Hostel Van Gogh Reviews

Van de Veldestraat 5, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Good hostel, right in front of a tram station, comfortablr bed, hot shower, just a little bit expensive.

• 31st Jul 2014

A bit pricey, but Amsterdam is, otherwise fantastic! Great quality of furnishing.

Overall a good hostel-- extremely helpful staff, convenient location, and clean facilities. The one negative of this hostel is the lack of social atmosphere. There is sort of a common area, but it is a restaurant style set up (tables as opposed to chairs/couches) so you don't meet as many people at this hostel as you might at other hostels. That said, it was still a great stay and I would definitely recommend the hostel, though it is better for people traveling with friends than alone.

• 26th Jul 2014

When we checked into our 8 person dorm the sink was clogged. I immediately told them but it took them 3 days to fix and I asked them everyday! We couldn't brush our teeth or wash our hands so we had to do that in the shower. Also some of the staff didn't seem friendly at all. However, good location.

• 26th Jul 2014

The staff were very rude one girl in perticular, blond is hair tied in bun. the room flooded and though we were given a new room and upgrade, my friend and i were put in separate rooms One worker was very apologetic good looking young man with surer looking hair. Manager stressed and unable to solve any situation. The location is a bit far out it very expensive, breakfast for 5 euros was not really worth it, and no real social things were going on.

Was a really nice hostel. Location was a little far from the center, a good 25-30 minute walk. Was a decent hostel.

Hostel Van Gogh is a very pretty hostel. It is located next to the van gogh museum. It is not far away from anything, everything is in walking distance. . Also, for me it was perfectly located because it is not in the middle of the Red Light District chaos. The hostel looks like a hotel so it is very nice and clean. There is wifi and towels are available for no charge. I would certainly recommen this hostel.

Best hostel I have stayed at throughout Europe!! Good location and facilities, nice staff and great rooms with air con. I highly recommend!!

Had quite a big issue with the staff and our check in time being after midnight and they originally wouldn't let us check into our room, even though they have 24 hour reception and no curfew, and they also wanted us to pay the cancellation fee (which was the nights accommodation). This was very annoying for our group and started out stay off in a bad way, Hostel was nice and our bathroom was good, although not noticeably cleaned while we were there. Only small lockers and some didn't work.

This hostel could be considered a hotel. It is super comfortable and they have the best breakfast. The rooms are clean and they have elevators, super important in a city as amsterdam where the stairs are super steep. Very well located, besides of Van gogh museum and Art museum, where it is the famous "I amsterdam" signboard.

Great hostel, each bunk had one light, and one electric plug as well as a few more around the room. Bunks were fine. Extra chairs around the rooms. No secure luggage crates. The ensuite bathroom was pretty clean for being shared, floor was always wet because no floor towels. Rooms were quiet, can't hear anything downstairs, only in the hallways. Lovely Van Gogh decor, very close to many of the museums, less than a minute walk to the tram stop where everything else is a few stops away.

More of shared hotel room. Reception can be very abrasive and rude.

Nice hostel! Quite far away from the city's nightlife!

Great location, great rooms (they even had air conditioning!!) but the staff wasn't very helpful.

Definitely a no frills place. Area is quiet and about 20 mins outside city (which they did say). Wasn't hard to get to. I suggest a multi say pass for the subways so u can get to everywhere. No shower curtain made the floor soaking wet, but overall a decent place to lay you head. Asked the first day for no room service, the lady went in...that was annoying. After that I made my own do not disturb sign and they listened.

Great hostel to stay at, very clean and close to some great areas in amsterdam. has some potential to be amazing with two changes.... staff are very rude refused to help on two separate problems I had which would have been simple fixes for them.... and a minor point but development of a communual area facilitate mixing.

This was a hotel and was partially converted into a hostel. the rooms were really nice. I was in an 8-person mixed room with an ensuite, which included a very nice bathroom. There were safes in the room, and the beds were the most comfortable beds I've ever slept on in a hostel. And the 5 euro breakfast is totally worth it.. It even included bacon! Very happy with my stay here.

very comfortable stay !

• 11th Jul 2014
  • India

There are small safes rather than lockers, and valuables can be left at the front desk after check out because the luggage room is not the safest. This hostel was pretty clean, the unlimited buffet breakfast is very good, and the staff was nice enough if a little curt. The walk from this hotel to central parts of town (like Dam Square) is over 30 minutes, which was the only drawback. There's a lovely bakery down the street from there, and the proximity to Museumplein is great.

• 11th Jul 2014

This hostel is perfect for backpackers we made friends in our dorm we loved the decor the staff were friendly we only had one issue which was the room next door had children in who kept screaming and playing knock a door run at early hours of the morning! But you get silly kids everywhere you go so dont let it put you off highly recommend this hostel.