Hostel Van Gogh Reviews

7th street, 150 mts North from Parque Morazan, Barrio Amon, San Jose Downtown, San Jose, Costa Rica

The Hostel is really nice. I Would highly recommend the place. The owner is a really nice guy, one of the best Hosts I had during my jurney. He was honest and very helpful. The location is really good aswell. One of the nicest hostels I've stayed at.

Thank you very much! Im glad that you had a nice time with us, you are welcome always here this is your house!

David the owner is a great host, and creates a tranquil haven for all travellers in the centre of San Jose. The hostel is in an upper class neighbourhood, less than 5 mins walk to the centre and about 15 mins to most of the terminals.

• 24th Feb 2015
  • Czech Republic

It's allright for a night. Clean and tidy.

Great place! Central! David, the owner is a great helpful guy.

• 20th Feb 2015

Only came for one night. Quiet hostel if you are looking for a good night sleep. David is very knowledgeable and helpful when it comes to Costa Rica and breakfast is included. The neighborhood was a little sketchy at night time [prostitutes on every corner} and it only seemed like a couple other people were staying there so we had our dorm to ourselves, thus not a social atmosphere.

The owner (David) is so extremely accommodating and helpful!!! This place was quiet, safe, and clean!! I would stay again for sure!!!!!

Thank you very much!!

The location is good, and the stuffs are quite nice. They are veryhelpful. I will come back again.

Very nice hostel ideally located near the town centre. One of the best place we stayed in Costa Rica so far

• 27th Jan 2015

A very nice, clean, and quiet hostel. The location is great, only a few minutes walking from the Avenida Central, about 1 km from the bus terminals, and in a nice neighborhood with cafés, restaurants, and some design shops. The common area with open-air kitchen is beautiful and full of daylight.

Stayed there and loved it! Very good atmosphere and had a very good mattress, totally clean everywhere. David the owner is very helpful and one of the nicest persons i met so far travelling. I would definitely recommend it to a friend! Only exception: it's not a party hostel!

• 20th Jan 2015

It is true the staff and the owner are very professional and available. However, despite reminders some people continue to make noises until late. The premises and facilities are clean. Some dorms don't have windows on the outside. And the light of the corridors light the dorms up. And the wall are thin. Anyway for a transit, it is a good pick.

David at the front desk was a great host and always willing to help with suggestions on what to see in San Jose (plus he makes a great breakfast!). Overall had a cozy-staying-at-your-friends-house vibe, which is nice. The hot shower was icing on the cake, especially at the end of a 2-week backpacking trip!

The hostel Van Gogh was amazing and also the owner David was really helpful! Great location, good bed, nice and clean facilities! If I will have opportunity to come back to San Jose I will definitely stay at this hostel!

• 28th Dec 2014
  • Slovakia

Though others could let people in, the owner was pretty much always there, so relatively secure. The latest check-in is 10PM (though he can be a bit flexible); however, it means no late nights. Location is relatively close to the pedestrian areas and the museums. Atmosphere is lacking; the owner is nice, but it doesn't feel like a hostel to meet new people (more a place to sleep). Mostly clean throughout. Value for the money is average. Beds are a hit or miss and internet is poor at best.

Very nice Hostel. Safe, clean and quiet. Good spot to see San Jose for a couple days. Thank you David!

Stayed there befor my trip through central ameria started. It is a good hostel or a short stay, good location near supermarket and citycenter. Nice staff, really helpful even gave me a map to find myself through san Jose! room was nice and clean had everything I wished for!

Showers are amazing ! Nice back patio too

• 22nd Nov 2014

An excellent place to start your trip in Costa Rica. The owner David is very friendly and knows everything about traveling in CR and what to do and the best places there. He takes good care of his guests.

This is a gem of a hostel. The hostel is very comfortable and everything is clean. David is a super nice guy and was extremely helpful recommending sites to check out during my stay. I will definitely stay here again if I come back to San Jose.

I loved my stay here!! David who owns the hostel goes the extra mile to help with everything from organising tours to cooking you breakfast. I could have stayed here longer. Loved it!!!!