Hostel Van Gogh Reviews

Van de Veldestraat 5, Amsterdam, Netherlands

It feels more like somewhere between hostel and hotel

The bathroom in the dorm was really nice and great staff! :) Some room for improvement are the beds weren't all clearly lettered, so some beds had two letters, there was a thick layer of dust on the walls and some mold starting on the wall below the window.. Also, I let my towel on my bed so it didn't have to be washed, and it got washed anyways. Nice to have a clean towel, but I didn't leave it on the bathroom floor as it said to leave it on the floor to be washed.

One man working at the front was a little rude. But, the rooms and bathrooms were nice, but the bathroom would get soaked every time someone took a shower.

One of the best hostels that I've been in my life. Clean, tidy, secure, excellent location in the city centre. Best place ever

• 4th Nov 2014

Tried to check in early as our overnight bus got in at 6am, we understood that we couldn't check in until 2pm but the staff member at the time wouldn't let us even sit in the common area until cafés around the area opened up. Pretty disappointed as we were tired and cold.

• 3rd Nov 2014

I guess every single hostel in Amsterdam seals its room windows so that young stoners can't smoke in the room which is totally normal. Hostel van Gogh did that as well but in my case the sealing was miserable and therefore my room was constantly at approximately 15°C...

• 31st Oct 2014

A very good location. The bedrooms are clean. The employees are nice and helpful.

• 30th Oct 2014
  • Portugal

I think you could add another kind of breakfast that includes only the sweet stuff for a lesser price, for people from those countries that make sweet breakfast (croissant, coffee, cappuccino, biscuits,...)

Make the manager a bit more happy

No kitchen area. just a microwave in case you were looking at cookiing. Breakfast in the hostel is a tad bit expensive but totally worth it for 6.5 euros. The facilities were great. its quiet in general. seemed more like a hotel converted into a hostel. Overall a great stay!

Stayed here for three night - all the staff I spoke to were really helpful, the location is great for what I wanted, pretty quiet but right near the museums. Everywhere is walkable or theres a tram stop across the road. Rooms had small safes to keep important belongings safe (cameras passports etc.) bed were clean, tidy and comfy :-)

• 27th Oct 2014

Wi fi didn't worry was slow in room

• 26th Oct 2014
  • Scotland

This is a great hostel. Single room was the best ever, bar not pretty but the beer, music and staff excellent. My favourite hostel in Europe - and I was only there one night!

Really great hostel, was nice to get away from the more rough and ready type of hostel. It's close enough to use the tram daily (roughly €5 day ticket) or get a taxi from Dam square (€9)

Very nice hostel in good walking-distance to most of the city-attractions. Nice and friendly English speaking staff and a clean hostel. Big breakfast buffet for 5 Euros. Computers with internet, fridge and coffemachine for use.

• 23rd Oct 2014
  • Switzerland

It's convenient to take the tram to the hotel, but not quite close to the major sightseeing spots. Pay attention that it's a hotel, hostel is not its major living. So they are not quite experienced in catering backpackers. The breakfast is good but kind of expensive. Anyway, it can be a choice if you love Van Gogh a lot:)

• 23rd Oct 2014
  • China

Bathrooms were hotel standard, beds got made most days, really clean standard all over the building. Not much atmosphere but convenient location! (Can walk to the city centre, lots of shops near, tram stop right outside)

Decent ordinary hostel. Staff was good, a few rude ones or at least seemed that way. The breakfast advertised eggs and bacon, Prepaid for this for both days, niether day had eggs, 1 day had bacon. Dont be fooled. Rooms clean with good showers. Beds super close together, i was 3 inches from the guy next to me. Atmosphere here sucks if your looking for that. On my backpacking tour this is the worst of all the hostels I stayed. Wasn't even cheap. A good quiet location though. I would go elsewhere

Its a very good hostel! Its pretty much like a hotel. Everything there was nice and the staff were very helpful. Its located in a musume area,so you can find many museums nearby. Also you can take the tram to anywhere,which is very convenient.(Buy a day ticket,it helps save quite a lot of money)

This hostel was in a great location (in my opinion). Close enough walking distance to busses/trams to and from the airport or train station (not central station, but I didn't arrive or leave from there). Staff was very friendly and helpful. Didn't have a bar to socialize ad or kitchen to use (microwave though). Other than that the room was very clean and comfortable. Shower/bathroom was awesome and clean. Close to less touristy things which made everything cheaper. Overall fantastic place!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7