Hostel Van Gogh Reviews

Van de Veldestraat 5, Amsterdam, Netherlands

8/10 Overall The hostel was very clean including the bathrooms. The front desk was nice and helpful. This hostel is located near the museums in a quiet area, so if you're looking to be in the center of the action this isn't the place, but it's a close enough walk/bike/tram to wherever you need to go. They also offer a good breakfast for 5 Euros. It's a great hostel if you're just looking for a nice place to stay, this isn't a place where you're going to meet a lot of people.

This is not a proper hostel, but a hotel with extra beds in each room. If you want a good vibe and to meet new people, go elsewhere. If you just want a bed, it's fine but be aware you must share an ensuite with 8 others, the bathroom attached to your bedroom is not as great as it sounds.

Our bathroom sink was clogged and never got fixed over the 5 nights we stayed there. My sister and I both left covered in bug bites. Got new bites every night we stayed there.

This is more of a hotel. The bunks are just normal hotel rooms with bunk beds in them. So one hotel bathroom (ensuite) to 8 people. Our shower was broken so you had to hold the sprayer the whole time. The front desk staff aren't very personable and we were kicked out of the dining room at night because it is "for breakfast only." There aren't any common rooms either. It's a clean facility, but it doesn't have much to offer other than that. It's right next to a school as well. Wifi sucked.

20 mins walk away from the city centre but a really short and easy team ride. Great hostel with an amazing breakfast for €5, get in early for bacon!! Great quiet hostel close to enough to the city, close too all the art galleries and full of great people to meet. One of the BEST bathrooms in a hostel I have seen. I stayed in a 8bed mixed room and had the best time, I extended my stay from 7days to three and a half weeks!! Two strong thumbs up!!!

Direi ottimo, molto tranquillo e pulito... Posizione non proprio al centro ma buona perché in quel lato della città ci sono parecchie cose da visitare!

• 2nd Oct 2015

The location is good, staffs are friendly. Clean and comfortable.

Staff is classless, we accidentally missed booked 2'people instead of 4. The staff was so worried we were going to sneak the other people in the treated us poorly and when my girlfriend was in the bathroom someone opened the door to our private room and peaked in not thinking she would notice. One of the girls working the front was being aggressive as we walked by mumbling loud enough for us to hear that " your not sneaking people in your room , that's not gonna fly I'm going to tell the manager

We were traveling as a group of 7 and stayed in an 8 person dorm with a private bathroom. The room itself was awesome and the bathroom was clean and a good size - really modern too. Definitely felt more like a hotel than a hostel.

Great location, not too busy. Trams and busses stop nearby. Good beds and clean, relatively new bathroom. Just unfortunate with roommates who would snore and get up and go in the middle of the night.

Overall a good stay, but the sheets did not feel clean and that is sort of a basic thing that I expect from a hostel. There's not much of a community vibe in the common area, but I met nice people in my dorm. The breakfast is good! Definitely worth the 5 euros, thumbs up for free towels also. People at the desk were polite but not friendly. Decent place! Also a really good location. I'd probably stay here again.

The location is good, the room is clean, highly recommend.

Best place to stay in Amsterdam PERIOD! In the middle and center of all the attraction spots! Walking distance from everything..

Rooms were wonderful and the location was very good next to the rijksmuseum but there was no atmosphere. No common areas, only for breakfast.

The bed was nice and so was some of the staff, but others where very rude and not helpful at all the shower would over flow and soke the floor other then that i enjoyed my stay

• 26th Sep 2015

No significant complaints about this hostel. Everything was clean, and the breakfast (which is not free) was great; one of the better selections I've seen and worth paying for. Very close to bus/tram stops and the museums, but a 25 minute walk to the city center. My room was a bit cramped, and the common area was not great for mingling.

• 25th Sep 2015

The hostel was great however in my opinion, it is way too expensive for what you get. I stayed in an 8 dorm room which had little space to put luggage and was literally 30cm from the bed next to me so at times was quite awkward when sleeping with no personal space. Also for what we are paying I would have expect Doona covers to be changed but on both occasions when rooms were being cleaned they were not changed which makes me question hygiene and cleanliness. A positive, staff were helpful!

Well, when you pay that amount, you usually expect the iron would be free for you. Paying 10 Euro to lend the iron is a bit much in my opinion. They can make an obligatory guarantee money when you are taking it from the reception, and it will not harm no one. Hotel's room was quite nice. Only one of our plug wasn't working but it was okay. I really enjoy the cleaniness in the room. Also Milena helped us and she is always smiling and trying to help :), thank you for that.

• 24th Sep 2015
  • Turkey

The two times that we stayed at Van Gogh Hostel we had a great experience. The staff is very nice, helpful and polite, we were treated very well. The breakfast is wonderful for the price. One thing I disliked about our last stay is that we booked for a room of 8 and there were 9 people there.

• 23rd Sep 2015

This hostel was clean and in a great location. It was easy to walk nearly everywhere or to catch a tram or bus within a couple of blocks. Several museums in the immediate neighbourhood as well. Only real downside is that the room was a touch small so while there were safes for valuables there was no luggage storage space so pack light!