Hostel Van Gogh Reviews

Van de Veldestraat 5, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Location and rooms very good but staff was not that friendly.

• 23rd Feb 2014

Quite a walk from the old town/ red light district would not recommend for party goers. Lovely rooms with modern bathrooms, very clean.

• 21st Feb 2014

Great hostel for a good price with nice rooms and wonderful ensuite bathrooms. The location is nice and close to the main attractions without being right in the middle of town. Only issue was the copious amount of mould on the wall and ceiling in an otherwise clean and modern dorm room. Surely this is something which can be easily cleaned and I hope the owners do something about it. Awesome stay nonetheless.

We had one of the double rooms and when we arrived, the hostel/hotel seemed to be a nice place. The location is right between the museum's square and the street with the high end designers stores. Local transport is near by. The room was small but cute and staff was friendly BUT the beds were disgusting. Blurry bedlinen with dirty pillows and plaids inside. We got the linen changed and the day after we got changed the pillows too, but beds should be checked better by the staff.

The hostel was clean, easily accessible and close to the museum quarter. The other travellers in my dorm were all really friendly but the Asian receptionist was unhelpful and curt, not the best person to be the first point of contact and he did not give a great first impression of the hostel!

• 13th Feb 2014

We stayed here because I really wanted to go to the museums and galleries and it is PERFECTLY located for this. It is a bit further from the old city but we walked there in 10-15 minutes. We stayed in a private room which was like a hotel. It was comfortable, clean and had a kettle and tv.

I really really enjoyed staying at Van Gogh. Actually it is not a hostel but a hotel. The room is well designed. It is so clean and safe. Location is pretty good just near to the museum plein and tram station. I would definitely recommend it and stay here again!

Staff wasn't quite informative comparing to several places I've visited. They couldn't even answer simple questions like until what time do trams and buses operate, where could travelers purchase ticket, etc.

We stayed in a private room, which was just any 3-4 star hotel room. Clean, well-structured, the room was very comfortable and spacious. The lobby is not great, but good enough for the main purposes. Staff is very kind and willing to help.

I Liked the location and the facilities. However the staff is very rude. The Indian girl in the lobby is extreme unpolited . I aked for directions and informations and she alway replied like " you have to ask on the street" or " I don't know ". The problem is that she did that without even looking at me, more worried in update her Facebook. That is not the kind of attitude we expect from a hostel.

Excellent facilities including an amazing bathroom and a delicious breakfast. Comfortable rooms, not too loud at night. Secure lockers in bedrooms for storage. Perfect location for gallery hopping - Van Gogh just over the road, Rijksmuseum just over the road. Easily accessible by tram from the city centre. Staff on reception came across a little rude at times - wasn't sure whether it was a language barrier or not!

Nice hostel in the centre of the museum district and near a lot of good stores. Staff were friendly and the rooms were nice however there should have been a better atmosphere and more facilities. Bathroom was clean and beds were comfortable. Doing a good thing when it comes to appealing to students.

• 31st Jan 2014

Nice staff, very good locations to cool places to have a drink and if you like walking, a walking distance to all Amsterdam.

Good location from the airport with the bus, and quite central to most of the tourist hotspots and only a minute walk away from a tramstop. Not a hostel to use if you're looking to meet other travellers however perfect if travelling alone or wanting a quieter place to stay.

Lovely place to stay! all the staff are really nice and helpful too The room is high-standard hotel room used as a 8-dorm room, really nice rooms! They clean up the room everyday, and make up your bed. They even have locker with password for every person in the room. Nice!

No atmosphere, disinterested staff, squeaky beds, great location, clean rooms, weird smell. Well, I wouldn't really recommend this place, but it does no harm.

Excellent facilities and cleanliness. Thanks.

Very easy to book and to find when I got to Amsterdam. The girl at the front desk when checked in was so rude, hardly made eye contact with me and didn't offer anything except taking my money, not even a smile. The room itself was excellent, I had a private room, it was just small. The bathroom was also excellent, it looked pretty new as well. It is a bit of a walk to the centum but I did not mind that at all. Would recommend.

• 13th Jan 2014

It was like a hotel, the bathroom and shower were especially impressive. We had towels in the rooms and even a TV. Would highly recommend this hostel!

Had a really good few nights here. The staff were helpful and friendly but didnt give the feeling they wanted to be there. The rooms were really nice and cleaned really well everyday an the bathrooms were great by hostel standards.