Hostel Van Gogh Reviews

7th street, 150 mts North from Parque Morazan, Barrio Amon, San Jose Downtown, San Jose, Costa Rica

A pretty quiet place, with only about 20-24 beds, though the place is huge! I stayed there for only one night, and found the owner (David?) to be incredibly helpful, full of advice. I don't like the idea of not having my own locker, though he has his reasons, and I still found that my stuff was quite safe with the current arrangements.

Pros: Location - Close to the bus stop and some nice restaurants. Staff: Were friendly Cons: Internet - Does not work, resorted to using the restaurant below. Lockers: No personal lockers to store your valuables Rooms: Very small and cramped, no room to put you bags, some people had to leave them outside the room. Beds: The beds were uncomfortable and sheets had a number if stains. Also no top sheet was provided, only blanket.

Stay where you feel good, no problem for us, 90% of everything that you wrote is not true, but this is kind of comments are normal when we say no for some abuses of this people

Great owner/staff. Thanks David and Beto for your great advice and help with what I needed. Beautiful building in San Jose, convenient location to park, main shopping street and bus stations. Breakfast okay.

David, Thank you kindly for your hospitality. It was a pleasure meeting you and I enjoyed my time at your establishment. The next time I pass by San Jose I'll be sure to reserve a space with you. My best, Eric

• 10th Jul 2015

I loved this hostel - the staff are some of the friendliest in Central America. I chose it because it is very well located right next to the main parks and bus stations. They let me make my own breakfast early on the day I left before 8am for a flight. They have a safe box behind the desk where you can leave valuables under their care. They also have a pet hedgehog!

Excellent service and super friendly and knowledgable staff. Wi-Fi poor and brekkie mas o menos.

I had one of the most pleasant hostel stays at this place! The hostel was very well kept and has that "homey" feel to it. The check in staff were absolutely wonderful and special thanks to David who has immense knowledge of the neighborhood and country! Breakfast was decent enough and everything worked fine. The location is excellent and most "sites" are within walking distance! I would highly recommend hostel Van Gogh!

In past 19 years I've spent 600 nights in hostels, & seen what works, what's successful. What's missing at VanGogh? Personal Lockers (with outlets inside), reading lamps, a toaster, a water kettle. Showers work well (tho smell of sewer gas), but there are no hooks for your clothes (and since there are no lockers, you end up taking a shower while holding your valuables in one hand). I devised a way of putting my passport/wallet/$ in a baggie and jamming it in the shower door as I closed it.

Very clean and really nice, bathrooms more like what you would expect from a hotel! However, wifi wasn't great and atmosphere very quiet whilst we were there. But would stay again!

Location was the best part for me, and one of the owners was very helpful in orienting me in a new country and around the city :-)

• 31st May 2015

Not a lot going on at Van Gogh. Staff are not the most helpful. But facilities and location are good. Worth a night if you want to be central and get a good sleep

Great place and great locación! Clean place with a helpfull staff.would totally go back.

Only stayed here one night so can't comment too much. Staff were friendly and very secure hostel. There is a 12am curfew so be aware of that. Also I only saw one bathroom for the whole place, wasn't an issue because it was empty when I was there.

Thanks, just to let you know, we have a lot of bathrooms for men and ladies separate, not only one. We do not have curfew weekends just from Monday to Thursday, besides that thank you for your comments

Great nights sleep, crisp clean sheets, fresh towels amazing breakfast!! Betu looked after us so well, with great information and made us an amazing breakfast, he was so so helpful, a truly wonderful host! This was our second time staying, and if I'm back in San Jose I'll stay there again!! Thank you!!!!

Pedro was very friendly and helpful...Good location...And a nice place to chill out...

Great stay!

The hostel has a good location in the center of San Jose. The staff is nice and the guy at reception gave me good directions on how to get to the bus terminal that I needed to go to. A general information: If you just plan a stopover in San Jose and you come in from the Airport it's a lot cheaper to stay in a hostel in Alaljuela (town next to the airport) as the taxi to the center of San Jose costs you 30-40$ (around 18'000 Colones).

The location is better than mentioned under directions. You can easily get to the city Center in 5mins by walking. Also the airport can be reached by public transport for $1. Bus terminals are all about $4 taxi ride away. Clean beds, showers. Excellent breakfast, nice staff. Only downturn is spotty wifi. Other than that highly recommended!

Great place to stay in a cool building with an inside 2nd floor courtyard. Great location, good staff, Wifi was a bit spotty.

Great place, we enjoyed talk with David, and he was so helpful with us, it was nice staying in a place like this. People were nice and the enviroment excellent, we had lucky to have some events in the park near to the hostal so, the area where the place is located was really good.