Hostel Van Gogh Reviews

Van de Veldestraat 5, Amsterdam, Netherlands

It was pretty much impossible to walk through the dorm room door with a bag without banging into the first bed. The beds are way to close together to. On my last night I actually rolled over on my pillow and rolled onto the guys arm from the bed next to me. Maybe consider guests comfort rather than how many beds can be squeezed into a tiny room. Also they had safes in each room, which is a great idea,but they have the loudest bleeping keypad,not ideal late at night or first thing in morning

• 13th Nov 2013
  • New Zealand

The hotel was in a good location,the staff...not the greatest. The beds are very comfortable, that's a good thing.

Despite having staff members try twice to make my assigned safe function properly, it didn't work the entire duration of my stay. One (female) member of the staff was very friendly, but the rest were lacking. One night, the staff assigned 10 people to an 8 bed room, causing a great deal of noise and disruption at 8am. One man was smoking in the room, a violation of stated non-smoking policy, and yet after multiple complaints to the desk staff, he was only briefly removed from the room. Dislike.

The hotel was fantastic for our requirements and we could not have aske for more. It was clean friendly and the location was outstanding. I have one major complaint. I would like to no why my final invoice clearly stated that the balance to be paid on arrival would be €512.64 yet I was charged € 615.33. I don't think this is acceptable and would like to no why. Tom McQuade, Glasgow

• 5th Nov 2013

I know my review seems as though it is very complimentary however, for the price we paid and the fact we were staying in a hostel, myself and the 4 other boys i was with felt the facilities and the comfort of the rooms was excellent. It wasn't exactly right in the middle of Amsterdam however we knew this prior to booking so it wasnt an issue. Also, on the last the girls at reception printed our boarding passes off free of charge, so thanks very much to them. I would recommend Van Gogh to anyone.

• 5th Nov 2013
  • Scotland

Such a well located hostel, great staff, very nice rooms. Excellent breakfast. Highly recommend it.

Nice place to spend a couple of nights. The location is in a peaceful area and close to the main attraction

• 1st Nov 2013

Super good hostel

Really nice quality hostel! I felt like it was almost a hotel, best showers I've ever seen at a hostel.

• 30th Oct 2013

Really nice place, very handy for the mainmuseums and the tram. The place is as good as a hotel - we would stay again

The only reason that I chose "average" for security was the fact that you did not need any sort of key or ID to enter the hostel so potentially, people who are not staying there can freely use the building That being said, the rooms were secure with safes. The hostel was in a great location for the museums and it is possible to walk into the center, or it is very easy to catch a tram right outside of the hostel. Room and bathroom were clean as well.

• 29th Oct 2013

was really good my traveled to amsterdam the hostel is amazing i recommend to everyone thankss

Very good facilities, great bathrooms. Rude and unhelpful staff. It is a shame because otherwise it would be a great hostel. They gave vague answers, made me feel as if having to answer questions was a huge inconvenience and were simply rude at times. Little info about immediate area e.g. where the closest internet café would be. It is a shame because otherwise it would be a great place to stay.

Loved the hotel!

• 24th Oct 2013

The standard of the rooms

• 23rd Oct 2013
  • New Zealand

Great location and facilities. Staff were a bit unhelpful and the place didn't have a great atmosphere.

The only people in the common area were middle aged groups and groups with little kids so it didnt have the typical youth hostel feel. And the staff didnt feel very inviting. Apart from those points it was excellent. Clean room, safes in the room, free bag storage, breakfast for pretty cheap. I would definitely recommend it.

Really good place to stay. Clean and safe. Location was good with tram stops and bus stops just around the corner.

It is a very nice place. Good location. Very organized. I recommend it!

Nice hostel. Staff were ruuuude.