Hostel Van Gogh Reviews

7th street, 150 mts North from Parque Morazan, Barrio Amon, San Jose Downtown, San Jose, Costa Rica

Stayed there and loved it! Very good atmosphere and had a very good mattress, totally clean everywhere. David the owner is very helpful and one of the nicest persons i met so far travelling. I would definitely recommend it to a friend! Only exception: it's not a party hostel!

• 20th Jan 2015

The hostel Van Gogh was amazing and also the owner David was really helpful! Great location, good bed, nice and clean facilities! If I will have opportunity to come back to San Jose I will definitely stay at this hostel!

• 28th Dec 2014
  • Slovakia

Though others could let people in, the owner was pretty much always there, so relatively secure. The latest check-in is 10PM (though he can be a bit flexible); however, it means no late nights. Location is relatively close to the pedestrian areas and the museums. Atmosphere is lacking; the owner is nice, but it doesn't feel like a hostel to meet new people (more a place to sleep). Mostly clean throughout. Value for the money is average. Beds are a hit or miss and internet is poor at best.

Very nice Hostel. Safe, clean and quiet. Good spot to see San Jose for a couple days. Thank you David!

Showers are amazing ! Nice back patio too

• 22nd Nov 2014

An excellent place to start your trip in Costa Rica. The owner David is very friendly and knows everything about traveling in CR and what to do and the best places there. He takes good care of his guests.

This is a gem of a hostel. The hostel is very comfortable and everything is clean. David is a super nice guy and was extremely helpful recommending sites to check out during my stay. I will definitely stay here again if I come back to San Jose.

I loved my stay here!! David who owns the hostel goes the extra mile to help with everything from organising tours to cooking you breakfast. I could have stayed here longer. Loved it!!!!

Good attendance, good breakfast and it was quiet. We had a good night!

• 24th Sep 2014

Great location, close to everything, I walked for food/bus stations without ever taking a taxi. Vibe is super quiet, great place to be if you're not in to the party hostel scene. Staff was helpful though not as much as previous reviews indicated. Would stay here again when I need a quiet, affordable nights sleep.

• 20th Sep 2014

Good beds and dorms, a calm atmosphere, very good to the ones who are passing by the city. The old house where it is located is very charming. Kitchen was sometimes a little dirty, but nothing that made me feel bad.

The owner David knows everything about Costa Rica and he is very helpful. He answers your question with all the details and try to give you all the available info he has. Really appreciated. Location is very good, clean neighbourhood, quiet. Not a party hostel, instead, you can meet so many awesome and cool people here. Hot shower. Nice breakfast. I had a great time here. Would recommend to all the backpackers.

Hostel Van Gogh is a very nice place to stay! It is very clean, safe and quite! The good thing is that it is not a party hostel. The bed I slept was really comfortable and the house is cosy. The owner David has a lot of knowledge about San Jose and of Costa Rica in general as well. He gives useful travel advise and he is very friendly. The hostel is also very convinient located and I met also very nice people to talk with! If I return to San Jose I'll stay there again because I had a good time!!

we are very happy that everything was Good!! thank you and remember this is your house, you are welcome always!!!

Great place -- safe and convenient location, and David is very helpful. Facilities are in pretty good shape, beds are fine and the showers are hot. Not many rooms so don't expect to see a ton of people, but the layout promotes running into everyone so I met a few folks when I was there.

David the owner is the best!! He is so helpful and nice! Its a great place to stay in the City!!

Breakfast not before 8 o'clock.