Hostel Van Gogh Reviews

Van de Veldestraat 5, Amsterdam, Netherlands

So much better than expected. Room was clean and very nice. Better than some hotels I've stayed in.

• 29th Jun 2015

Loved the location, very clean rooms and great breakfast. But on day 2 of my 3 night stay, the cleaners robbed my security box of any cash they could get their hands on. Staff did nothing to correct this loss of hundreds of Euros, and told me they couldn't question their cleaning staff. They finally comp'd me my bed but that wasn't nearly the amount that was stolen. Security in the hostel lax at best. No key needed to get in to the bldg. Security of guests not taken seriously. STAY AWAY!

Little pricey but it feels more like a hotel than a hostel

Towrls were sometimes way to small to even cover your body & at times the shower was so hot and we couldnt turn the temperature knob up or down!

• 25th Jun 2015

The bunk beds are super tall which made me want to switch after the first night staying there but Ben though one staff member told me I could, the next day I was told by a different person that they had to hold the two free beds in case an old or larger person needed a bed. That's a first. The room was very clean, tiny lockers (big enough for valuables only), great bedding, decent 5euro breakfast but wish it were free, and no common area with a community feel because it was shared with a hotel.

Rooms were very comfortable and modern, and staff were friendly. Location was a bit far out of the centre but a quick tram was easy to catch. Would definitely recommend this hostel.

• 20th Jun 2015

Great location right across from the Van Gogh museum and next to the Rijksmuseum. Hostel offers bikes for rent which is the best and quickest way to get around the city. They also offer a decent traditional European breakfast. Very clean and friendly staff. I would definitely recommend staying here!

Amazing place to stay while in Amsterdam!!!

• 18th Jun 2015
  • Lithuania

Very comfortable, clean rooms, very good location.

Lovely staff were very welcoming and helpful. Definitely pick up the discount coupons from reception to get the most out of you stay in A'dam. €5 breakfast was excellent.

Cool hostel with an interesting feel. Lots of very artsy people who aren't very social hang out in common area and everyone is high. Rooms were clean but the stairs sucked.

The staff was very pleasent and helpful anytime we need it. Breakfast was tasteful and filling. Considering how busy this place always is, it still feels cosy. Mostly I was surprised how quiet our bedroom was with so many young people under the roof. We got a good night sleep. The location is excellent, right next to Van Gogh museum, Rijks museum, trams stations.

• 16th Jun 2015

great for the museum district! but a bit less convenient for the red light district

• 14th Jun 2015

The desk will be close after 22:00 it makes a little bit inconvenient and not so pleasant during my stay

• 14th Jun 2015
  • Hong Kong

Great hostel - near to the museums and no noise at night. Every bed had a light and plug socket - so handy. Lockers in the rooms work on a passcode. The cleaners seemed to make the beds every day as well!

I thought the hostel was fantastic, however it was a bit of an issue when it came to showering as there was one shower between 6 of us, so getting ready took a fair while but other than that everything was great! Also sometimes the cards for the doors would stop working, and some of the safes were broken.

• 12th Jun 2015

Great location near the museums and 15 minutes walk from dam square. More like a hotel than a hostel but big clean room with nice bathroom - no lockers but a safety deposit box. No kitchen- just a kettle and microwave. Clean towel and bed made each day was a nice touch - would recommend for a quiet stay

about a half hour walk from Dam Square, Centraal Station and other attractions in that area. two minutes from Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum. rooms clean. no real common area (only breakfast area)

I would rather stay in a different area, but I was told to stay at this hostel by a friend so I did not even looked for another option. So I tought it was very close of the museums but far from other things in the city. Except for that everything was good! Excellent breakfast, clean bed and bathroom, nice staff.

My stay was not the most enjoyable. The staff wasn't very helpful and in fact a little rude to both me and my sister. They seemed bothered when I asked for simple directions or train information. When checking in I guess the staff was in a bad mood or having a bad day but that is no reason to take it out on the paying customer. If you are going to continue working in a place that deals with people, I suggest you change your attitude. I would not stay at this hostel again.

• 9th Jun 2015