Hostel Van Gogh Reviews

7th street, 150 mts North from Parque Morazan, Barrio Amon, San Jose Downtown, San Jose, Costa Rica

I loved my stay here!! David who owns the hostel goes the extra mile to help with everything from organising tours to cooking you breakfast. I could have stayed here longer. Loved it!!!!

Great location, close to everything, I walked for food/bus stations without ever taking a taxi. Vibe is super quiet, great place to be if you're not in to the party hostel scene. Staff was helpful though not as much as previous reviews indicated. Would stay here again when I need a quiet, affordable nights sleep.

• 20th Sep 2014

Good beds and dorms, a calm atmosphere, very good to the ones who are passing by the city. The old house where it is located is very charming. Kitchen was sometimes a little dirty, but nothing that made me feel bad.

The owner David knows everything about Costa Rica and he is very helpful. He answers your question with all the details and try to give you all the available info he has. Really appreciated. Location is very good, clean neighbourhood, quiet. Not a party hostel, instead, you can meet so many awesome and cool people here. Hot shower. Nice breakfast. I had a great time here. Would recommend to all the backpackers.

Hostel Van Gogh is a very nice place to stay! It is very clean, safe and quite! The good thing is that it is not a party hostel. The bed I slept was really comfortable and the house is cosy. The owner David has a lot of knowledge about San Jose and of Costa Rica in general as well. He gives useful travel advise and he is very friendly. The hostel is also very convinient located and I met also very nice people to talk with! If I return to San Jose I'll stay there again because I had a good time!!

we are very happy that everything was Good!! thank you and remember this is your house, you are welcome always!!!

Great place -- safe and convenient location, and David is very helpful. Facilities are in pretty good shape, beds are fine and the showers are hot. Not many rooms so don't expect to see a ton of people, but the layout promotes running into everyone so I met a few folks when I was there.

David the owner is the best!! He is so helpful and nice! Its a great place to stay in the City!!

Breakfast not before 8 o'clock.

It was a great stay and David was an amazing person to tell us about Costa Rica!

We went there to have something calm and safe in the center of the city. It was safe, but the way the hostel is with the dorms you can't have a quiet night until everyone in the hostel is asleep because there is no full walls. We had great advices from the owner before preparing anything in San Jose, that is mostly why you want to go there.

• 4th Jul 2014

The entrance to the hostel was not very well marked. there was a sign hanging on the second floor but no marking on the door and only a small white bell, and we had to wait outside in the rain because the attendant didn't respond. The hostel seemed clean at first, but the rooms were open to the outside in the back and there were large cockroaches in the women's bathroom on two occasions. The walls in bedroom were somewhat unfinished and no A/C.

• 2nd Jul 2014

we are sorry for you but we saw the cockroaches getting out from your backpack, first time that we saw this disgusting things in a backpack of our customer, we don't know where you been before!! if you are looking for a A/C pay more in a Hotel.

Very helpful staff. Loved that the towels were included. Clean showers with hot water. Nice "living room" area! Could use more outlets in the dorms to charge phones/computers.

Very nice, clean hostel with generous staff.

I have nothing bad at all to say about this place other than it's in San Jose and I would only stay in the city as long as you absolutely need to. Great hostel

Nice and clean, good value for money. Kitchen could be better equipped, eg sharp knives. Super helpful and service minded staff but do mind the curfew between midnight-8 am, if you plan on going out in San Jose, do not stay here.

Very nice facilities for a hostel, helpful staff, they even make breakfast for you!

Had a great stay at Van Gogh! The rooms were peaceful and dark, the patio was bright and welcoming, the location was right next to an awesome park that does free activities on the weekends. We enjoyed our stay and would stay there again when in San Jose!

• 23rd May 2014

David is a great guy, very welcoming and helpful. Could have done with lockers in each room but other than that I've no complaints. Would definitely stay there again.

For San Jose, not a bad hostel. Somewhat of a small facility with around 20 beds in 3 rooms. Free wi-fi and free breakfast. Curfew is at 12am, so you have to be in by then, but with the area it's probably best anyway. The owner was friendly and helpful. Hot showers were nice, easy to meet other travelers. Definitely not a party hostel.

When i arrived i knew nothing of San Jose and i was hungry. I asked David the hostel owner where to go to eat and he told me of this fanastic place around the corner...since then i followed all his recommendations which made my stay easier. Wonderfully relaxed atmosphere there and a good breakfast with scrambled eggs. I loved it.

• 28th Apr 2014