Hostel Van Gogh Reviews

Van de Veldestraat 5, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Great hostel to stay at, very clean and close to some great areas in amsterdam. has some potential to be amazing with two changes.... staff are very rude refused to help on two separate problems I had which would have been simple fixes for them.... and a minor point but development of a communual area facilitate mixing.

This was a hotel and was partially converted into a hostel. the rooms were really nice. I was in an 8-person mixed room with an ensuite, which included a very nice bathroom. There were safes in the room, and the beds were the most comfortable beds I've ever slept on in a hostel. And the 5 euro breakfast is totally worth it.. It even included bacon! Very happy with my stay here.

very comfortable stay !

• 11th Jul 2014
  • India

There are small safes rather than lockers, and valuables can be left at the front desk after check out because the luggage room is not the safest. This hostel was pretty clean, the unlimited buffet breakfast is very good, and the staff was nice enough if a little curt. The walk from this hotel to central parts of town (like Dam Square) is over 30 minutes, which was the only drawback. There's a lovely bakery down the street from there, and the proximity to Museumplein is great.

• 11th Jul 2014

This hostel is perfect for backpackers we made friends in our dorm we loved the decor the staff were friendly we only had one issue which was the room next door had children in who kept screaming and playing knock a door run at early hours of the morning! But you get silly kids everywhere you go so dont let it put you off highly recommend this hostel.

Good location

I've had limited experience with hostels but my roommates told me that this was the nicest hostel they've ever seen, and I agree after staying at three different hostels in three different countries. Van Gogh offers a lot of luxury, for hostels, amenities.

This hostel has an amazing location next to the Van Gogh and rijks museum, but that's about it - when I arrived (18:00) my bed was not made, the bathroom was a mess - and more than anything the hostel has a sterile atmosphere. Might be okay to stay here as a group, but as a solo traveler this hostel was boring/overpriced/not the best.

Would return. Hostel was clean, breakfast was good. Some of the staff was more helpful that others, they can be a bit brusque. Hostel was a bit pricey for what it was, but that seemed to be the going rate in Amsterdam.

I had a nice stay at Hostel Van Gogh whilst in Amsterdam. However, keep in mind, it is not located in the city centre. I would advise getting a bike to get around the city since Amsterdam is so bike friendly. The hostel is clean however I felt the atmosphere to be a bit lacking. There are some nice restaurants, shops, and Vondelpark just a few minutes bike ride away. Not sure if I would stay here again though.

Stayed with my two children in July very safe, clean and comfy. Breakfast was one off the best We've seen lots to choose from . Very friendly staff, will definitely be back!

• 6th Jul 2014

Staff was terrible. When I checked in they treated it like a transaction. Did not ask if i needed a map, how my trip was or even say hello. When I checked out it was the same. It was like they were on auto pilot. There is no place to hang out and meet people. Just the breakfast area which isn't conducive to hanging out. It's more of a hotel atmosphere.

This is literally a hotel that they stuffed bunk beds into. There's nowhere to socialize at all and most people seemed to be in town in groups to party, not to explore Amsterdam, so it was hard to meet people as a solo traveler. The shower in my bathroom constantly overflowed but otherwise the rooms were pretty good. The Van Gogh Museum, Vondelpark, and a lot of shopping are nearby and the rest of the great sights are 15–30 minutes away by foot.

Good location if you are looking to check out the nearby museums and parks. Also very close to public transportation. Overall had a good experience but for a hostel it was a bit expensive for a student trying to travel on a budget.

Very nice hostel in a nice area of Amsterdam. Comfortable beds and good air conditioning in the rooms. Very close to Vondlepark and a walkable distance to the main parts of Amsterdam

Very nice rooms. Have plenty of room for the visitors. Would recommend to others. During the day outside the hostels front entrance, there is a day care with a bunch of kids, so it shows that the area is safe.

Good breakfast, bad lift, no good wifi

It's clean, it's near a tram stop, I got upgraded to a 3 bed dorm so I didn't get bad value, but the original prices are a bit crazy, because really it's just a simple hostel, expensive breakfast and wifi doesn't really work. there's nothing wrong with the place but not much to merit the price either other than the fact that 'it's in Amsterdam'

Expensive but the best!

No problems at all except for finding it