Hostel Van Gogh Reviews

Van de Veldestraat 5, Amsterdam, Netherlands

The hostel is very nice. Well located near the Van Gogh museum. Clean and with a great atmosphere. The breakfast for 5€ is good and a great choise. The problem... is the staff. When I arrive there was a man is the reception that never smilled at me. Neither did he look at me when I was making the check-in. For first impression of the hospitality, it is very very poor. Even we I asked him for directions (because I didn't know the city), he answered me with coldness and indifference.

Great hostel but service is poor. Staffs are pretty unfriendly to guests. When asked questions, they tend to be rude about it or the answers were uncleared. Hostel is great. clean and great location.

This place is amazing! Staff is educated and happy to help. Clean would be an understatement. Mattresses were comfortable. Very close to all the museums and not too far of a walk from everything. Caution...Watch your step walking down the stairwell I seen a few people tumble but there is an elevator available for convenience. Easily one of the best hostels I have stayed in and will highly recommend it.

We had a lovely room with our own bathroom and really comfy beds so that was nice after touring for a month. Not really a social hostel as we didnt meet any other travelers. Great location right near the main clubbing district. Highly recommended if you have a bit of cash to splash but it's not the cheapest hostel.

• 15th Aug 2013

The hostel facilities are great. Cleanliness is good. Some employees very friendly and helpful, others quite obnoxious.

Very nice hostel in a beautiful part of the city, close to many museums. A great place to go walking from to explore the city but also very close to main bus/tram lines. Only thing is that there's no kitchen to make your own food.

Very bad atmosphere! Staff he's bad attitude, was in a room with 6 beds 4 guys came back at 3am woke the whole room up and was drunk ,when told the front desk they did nothing.i he'd to spend the rest of the night in the lobby.hotel is far from main district. Bathroom was dirty and the lobby seats are nasty! Don't stay there ever !

Location is awesome, literally just off of the tram, opposite the Van Gogh museum. It took no time at all to get from Centraal Station to here and there are lots of convenient services nearby, to say nothing of attractions. My room was simply beautiful. Extremely clean, modern washroom with marble or marble-like tile, very comfortable beds and linens, and plenty of large, luxurious towels. An extra 5€ for breakfast was very well worth it. My first stay of my European trip may be the best!

Clean, but unfriendly.

• 11th Aug 2013

For someone who's a fan of art museum such as Van Gogh museum, and also interested in Concertgebouw, this is the place for you. The staff was quite friendly, unlike many of comments I read here, facilities are great. Although it wasn't so cheap, I would be willing to stay here again, later. The only problem was its location, which isn't so close to center of old city if you are going to look around there by feet like I did.

• 11th Aug 2013
  • South Korea

Really good hostel! Right by the main museums in Amsterdam and although it's not right in the city centre, its close enough you're there to party.

Incredibly clean, nice facilities, excellent location, great people. Best hostel experience so far!

Very nice hostel close enough to town but away from all the noise, lockers provided for everyone at no additional cost, this was my 2nd stay at the hostel and I will most likely return next year!

• 8th Aug 2013

too bad... we were on the 4th floor and lift was out of order... I was missing a cosy place to lay on sofa....and meet some other people. breakfast is good value for money.

Great location!!! I really enjoyed my stay there. Highly recommended.

Very nice hostel in a really nice area of Amsterdam. It is a bit outside of city center and red light area but will be a much more comfortable stay. Easy walk or tram ride into city center. Also good location for uptown attractions. Good wifi and clean rooms/bathrooms. Definitely recommend for a more relaxing atmosphere.

Just next to the Van Gogh museum, Rijksmuseum and the famous 'Iamstredam', so I'd say it's well located (even though you have to walk for 15 minutes at least to reach the "real" centre of the city (where the bars and coffeeshops are located). Other than that everything was fine, the rooms were really clean and the shower/toilets as well. The only negative point is that you can't use the oven and the kitchen (so only a microwave is available). You can also use 2 computers for free !

standard commercial hotel. good wifi. i booked a bed in superior 8 bed ensuite, eventually got a 6 bed ensuite, which was a bonus. clean room but got stains on my linen. the elevator was out of service during my stay, i dunno how frequent it happened, but it caused inconvenience to me when i left my room on 4th floor with bulky luggage. and staff was not nice as well - they refused to sell stamps becoz i didnt buy postcards from them. nice wifi tho. it wasn't a pleasant stay.

I thought the hostel all in all is a great tip for people who want a more quiet place to stay which is also very near to the museums like van gogh and stedelijk. The area there is beautiful with a nicely arranged grass field for picknics or something like that. The red light district is reachable by foot but you gotta be prepared for a long walk. For the lazy once there is also a tram line to go around the city. The hostel itself is very clean and the personal is friendly.

• 4th Aug 2013
  • Austria

This place was a hotel, not a hostel. It was fantastic. AC a large shower the most comfortable beds ever = heaven after 3 weeks in hostels all over Europe. It's in a nice area (the museum district) but it's a 15 minute walk to the closest "coffee shops" and bars, and a 30 minute walk to the heart of Amsterdam.