Hostel Van Gogh Reviews

Van de Veldestraat 5, Amsterdam, Netherlands

The only drawback is there wasn't much of a party atmosphere, probably because of the dates we went to Amsterdam. Otherwise, great hostel in a great location with really helpful staff!

Expensive hostel, as I've heard all are in Amsterdam, but man do you get your money's worth! Probably one of the best sleeps I've had EVER. Thanks to the air conditioned rooms, comfy mattresses and plush duvets, I was able to sleep through the return of the 6 other guests in the room and enjoy the sites of Amsterdam by day, regardless of the everyone else's schedule. The bathroom flooded a bit but I can't complain about the shower or other facilities. The 5Euro breakfast is HIGHLY recommended.

This was an extremely nice hostel - I felt safe, comfortable, and clean. The man at the front desk was absolutely fabulous due to his friendliness and helpfulness.

• 23rd May 2014

It felt more like a hotel than a hostel--very nice facilities. Comfortable beds and a great large shower. Good location by Museumplein and close to Vondelpark. The staff weren't that nice. I like hostels when they feel more homey, and this definitely wasn't that. But it was a nice place to stay and a good value for the money. It just wasn't a place to meet people or hang out.

As a reviewer for 4- and 5-star hotels its amazing to see a budget hostel like this one deliver such high levels of service. The 5 euro breakfast is one that cannot be beaten. I have stayed in 5-star hotels that offer less of a quality breakfast at a much higher price. The chances that I will visit this hostel again is very great.

Aside from the very unfriendly staff I enjoyed my stay here especially my superior 6 bed female dorm so worth it for the extra comfort. Great to have a lift and location was perfect so very hard to fault this hostel except for the staff I did not find them particularly friendly but all in all great hostel.

Really great hostel. I would definatley stay there again.

• 16th May 2014

Terrible hostel!!! Disgusting!!! Very dirty!! That was not my first stay in Van Gogh Hotel and I really love it before but now its very dirty hotel with disgusting and rude stuff!! When I come my bed was dirty,with dust in towel an pillow and I asked to change my bed linen. Rude guy from reception desk told me that I should be happy that I had any linen at all. Next day another guy was rude with me when I politely ask some question! So, I'm very sad that wonderful hotel become hole!((

The breakfast was amazing, and the staff very helpful. Would stay again!

Looks more like a hotel. Really nice hostel and nice bathrooms. Clean and located within everything in city

Very comfortable hostel perfect for those looking for a quiet place to stay. The rooms are spacious, your bed is made each day and towels are provided. This gives it somewhat of a hotel feeling. Staff seem to be mainly foreigners. Breakfast is expensive but the supermarket is right around the corner which makes for a nice breakfast outside on the neighbouring museumplein. Recommendable.

The hostel is in a great location, however the hallway carpet was completely soaked through and one of our bed lights wasn't working. We went to reception to notify them that something was leaking and if the light could be replaced and they said yes but didn't seem particularly phased. The next day nothing was done, we told a different member of staff and they said someone would fix it but by the time we checked out the next day no one had fixed it. The price is way too much for what you get.

Good place if you're wanting to see the museums.

Not the worst hostel, but not the best. It's location was very good, but the staff were slow and not very receptive. On the second floor there was no Wifi, which I would have not really cared about except that when I brought it up to reception, they basically told me to deal with it - very rudely. One thing that was nice and convenient was that because we got in late, reception was open late for us.

Nice location for those interested in visiting some of Amsterdam's most popular museums. Felt very secure, nice safes in the room for your valuables and very little riff raff in the surrounding neighborhood.

The staff I met upon arrival was extremely unfriendly and left a really bad impression. Later on I was greeted by a much nicer staff. Location is great for visiting the main museums. I stayed in the 8 person dorm and the rooms were cleaned everyday. Extra 5 euros for breakfast. Don't expect it to be a place to meet people. Huge price boost during busy weekends.

Location is excellent, right by Museumplein. Breakfast was good and staff was helpful. Facilities were good in general. What I think that could make the hostel better would be having a laundry room, lockers inside the bedrooms (because those tiny vaults are good for nothing) and also allowing flash drives in the PCs so the guests can backup their photos or any data that they might have on their devices.

Very nice, very clean hostel. It's in Museuemplein which is close enough to most touristy spots but not in a place where you'd be disturbed by loud people. The breakfast wasn't necessarily worth the price, but that was the only downside.

Some members of the staff team are too antipathetic.

I had an amazing time! The staff was incredible!!

• 19th Apr 2014