Hostel on 3rd Reviews

542 3rd Avenue, San Diego, USA

Pros: Excellent location just a few mins walk from the gaslamp district where lots of bars/restaurants are located. Cheapest hostel in San Diego. Big kitchen, free breakfast with cereal pancakes & coffee. Lockers available to store away valuables outside of rooms. Staff are very helpful, despite giving off a weird vibe at times. Cons: Can get stiflingly hot in some of the rooms. Seriously need to invest in some air con units! Fans provided don't do much to cool rooms down.

Hostel on 3rd is the best hostel in San Diego. Just a block from the best downtown grocery store, the Gaslamp district, and two blocks to Horton Plaza shopping mall. The owners take a hands-on approach to management so everything is always clean and you'll never run out of things like towels, soap, etc. The pancake breakfast is great and plenty of good coffee! Best of all are the friendly people you'll meet from all over the world.

This could be a great hostel. The location is perfect but it is badly let down by a couple of members of staff. Chris in particular is very rude and seems to have contempt for the guests. One girl slammed a door on us when we were outside. Also, there are no activities/tours/nights out run by the hostel. They're happy to take your money and then leave you to it There are much better hostels in downtown San Diego.

The location is really good if you are looking for the nightlife of San Diego... also really easy to get from/to airport. Pros - Location - Price Cons - The bed is really really noise. Any movement you can wake up the other guests if you care about it; - to access the building you do not pass the reception and only requires a access code, feels a little unsafe; - No big lockers for you stuff. There is a small one outside the room but does not even fit a tablet if you need;

• 3rd Jul 2015

Great located hostel. Free breakfast and internet. Huge common area. Good option for sleeping in san diego.

cant complain because so cheap! staff were great!really nice pocation felt really safe! rooms were so cramped but its so cheap so 2 or 3 nights probably enough here. staff were great!

The location is really good. The staffs are nice too.

Booked to stay here for three nights but ended up rating a week. When we added more dates to our stay they were very accommodating and sorted the rooms so we didn't have to keep moving. The owner and another gentleman were really friendly and were aways making sure everything was ok for us. They were very helpful. Great value for money compared to a lot of other hostels in the area. The kitchen needs to be a little bigger as there is only one cooker, but this wasn't much of a problem.

Great staff, very friendly and happy to help out however they can :) facilities are clean, however could benefit from having more bathrooms available as it can get pretty busy in the mornings during breakfast hours. Location is right in the Gaslamp district just a block away from the restsurants/bars etc so very convenient for going out as well. Common area and lack of planned activities not the most conduitive to socialising but you can meet and socialise in the kitchen area if travelling solo

I have been in many hostels around the world and this was one of my favourite. Very nice, pretty clean, a lot of restrooms and a very good and nice breakfast, it's so nice to make your own pancakes and the dough was so good! The only negative point is the WIfi cause it doesn't usually work in the rooms and I had to stay in the kitchen or the stairs while many people were passing by and even there it was not the best. In the overall If u are planning to go to SD this is the place to stay at!

Good, safe hostel in a good location. Lacks a little atmosphere.

The owners were extremely friendly & helpful. Not only was the hostel centrally located but on a quiet street, they had excellent facilities! The free breakfast was great, the kitchen provided a place for me to store my food. Grocery store, public transport, sights are all close. Staff was superb. On my last day, I planned to leave early but I was concerned about missing the flight and then not having a place to stay. James, the owner, called me to make sure I made the flight just in case!

• 25th May 2015

It was our second time at the hostel (me and my fiance). We love it. This time we had a problem with two snoring monsters sharing the room with us, and Chris (the manager) was so helpful and helped me finding another bed to sleep at 4:30 am. The next day he moved us to another room. He is such a nice guy. The hostel is very clean and simple, with no big deals to worry about. The hostel has a friendly atmosphere, with a lot of interaction with the people and a very nice hanging out area.

• 22nd May 2015

Friendly place in the heart of San Diego. Good facilities, overall a great hostel

Really nice place, full of amazing people from everywhere !

• 11th May 2015

Very convenient location. The staff was really helpful. I had a great stay and would definitely recommend it

• 5th May 2015

Great location. If you're an early morning person, you'll have no problems using the bathrooms in the morning, but lots of queues around 9-10am. Breakfast is served only 8am onwards, which is a bit late if you have to be somewhere that day. I didn't really matter to us though, since I don't think pancakes and cereal are really a good breakfast anyway, so we used the fridges to store our own items, which was fine until the second to last morning when someone had stolen/thrown out/ eaten those.

There is no common area and is not the place where u come and meet ppl at all I wouldn't come here if I am alone and trying to meet ppl to go out with But the place per se is not that bad

I found the guy at the front desk,James,to be incredibly helpful at all times. He was very knowledgeable about the surrounding area and went out of his way to make my stay there as comfortable and welcoming as possible

• 12th Apr 2015

It was the first time to make pankake(in breakfast)....very delicios & fun. -the staff(James) was kind and considered my conditions when we met each other.TKS -Free use of internet surfing was helpful to me because I did not bring my cellphone,ipod,notebook when I travel.