Hostel Van Gogh Reviews

Van de Veldestraat 5, Amsterdam, Netherlands

it was the second time we stayed at the Hostel Van Gogh, and this was great !!! the breakfast is a good investment, the quality and quantity of food is very very good. Also you may use the dinning area if you buy food in a near by supermarket for diiner, for exmple. We took the walkingtour, good idea !!!! highly recommended

• 19th Dec 2014
  • Venezuela

My in-room safe did not work at all. When I asked for help from staff, they did not even come to the room to see why the safe was not working or try to do something to fix it. Although they allowed me to store my valuables with them at the front-desk, nothing was done to address the problem. The wifi was super slow or often not work at all. Breakfast was an added $5 per day - considering the already high nightly rate, the food should be included.

Well located and friendly staff, except for the guy in the breakfast line. Rooms are clean and they replace your towels every day if you leave them on the floor.

This hotel was absolutely stunning! Check-in and -out was done within seconds and the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay there again. The room was gorgeous- as someone used to staying in the cheapest mixed dorms, it felt incredibly luxurious. It's just a pity that the bed meant for couples consists of two single beds pushed together- very annoying if you're trying to spend time with your sweetheart. Otherwise- amazing stay!

This hostel doesn't let people over 40 to stay in shared rooms. This amounts to age discrimination, which is illegal in the USA. I guess the Netherlands is behind the USA as far as the human rights issue is concerned.

Very clean, nice room, moderate price. No complaints here. I did have a private room with 2 double beds so I can't tell you what the dorm rooms are like but the room I stayed in was hotel quality for sure. I guess there was no phone in the room but who uses those anyways?

• 17th Dec 2014

Great hostel in Amsterdam. Some people complaint that it doesn't look like a hostel but more like a hotel. I must agree... But that wasn't a problem. Super clean and comfortable. Fairly good location and nice staff. You won't regret!

• 15th Dec 2014
  • Portugal

Of all the hostels I've stayed at in Europe, Hostel Van Gogh was by far the nicest. Towels were included, the bathroom was spacious and clean, and the beds were pretty good. The price was very cheap for what we got. The staff was helpful when asking things about the city and I liked that each bed had its own locker to store valuables in. The only thing that could be improved on would be offering a free breakfast (it's currently 5 Euros). Other than that, it's a great place to stay!

The hostel was located in a very nice area. Atmosphere was very relaxing and rooms were brand new. Staff were nice but did not go out of their way to help- as I've experienced in other hostels. I did not appreciate how they did not send an email to notify that a fee had been applied to my card because "I did not show up" I mistakenly booked for the wrong date. I know it was my fault but there's definitely room from improvement in the customer service department.

• 14th Dec 2014

We've stayed in a quite a few hostels, and I have to say, this is one of the best. It may not be in the center of Amsterdam, but it's in a beautiful area and still very close to everything. Very clean, outlets and lights next to each bed, friendly staff, and good breakfast! It's not just adequate, Van Gogh is somewhere I would stay again. If you're looking for hotel standards at hostel prices, this is the hostel. We will most certainly be back!

• 13th Dec 2014

The perk of this hostel is that it is right next door to the museums. It doesn't really have a common area so don't expect to socialize. Honestly the amenities were all satisfactory but the stairwell and hallways had a terrible smell that was hard to separate from the whole experience.

Loved Hostel Van Gogh! Location was prime - around the corner from Van Gogh Museum and tram stops. Market and restaurants

More of a hotel rather than a hostel. Still a really nice place with helpful and nice staff, good location and dorms. Sadly no atmospher at all really, because of it being more of a hotel. Showers are great! Good pressure and lots of room

very pleasant stay, very clean, great breakfast, very good position

Quite a nice hostel with really nice showers. There were some staff that just wouldn't smile no matter how hard I tried to crack them! Although they seemed unfriendly they were quite helpful and let me cancel my last night with a full refund. However the atmosphere of this place is dead. There's no common areas to meet people - more like a hotel.

very good place

• 8th Dec 2014
  • Argentina

The breakfast was excellent and the kitchen/dining facilities were sufficient for basic meals. The key card system is effective, and smart that there are three levels of security to make it to the rooms. It was much appreciated/necessary that the rooms were cleaned daily (except for one day) because eight people in a small space with one bathroom cause a pretty big mess every day. The space is rather small and basic, very clean and in a GREAT location!

Not the best but not the worst! However it wasn't even in the same league and the flying pig downtown or the bull dog which I have previously stayed in. If this is going to be a laid back trip with less partying and more sight seeing then this is probably the right hostel for you! If you want to experience amsterdams famous night life then choose a more central hostel although this is a nice place to get your head down!

Had a great time. Very cool hostel.

• 4th Dec 2014

Hostel Van Gogh is a very nice and clean hostel in the museum district of Amsterdam. The staff are professional. The lounge is good, and the breakfast was adequate. Fridge, microwave, and kettle available only as kitchen facilities but other than that I loved my stay at the hostel. Within walking distance of a supermarket, longer to walk to the Red Light District but doable. Dorm rooms were comfortable, individual safes provided, and a nice bathroom.