Hostel Van Gogh Reviews

Van de Veldestraat 5, Amsterdam, Netherlands

This hostel doesn't let people over 40 to stay in shared rooms. This amounts to age discrimination, which is illegal in the USA. I guess the Netherlands is behind the USA as far as the human rights issue is concerned.

Very clean, nice room, moderate price. No complaints here. I did have a private room with 2 double beds so I can't tell you what the dorm rooms are like but the room I stayed in was hotel quality for sure. I guess there was no phone in the room but who uses those anyways?

• 17th Dec 2014

Of all the hostels I've stayed at in Europe, Hostel Van Gogh was by far the nicest. Towels were included, the bathroom was spacious and clean, and the beds were pretty good. The price was very cheap for what we got. The staff was helpful when asking things about the city and I liked that each bed had its own locker to store valuables in. The only thing that could be improved on would be offering a free breakfast (it's currently 5 Euros). Other than that, it's a great place to stay!

The hostel was located in a very nice area. Atmosphere was very relaxing and rooms were brand new. Staff were nice but did not go out of their way to help- as I've experienced in other hostels. I did not appreciate how they did not send an email to notify that a fee had been applied to my card because "I did not show up" I mistakenly booked for the wrong date. I know it was my fault but there's definitely room from improvement in the customer service department.

• 14th Dec 2014

We've stayed in a quite a few hostels, and I have to say, this is one of the best. It may not be in the center of Amsterdam, but it's in a beautiful area and still very close to everything. Very clean, outlets and lights next to each bed, friendly staff, and good breakfast! It's not just adequate, Van Gogh is somewhere I would stay again. If you're looking for hotel standards at hostel prices, this is the hostel. We will most certainly be back!

• 13th Dec 2014

The perk of this hostel is that it is right next door to the museums. It doesn't really have a common area so don't expect to socialize. Honestly the amenities were all satisfactory but the stairwell and hallways had a terrible smell that was hard to separate from the whole experience.

Loved Hostel Van Gogh! Location was prime - around the corner from Van Gogh Museum and tram stops. Market and restaurants

More of a hotel rather than a hostel. Still a really nice place with helpful and nice staff, good location and dorms. Sadly no atmospher at all really, because of it being more of a hotel. Showers are great! Good pressure and lots of room

very pleasant stay, very clean, great breakfast, very good position

Quite a nice hostel with really nice showers. There were some staff that just wouldn't smile no matter how hard I tried to crack them! Although they seemed unfriendly they were quite helpful and let me cancel my last night with a full refund. However the atmosphere of this place is dead. There's no common areas to meet people - more like a hotel.

very good place

• 8th Dec 2014
  • Argentina

The breakfast was excellent and the kitchen/dining facilities were sufficient for basic meals. The key card system is effective, and smart that there are three levels of security to make it to the rooms. It was much appreciated/necessary that the rooms were cleaned daily (except for one day) because eight people in a small space with one bathroom cause a pretty big mess every day. The space is rather small and basic, very clean and in a GREAT location!

Not the best but not the worst! However it wasn't even in the same league and the flying pig downtown or the bull dog which I have previously stayed in. If this is going to be a laid back trip with less partying and more sight seeing then this is probably the right hostel for you! If you want to experience amsterdams famous night life then choose a more central hostel although this is a nice place to get your head down!

Had a great time. Very cool hostel.

• 4th Dec 2014

Hostel Van Gogh is a very nice and clean hostel in the museum district of Amsterdam. The staff are professional. The lounge is good, and the breakfast was adequate. Fridge, microwave, and kettle available only as kitchen facilities but other than that I loved my stay at the hostel. Within walking distance of a supermarket, longer to walk to the Red Light District but doable. Dorm rooms were comfortable, individual safes provided, and a nice bathroom.

Everything was nice and there is nothing to complain about. 8/10 Would visit again.

• 29th Nov 2014
  • Denmark

Great hostel, definitely almost like a hotel! Very clean, rooms had wifi and a television. The location was great, near the Van Gogh museum and Rijksmuseum but still within about a 30 minute walk to the center of the city and everything else. Met some incredible people and had a really nice stay! (note I stayed in the all female dorm)

I like staying at the Van Gogh and had a single room there. All fine, except that the mattress is so soft, I could easily have fallen out of bed had I made a wrong move in my sleep. Other than that, it's great and highly recommended!

really great room, the cleaning boy did great job, the room is so clean. i like the bathroom. the staff are so friendly and helpful. oh, the bed is amzing too.

• 23rd Nov 2014
  • China

We found that our room was nice yet lacked space for luggage leaving you no choice but to have it in the middle of the room, also under the beds was incredibly dusty, obviously hasn't been cleaned in months. Other than that it was a pleasant enough stay