Hostel Van Gogh Reviews

7th street, 150 mts North from Parque Morazan, Barrio Amon, San Jose Downtown, San Jose, Costa Rica

I love this hostel! The owner was extremely helpful giving me advice on where things were and how to get around the city. I heard him answering the same questions for many travelers but always with a smile. You can tell he loves the hostel, his city, country and just helping fellow travelers. Some nights the hostel was full and sometimes it was quiet. The best of both worlds. I initially booked one night but extended for two more because I liked it so much.

Thank you very much! I really enjoy help travelers and backpackers like you and me! Thank you for everything!! This is your house and you and everybody are welcome always!!

A pretty quiet place, with only about 20-24 beds, though the place is huge! I stayed there for only one night, and found the owner (David?) to be incredibly helpful, full of advice. I don't like the idea of not having my own locker, though he has his reasons, and I still found that my stuff was quite safe with the current arrangements.

Pros: Location - Close to the bus stop and some nice restaurants. Staff: Were friendly Cons: Internet - Does not work, resorted to using the restaurant below. Lockers: No personal lockers to store your valuables Rooms: Very small and cramped, no room to put you bags, some people had to leave them outside the room. Beds: The beds were uncomfortable and sheets had a number if stains. Also no top sheet was provided, only blanket.

Stay where you feel good, no problem for us, 90% of everything that you wrote is not true, but this is kind of comments are normal when we say no for some abuses of this people

Great owner/staff. Thanks David and Beto for your great advice and help with what I needed. Beautiful building in San Jose, convenient location to park, main shopping street and bus stations. Breakfast okay.

David, Thank you kindly for your hospitality. It was a pleasure meeting you and I enjoyed my time at your establishment. The next time I pass by San Jose I'll be sure to reserve a space with you. My best, Eric

• 10th Jul 2015

I loved this hostel - the staff are some of the friendliest in Central America. I chose it because it is very well located right next to the main parks and bus stations. They let me make my own breakfast early on the day I left before 8am for a flight. They have a safe box behind the desk where you can leave valuables under their care. They also have a pet hedgehog!

Excellent service and super friendly and knowledgable staff. Wi-Fi poor and brekkie mas o menos.

I had one of the most pleasant hostel stays at this place! The hostel was very well kept and has that "homey" feel to it. The check in staff were absolutely wonderful and special thanks to David who has immense knowledge of the neighborhood and country! Breakfast was decent enough and everything worked fine. The location is excellent and most "sites" are within walking distance! I would highly recommend hostel Van Gogh!

In past 19 years I've spent 600 nights in hostels, & seen what works, what's successful. What's missing at VanGogh? Personal Lockers (with outlets inside), reading lamps, a toaster, a water kettle. Showers work well (tho smell of sewer gas), but there are no hooks for your clothes (and since there are no lockers, you end up taking a shower while holding your valuables in one hand). I devised a way of putting my passport/wallet/$ in a baggie and jamming it in the shower door as I closed it.

Very clean and really nice, bathrooms more like what you would expect from a hotel! However, wifi wasn't great and atmosphere very quiet whilst we were there. But would stay again!