Hostel Van Gogh Reviews

Van de Veldestraat 5, Amsterdam, Netherlands

great place to stay if you need somewhere nice to recuperate - great beds, very clean, but super expensive, no sense of community. The girls at reception were cool, but didn't seem to have many suggestions for ways to get a feel for the city, and the guy i talked to at reception was rude and created an uncomfortable environment, which left a sour taste in my mouth

Amazing hostel! The facilities are great and the staff is terrific. It's one of the nicest hostels Ibe ever stayed in. The only complaint is that the location isn't directly in the heart of Amsterdam. It's by the Vondelpark and the museums, which is great in its own way. It was nice to go out to the bars and clubs and then head back to the quiet neighborhood where the hostel is located. It's also close to a great area with a lot of bars. I would definitely recommend the Van Gogh!

• 11th Jul 2015

Great location, close to everything only a 5 minute walk to restaurants, bars and cafes. Ensuite in the rooms and the atmosphere was okay but not great. Wifi wasn't great in our room but was fine downstairs.

Very close to tram stops and museums. Great place to stay

This was the first hostel we stayed at during our trip, and we were extremely happy with it. It was relatively easy to find, in a good location (quiet area). The room and bathroom were really clean (the shower was amazing!!) The breakfast (5euro per person) was good, a great variety of food - worth it! I would definitely go back to that hostel and recommend you do too!

For the most part the staff were very friendly, the one thing that disturbed me was that as I was checking in the manager was being rude to another customer who was having a complaint. The manage did not seem to want to address the issue and just interrupted and augued with the customer. It made me feel hesitant to check in. I did check in though and had a pleasant stay with no need to complain to the management.

Excellent location.

• 6th Jul 2015

Thank you for a fantastic stay your hostel is spotless, modern and the staff are friendly and helpful. WiFi is excellent , breakfast delicious and the location is perfect. We will definitely be back on the way home to Australia in s couple of months😀😀😀 Kerryn and Daniel Australia

Felt like a budget motel., but with eight people in a space built for two. Good location outside of the main tourist area, which I would recommend. Breakfast was OK, nothing special but worth eating.

The room was small, but that's to be expected. Breakfast was great.

The location was very nice almost all trumps go in front of it

Location is nice. Rooms are small, but nice. AC controls didn't work right, but the room stayed comfortable. Would stay again, very close to the trams, busses, and museums. (only blocks)

Wifi was unusable. Asides from that the hostel is very nice, feels more like a hotel as there is one attached to the hostel, which detracts from the atmosphere, but overall I would recommend.

• 29th Jun 2015
  • All Male Group, 18-24

So much better than expected. Room was clean and very nice. Better than some hotels I've stayed in.

• 29th Jun 2015

this hostel looks like a hotel, I stayed with other three people in a 4 bedroom dorm, it was awsome, good internet, good shower, televison. Everything was really nice. I would recommend it at 100%.

We stayed on the hotel side of the hostel so our accommodations were extra nice. Lovely rooms and great location if you don't want to be in the noise of the red light district

Loved the location, very clean rooms and great breakfast. But on day 2 of my 3 night stay, the cleaners robbed my security box of any cash they could get their hands on. Staff did nothing to correct this loss of hundreds of Euros, and told me they couldn't question their cleaning staff. They finally comp'd me my bed but that wasn't nearly the amount that was stolen. Security in the hostel lax at best. No key needed to get in to the bldg. Security of guests not taken seriously. STAY AWAY!

Little pricey but it feels more like a hotel than a hostel

Towrls were sometimes way to small to even cover your body & at times the shower was so hot and we couldnt turn the temperature knob up or down!

• 25th Jun 2015

The bunk beds are super tall which made me want to switch after the first night staying there but Ben though one staff member told me I could, the next day I was told by a different person that they had to hold the two free beds in case an old or larger person needed a bed. That's a first. The room was very clean, tiny lockers (big enough for valuables only), great bedding, decent 5euro breakfast but wish it were free, and no common area with a community feel because it was shared with a hotel.