Hostel Van Gogh Reviews

Van de Veldestraat 5, Amsterdam, Netherlands

All is well

• 15th Oct 2015
  • Indonesia

I booked a room, in advance, from Belgium. When I read the hostel description and terms, they mentioned that most of the guests tended to be in their twenties. There was no specific age limitation. When I showed up, they told me I was too old and cancelled my reservation. They told me that I'd have to recover my deposit from Hostelworld. They told me I'd make the other guests "uncomfortable." I checked the website, few hours later, I noticed they'd changed the site and added the age limit.

Great security and location, close to all transportation. The staff was okay-ish, not really friendly and the atmosphere is a little dead. It's great to go there if you've got a group of friends, not alone, as it is difficult to meet people. But overall the value for money is great.

• 12th Oct 2015

Everything was clean and well kept, the only thing I didn't like was that to use any of the lights or outlets in the room you had to put your room key in this little slot on the wall. Wasn't really comfortable with that. I mean it is unlikely someone else in the room would take it considering everyone has their own but it is a very strange system.

Disfonctionnement au niveau des cartes pour entrer dans la chambre, personnel agréable, possibilité de prendre le petit déjeuner sur place très pratique, proximité du métro très appreciable

• 11th Oct 2015

Muy bueno, parece más un hotel que un hostel, la ubicación es buena pero del centro para andar caminando es un poquito lejos a la noche hay que cruzar vondelpark y es medio oscuro pero muy bueno todo

I had a very pleasant stay at Van Gogh Hotel. Staying in a single room - just the right size for one person, I was able to enjoy Amsterdam due to the Hotel's great location. I really recommend that the future guest purchases breakfast, it's a great bargain. Overall, staff was polite, quick and very helpful.

• 9th Oct 2015

Worst service I've ever experienced anywhere in my life. Wouldn't allow me to check in after making me wait 5 hours and after taking my money. Staff was completely and blatantly racist and was laughing in my face and humiliating me in front of other customers. When I asked for a glass of water, since I was waiting so long, I was given a dirty glass with black specs floating all over the bottom. For no reason at all I was not allowed to check in. I will be contacting their owner about this.

Beautiful hostel (hotel) with comfy beds and nice rooms. There isn't any atmosphere and alot of the other clients seemed really snobbish. No real kitchen and breakfast is a bit pricey but ok. The girls at reception are lovely but I seen the older guy yelling at some poor girls for something minor, I know tourists can be tiring but maybe you should reconsider your occupation.

Café da manhã a preço justo e aluguel de bicicleta facilitado. Já estou recomendando o hostel aos amigos.

Es carillo los fines de semana, pero luego merece la pena, es un hostel muy bueno con muy buenas habitaciones, la localizacion para mi es de las mejores de todas, pegando al museo de Van Gogh. Seguridad excelente, estaria bien que tuviera algun detalle con los clientes como un bocadillo/sandwich gratuito o algo por el estilo. :)

Very clean, but not very social. It also completely lacked a kitchen. Still, a good value!

Amazing location, really enjoyed my roommates overall, but not much atmosphere. At times, as the only girl in a room of 6, felt a bit strange. Despite those qualms, could not have asked for a better location (I love museums and shops, and I really enjoyed running in the Vogel Gardens every morning. For anyone looking to see museums and get exercise, this is the spot!

This place is basically a hotel with more people per room. It looks brand new and really doesn't seem like a hostel at all. Also located in an ideal location near the iamsterdam sign. Definitely recommend.

More of a budget hotel than a hostel. Wouldn't recommend for solo travellers as there is little atmosphere, little staff interaction/help, and no hostel organised events. Linen was stained and had holes, and the bathroom didn't have a fan so there was mould. No kitchen but fridges and cutlery available for use. Directions to hostel aren't very descriptive so look it up for yourself before you get there.

It seemed like a hostel that was turned into a hostel. It is right next to the rijk museum as well as the Van Gogh museum, but is far walking distance from everything else. The Asian receptionist seems grumpy at all times and seemed very standoffish. The breakfasts were good though.

Hostel world took my deposit and then Hostel Van Gogh refused me entry because I am older than 40. Hostel world refused a refund of 20 Euro booking fee. This is probably illegal. Hostel van Gogh refused to help, they took my money knowing I had booked fairly and honestly. THIS IS A SCAM. Hostel world and Hostel van Gogh are dishonest criminals and I will be pursuing this matter.

• 6th Oct 2015

Easy to find, with the team stop quite near to the hostel. Easy to get around.

8/10 Overall The hostel was very clean including the bathrooms. The front desk was nice and helpful. This hostel is located near the museums in a quiet area, so if you're looking to be in the center of the action this isn't the place, but it's a close enough walk/bike/tram to wherever you need to go. They also offer a good breakfast for 5 Euros. It's a great hostel if you're just looking for a nice place to stay, this isn't a place where you're going to meet a lot of people.

This is not a proper hostel, but a hotel with extra beds in each room. If you want a good vibe and to meet new people, go elsewhere. If you just want a bed, it's fine but be aware you must share an ensuite with 8 others, the bathroom attached to your bedroom is not as great as it sounds.