Hostel Van Gogh Reviews

Van de Veldestraat 5, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Really enjoyed our stay can't understand the price difference ordering that morning or the night before €1.50. Lighting in the room could be better!

The hostel has a great location, front desk staff weren't the most friendly ones and despite our dorm was clean every day, the toillet had a funny smell

• 11th Nov 2015
  • Portugal

The Van Gogh Hotel was quiet and cozy. It was located literally right next to the Van Gogh museum and the I Amsterdam sign. It was about 15 minutes by tram from central Amsterdam, which was fine. I was very happy with the hostel UNTIL my friend and I noticed HUGE patches of BLACK MOLD above our beds. I couldn't sleep well for the rest of the trip, I was too creeped out and paranoid about the mold. Also the sink in our bathroom leaked.

Great spot for the museums and vondelpark. a hike/tram trip to the center and red light. Clean, good beds. Breakfast is pretty good, 5 euro though.

Good facilities and clean but lacking atmosphere. It would be nice if breakfast was included as well.

Great hostel, perfect location by the Museumplein. Staff were very helpful. Shower was nice. I was pleased that they print boarding passes and museum tickets for free.

• 1st Nov 2015

The hotel is beautifully located in the surroundings of the museum. Very easy to get connected by tram. It was a good hostel however, the asian guy at the reception is always grumpy at all times and not helping at all. He should not be working in this kind of industry. As I have worked before in a hotel, i know how to handle guest even if its at the busiest time of the hour. My impression of the hostel was damaged by the attitude of this asian guy receptionist... he should not be there.

Clean hostel! Excellent staff!

• 29th Oct 2015
  • Malta

Really beautiful place! The rooms are very clean and nice. They have a small and simple breakfast buffet which is pretty good for 5 euros. It's literally next to a school which has it's ups and downs. I always feel that the closer you are to a school or places with children, the more it's likely that the neighbor is safer, so that was a comfort to me. Obviously, though, you can't smoke. One other up and down is it's about half an hour for the city center. Reception is nice and I believe 24 hours

Very brusque asian receptionist bordering on rude , huffing and puffing when asked questions , all other staff fabulous and really helpful, Location, breakfast, rooms fab We travelled as s family

• 29th Oct 2015

Stayed in a 6-person room that still had plenty of space. Nice, clean bathroom. Good breakfast for 5 euros. Extremely close to the Rijksmuseum. Only caveats: I thought the common area was dull, so I never felt a sense of community at the hostel that would allow travelers to socialize (a very small complaint, I know, and possibly my fault), and they charge 15 euros a day for a bike, which is expensive for Amsterdam. All in all, a very nice hostel I'd recommend. But look for bikes elsewhere.

This isn't the cheapest (but nor is it the most expensive) - but for your money, you stay in an excellent location, very close to the big museums and the Vondelpark. I found it very comfortable, and loved that the room had an ensuite - meant I could shower in private! My only complaint is that it would have been nice if the upper bunk had some kind of shelf next to it, for convenience. But otherwise I would definitely recommend it to others.

We loved Hostel Van Gogh! It was in a lovely location, we walked into the city every day - depending on which bit of the city you wanted to go it took anywhere between 10 and 30 mins to walk there but with lovely views it wasn't a problem! The hostel was really clean and nice, with a fresh towel every day if you want it! We stayed in an ensuite 6 bed mixed dorm and the toilet was luxury with a huge shower. Watch out for bikes in the city - they are crazy but also great fun!!!

• 26th Oct 2015

Excellent hostel... Just have one complaint! One person specifically from the staff was very very rude... Had no patience and doesn't know how to deal with people from all over the world. Besides that the hostel is amazing :)

This was my very first ever hostel stay and I was quite nervous about it. My stay at Hostel Van Gogh was great and I will definitely recommend it to anyone visiting Amsterdam in the future. It's basically like a hotel room with more beds than usual. The beds were comfy, the people in my room were very nice, and the room ass cleaned each day and we were also given fresh towels. For the price and the location, it can't be beat. Walking distance to many of the museums as well as other fun sights!

• 25th Oct 2015

The staff was really polite and smily and helped me with a couple of recommendations. The location is definately the top of mind of Hotel Van Gogh. The Museumkwartier is a trendy neighborhood and you can do good shopping, dining and of course, museums! The Museumplein is the best attraction in Amsterdam and the hotel is literaly behind the Van Gogh Museum, better impossible!!!!

• 24th Oct 2015

My stay was fine, the hostel was very well situated but what it really needs is a common area to hand around, plan things, etc. I guess the breakfast area is sort of supposed to be that space but it's really not because I was the only person sitting there for a while then some lady came by to put all the chairs on the tables! This space should be used to its full capacity.

We loved staying in Vam Gogh and I ll even indicate it to my friends. The downside was a staff from reception, the blonde short hair girl who showed no emphatic to people. However the other staff were very kind! Out bedroom as well wasn't cleaned while we were there, what I considered bad from them as it is a good hostel that seemed to worry about i. Anyway, except for that it was very good to stay and I would go back.

• 23rd Oct 2015

Great location and great staff. The only problem was the shower head was broken and you had to hold it up (a very small issue!).

• 23rd Oct 2015
  • Scotland

Lisa the receptionist was such a great help during my stay, she was everything a guy like me wants in a woman :)