Hostel Van Gogh Reviews

Van de Veldestraat 5, Amsterdam, Netherlands

The location is really great, near the Rijksmuseum, and really easy to get there, because it's close to the Van Gogh Museum. I didn't see a kitchen to make your own food there, however there is always a microwave available. If you book the breakfast one day before it's cheaper. And the breakfast is really good! Nice hostel, will be back more times.

A good hostel overall. Close to the three main arts museums and vondelpark. The neighborhood is really quiet at night though, so don't expect to find too many places for food/drinks after 10pm around the hostel. If you are looking for a quiet hostel that has more of an hotel feel, a.k.a. no mingling with other travelers, then this place is great for a quiet place to sleep. Wifi is slow/nonexistent during peak hours (7pm-1am) but they do offer a nice breakfast buffet for 5 euros.

It's really easy to get to the hostel from Centraal Station, and the hostel is located in an area full of museums, in front of Van Gogh Museum, near the "I amsterdam" sign. I didn't see a kitchen to make your my food there, however there was a microwave available. The breakfast is really good, and booking the breakfast the day before it's EUR 5.00, otherwise it's EUR 6.50. Nice hostel, I would be back there.

Generally we were very happy with the services provided by the Hostel. The best thing about it is its location. Very convenient and in the heart of the city. The majority of the staff were nice. Although the internet connection was somewhat poor in the room, it was really good in the lobby. Would stay there again.

• 22nd Dec 2014
  • Poland

Very nice rooms and amazing bathrooms. No atmosphere, difficult to meet other people and a bit of a walk to most main attractions. Stay here if you want to stay in more of a hotel, than a hostel.

Everything was spot on. Not a single complain. Enjoyed my stay there thoroughly :)

Booked the 8 bed dorm for our group of 8 with our own restroom. Was a woman and man at the front desk who seemed uninterested and were impolite about us using the luggage room. Beyond the staff who were rude and appeared mentally slow, the stay was great. Clean, provided towels, but the location was the best part. Right next to the Vangogh and Rijksmusem. We always just walked to the city center which isn't bad at all, maybe 20 minutes... and there was always something to see along the way.

it was the second time we stayed at the Hostel Van Gogh, and this was great !!! the breakfast is a good investment, the quality and quantity of food is very very good. Also you may use the dinning area if you buy food in a near by supermarket for diiner, for exmple. We took the walkingtour, good idea !!!! highly recommended

• 19th Dec 2014
  • Venezuela

My in-room safe did not work at all. When I asked for help from staff, they did not even come to the room to see why the safe was not working or try to do something to fix it. Although they allowed me to store my valuables with them at the front-desk, nothing was done to address the problem. The wifi was super slow or often not work at all. Breakfast was an added $5 per day - considering the already high nightly rate, the food should be included.

Well located and friendly staff, except for the guy in the breakfast line. Rooms are clean and they replace your towels every day if you leave them on the floor.

This hotel was absolutely stunning! Check-in and -out was done within seconds and the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay there again. The room was gorgeous- as someone used to staying in the cheapest mixed dorms, it felt incredibly luxurious. It's just a pity that the bed meant for couples consists of two single beds pushed together- very annoying if you're trying to spend time with your sweetheart. Otherwise- amazing stay!

This hostel doesn't let people over 40 to stay in shared rooms. This amounts to age discrimination, which is illegal in the USA. I guess the Netherlands is behind the USA as far as the human rights issue is concerned.

Very clean, nice room, moderate price. No complaints here. I did have a private room with 2 double beds so I can't tell you what the dorm rooms are like but the room I stayed in was hotel quality for sure. I guess there was no phone in the room but who uses those anyways?

• 17th Dec 2014

Of all the hostels I've stayed at in Europe, Hostel Van Gogh was by far the nicest. Towels were included, the bathroom was spacious and clean, and the beds were pretty good. The price was very cheap for what we got. The staff was helpful when asking things about the city and I liked that each bed had its own locker to store valuables in. The only thing that could be improved on would be offering a free breakfast (it's currently 5 Euros). Other than that, it's a great place to stay!

The hostel was located in a very nice area. Atmosphere was very relaxing and rooms were brand new. Staff were nice but did not go out of their way to help- as I've experienced in other hostels. I did not appreciate how they did not send an email to notify that a fee had been applied to my card because "I did not show up" I mistakenly booked for the wrong date. I know it was my fault but there's definitely room from improvement in the customer service department.

• 14th Dec 2014

We've stayed in a quite a few hostels, and I have to say, this is one of the best. It may not be in the center of Amsterdam, but it's in a beautiful area and still very close to everything. Very clean, outlets and lights next to each bed, friendly staff, and good breakfast! It's not just adequate, Van Gogh is somewhere I would stay again. If you're looking for hotel standards at hostel prices, this is the hostel. We will most certainly be back!

• 13th Dec 2014

The perk of this hostel is that it is right next door to the museums. It doesn't really have a common area so don't expect to socialize. Honestly the amenities were all satisfactory but the stairwell and hallways had a terrible smell that was hard to separate from the whole experience.

Loved Hostel Van Gogh! Location was prime - around the corner from Van Gogh Museum and tram stops. Market and restaurants

More of a hotel rather than a hostel. Still a really nice place with helpful and nice staff, good location and dorms. Sadly no atmospher at all really, because of it being more of a hotel. Showers are great! Good pressure and lots of room

very pleasant stay, very clean, great breakfast, very good position