Hostel on 3rd Reviews

542 3rd Avenue, San Diego, USA

Very good, cheap, ... Hostel in the well known Gaslamp Quarter.

The location is great, the stuff very friendly and helpful, they have lot of bathrooms and they are clean. What I did not like it was too quiet there. No parties, no possibility to meet other people etc. so if you are looking for a clean, quiet place it's a very good choice. I was looking for a party hostel, so I would not stay there again.

Unfortunately, parties are held on the floor where all rooms are after 2am. If you are looking for a good party time def a good spot. Was very hard (and noisy) to get keys into door lock of rooms.

The Hostel was good. It was only bad to Park there.

• 15th Aug 2013

In a fairly good location as the Trolley was a short walk away which made it easy to get anywhere. Though it was my first time in a dorm room, I didn't always feel at ease leaving my belongings in the room with strangers. The only 'locker' available was for small items, and even that was down the hallway (which you needed to provide your own lock). The facilities were pretty much what you paid for, a little on the run down side with an eclectic collection of furniture.

You cannot beat the location of this hostel! Met some cool people there, the staff were nice too. I enjoyed my time there and would stay again if I'm back in SD

My four friends and I stayed in this hostel for 3 nights. It was by far one of the best hostels we have stayed in. The location is excellent it is located two blocks from 5th street which is the city centre and close to all shops and bars. The staff were very friendly and helpful especially the owner who was very kind and welcoming. Our rooms very always kept clean and tidy and there was a wash facility provided for three dollars which was ideal. Breakfast was also provided each morning.

• 6th Aug 2013

Myself and three friends stayed for a weekend and this hostel met our needs perfectly. Location was great if you want to be near Gaslamp Quarter, beds were comfortable, and bathrooms clean. The lounge area was pretty small but they had a large (though disconnected) lounge area downstairs. Only issue was parking since we drove to San Diego, but we were lucky enough to find metered spots right outside the hostel door and only ended up paying for 4 hours of parking the whole weekend.

This hostel has the worst management skills *ever*. They need to sort themselves out and then maybe they'll be ok. I stayed there for just over a week and saw 5 people leave the hostel over arguments with the management. Completely unprofessional. No hostel activities but pretty easy to meet people in the kitchen. Located right in the gas lamp district which is really good for night life, and close to the pretty much everything you'll want to go to. It's relatively clean but only small lockers.

I was here for a business trip and found the hostel suited my needs perfectly. From door to door the convention center was a 5 minute walk. The staff were very personable. The hours of quiet (11 p - 8 a) allowed me to sleep quite well. The bathrooms are spacious and one seems almost spa like (a huge walk in with wall to wall travertine).

• 29th Jul 2013

I came in to town for a convention and this was my first time in a U.S. hostel. I found this hostel to be almost like a hotel -except for the shared bathroom- and the kitchen was available for cooking, if I wanted to, although I ate all my meals out. The kitchen provided potatoes, onions, garlic, a spice rack, and a basket of lemons from the owners. The hostel did not have a business center, but I was able to do all my business work in the quiet, spacious lobby along with a couple of clients.

• 22nd Jul 2013

EXCELLENT!!! Wonderful staff, good rooms, great location.

• 16th Jul 2013

Very nice hostel, GREAT location (Gaslamp Quarter is a really nice neighbourhood, always something going on), staff is helpful and friendly, everything is kept pretty clean (better than a lot of hostels), all in all very decent hostel; no real complaints, other than that the computer didn't work, but it was being fixed, so they were already working on it... Would definitely recommend this place

Decent Hostel close to the buzzing part of Gaslamp quarter. Cafés & supermarket (Ralphs) just 1 min away, mall with food court just 3 mins. Rooms are alright but there is imminent danger involved in the proximity between the ceiling fans and the upper-bunk beds in many rooms (for tall people in particular). I almost beheaded myself. I told the staff to take care of that but I'm not sure they will.

Thank you for the heads up (pardon the pun) regarding our ceiling fan. We are most serious regarding your observation and have removed the top two mattresses. We are considering turning that room into a private one.

I stayed at Hostel on 3rd during a conference...and it was the best place to stay at in my opinion. Right next to the convention center as well as downtown. Most importantly, the bathrooms were clean (and cleaned regularly at that). James was extremely helpful and kind! Thank you James :)

• 7th Jul 2013
  • India

Great location, excellent value, no complaints.

I loved the convenient location of the hostel. The facilities were great I was just freaked out with the roaches in the bathroom. Otherwise, it was good value for my money and I would definately go back. The service was also great too.

• 7th Jul 2013
  • Kenya

We are glad to see you back at our hostel. We only wish you had informed the front desk. What you saw was a Chinese water bug. During hot summers, they are rampant on the sidewalks and sewer drains and according to your rating of us it is not an indication of uncleanliness. Thank you.

Everything was great and everyone was extremely friendly!!!

Hostel on 3rd is well worth a stay in San Diego, its a lengthy trip to the beaches if that's your reason for coming to San Diego but a general traveler, it's in an ideal location to see the best of what San Diego has to offer. It's clean, spacious and well equipped, has plenty of bars and restaurants just around the corner and a Ralph's supermarket if you want to shop and cook on a budget.

very good hostwl with good staff and location。