Hostel Van Gogh Reviews

Van de Veldestraat 5, Amsterdam, Netherlands

The location is good, staffs are friendly. Clean and comfortable.

Staff is classless, we accidentally missed booked 2'people instead of 4. The staff was so worried we were going to sneak the other people in the treated us poorly and when my girlfriend was in the bathroom someone opened the door to our private room and peaked in not thinking she would notice. One of the girls working the front was being aggressive as we walked by mumbling loud enough for us to hear that " your not sneaking people in your room , that's not gonna fly I'm going to tell the manager

We were traveling as a group of 7 and stayed in an 8 person dorm with a private bathroom. The room itself was awesome and the bathroom was clean and a good size - really modern too. Definitely felt more like a hotel than a hostel.

Great location, not too busy. Trams and busses stop nearby. Good beds and clean, relatively new bathroom. Just unfortunate with roommates who would snore and get up and go in the middle of the night.

Overall a good stay, but the sheets did not feel clean and that is sort of a basic thing that I expect from a hostel. There's not much of a community vibe in the common area, but I met nice people in my dorm. The breakfast is good! Definitely worth the 5 euros, thumbs up for free towels also. People at the desk were polite but not friendly. Decent place! Also a really good location. I'd probably stay here again.

The location is good, the room is clean, highly recommend.

Best place to stay in Amsterdam PERIOD! In the middle and center of all the attraction spots! Walking distance from everything..

Rooms were wonderful and the location was very good next to the rijksmuseum but there was no atmosphere. No common areas, only for breakfast.

The bed was nice and so was some of the staff, but others where very rude and not helpful at all the shower would over flow and soke the floor other then that i enjoyed my stay

• 26th Sep 2015

No significant complaints about this hostel. Everything was clean, and the breakfast (which is not free) was great; one of the better selections I've seen and worth paying for. Very close to bus/tram stops and the museums, but a 25 minute walk to the city center. My room was a bit cramped, and the common area was not great for mingling.

• 25th Sep 2015

The hostel was great however in my opinion, it is way too expensive for what you get. I stayed in an 8 dorm room which had little space to put luggage and was literally 30cm from the bed next to me so at times was quite awkward when sleeping with no personal space. Also for what we are paying I would have expect Doona covers to be changed but on both occasions when rooms were being cleaned they were not changed which makes me question hygiene and cleanliness. A positive, staff were helpful!

Well, when you pay that amount, you usually expect the iron would be free for you. Paying 10 Euro to lend the iron is a bit much in my opinion. They can make an obligatory guarantee money when you are taking it from the reception, and it will not harm no one. Hotel's room was quite nice. Only one of our plug wasn't working but it was okay. I really enjoy the cleaniness in the room. Also Milena helped us and she is always smiling and trying to help :), thank you for that.

• 24th Sep 2015
  • Turkey

The two times that we stayed at Van Gogh Hostel we had a great experience. The staff is very nice, helpful and polite, we were treated very well. The breakfast is wonderful for the price. One thing I disliked about our last stay is that we booked for a room of 8 and there were 9 people there.

• 23rd Sep 2015

This hostel was clean and in a great location. It was easy to walk nearly everywhere or to catch a tram or bus within a couple of blocks. Several museums in the immediate neighbourhood as well. Only real downside is that the room was a touch small so while there were safes for valuables there was no luggage storage space so pack light!

Great hostel and amazing staff with a lovely attitudes. Fresh towels everyday and bathrooms were of a great standard! A shame that the price jumps ridiculously high over the weekend.

The hostel was more like a hotel than anything. Location was great, and the staff was friendly. it also seems to attract an older crowd and it is more difficult for solo travelers to meet new people than other hostels I've been in.

Receptionists were incredibly helpful!!

Shared the 6 bed room with bunk beds had an excellent time was perfect for spending the day out and just needing a bed and somewhere to shower - shower was huge and really good! Staff were nice they were busy but still tried to make an effort to be nice they even sorted a taxi to the airport for us.

• 18th Sep 2015

I just stayed one night, so I dont have too much to say. But the hostel was very clean.

Compared to other hostels the value for money was poor since the price was 20% over other hostels, but the comfort was worse. I had no locker in the room and had to go over the varanda to reach the showers. Maybe it is an effect of being located in Brussels but a little bit more comfort could be possible for such a fee.