Hostel Van Gogh Reviews

Van de Veldestraat 5, Amsterdam, Netherlands

No problems at all except for finding it

Great place to stay, prime real estate near great sights and transit. Helpful and friendly staff, clean rooms lavatories. Would definitely stay here again.

• 26th Jun 2014

I chose to stay in the superior 8 bed mixed dorm and it had a shower and toilet in the room itself which was easy and convenient. Each bed had their own sockets too, which was great but remember to bring an adaptor! I was lucky the reception had spares to lend out. The hostel is also very clean and provided each bed with a bath towel. The location was excellent, 1min walk away from Van Gogh Museum and Stedelijk Museum, 5mins walk away from Rijksmuseum. The bad: not much living area, only a cafe.

• 26th Jun 2014
  • Malaysia

We stayed in a room of 8 and it was quite cramped, this was not helped by the fact that the room had just 1 en-suite bathroom which meant that if you needed the toilet while someone was in the shower you were a bit stuck! However, it was very nicely decorated, very clean, secure, the staff were lovely and the breakfast was incredible. It was also nice to be situated in the museum district rather than the red light district because that area is a lot more seedy.

It is a good location if you are interested in museums. A bit removed from the main areas. The staff was ok. Overall a pleasant stay that I would recommend but it was nothing remarkable.

Hotel Van Gogh was JUST OKAY. Some of the stairways and carpeted floors were dirty/stained, doors were unlabeled, and the bathroom floor in our room flooded. Overall the stay was OKAY. Price is really just too much for what you get. The only thing that was negative was the asian-male-receptionist, for whatever reason his attitude was horrible. He hardly looked us in the eye and acted as if we had completely ruined his day by checking in or asking questions. Rude staff is always a no-no.

Really close to museums etc. however a fairly long walk from the centre of city but easy to catch trams etc. clean comfortable beds and small safety deposit boxes in the room were a plus. Really happy with our stay. More of a hotel than hostel!

Wifi strength was very patchy in the room I was in, sometimes cutting out and other times not connecting at all. Not a very social hostel and it would be very hard to meet people if your room-mates were not as sociable as mine. Location was excellent and within walking distance to many places. Lockers could not even fit my laptop which was bad. Showers were wonderful and were cleaned daily. Replacement towels daily was also a positive. Overall a good experience.

Really nice hostel in a very convenient location, right by the Museumplein and a tram stop. Rooms are modern with free safes, breakfast was extra but nice.

We had a great stay here. The only place we felt the hostel was lacking was in having a common space conducive to hanging out and meeting new people. The breakfast area didn't really feel like a place to hang out. Otherwise the hostel was very clean, we were glad to have safes in the room, and we were happy with the lack of a curfew.

• 17th Jun 2014

My stay at the hostel was very good. Location is a 5 min walk from the main "bars" in Amsterdam, and also close to museums. The breakfast was one of the better ones i have had in Europe, but the atmosphere in the hostel was lacking. There was a common room but lacked events or reasons to get ppl to go down there. Clean, rooms are big and bed are comfy!!

This was probably my favorite hostel to stay at during my time in Europe! Super clean facilities, comfy beds, big bathroom, plenty of outlets (w/ a full length mirror), free lockers, and quiet! Not only that, it's located in the museum district and is close to the main bus lines too.

Very clean and nice quality but lacked any atmosphere whatsoever. It is connected to a hotel and everyone really keeps to themselves. There is only a breakfast area to hang out or meet people in, and we found nobody was really interested in that. The location is good, right opposite the Van Gogh museum. We stayed in a 8 person dorm which was really small but the bathroom and beds were simple but nice. Also included brekkie for 6euro and was promised eggs and bacon, only to be told none left.

Hotel Van Gogh is in an excellent area right opposite the museum and a 2 minute walk from the Rijksmuseum. However if you're not into museums and culture, its still only around a 15 minute walk from the city centre area. The rooms were spacious and clean and the Van Gogh painting on the walls gave it an arty vibe - not to mention the beds which were super comfy! However, the staff seemed slightly disinterested but that shouldn't be a reason not to book. Overall, almost to good to be true!

It's easy to get any where from the hostel . I enjoyed my stay there

• 13th Jun 2014
  • Egypt

WiFi was good, bathroom got wet easily, no lockers only safes, bed was comfy, light and charger by the bed. lift and stairs too small. room was a bit crapped. No computers, t.v in the common area was showing world cup games

A fantastic location right by the museumsplein - would definitely recommend it and stay there again.

Booked a 4-bed room, got there and they told me my room was full and put me in an 8-bed dorm instead. Key card I was given didn't work and I had to wait in line again to get a new one. My bunk fell over when I tried to climb into it, no lockers in the room just small hotel safes so I couldn't lock my bag up, I didn't stay for my booking. I immediately booked a room at another nearby property and left.

• 12th Jun 2014

I really liked this hostel-- it was well located, really clean, and fun. The only negative I can add is about the staff. While most of the staff I had contact with were wonderful, helpful, and kind, we did have a few problems with a few of the staff members. I got overcharged (on 2 different cards) for a museum pass one staff member sold me, and the second staff member told me to "look less panicked" when I asked about it... as if I shouldn't be panicked that a big chunk of my money was gone!

The staff was extremely rude and would snap at you if you asked a question about anything. The beds were clean with a nice bathroom and we had a balcony. Nice place just with a horrible staff.