Hostel Van Gogh Reviews

7th street, 150 mts North from Parque Morazan, Barrio Amon, San Jose Downtown, San Jose, Costa Rica

A great place to stay! The guy was helpful

This place is one of the best hostels I have ever stayed at. The owner takes guest comfort and safety very seriously, and is super helpful and flexible. I will be back the next time I fly in or out of San Jose. It also has the cheapest cab option from the airport, which really makes the hassle of getting there much easier. My only recommendation would be lockers for valuables.

• 9th Apr 2014

great staff! broke my arm and they were very helpfull and friendly!!!

I felt really comfortable here. The hostel was peaceful and David made you feel right at home. I would definitely stay again.

• 10th Mar 2014

The best hostel I've been to! You will get a very good service for a very good price in a cozy, clean and safe house. One of the best things about it are the hot showers and the breakfast. Enjoyed the calm and friendly atmosphere. Thanx for everything David and Katerina!

Oksana thank you!!!!! we really appreciate!! one of the most amazing customer that I ever had here!!!!!! please come back some day!! this is your second house!!

Enjoyed my stay here. Stylish colonial house and comfortable in an area very close to the centre. David who runs the hostal is so helpful. A decent breakfast is included.

Very clean and nice. Kitchen was good. There are now 2 bathrooms and 2 showers for women and one for men. Cant really say anything about the location but San Jose felt pretty small so there was no problem walking to the city center. The area felt safe. David is SO NICE and HELPFUL. He helped us to book a trip to Tortuguero and when the bus didnt arrive he got up at 6.45 to call them to see what was going on. Great place to stay!

Thanks you very much!! just to let you know!! we have 2 showers for ladies and 2 showers for guys!! but probably you didn't know because you never get inside of the guys bathroom or yes?

Van Gogh hostel was in a safe and well situated location. It's a small, yet clean and quaint hostel, with comfy beds and high pressured hot showers. David the owner of the hostel does everything possible to assist you with what he can, he was extremely helpful and really cares about all that step into his hostel. He has good recommendations within San Jose as well as the rest of Costa Rica. If I return to San Jose I will be sure to stop by Van Gogh.

This is your House!!! you are welcome Always!! Thanks!!

The receptionist was just okay, I asked for a map and she had none. I also asked for any recommendations and she gave a few, but nothing substantial. She then gave me a book on Costa Rica in spanish, which would be helpful if I read spanish. There is no AC, they give you a towel instead of sheets, and you have to ring the door every time you need to get into the hostel. Also they have free breakfast starting at 8, but they didn't have it ready when we were there. It's a good deal, but that's it.

We are sorry for you that you complain for very superficial things!!, because we have maps, but we didn't have 1000 for everyone, for that reason we have a big one on the wall!!!. She trying to help you with a map in one of our bookguides but for you wasn't enough!!!. we have sheets in our beds, even we have everything prepared on the beds!! if you want a a AC pay more and not complain, for the door you must to press the doorbell and we open the door intermediately always!!!

I really enjoyed my stay at this hostel. The owner, David, was extremely helpful and knowledgeable and helped me to plan my next moves as he has a travel/tourism-related degree, and he is very passionate about his country. The hostel was extremely clean and in a very nice building. There is a 12am (midnight) curfew, and I was appreciative of this as I was tired and everyone in my dorm went to bed quietly at 11am. But I guess if you are there to party you should go elsewhere. Great place.

Catherine thank you for your comments we really appreciate your positive comments!!

There are no locks on the door and there weren't any lockers available. However, the front door security was good. I slept on 2 mattresses which was very uncomfortable, because i slept in a ditch. The owner David was very friendly and enthusiastic. He makes the breakfast and tried to make his guests at home.

We really enjoyed our stay in this hostel, especially because of the great atmosphere and the staff. The owner is very friendly, has good advices and helps you where ever he can. The hostel is also situated around a view restaurants, shops and a ATM is very close.

On my trip I stayed here four times in total - arriving, passing through and leaving San Jose. The atmosphere and the inner courtyard are very nice, everything is renovated and clean. But most of all: Of all the many hostels I stayed in so far this one definetely was the most welcoming place I've ever been to thanks to David and Katerina, who made it feel like a second home to me. One tiny minus point though: Breakfast at 8 a.m. just means David starts to prepare it at 8-ish ;-)

The only negative about this hostel is that there is only one bathroom for each gender. Everything else was excellent. It´s an ideal place for a quiet night in San Jose as it´s not a party hostel and it´s located in a nice barrio of the city. However, it´s only a short walk from the downtown area so its location is great. The interior of the hostel is quite elegant and the owner is very helpful and informative. The courtyard at the back is spacious and there´s a kitchen for guest use. Recommended.

Hello Now, we inaugurated the new mens bathrooms, for that reason we dont any anymore one bathroom for each gender! thanks! :)

Since I only stayed for one night I can't say much about it really. But I got what I expected and needed and I was happy with my choice.

This hostel is awesome. I booked one night but ended up staying three weeks in total, just didnt want to leave anymore. You really feel like home here: super comfortable beds, hot showers, very helpful staff, perfectly clean and in central but safe area. You even get breakfast prepared for you every morning. I loved the atmosphere here also because other guests are mostly really cool persons (no party animals or drunk people), so you get to make nice friendships. Really recommended!

I spent six days at the Hostel Van Gogh and they were wonderful. There is a curfew, which means the atmosphere is quiet and respectful and very well maintained. The staff was extremely knowledgable and helpful, they even made us scrambled eggs every morning. They were delicious! David, the owner, even took us out on a walking tour one day and showed us some of the sights in San Jose. I would definitely stay there again and highly recommend it to other travellers.

Thank you very much!! :)

We were amazed at this hostel! It was perfectly safe and tucked away on a nice side street in san Jose. It was within walking distance to a pretty park and fantastic grocery store. David, the manager, was helpful, knowledgeable and super friendly. The open air common area was awesome and clean. Breakfast was excellent and cooked to our time and dietary specifications. Thanks Hostel VanGogh!

• 10th Jan 2014

thank you very much for your comments, we are pleased that you went very well, our main goal is to make our customers happy and satisfied, thanks!

I'm very glad I picked Van Gogh, I would definitely recommend it. The only thing I didn't know before is that there is a curfew- you have to be back in the hostel by midnight.

I had a very nice short stay in that hostel after arriving in Costa Rica. The staff was very helpful with every kind of question I had (airport shuttle, recommendations for things to do in San José, further trip planning etc.), the location is safe and pretty close to the central attractions of the town and I met very friendly and interesting other travelers there. Very nice! If you are looking for a party hostel I would recommend going somewhere else but for my needs it was just perfect.