Hostel de Mafkees Reviews

Vijverhofstraat 47, Rotterdam, Netherlands

Worst hostel I ever saw. Some of the features: - I couldn't get a locker on the first night, because most of them were broken - The shower room for the whole building was directly connected to my room, so expect the door to be smashed all night (it actually can't be closed quietly) - Looks more like a field camp than a hostel - Beds are covered with some kind of 80s rubber kind of thing which is super squeaky every time you move

Cheap but quite poor. Doesn't look like a hostel. The huge dorm looks like a gymnasium. Linen NOT included and you have to pay 5€ for it if you don't have a sleeping bag. Breakfast is poor but for the price OK. No security (everyone can enter the hostel and the dorm) but free lockers. WiFi not working, and the few times it does, is completely censored. Don't expect to be able to use it. The common area is OK with free board games.

They ask 5 euros for the bed linen, too much. Breakfast is very poor. Dorms are similar to a large garage with beds in place of cars. No way to charge your phone.

We only stayed here because it was the cheapest next step to Amsterdam. We don't expect much from a hostel as long as there are toilets, showers, electrical plugs and we can sleep, we're happy to pay €10-€15. For the 4 nights we were there I didn't sleep once. People came in and out of the dorms at 5 am. There were only a handful of electrical outlets in the whole hostel and the staff seemed vaguely annoyed/tired the entire time. If want to party? Good place. If you want to sleep? Not so much.

you can provide pillows included.. at least the pillow

• 2nd Aug 2015

It was a very nice stay. The rooms were very large and you had lots of tables and things you could do in the hostel. They have a ping-pong table, table soccer and billiards. You could walk to the city centre from the hostel. The showers weren't seperated and sometimes you didn't have warm water. To go to the toilets you have to go cross the whole room. So that's little inconvenient. Sadly, we had very bad wheather. But the staff was very nice and helped us out with all kinds of questions.

Breakfast wasn't good and we didn't feel safe, but it was cheap and ok for few nights.

We were a group of six people and we enjoyed our one day stay at Rotterdam (Netherlands). But the internet wifi facility was not at all good and the dorms lacked appropriate number of plug points where we could put our laptop or phone for charging. Rest, it was perfect value for money.

• 25th Jul 2015
  • India

It is in a good position to walk into the center of the city. However 3 of the showers were out of order. For a room with 48 people in it, it would be nice if there was a window open or fresh air somewhere. It would also have been nice if the floor to ceiling windows were covered by more than a poster. The outside world can look in! The breakfast has to have been worst I have ever seen. 2 loafs of bread some pots of jam, a coffee flask and tea flask and powdered milk?!? They spent maximum 10€

• 24th Jul 2015
  • Scotland

No locks for the rooms, cold showers in the early morning, take great care if you are given the EXACT bed you're supposed to have or you'll have to search for your stuff once you'll be back from visiting. It's notnot always explained but you have to pays more for cover and bed stuff... And sometimes they will forget to put the tea bag in the tea for the morning. And no milk, of course

Average hostel. Located 10 min. walking distance from central station. Nice calm area, mall with 2 supermarkets in 5 min. walking distance. don't need public transport if you stay in that hostel, you can reach the city center walking (maybe 15 min.). Basic kitchen equipment. Bathrooms and showers ok. staff ok. Nice chill area, a bit dirty. Wifi didn't work properly. Only real minus was the dorm: No AC, hot (summer), noisy, uncomfortable. I travelled alone, met people here, relaxed atmosphere.

I brought my own sheets but no blanket or pillow. They still charged me full price to rent these items even though it saved them washing. The next day a girl informed me they just gave them to her for free. They charge a ridiculous deposit for EVERYTHING, bikes, lockers, etc so make sure you have plenty of cash. The shower is freezing. The emergency exit lights make the room like daytime at night. The beds make so much noise and are uncomfortable. Worst hostel I have stayed at in 2 months.

Very reasonable price - especially during weekends in Holland. Staff was super friendly and helpful. Close proximity (5-10 mins walk) to Rotterdam Centraal station. All lockers were either occupied or broken. 48 beds in one room was... Interesting... Breakfast was mediocre at best. Overall, I had a good experience at hostel De Mafkees.

First time in a so big dorm (48 beds), I did not sleep very well, a lot of noise, light. The shower and washroom were not very convenient.

A good hostel in a decent location with friendly staff. Would recommend.

• Scotland

With the help of the staff from this hostel my holidays have been saved!! Thank you very much for the help and the help you me!

• Spain

The hostel is horrible, terrible atmosphere, sleeping with 60 people is a consequence of terrible and noisy night, you have to share the shower with both man and woman, wicg you dont feel secure. It is a complete dirt place as well as the breakfast. I would never return and the money doesnt fit with the time of place, eventhough it is cheap. I dont recommend to anyone!

This was likely the worst hostel I have ever seen. They charged 5 euros for linen which was like tissue paper. The bed itself was not at all comfortable. They also made everyone wear wristbands instead of just giving everybody a key. The building itself felt like an abandoned office building because it clearly was. There were very few power points anywhere in the place and the wi-fi was rubbish. The staff were also rude. The only good thing I can say about it is that it was entirely filthy.

• 10th Jul 2015

We stayed for two nights and it was pretty good. Really close to the train station and the kitchen and bathroom facilities were quite good. Staying in a 24 person room I expected it to be loud and hard to sleep but it was surprisingly quiet except for the squeaky mattresses! All in all a good hostel for a quick stopover.

This place is nothing special and felt a bit like summer camp, but you can't beat the price. If you're not looking for luxury and you are on a budget, try it out!

« first « Prev 1 2 3