Hostel Van Gogh Reviews

Van de Veldestraat 5, Amsterdam, Netherlands

1933 Total Reviews

not having access to the kitchen is a bummer

• 16th Jun 2013

Dirty (especially the mattress) room facility. Hair in towels and bed. Stinky floor. Broken hair dryer. Air condition --> without switching it on water on the whole room floor (dropping the whole night). Unbelievalble unfriendly staff at reception. No notice of the "not disturb"-sign. Never again.

It is a nice hostel and i especially liked that the bathroom was an ensuite, so no long lines. Getting to the city center took me about 10 to 15 minutes, but i could have gotten there faster by tram. It was clean and knife,although i definitely missed a common area to sit and relax, the breakfast area is not really good for meeting new people.

A nice and cheap hostel, nice and clean rooms (it totally depends on the number of people in one room) It is a bit far from the city center, so If you are planning to stay there for a short period of time I wouldn't recommend it. Rude and impatient staff lacking willingness to interact and provide information.

It is very nice hotel, with good location and excellent services. I found only one thing, which could be improved - meal for breakfast should be more various....

• 15th Jun 2013
  • Czech Republic

The door handle & lock to my dorm room was severly faulty and i was trapped inside the ensuite for 1 and a half hours on sat 15th Luckily my friend heard me and was able to get help, the staff were very unhelpful, the receptionist called a handyman who had no tools to help me escape. I was told the next day by a VERY rude male receptionist that there was nothing that could be done and that the owner would not be willing to discuss the matter as they would not speak to me in English. Disgused

• 14th Jun 2013

It was just alright, Clean, good breakfast, well structured hostel that's all no more. Not much hostel spirit.

The staff sounded like they didn't want to help or had any interest. They really could be more friendly and learn to smile.

• 14th Jun 2013

I had a good experience at the hostel van gogh. It is literally right next door to the Van Gogh museum which is pretty neat. The facilities are clean, and security is excellent. The location is right next to a children's pre-school which is quite noisy in the mornings. In addition, the hostel isn't really near anything for nightlife festivities, so that is something to keep in mind as well.

Basically a hotel in hostel form. Impeccable cleanliness, and, if you value your showers, seriously nice ensuites to the dorms. It being such a classy, well kept, sophisticated 'hostel', I felt seriously indulgent. Great location across from the Museum quarter, so so so convinient if you enjoy living out of museums such as I do. Easy 15 min walk to the city. What it lacks is a true 'backpackers' vibe; DEFINITELY NOT a party hostel, it doesn't really have a communal space to meet and hang out

Great location - tho not in the center of all the nightlife dynamics, it's right next to the Van Gogh museum and a lot of nice places. There's a school right next to it so there are a lot of kids during the day but at night it's quite and tranquil. It's really clean and the facilities are good. I was in a female dorm.

Great hostel. Everyone gets a small safe,own plug and nightlight above their bed. very new and clean. staff was freindly and helpful. breakfast has a variety of breads, fruit, coffee, juice, and sandwhich meat for lunch later on. about 1.5 mles (~35 min walk) from big sites like the central station, red light district, and dam square, but we loved the walk along the canals. When we were tired the tram dropped us off righy outside. Right next to rij museum and iamsterdam sign. Loved our stay

• 12th Jun 2013

a female staff is really bad-attitude~the location is great for visiting museums~

Great location, very close to the Van Gogh museum and the drinking/restaurant area of leidseplein and an easy 10 minute tram ride from Amsterdam Centraal, rooms are good, showers are amazing, and while the atmosphere itself wasn't a party, it was very relaxed, and I had no trouble finding people to go out with.

• 11th Jun 2013

The woman working at the reception was passive and unfriendly whenever I needed to ask something. Upon arrival I was given my key card and that was all.... no explanation about the facilities in the hostel or the main sites of Amsterdam. Disappointing service and a shame that breakfast was not included for the price. That being said, the dorm was clean and my dorm mates were friendly. It was also nice to have a small personal safe in the dorm to put valuables.

Location was about a twenty minute walk from train station. It was only about a ten minute walk to bars and sights. Very clean and good wifi.

I really enjoyed my stay here. Internet worked, beds were comfortable and location was safe and quiet.

There was a very small lockbox in my room that wouldn't fit my camera or laptops. When I asked at the front desk, they said they didn't have any lockers, either, so I didn't feel that my belongings were safe.

• 8th Jun 2013

5 stars ;)

• 6th Jun 2013
  • Portugal

Very clean and bright, comfy beds, lockers in the rooms, secure luggage storage, wi-fi in the rooms, and excellent showers! I didn't have the breakfast but my roommates told me it was great and worth the price. It is a little bit noisy in the mornings if you are the kind of person who sleeps in late, because there is a school very close by, but the location is great! Definitely worth it.