Hostel Van Gogh Reviews

Van de Veldestraat 5, Amsterdam, Netherlands

1935 Total Reviews

The staff members there are very much helpful and pretty nice! The wifi signal in the room we stayed at on the ground floor is so weak that the internet is hardly to be connected to.

• 14th Apr 2014
  • Hong Kong

This is a hostel/hotel and does not have a common area except for the breakfast kitchen, not sure if guests are allowed to use the kitchen. Staff were helpful but only when requesting information. The location is great, right near the museums. Safes in the rooms were not working.

Staff at check in on 8 April evening was really helpful and gave us recommendations on pub crawl etc.

• 8th Apr 2014
  • Singapore

Stayed in a superior double room which had excellent secure facilities and would not have been out of place for a boutique hotel. Will certainly be our first choice whenever we return to Amsterdam.

• 17th Mar 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Great location and easy to get to from the airport. I suggest you rent a bike to get around but if not the tram runs just outside the hostel along with many buses. The only negative was the staff at the desk were not the friendliest of people.

The stay was quite nice, I just didn't like the location on relation to city centre. The cleanliness was quite bad, our bathroom wasn't clean for the whole days that I've stayed our towels wasn't changed like they had said it'd be. The staff was really good , just had a front desk asian really rude and not helpful at all. The breakfast was quite expansive and they dont have any facilities just a drink machine.

Fantastic value for money in comparison with another nearby hostel we stayed in. Very clean and comfortable room.

Directly located in Museumsplein, couldn't be better for seeing some museums and a tram station is nearby. Free lockers in room for valuable objects & the WiFi conncection is good. Some receptionists seemed to be very uninterested. Unfortunately, the sheets and towels had spots and I found hairs in my bed, plus when you turned on the reading lamps you could see dust on the walls and some on the cupboard close to my pillow. Cleanliness could be better, aparat from that I'd stay there again.

If you're looking for a good location near some museums, this is an alright hotel/hostel. I was let down greatly. We got there at 8am, left our bags and walked around the city. When we got back, the asian guy behind the desk without any hesitation said "we don't have any rooms together so you'll have to split up, unless you want to sleep on an extra bed" (which is actually the couch in the rooms and was broken). For a backpacker looking for help seeing the city, the staff was not helpful at all.

this is what we have warned people when they book room " we cant promise people will be in same room if they book dorm beds" . We do our best to help people who has issue to sleep not in same room, few rooms we have couch, it was not broken, the couch was quite soft for large weight guy. it is not depends on you arrive early or later, it depends on the room type youu booked, if there is only 1 bed empty in each room, but u were 2. they u will be seperated.

Staff at front counter were not friendly at all. It should on their faces even before you start interacting with them. No smiles on their faces upon arrival. Pretty bad impression for a tourist to see.

Dear guest, what we require our staffs to guests are: polite, helpful service, we are not such backpacker accommodations encourage staffs to interacting with guests , we provide standard hotel service. for some backpackers, it is a down side, but for most of them, it is good service

Location and rooms very good but staff was not that friendly.

• 23rd Feb 2014

Quite a walk from the old town/ red light district would not recommend for party goers. Lovely rooms with modern bathrooms, very clean.

• 21st Feb 2014

We had one of the double rooms and when we arrived, the hostel/hotel seemed to be a nice place. The location is right between the museum's square and the street with the high end designers stores. Local transport is near by. The room was small but cute and staff was friendly BUT the beds were disgusting. Blurry bedlinen with dirty pillows and plaids inside. We got the linen changed and the day after we got changed the pillows too, but beds should be checked better by the staff.

The hostel was clean, easily accessible and close to the museum quarter. The other travellers in my dorm were all really friendly but the Asian receptionist was unhelpful and curt, not the best person to be the first point of contact and he did not give a great first impression of the hostel!

• 13th Feb 2014

We stayed here because I really wanted to go to the museums and galleries and it is PERFECTLY located for this. It is a bit further from the old city but we walked there in 10-15 minutes. We stayed in a private room which was like a hotel. It was comfortable, clean and had a kettle and tv.

I really really enjoyed staying at Van Gogh. Actually it is not a hostel but a hotel. The room is well designed. It is so clean and safe. Location is pretty good just near to the museum plein and tram station. I would definitely recommend it and stay here again!

Staff wasn't quite informative comparing to several places I've visited. They couldn't even answer simple questions like until what time do trams and buses operate, where could travelers purchase ticket, etc.

We stayed in a private room, which was just any 3-4 star hotel room. Clean, well-structured, the room was very comfortable and spacious. The lobby is not great, but good enough for the main purposes. Staff is very kind and willing to help.

I Liked the location and the facilities. However the staff is very rude. The Indian girl in the lobby is extreme unpolited . I aked for directions and informations and she alway replied like " you have to ask on the street" or " I don't know ". The problem is that she did that without even looking at me, more worried in update her Facebook. That is not the kind of attitude we expect from a hostel.

Excellent facilities including an amazing bathroom and a delicious breakfast. Comfortable rooms, not too loud at night. Secure lockers in bedrooms for storage. Perfect location for gallery hopping - Van Gogh just over the road, Rijksmuseum just over the road. Easily accessible by tram from the city centre. Staff on reception came across a little rude at times - wasn't sure whether it was a language barrier or not!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4