Hostel Van Gogh Reviews

Van de Veldestraat 5, Amsterdam, Netherlands

My first problem with this place is that it is definitely advertised as a HOSTEL when I booked. Backpackers, don't be fooled - this is a hotel and the sign hanging above the door when you arrive will gladly surprise you. So, I'm to judge this as a hotel and it was mediocre at best. The worst by far, however, was the Asian man at the reception desk. EXTREMELY rude and unhelpful. Other than that, the rooms are nice and cleaned often, but our shower wasn't working and the WIFI in the rooms sucked.

Great clean hostel, however it's quite far from the red light district which is more what I came for... Right next to museums and 5-10 min walk from city center. Good hostel overall...

Had a pleasant stay, clean room with fresh towels everyday. It was a quite environment specially at night. Great Location, close to most of the Museums. Helpful and friendly staff. Would recommend this Hotel!

• 23rd Mar 2015

Amazing location..spacious dorms with safes but no good place to keep luggage. You pay 5€for breakfast but worth it. No kitchen or bar or other food facility. 1min walking from tram stop. Place can be more lively and interactive..its a bit expensive but then I liked it and wanted to extend but it was overbooked. Staff are good but can be more friendly and interactive. One of them was good and helpful dont remember her name but shez got short hair and pretty lively so ull notice.

If you're looking for a quiet place, near some of the major attractions, then this is definitely it. The accomodations are very good, rooms are cleaned every day, the ensuites are also awesome. Neighborhood is really good, both for touristic attractions and for bars and stuff, which are less than 10 minutes walk away from the hostel. The great Vondelpark is also just around the corner, great place to rent a bike! Price is not the best, but I really have nothing to complain.

The hostel is just great!

• 15th Mar 2015
  • Serbia

Nice staff who even prepares you a hot chocolate when you are sick. Rooms are clean and the bathroom is big. Two things missing: a kitchen and some storing space to put your stuff in. Al you have your own little safe to put your most valuable things in the room.

Very nice place to stay and close to museums and short walk to shops and restaurants. Not a very social environment. Staff was very helpful.

Pretty good place to stay, close enough to most things. A good selection of rooms to cater to all kinds of visitors. A great breakfast served every day. The price didn't really reflect on the general quality of the place, but overall my stay at Van Gogh was pleasant and I would suggest it as an option to anyone thinking of stopping by Amsterdam, especially if you like your museums close by!

We loved Hostel Van Gogh! Would definitely stay again.

The best hostel I stayed in so far. Very clean bathrooms, they give you soap and a towel. The beds are nice and comfortable. Breakfast is really good and worth the 5€

The Chinese reception staff is impolite and totallu not helpful at all without any smile!

• 25th Feb 2015
  • Hong Kong

We opted for the private room and it was WELL WORTH our money. It was a fancy hotel room for a hostel price so we were blown away. The beds and pillows were extremely comfortable and we very much enjoyed our large window and door access to a back patio. The only complaint we had was that check-in online was said to be Noon but a VERY RUDE concierge did not allow us to check-in until 2 or store our bags in the meantime. This man was one of the rudest people I have ever encountered in my travels.

• 24th Feb 2015

The best thing about the hostel is the location. It's extremely easy to get around using the 2 and 5 lines. I wish there was more common space in the hostel. Yes there is a "dining area", but it's not a great place to meet other travelers. Overall, my experience was good, except for the manager. He isn't very friendly and always sounds like he is talking down to people. He is the only reason why I would consider not going back.

• 24th Feb 2015

Great price for a Sunday night in Amsterdam. I felt like I was staying in a hotel, but the rooms had bunk beds. The bathroom was gorgeous and the breakfast (not free) was delicious. Right across the street from the Van Gogh museum, and very close to the main square, it's in a great location. It was very quiet, not really a hostel where people can hang out in groups bigger than a couple, so if you're looking for something more lively, I'd look elsewhere.

The room was huge and the bathroom was average with hot water and good water pressure! WiFi worked well. Safe in room and a spacious closet. Was a 3 bed room. Had water kettle for tea or other hot drinks! The staff was very friendly and helpful in day late night they were a little rough! Several modes of transportation nearby as well as museums, designer boutiques, casino and bars. No groceries stores nearby. The #197 from airport stopped one block away! 10 euros for round trip ticket!

• 20th Feb 2015

A really nice clean hostel near some really nice museums and leidsplein which is a cool night life area. There aren't any lockers in the rooms for your luggage but there are nice keypad lockers for your valuables at least. The staff kept the room spotless for us, and I met some cool people in my room.

Hotel was very clean, however one of the staff who was on the desk as we arrived was very rude!

• 17th Feb 2015

A great hostel in a great location. The man at the desk is very rude and sets an unwelcoming vibe, but apart from that good value for money

• 16th Feb 2015

The hostel is very nice. But there is somethings that need be better. I stayed in the bedroom 208 and some beds didin't have identification. So, in my last night when i entered in the bedroom there was a person on my bed. The sink in the bathroom was blocked, but they fixed quickly. And at night don't have staff just the security.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6