Hostel Van Gogh Reviews

Van de Veldestraat 5, Amsterdam, Netherlands

I would rather stay in a different area, but I was told to stay at this hostel by a friend so I did not even looked for another option. So I tought it was very close of the museums but far from other things in the city. Except for that everything was good! Excellent breakfast, clean bed and bathroom, nice staff.

Auberge agréable, très bien située, chambre bien propre et bien conçue. bon et copieux petit déjeuner. avons apprécié de louer des vélos! Très bon séjour (3 nuits)

• 10th Jun 2015

My stay was not the most enjoyable. The staff wasn't very helpful and in fact a little rude to both me and my sister. They seemed bothered when I asked for simple directions or train information. When checking in I guess the staff was in a bad mood or having a bad day but that is no reason to take it out on the paying customer. If you are going to continue working in a place that deals with people, I suggest you change your attitude. I would not stay at this hostel again.

• 9th Jun 2015

This was very nice! I loved the location, since it was near Vondelpark and right next to the Van Gogh museums and other museums, but it is definitely a mile or two bike ride/walk to get into the heart of the old town, where people often want to go.

Die Lage ist sehr gut. Aber das Preis ist nicht so günstig.

• 6th Jun 2015
  • China

Pour une auberge de jeunesse c'est un très bon plan, les chambres sont super propres, la salle de bain est très bien aussi. Bien placé, facile d'accés.

• 6th Jun 2015
  • All Male Group, 18-24

I was pretty nervous about staying in a hostel in Amsterdam, but this was honestly one of my best experiences so far. The bed was comfortable, the room was clean, the showers were clean (big plus) and I never felt unsafe ever. It was such a great location even though it feels out of the city on a map, but we were only a 15 minute walk from everything. I didn't need to buy a tram pass until the last day to catch my train, we walked everywhere. Overall, great experience and would stay here again!

If you're traveling on your own, or looking to meet people, this isn't the place to stay! I was surprised seeing a hotel turn some rooms into a hostel. Overall a really clean facility, but there's no bar in the hostel which somewhat sucks. On top of that it's a bit further than other hostels from the main nightlife areas. With that said, it's right across the street from the major museums which makes it nice.

More of a hotel. There is no nice place to hangout. Just a large, cafeteria like room with an uninviting atmosphere. It is next to a kindergarten. The front desk forgot to charge me for almost half of the stay and stopped me to pay the rest. I was confused about it and didn't really understand what happened. There are no large lockers for your things. We stayed in a six bed dorm and there were 5 cubby holes for luggage and bags. The bathrooms smelled as well. Bad vents. Not a travelers place.

• 4th Jun 2015

Bedrooms, bathrooms and bedding all proper and adequate. Room generally clean. Very good breakfasts with good relation price-quality. You have a discount if you hire breakfast at least one day in advance. A possible fault may be that there were not wardrobes in the room, but safe-deposit box, leaving very little space for clothes. General mark: 8.0

• 3rd Jun 2015
  • Spain

Bitte Haken oder Hakenleisten an den Wänden im Zimmer und Badezimmer um auch mal was aufhängen zu können, z. B. nasse Handtücher oder Ähnliches.

Staying in a 2 room was more like Stalingrad in a hotel than in a hostel. Would always recommend the Van Gogh!

Great place to stay, perfect location, great facilities

• 31st May 2015

It was a good hostel, but with no atmosphere at all, we were lucky to get great people in our shared bedroom! Breakfast really great! And the staffs really nice.

• 31st May 2015
  • Faroe Islands

Great location for us! If you are wanting to party, I'd stay further north of the city! Our room was clean and the staff was friendly. Comfortable beds. Wifi worked great! Good breakfast for 5euro. Easily rented bikes from the front desk.

Stayed in the superior double room, nice room and bathroom with very comfortable beds. Location was approx 10/15 minute walk to the night life areas. Would definitely stay here again, nice decor and great facilities. I would call it more of a hotel then hostel.

Good hostel but blatantly converted hotel

• 29th May 2015

It sucked not having a locker for you belongings. You either had to take your bags with you, or trust that your roomates would steal your things. Also, the cold water did not work in the shower, the only option I had was "scolding hot!" The breakfast in the morning was actually exception for the price of $5.

Packed like sardines in a cramped and smelly room. Black mould in the bathroom. Rude staff. Little to no amenities, 8 people to a shoebox and no soap or toilet paper! If you're looking for a place to crash after a long day then it may be fine, but you can find a B&B for the same price and get a proper nights sleep. Its sole saving grace might be its spectacular location. Literally minutes away from the Rijksmuseum, the Van Gogh Museum, and good tram links.

Hostel manager has been rude.