Hostel Van Gogh Reviews

Van de Veldestraat 5, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Lovely place to stay! all the staff are really nice and helpful too The room is high-standard hotel room used as a 8-dorm room, really nice rooms! They clean up the room everyday, and make up your bed. They even have locker with password for every person in the room. Nice!

No atmosphere, disinterested staff, squeaky beds, great location, clean rooms, weird smell. Well, I wouldn't really recommend this place, but it does no harm.

Excellent facilities and cleanliness. Thanks.

Very easy to book and to find when I got to Amsterdam. The girl at the front desk when checked in was so rude, hardly made eye contact with me and didn't offer anything except taking my money, not even a smile. The room itself was excellent, I had a private room, it was just small. The bathroom was also excellent, it looked pretty new as well. It is a bit of a walk to the centum but I did not mind that at all. Would recommend.

• 13th Jan 2014

It was like a hotel, the bathroom and shower were especially impressive. We had towels in the rooms and even a TV. Would highly recommend this hostel!

Had a really good few nights here. The staff were helpful and friendly but didnt give the feeling they wanted to be there. The rooms were really nice and cleaned really well everyday an the bathrooms were great by hostel standards.

The stay was okay, the pillow smelled a bit like sweat. They had free WiFI but it was bad connection. The house keeper took my own towel as he/she misunderstand it as the hotel's one. When I complained about it, they said they could not get my towel back...

The Chinese staff was rude with us, but the Spanish one was very nice.

Our stay started with an unfriendly greeting from a temperamental man at the front desk. We went to our rooms to find out that one of the two beds on our bunk was occupied by another party, and when mentioned to the front desk "there was nothing they could do". During our stay the elevator was broken the entire time and the wifi worked only 1/20 times you tried connecting. While the location was convenient and the interior seemed newly renovated, the mouldy walls and funky smell were offputting.

The location was great, especially if you are wanting to visit museums. I wish I would have heeded other reviews because the atmosphere was not the best. It's not that it was bad, there just wasn't much going on. The actual rooms were very nice and comfortable for a 2 night stay.

The hostel was clean and safe. Previous reviews said this was a hostel where families stayed, however; this isn't really the case, at least when we stayed there. The lobby was filled with drunk and high kids. It's a good hostel, though, and many things are included for the money, including shampoo. I would recommend the Van Gogh Hotel.

Would definitely stay again!

• 29th Dec 2013

Staff was unprepared or unpolite most of the time.

• 26th Dec 2013

The hostel itself was very nice and clean, with good security. My opinion on the staff is divided; upon arrival and my check in into the hostel the younger lady seemed pretty unfriendly and didn't provide me with any information. Everything had to be dragged out of her. On the other hand, the elder lady, at the check out, and another man, that sorted out the problem with my key card, were nice and helpful.

It is a comfortable hostel, with friendly and helpful staff, the atmosphere is friendly as well.

In general, hostel was fine, but the room had a funny smell and for some reason the housekeeping changed my clean towell for a dirty one.

Good things: The hostel is very clean and the rooms are comfortable. Easy to go by tram although it is 30 minutes from the centre. Bad things: There was a chinese person in the reception who was yelling to another member of the stuff. I think it was because she did smth wrong, but it makes a bad impression in the clients.

It's pretty hard to lose this place. It's across the street from the museum. It's great if you're planning on coming back late at night and get lost easy. I still talk to the people I shared a room with. Some of my favorite memories while backpacking are from here. Although, this place feels more like a hotel than a hostel. The showers are divine! No kitchen though which was hard for me.

I stayed for one night. The van Gogh hostel is very clean and good located! The security is poor. When time I came back and there was no reception. I could go everywhere without being seen by hosts.

• 18th Dec 2013

Staff was incredibly unhelpful in recommending things to do. Facilities were nice (except broken shower head.)