Hostel Van Gogh Reviews

Van de Veldestraat 5, Amsterdam, Netherlands

It was a lovely place with lovely staff. Thank you so much for making my new years Eve so wonderful. It was actually my first time in Amsterdam and the staff there were so friendly answering all our questions. We had fresh towels everyday and our own bathroom which was awesome. However the only downside is that it is a little far from the city and train station. But if you like museums you will enjoy this place because it is near to some big museums. Thank you for making my stay a wonderful

The Van Gogh is in a great location. Easy to walk or ride the team to everywhere in central Amsterdam, but a little outside of the craziness of downtown. The breakfast was also a great value for the €5. Staff was friendly, but there was little security. This was not a problem at all, as the area is calmer and pretty nice. Overall, it is a good choice for people who still want to go party, but also want to be able to sleep and get away.

• 28th Dec 2015

The staff at this hostel were absolutely abhorrent. They were uncaring, unprofessional and quite simply rude. At one stage I stood at the front desk for about 2 minutes whilst two of the staff members gossiped about a coworker and her complaints about her hours until I eventually had to initiate the conversation to get help. Additionally, when given our room keys we were shown where our bags were stored and then he left without a word, with no indication of where room was. Wouldn't recommend.

• 27th Dec 2015

A bit more classier then your average hostel ( e.g hotel mevlana - don't ever stay at hotel mevlana, read reviews on it for yourself ) as for hotel Van Gogh , clean , good facilities, friendly & helpful staff , can't really complain , I stayed there for 2 nights

Great breakfast!

The owner shouldn't stay at the reception! He doesn't know how to treat his customers and his colleagues!

Washroom in dorm quite crowded, very humid after taking shower, water dripped from ceiling. The safe in the room would display password every time, quite insecure if your roommates are in the room. However, excellent location and staff were quite helpful and friendly most of the time.

• 23rd Dec 2015

Coming from the central station, the Van Gogh Hostel is very easy to find, when you take the tram(2 or 5). You can reach everything by foot, in 5 minutes you are in the shopping streets. The breakfast for only 5€ was nice, very good coffee, only the rolls were a bit dry. My room was clean and had everything you need, a little shampoo would have been nice but all in all I felt comfortable and would have liked to stay longer.

• 21st Dec 2015

Incredible place, well located and had a great stay !

• 20th Dec 2015

The hostel was nice with good facilities, also the location was good but the staff guy when we made the check in was totally aggressive, he gave me and my friend such a bad impression of the place so you gotta work on it. Anyways, cheers.

Everything is good. Basic breakfast can be included as a part of the package.

Great hostel, great location. Not too far from the city about a 20-30 minute walk depending what route you take. It was situated right next to vondelpark, I Amsterdam sign, and a few museums. I was travelling solo and was looking for somewhere quiet and secure and that was here. If you are looking for a party hostel l I'd maybe go somewhere more central. The people in my room were lovely. The staff were helpful giving us vouchers for cruises and recommending places to go.

• 16th Dec 2015

Good location, nearby museums, walking distance to Albert Market, quiet environment.

• 15th Dec 2015
  • Malaysia

This is not a hostel. Is a hotel with a few shared bedrooms. So, there is no common room, no bar, and the atmosphere is like a hotel. They have GREAT beds, big and comfortable. Bathroom inside the room. Nevertheless, breakfast is expensive, it is somewhat far from the center (30 min walk), and the staff sucks. There is this chinnese guy who treated us like hell. Bad tempered and showting all the time. It is a good place to stay if you just want to sleep in your room.

It is an excelent choice! Atmosphere, facilities and location are the best qualities! It really pays off!

Not the hostel fault of course, but the location is 30 minutes of a walk from town. I love exploring the city but that was just too far. Tram are frequently outside the hostel. Our room 407 was so so good. Really impressed. Value for money and more. Breakfast was €5 per night look very good value also. School kids every morning outside did not disturb us, so please don't get put off from any reviews about the kids.

• 8th Dec 2015

My friend and I had a lovely stay here. The staff was kind and sorted out a mistake I had made on my booking. The breakfast is 5€ if you sign up the night before and it is worth it. Lots of variety. The location was great and it is very clean. I'd definitely stay here again.

I booked this "Hostel" and when i arrived i just found out that it is a Hotel! So don't exspect the typical open- minded Hostel atmosphere. As a single traveller it might be hard to socialise yourself there! Anyway, location was good- but definitley overpriced on weekends!