Hostel Van Gogh Reviews

Van de Veldestraat 5, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Great location near a major tram line, the Van Gogh museum, and a grocery store. No real common area. This is more a hotel than a hostel. You have to pay for breakfast (5 Euros a day I believe). Rooms were cleaned daily. Staff was knowledgeable.

This is more like a hotel hostel. Nicely situated in the museum district. A walk to the city center but this is a city for strolling around in. The breakfast, not included, had many many options to start your day. This is also right next to the I Amsterdam sign if you are looking for that.

Very good location. It worth the investment. Very clean and secure, I had no problems at all. The night staff is not very friendly, I'd say this reception guy is a very arrogant one. I do recommend this place to everyone.

• 6th Oct 2013

This hostel was in a central location to all the museums. The Van Gogh museum less than 1 kilometers away. It was a bit of a walk to the Red LIght District, Coffee Shops, and main area. Overall the staff was friendly and the facilities were clean

• 5th Oct 2013

My sister, Rosemary Waite and I, Caroline Armitage, enjoyed our stay at Hotel/Hostel Van Gogh. It is in a wonderful position, so easy to reach the three museums which we love to visit. The only hiccup was on arrival on the afternoon of 4th October. The young man on duty was new, and would not accept the copies of the confirmation, saying that we owed 218.70 Euros on check-in. He kept talking about "an expensive Tourism Tax" and this was most annoying, as we had heard nothing of this.

• 4th Oct 2013

pretty nice hostel, well positioned and full of comfort. i have to say that the presence of a kitchen would be great

good hostel small rooms

• 2nd Oct 2013
  • Greece
  • All Male Group, 31-40

The staff were helpful with the exception of 1 person (the little man was a bit rude). It was right across the street from the Can Gogh Museum and 20 minute walk to the centre which was good. The cleaning could have been a bit better, you can tell they don't do a full proper clean by the large areas the miss.

Only stayed for one night but a lovely hostel, seemingly somewhere inbetween a typical hostel and a hotel! Staff were helpful and the 5 euro breakfast is great.

I loved staying at Hotel Van Gogh. The staff was friendly and helpful, the location was excellent for museums and markets and good food. Because it's farther out from the center (about 20-30 minutes walk) it was quiet at night. Amsterdam is a huge city, but I would recommend this hostel if you don't mind a bit of walking to get around.

I was very impressed with the cleanliness of this hostel. The rooms are new, large and comfortable. The wi-fi internet worked very well. Anyone can access the main area of the city by walking around 20-30min. There are Tram lines (2 and 5) with stops just around the corner going to the central area too. The van gogh and Rijks museums are a few steps from the hostel. The breakfeast (5 euros) has a variety of food. I would definetly recommend this hostel.

• 1st Oct 2013

Not a bad place, great location, near a few good museums. Neighborhood was nice, near the IAmsterdam park. Not close to the main train station but I'm a walker so I didn't mind. Wifi worked throughout the rooms which is rare. Elevator is very small (2 person max with luggage) but taking the stairs is a little less convienant (though interesting)and breakfast isn't worth it. Facilities were clean

• 30th Sep 2013

You sleep in a Hotel, you pay like a Hostel. so good! one of the best hostel I´ve been in my life so far. quiet, super good bed, safe, very well located. very very good

Really poor service from ?the manager. He was very abrupt almost rude, and offered no information about the city. On arrival there was linen and rubbish in all the hallways. In the room there was rubbish from the previous occupants in the room and bathroom. There was absolutely no atmosphere whatsoever.

Excellent hostel, and I have stayed in heaps in Europe! Great atmosphere, really relaxed, everything's so clean - rooms are maintained everyday! Showers and bathrooms are amazing! So close to heaps of amazing museums, and the trams and buses! Good eats to find in walking distance. Really impressed with this hostel! And the staff are really helpful and friendly too :) Oh and breakfast is great, for only 5 euros I'm full until 1-2!!

• 29th Sep 2013
  • New Zealand

So far, the best hostel that I've been.i

Overall this was a great hostel. Especially for Amsterdam, it is considered very clean. Location is great if you don't mind the far walk from the train station but you are close to a grocery store, van ghoh museum, anne franks house, and the joordan district. My only complaint would be about the bike rental. I had a flat and another member of our groups breaks didn't work. Other then that, wonderful place to stay. Little expensive during summer season, but come fall prices - perfect!

I would recommend this hostel!!!

Nice place. Friendly staff. Good breakfast. A walking distance from the tram station.

• 23rd Sep 2013
  • Israel

The beds were comfortable and set up is well thought out. For the money, it was a good value and given my experiences in other countries it was a pleasant surprise. Different members of the staff actually lied to or misled me twice on simple things like my reservation and the tram route. They could just tell me they don't know or refer me to a manager of some sort. Honestly, Airbnb is not that much more expensive and I might chose that in the future because there's more accountability.