Hostel Van Gogh Reviews

7th street, 150 mts North from Parque Morazan, Barrio Amon, San Jose Downtown, San Jose, Costa Rica

Only stayed here one night so can't comment too much. Staff were friendly and very secure hostel. There is a 12am curfew so be aware of that. Also I only saw one bathroom for the whole place, wasn't an issue because it was empty when I was there.

Thanks, just to let you know, we have a lot of bathrooms for men and ladies separate, not only one. We do not have curfew weekends just from Monday to Thursday, besides that thank you for your comments

Great nights sleep, crisp clean sheets, fresh towels amazing breakfast!! Betu looked after us so well, with great information and made us an amazing breakfast, he was so so helpful, a truly wonderful host! This was our second time staying, and if I'm back in San Jose I'll stay there again!! Thank you!!!!

Pedro was very friendly and helpful...Good location...And a nice place to chill out...

Great stay!

The hostel has a good location in the center of San Jose. The staff is nice and the guy at reception gave me good directions on how to get to the bus terminal that I needed to go to. A general information: If you just plan a stopover in San Jose and you come in from the Airport it's a lot cheaper to stay in a hostel in Alaljuela (town next to the airport) as the taxi to the center of San Jose costs you 30-40$ (around 18'000 Colones).

The location is better than mentioned under directions. You can easily get to the city Center in 5mins by walking. Also the airport can be reached by public transport for $1. Bus terminals are all about $4 taxi ride away. Clean beds, showers. Excellent breakfast, nice staff. Only downturn is spotty wifi. Other than that highly recommended!

Great place to stay in a cool building with an inside 2nd floor courtyard. Great location, good staff, Wifi was a bit spotty.

Great place, we enjoyed talk with David, and he was so helpful with us, it was nice staying in a place like this. People were nice and the enviroment excellent, we had lucky to have some events in the park near to the hostal so, the area where the place is located was really good.

This was a lovely hostel really conveniently placed in San Jose. David was an absolute star, full of great advice, especially as to how to see and get around the city cheaply - a must on a student budget! The courtyard is a nice place to kick back and could only be improved with more (and comfier) chairs and tables. No individual lockers in the rooms, but plenty of space in the communal locked cupboard - felt all my valuables were safe. Would definitely stay here again.

• 9th Mar 2015

Thank you very much for your comments, for us are very important to improve our hostel and keep working better and better for all our dear customers

Hostel Van Gogh is the perfect place to stay for a stop over in San Jose. The 6 bed dorm was spacious, but the 8 bed dorm was a little more cramped. The kitchen was well stocked and the breakfast was good. There are no lockers in the rooms but there is an area where you can lock your bags up. The location meant you could easily walk to downtown San Jose and the bus stations. The wifi dropped in and out and only works in the corridor.

The Hostel is really nice. I Would highly recommend the place. The owner is a really nice guy, one of the best Hosts I had during my jurney. He was honest and very helpful. The location is really good aswell. One of the nicest hostels I've stayed at.

Thank you very much! Im glad that you had a nice time with us, you are welcome always here this is your house!

David the owner is a great host, and creates a tranquil haven for all travellers in the centre of San Jose. The hostel is in an upper class neighbourhood, less than 5 mins walk to the centre and about 15 mins to most of the terminals.

• 24th Feb 2015
  • Czech Republic

It's allright for a night. Clean and tidy.

Great place! Central! David, the owner is a great helpful guy.

Only came for one night. Quiet hostel if you are looking for a good night sleep. David is very knowledgeable and helpful when it comes to Costa Rica and breakfast is included. The neighborhood was a little sketchy at night time [prostitutes on every corner} and it only seemed like a couple other people were staying there so we had our dorm to ourselves, thus not a social atmosphere.

The owner (David) is so extremely accommodating and helpful!!! This place was quiet, safe, and clean!! I would stay again for sure!!!!!

Thank you very much!!

The location is good, and the stuffs are quite nice. They are veryhelpful. I will come back again.

Very nice hostel ideally located near the town centre. One of the best place we stayed in Costa Rica so far

• 27th Jan 2015

A very nice, clean, and quiet hostel. The location is great, only a few minutes walking from the Avenida Central, about 1 km from the bus terminals, and in a nice neighborhood with cafés, restaurants, and some design shops. The common area with open-air kitchen is beautiful and full of daylight.

Stayed there and loved it! Very good atmosphere and had a very good mattress, totally clean everywhere. David the owner is very helpful and one of the nicest persons i met so far travelling. I would definitely recommend it to a friend! Only exception: it's not a party hostel!

• 20th Jan 2015