Hostel Van Gogh Reviews

Van de Veldestraat 5, Amsterdam, Netherlands

It's pretty hard to lose this place. It's across the street from the museum. It's great if you're planning on coming back late at night and get lost easy. I still talk to the people I shared a room with. Some of my favorite memories while backpacking are from here. Although, this place feels more like a hotel than a hostel. The showers are divine! No kitchen though which was hard for me.

I stayed for one night. The van Gogh hostel is very clean and good located! The security is poor. When time I came back and there was no reception. I could go everywhere without being seen by hosts.

• 18th Dec 2013

Staff was incredibly unhelpful in recommending things to do. Facilities were nice (except broken shower head.)

Possibly the best hostel you can stay in when in Amsterdam. It doesnt have a hostel atmosphere. It is more of a hotel atmosphere even though you share rooms with strangers and sleep in bunk beds. It is extremely clean and very modern hostel. Everything looks new and nice. Only thing is that the staff is not that friendly. There was an asian guy at the front desk that was very rude. The other people staying in my room also said that he was extremely rude to them.

• 18th Dec 2013

The room we stayed in was way too small for 8 people, other than that WiFi was pretty good, bathroom was OK.

Terrific hostel, friendly staff very clean rooms even when i didn't need a clean new towel they put ine in my bed anyway. The bathroom in the 8 person dorm is very clean considering that it's been used by , well, 8 people... Breakfast is 5 euros and rather nice breakfast. You can fill yourself and don't feel the need to eat almost all day... coffee is free during breakfast time but you gonna have to put money to the machine other times.

The place was very clean but we only found out on arrival that there was no smoking area. The communal area was practically non-existent, consisting of a few tables in a sort of canteen. Not a very friendly place or a place to meet people. One of the receptionists was also extremely rude, the other one was very helpful though. All in all it was an ok stay but will probably not go back again.

Great Hostel! Very clean! Loved that there was house keeping. Great value for the money!

• 22nd Nov 2013

there is no place to put stuffs and the quilt stinks, full of human sweat. guests/ clients they accept can be lousy and extremely noisy and messy. Staffs can be angry for no reasons....

• 19th Nov 2013

The hostel is really great. The rooms, the bathroom, the dinning room and the internet work perfectly, however the only problem was one receptionist, a girl, she was rude, not nice at all.

Its looks like a hotel switch in a hostel so it has a different scene than the common hostel but in amsterdam you only use it to sleep so its quite good deal. Nice that is a bit far from the red light zone but you can make it walking if the trams dont work anymore.

Nice and clean location, quiet area but in short walking distance to Leidseplein, the Van Gogh Museum and Vondelpark. Perfect for the distinguished traveller, who may also enjoy Amsterdam's nightlife but yet is not so much into drunk and stoned adolescents.

It was pretty much impossible to walk through the dorm room door with a bag without banging into the first bed. The beds are way to close together to. On my last night I actually rolled over on my pillow and rolled onto the guys arm from the bed next to me. Maybe consider guests comfort rather than how many beds can be squeezed into a tiny room. Also they had safes in each room, which is a great idea,but they have the loudest bleeping keypad,not ideal late at night or first thing in morning

• 13th Nov 2013
  • New Zealand

The hotel was in a good location,the staff...not the greatest. The beds are very comfortable, that's a good thing.

Despite having staff members try twice to make my assigned safe function properly, it didn't work the entire duration of my stay. One (female) member of the staff was very friendly, but the rest were lacking. One night, the staff assigned 10 people to an 8 bed room, causing a great deal of noise and disruption at 8am. One man was smoking in the room, a violation of stated non-smoking policy, and yet after multiple complaints to the desk staff, he was only briefly removed from the room. Dislike.

The hotel was fantastic for our requirements and we could not have aske for more. It was clean friendly and the location was outstanding. I have one major complaint. I would like to no why my final invoice clearly stated that the balance to be paid on arrival would be €512.64 yet I was charged € 615.33. I don't think this is acceptable and would like to no why. Tom McQuade, Glasgow

• 5th Nov 2013

I know my review seems as though it is very complimentary however, for the price we paid and the fact we were staying in a hostel, myself and the 4 other boys i was with felt the facilities and the comfort of the rooms was excellent. It wasn't exactly right in the middle of Amsterdam however we knew this prior to booking so it wasnt an issue. Also, on the last the girls at reception printed our boarding passes off free of charge, so thanks very much to them. I would recommend Van Gogh to anyone.

• 5th Nov 2013
  • Scotland

Such a well located hostel, great staff, very nice rooms. Excellent breakfast. Highly recommend it.

Nice place to spend a couple of nights. The location is in a peaceful area and close to the main attraction

• 1st Nov 2013