Hostel Van Gogh Reviews

Van de Veldestraat 5, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Second time here, I really like this place. Great for budget travellers.

I found my stay at Hostel Van Gogh very good! It is in an ideal location, situated right by the Van Gogh Museum and only a 20 minute walk to town and the clubbing area. Staying in a mixed dorm of 8 was a great way to meet new people, and with the room having ensuite facilities as well as the beds being made each day it was also comfortable. Each guest is given a card which gives you access to the building and to your room, as well as your own safe to keep your valuables in, making it very safe.

• 3rd Sep 2013

Love how everything was so near. I didn't like the fact that screaming children would wake me up in the morning though. There's a school in front of the hotel.

Good hostel in very convenient and clean location. Staff very unfriendly and rude telling us to wait 'another 10 minutes' until check in time despite them checking in other people all morning. not a great first impression! however, very clean and met some great people

As the first hostel we'd ever stayed in, Van Gogh was very nice. We weren't sure what to expect, and really liked the hostel. There was never any question of the security of our stuff, although it could have been the room and other travelers we stayed with. The only unexpected component was the sign outside said "hotel" rather than "hostel."

Let's just say that this was the most pleasant surprise we have had in so many years and so many hotels. We had a private room with two beds and a bathroom and we couldn't be happier, it is probably 20m away from the Van Gogh Museum, Rijks Museum and Concertgebouw are right there too. For the price it is simply a steal! Some wrote that the stuff was not friendly, I just think they are super busy as there is the hostel part and that demands their full attention 24/7, always helpful to us.

• 31st Aug 2013
  • Bulgaria

The hostel could use a communal kitchen!

Great hostel. Ultra clean beds, nice staff and great sitting corner on the street. Might go back again.

Firstly, when we arrived at this hostel, the girl on reception was so rude [ as were all the staff throughout our stay there]. It felt like a constant hassle when asking for advice or asking for tips whilst being in Amsterdam. The reception area was good and had a microwave which allowed us to make noodles and save money as amsterdam is really expensive. Room itself was too small to function with 8 other people however the bathroom and shower was lovely, modern and spacious. Wouldnt recommend.

It is more a hotel for groups as it is called and not a really hostel. You don't really conact to the othe youth cause there isn't the right athmosphere for conactting. The Location was the highlight!

The room was nice, but there was not much space for storing the luggage.

My friend and I stayed at the hostel Van Gogh for 3 nights, it was brilliant. Very clean, location was amazing, it was not even a five minute walk into the main area and it was right next to vondelpark and museum square. I'd recommend hiring the bikes from the hostel too as you can keep them for the whole day or more If you want to. If I go back I wouldn't look to stay anywhere else, there's also a supermarket around the corner which was convenient, it's defiantly the cleanest hostel I've stayed

• 26th Aug 2013
  • Scotland

Best hostel I have ever stayed in. Super clean, perfect location and very friendly staff

• 25th Aug 2013

It was more like a hotel than a hostel, all the rooms were remodeled and looked high-end. The location was great, especially if you are interested in going to museums. It's outside of the very center, but only a 10 minute walk to the main bar area, Leidseplein, and the area is very safe at all times. The atmosphere is not as fun as a hostel in a bar and I didn't make any friends through the hostel, but it's not advertised as a party hostel so I can't hold that against them.

• 24th Aug 2013

Hostel was situated in a good location with easy access to public transport, restaurants, bars and parks.

It even comes with a flat screen tv. Very close to the tram which will take you to Centraal Station and the main highlights of downtown. A few minutes walk from major museums (it is after all located in Museumplein)... The hostel has yellow bikes you can rent (or you can take the tram to the yellow bike shop). A lot of the people who stay there are friendly and young.

• 23rd Aug 2013

More hotel than hostel, so not much atmosphere. The location is good because it's away from the tourist insanity of the red light district and public transport there is easy. The room was nice and clean, but it wasn't worth the price we paid for it. The guy on the front desk had terrible customer service skills, the vending machine is expensive, and the wifi blocks 'dangerous' websites (for example, the Heineken Brewery - a beer from Holland AND a big tourist attraction in Amsterdam ... What?!).

This hostel was nice and clean, but definitely not the best suited for for solo travelers. Staff was just kind of okay - not really that friendly or helpful. Common area was the breakfast room, where most people just came to get some quiet time away from their rooms. Not my favorite, but also not the worse.

We stayed in a 6 bed female dorm, but it felt more like a hotel then a hostel.

Not really lacking in space you should invest in lockers or a larger luggage room for prior to check in, felt very unsafe.