Hostel on 3rd Reviews

542 3rd Avenue, San Diego, USA

A wonderful place, very nice people in a very pleasant neighborhood.

• 20th Jul 2014
  • Spain

To be honest, for the price I expected it to be a dive. It certainly wasn't - the beds were firm, the bathrooms were plentiful and always clean and the wifi was consistent. Great location - central, but slightly away from the street noise. Nice big common area. The owner was friendly. Downsides? The kitchen was too small (I had to eat breakfast on the stairs) and used as a noisy gathering place after the common room shut at midnight. Dorms are a little small and there are no reading lights.

Stayed in this hostel over 4th July weekend and it was great!! We made some amazing friends and the location was fab!! the hostel is definitely one of the cleanest I've stayed in and it had a full kitchen for if you wanted to eat in! I would highly recommend!!!

• 3rd Jul 2014

these guys are the worst. in summary i was left to sleep in my car due to these rude freaks. just go to international zoo hostel its not far from centre, these guys are corrupt. they pay people to write their reviews, don't expect customer service here!!! and if you do stay here and read my review more fool you if you have issues with them. A guy i went to play volleyball with told me they reserved a room he wasn't staying in for him(and others) and he was told to write an excellent review!

The staff were really friendly and helpful. And the rooms were nice. And there's a lovely free breakfast with DIY pancakes and maple syrup. However, security was a major issue - since one of the nights I was there, a random drunk person from the street gained access and started knocking on people's doors looking for his 'daughter'. I think if the hostel had a 24hr reception then this wouldn't happen.

I really enjoyed my stay. My "excellent" selection in all categories says all. Hostel on 3rd is a clear notch above a hostel I stayed at in San Francisco. Internet connectivity was hit or miss but was fast once connected. The staff was great for helping me and others with individual needs. Some rules were posted where necessary for the comfort of all. This hostel is perfectly located near public transportation, restaurants/night clubs and a 10 minute walk to Padres baseball stadium.

• 29th Jun 2014
  • Mixed Group, 41+

One of the best stay in usa

Cheap accommodation for a great location in the happening Gaslamp district. Breakfast is ok, but every option is full of sugar - would be nice to have some fruit or healthier options but I suspect it's price related. We stayed for 4 days and our mixed dorm remained pretty dusty and dirty for the entire time. Bathrooms are also pretty average on cleanliness, but not a huge deal. It's also pretty noisy due to surrounding apartments and the communal kitchen area - bring earplugs to be safe.

The staff was nice and i really like the location near by gastown quater.

• 21st Jun 2014
  • South Korea

Very nice staff. Street noise can be distracting if window is left open on dorms facing street.

• 21st Jun 2014

We had a great time and the staff is amazing!!

• 16th Jun 2014

I only stayed here a night but it was great. Very good downtown location. Free Breakfast too!

a good hostel but more for people looking to have a quiet time.

James and Amy were super friendly and most importantly, helpful. Would definitely recommend this place!

• 14th Jun 2014
  • Singapore

I wish I could leave a great review but honestly I was disappointed. The staff were trained to be friendly but didn't feel genuine friendliness there. They have lockers but you have to buy your own lock. It would be nice if they rented locks for a deposit instead of making you buy a lock that you are only going to use once. I arrived in the afternoon and went to my room. 1/2 hour later a group of drunk guys came in and caused a ruckus (2 of them were my roommates) Didn't feel safe during my stay

Very nice staff. Small kitchen became the gathering point late at night (since large common/game/tv room was in a separate entrance)and at times it got very loud for those sleeping. With just 2 working single restrooms (toilet, sink, shower) and another out of service for remodel, the one toilet only restroom was a good idea for those in a hurry. Wifi was getting repaired/upgraded but worked for me most of the time. All hostellers should carry ear plugs, eye mask and a small electric fan.

• 30th May 2014

Facilities are clean and new, and the services and attitude from staff are well appreciated.

I loved this hostel. It is by far one of the most social and welcoming hostels I've been to and the price is definitely right! The location is great for night life, and not too far from the beaches either. The rooms are clean and one of the showers is gigantic. < < < i think in general the atmosphere won me over, would recommend this place a thousand times over > > >

Staff was welcoming and accomodating. Loved the building itself and the proximity to the port/gas lamp section.

• 28th Apr 2014

Great place, excellent staff, great breakfast. Very good value for money. I will choose it again!