Hostel Van Gogh Reviews

Van de Veldestraat 5, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Had an great time in Amsterdam and was lucky enough to have met such amazing people in our room. Hostel itself is well looked after and kept tidy, couldn't fault it. One of the best hostels I've stayed in on my 2&1/2 weeks of travelling around Europe.

We booked an 8 bed dorm and there was a bed added :( everything else was good and buffet breakfast was pretty good

I met some nice people here as a solo traveler so it worked out really well.

Very nice hostel, and in a fantastic location.

Very nice hostel all round. Great location, nice furnishings - would recommend and stay again!

• 29th Jul 2015

Had an amazing stay at the Van Gogh. Most of the staff were friendly and gave great advice when needed. The room was great, even with the Nespresso machine that I didn't expect at all. That totally won me over. I'd bought my own shampoo/body wash but didn't need it as it was already provided. It's close to a lot of the museums although can be a little bit of a walk into the main part of the city. That didn't matter much though as you can get to the other side within 20 minutes. I recommend!!

Stayed there for 2 days. Except for the lack of help from the staff on some specific routes I had to take, I enjoyed my stay. Atmosphere was he same as any hotel, and except for the fact you are sharing a room with other people, it feels like a hotel anyway. Breakfast was not included and on the expansive side for me, but worth it. Bathroom was spotless clean and the room, although kind of crammed, was comfortable. I would recommend for those who seek the museums, not night life of Amsterdam

Only stayed for one night but absolutely no atmosphere, everyone was solitary, even the people in our room didn't care to speak to us but if you just want somewhere clean to stay I'd recommend this place

The hostel was more like a hotel, which may suit some people. It was clean and tidy but lacking atmosphere. There was a small seating area downstairs but no bar, and only a fridge to serve as a kitchen. Rooms were very small which made getting ready a little awkward. We noticed two bunk beds in our room were right next to each other, so the two strangers on the bottom bunk were essentially sharing a double bed. Wifi only worked in the lobby, and the safes didn't fit bags in, but good location.

This hostel was great. We originally booked two nights in the dorm but closer to check in we realised that the first night we would like a private room which they changed with no dramas. Then we went to check in the next night in the dorms and they had upgraded us to a double room. Which was lovely. They kept our bags all day for us as we had a night train. Great location and very clean!

• 26th Jul 2015

The hostel is very good located its is in front the Van Gogh Museum and next to the most of the touristic atractions. There is a lift which means you dont need to go up stairs with your bags,there is in the rooms and there is a good value you can book the check in. But in day there was a guy in suit behind reception VERY unfriendly either towards guests either to staff which made the atmosphere too tense .

• 25th Jul 2015

I had a great time at this hostel! It's hard to choose a location in Amsterdam—the city sprawls and there are things to see all over. This hostel is very close to the major museums but far from the train station. I stayed in a single room and it felt more like a hotel than a hostel. It had a TV and a very comfortable bed. The only issue was a mildew smell coming from the bathroom... I only stayed 2 nights but if it had been longer I would have said something to the front desk.

The male manager running this hostel is extremely rude and very uncooperative. My entire luggage was stolen from their secure(locked) storage room & he was very unhelpful when this occurred. He didn't want to help & didn't seem to care all my belongings had been taken whilst under his supervision. Purely based on his poor attitude & horrible customer service I would not recommend staying at this hostel to any traveller.

• 24th Jul 2015

Loved the mix between hotel and hostel here. Great ensuite facilities in the room. There was even a TV! And tea. Lovely place, wish I could've spent more time here but I only stayed a night and I was always out and about. It's not dirt cheap but for Amsterdam on a Friday night it was pretty decent. Highly recommend.

I loved it! Great location and very close to food/shopping/museums and the tram.

• 24th Jul 2015

Very nice clean hostel and easy to find from the directions on the hostel page, Only bad point is that its a 35 minute walk from the centre or 15 minutes on the tram which isn't as cheap as other European cities but probably worth getting if you will be in and out a lot. No kitchen to cook in, but a good breakfast bar for €5 per person per day. Very clean spacious rooms and amazing shower. Beds very comfy and was a major plus point. Safes in every room for each bed which was good. staff helpful

The hostel was a short tram ride away from Amsterdam Central station, their is a tram stop right outside the hostel. The hostel is also very close to the Van Gogh Museum and the 'I amsterdam' sign. The hostel itself is very clean and modern, the dorms are nice, we stayed in an 8 bed room so was very busy but still a good nights sleep. Has safety deposit boxes for your valuables. Wifi also very good! Breakfast is 5 euro but worth it.

Great hostel! Staff are super friendly!

Nice place to stay

The staff from the front desk and from the restaurant are a bit rude (with some exceptions). We were kind of disappointed with that. The rooms were not very clean. The breakfast was the best thing about our stay!