh*t hole I was staying in!

Well, the Hostel is attached to a coffeehouse, which is fun, but the stairs are very steep and winding to get up to the rooms. I stayed on the top floor in a 2 bed room, slanted roof reminded me of Anne Frank's struggle during Germany's occupation of Amsterdam. There was a sink, and the radiator worked, but when we got there the last persons' sheets were in the room on the ground, had to sleep the first night with an airport blanket as thin as a tissue on a plastic mattress. Also, overpaid.

Great location. The only thing was it was allowed to smoke in the room.... hostel itself has a coffee shop down stairs n they should only allow to smoke in the coffee shop n not in the room!

I thought Hostel Utopia had a great atmosphere, very friendly and laid back staff, amazing location right in the center, and a good coffee shop downstairs. The room were we stayed was perfectly clean as was all the other facilities in the hostel, it didn't feel run down or neglected. The coffee shop was always welcoming and had a good mix of travelers and tourists all with the same chilled vibe. I would definitely stay here again during my next trip to Amsterdam and recommend it highly to all.

• 24th Nov 2013
  • Faustinetttte

Good location, but it is the only nice thing.

It was nothing like the pictures. very small, very narrow, doesn't even mention on the site that its shared bathroom. The rooms have no facilities, very poorly furnished, and very dark. Overall, it sucked.

Great location, room smelt of smoke and whole area smelt of weed. Price during the week is great not so much during weekends. No common room just the coffee shop below. Would stay here again if during the week just for the pricing.

We went as a group of 6 so booked the 6 bed dorm, meaning we could just lock the door instead of having lockers etc, room was basic but ideal, shower is really good, beds are comfy enough. The location was very good, only takes about 5 minutes to get to the square if that. The staff were more then helpful and the coffee shop was brilliant, nice chilled vibe with comfy seats and good weed! If your looking for just simplicity and ease, this is the place

• 22nd Oct 2013

Location and friendly staff get the double thumbs up from me, and for the money you pay you can't ask for anything better. This was exactly the kind of experience I wanted for my first hostel stay. I'll be staying there again in the future!!

• 16th Oct 2013

For the ones who only want to take drugs and sleep, not for the one who wants to tourism in the city.

We loved our stay at Hostel Utopia. The location is pretty much perfect.. close to the town and the sights. You can easily skip taking the tram and walk from the main station if that's how you're planning to arrive too. The staff were welcoming and made you feel quite at home. We also had a difficult check out time but it wasn't any problem.

+ good location + good staff + good cofeeshop - stairs too small - sleep with 8/6 people and share bath with 14

• 3rd Oct 2013
  • Cyprus

coming back on june!!!!!

• 2nd Oct 2013
  • Israel

I've stayed there for 5 nights because of my conference. Before going there I've read comments about this hotel and felt a little bit worried. But at my big surprise, it's not that bad! Helpul receptionist, clean room, bed sheet and towel are ok. A little inconvenient when we have to share bathroom and toilet. But other than that, I think it's worth what you pay for.

The place is very small, very dirty, very uncomfortable, basically a tiny smelly room with no facilities of any kind. I payed 240 euros for two night to sleep in an attic.

Clean and comfortable room with a great shower. Good place if you just want a bed or are travelling with friends. There's no kitchen or common area so no atmosphere.

you have to clean up!

• 16th Sep 2013

Private 3 person room was a double bed with single bunk above. Room had a sink. The bedroom, shared shower room and shared toilet were all clean. Deposit required for keys to room and front door. Good location close to dam square, city centre and red light district. Utopia is a nice coffee shop with rooms above, so there is no noisy bar or communal areas. Staff were friendly and helpful. I would stay again or recomend to friends.

• 6th Sep 2013