Hostel Van Gogh Reviews

Van de Veldestraat 5, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Excellent facilities including an amazing bathroom and a delicious breakfast. Comfortable rooms, not too loud at night. Secure lockers in bedrooms for storage. Perfect location for gallery hopping - Van Gogh just over the road, Rijksmuseum just over the road. Easily accessible by tram from the city centre. Staff on reception came across a little rude at times - wasn't sure whether it was a language barrier or not!

Nice hostel in the centre of the museum district and near a lot of good stores. Staff were friendly and the rooms were nice however there should have been a better atmosphere and more facilities. Bathroom was clean and beds were comfortable. Doing a good thing when it comes to appealing to students.

• 31st Jan 2014

Nice staff, very good locations to cool places to have a drink and if you like walking, a walking distance to all Amsterdam.

Good location from the airport with the bus, and quite central to most of the tourist hotspots and only a minute walk away from a tramstop. Not a hostel to use if you're looking to meet other travellers however perfect if travelling alone or wanting a quieter place to stay.

Lovely place to stay! all the staff are really nice and helpful too The room is high-standard hotel room used as a 8-dorm room, really nice rooms! They clean up the room everyday, and make up your bed. They even have locker with password for every person in the room. Nice!

No atmosphere, disinterested staff, squeaky beds, great location, clean rooms, weird smell. Well, I wouldn't really recommend this place, but it does no harm.

Excellent facilities and cleanliness. Thanks.

Very easy to book and to find when I got to Amsterdam. The girl at the front desk when checked in was so rude, hardly made eye contact with me and didn't offer anything except taking my money, not even a smile. The room itself was excellent, I had a private room, it was just small. The bathroom was also excellent, it looked pretty new as well. It is a bit of a walk to the centum but I did not mind that at all. Would recommend.

• 13th Jan 2014

It was like a hotel, the bathroom and shower were especially impressive. We had towels in the rooms and even a TV. Would highly recommend this hostel!

Had a really good few nights here. The staff were helpful and friendly but didnt give the feeling they wanted to be there. The rooms were really nice and cleaned really well everyday an the bathrooms were great by hostel standards.

The stay was okay, the pillow smelled a bit like sweat. They had free WiFI but it was bad connection. The house keeper took my own towel as he/she misunderstand it as the hotel's one. When I complained about it, they said they could not get my towel back...

The Chinese staff was rude with us, but the Spanish one was very nice.

Our stay started with an unfriendly greeting from a temperamental man at the front desk. We went to our rooms to find out that one of the two beds on our bunk was occupied by another party, and when mentioned to the front desk "there was nothing they could do". During our stay the elevator was broken the entire time and the wifi worked only 1/20 times you tried connecting. While the location was convenient and the interior seemed newly renovated, the mouldy walls and funky smell were offputting.

The location was great, especially if you are wanting to visit museums. I wish I would have heeded other reviews because the atmosphere was not the best. It's not that it was bad, there just wasn't much going on. The actual rooms were very nice and comfortable for a 2 night stay.

The hostel was clean and safe. Previous reviews said this was a hostel where families stayed, however; this isn't really the case, at least when we stayed there. The lobby was filled with drunk and high kids. It's a good hostel, though, and many things are included for the money, including shampoo. I would recommend the Van Gogh Hotel.

Would definitely stay again!

• 29th Dec 2013

Staff was unprepared or unpolite most of the time.

• 26th Dec 2013

The hostel itself was very nice and clean, with good security. My opinion on the staff is divided; upon arrival and my check in into the hostel the younger lady seemed pretty unfriendly and didn't provide me with any information. Everything had to be dragged out of her. On the other hand, the elder lady, at the check out, and another man, that sorted out the problem with my key card, were nice and helpful.

It is a comfortable hostel, with friendly and helpful staff, the atmosphere is friendly as well.

In general, hostel was fine, but the room had a funny smell and for some reason the housekeeping changed my clean towell for a dirty one.