Hostel Van Gogh Reviews

Van de Veldestraat 5, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Lovely staff were very welcoming and helpful. Definitely pick up the discount coupons from reception to get the most out of you stay in A'dam. €5 breakfast was excellent.

Cool hostel with an interesting feel. Lots of very artsy people who aren't very social hang out in common area and everyone is high. Rooms were clean but the stairs sucked.

Great clean hostel. Good value for the money.

• 16th Jun 2015
  • Denmark
  • All Male Group, 18-24

The staff was very pleasent and helpful anytime we need it. Breakfast was tasteful and filling. Considering how busy this place always is, it still feels cosy. Mostly I was surprised how quiet our bedroom was with so many young people under the roof. We got a good night sleep. The location is excellent, right next to Van Gogh museum, Rijks museum, trams stations.

• 16th Jun 2015

great for the museum district! but a bit less convenient for the red light district

• 14th Jun 2015

The desk will be close after 22:00 it makes a little bit inconvenient and not so pleasant during my stay

• 14th Jun 2015
  • Hong Kong

Hostel was in a great location, staff was friendly for the most part. Rooms were nice, although there wasn't a lot of space. We weren't in the room very much, though, so this didn't really matter. Small safes for valuables. A bit pricey for Saturday night, but so was everywhere else we looked. Would definitely stay here again.

Great hostel - near to the museums and no noise at night. Every bed had a light and plug socket - so handy. Lockers in the rooms work on a passcode. The cleaners seemed to make the beds every day as well!

I thought the hostel was fantastic, however it was a bit of an issue when it came to showering as there was one shower between 6 of us, so getting ready took a fair while but other than that everything was great! Also sometimes the cards for the doors would stop working, and some of the safes were broken.

• 12th Jun 2015

Great location near the museums and 15 minutes walk from dam square. More like a hotel than a hostel but big clean room with nice bathroom - no lockers but a safety deposit box. No kitchen- just a kettle and microwave. Clean towel and bed made each day was a nice touch - would recommend for a quiet stay

about a half hour walk from Dam Square, Centraal Station and other attractions in that area. two minutes from Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum. rooms clean. no real common area (only breakfast area)

I would rather stay in a different area, but I was told to stay at this hostel by a friend so I did not even looked for another option. So I tought it was very close of the museums but far from other things in the city. Except for that everything was good! Excellent breakfast, clean bed and bathroom, nice staff.

My stay was not the most enjoyable. The staff wasn't very helpful and in fact a little rude to both me and my sister. They seemed bothered when I asked for simple directions or train information. When checking in I guess the staff was in a bad mood or having a bad day but that is no reason to take it out on the paying customer. If you are going to continue working in a place that deals with people, I suggest you change your attitude. I would not stay at this hostel again.

• 9th Jun 2015

This was very nice! I loved the location, since it was near Vondelpark and right next to the Van Gogh museums and other museums, but it is definitely a mile or two bike ride/walk to get into the heart of the old town, where people often want to go.

I was pretty nervous about staying in a hostel in Amsterdam, but this was honestly one of my best experiences so far. The bed was comfortable, the room was clean, the showers were clean (big plus) and I never felt unsafe ever. It was such a great location even though it feels out of the city on a map, but we were only a 15 minute walk from everything. I didn't need to buy a tram pass until the last day to catch my train, we walked everywhere. Overall, great experience and would stay here again!

If you're traveling on your own, or looking to meet people, this isn't the place to stay! I was surprised seeing a hotel turn some rooms into a hostel. Overall a really clean facility, but there's no bar in the hostel which somewhat sucks. On top of that it's a bit further than other hostels from the main nightlife areas. With that said, it's right across the street from the major museums which makes it nice.

More of a hotel. There is no nice place to hangout. Just a large, cafeteria like room with an uninviting atmosphere. It is next to a kindergarten. The front desk forgot to charge me for almost half of the stay and stopped me to pay the rest. I was confused about it and didn't really understand what happened. There are no large lockers for your things. We stayed in a six bed dorm and there were 5 cubby holes for luggage and bags. The bathrooms smelled as well. Bad vents. Not a travelers place.

• 4th Jun 2015

Bedrooms, bathrooms and bedding all proper and adequate. Room generally clean. Very good breakfasts with good relation price-quality. You have a discount if you hire breakfast at least one day in advance. A possible fault may be that there were not wardrobes in the room, but safe-deposit box, leaving very little space for clothes. General mark: 8.0

• 3rd Jun 2015
  • Spain

Staying in a 2 room was more like Stalingrad in a hotel than in a hostel. Would always recommend the Van Gogh!

Great place to stay, perfect location, great facilities

• 31st May 2015