Hostel on 3rd Reviews

542 3rd Avenue, San Diego, USA

Breakfast great, quit and 2 blocks from the party zone, very clean and James does everything he can to accommodate you, sinks in rooms, and showers work great , just very good overall

I would absolutely stay here again! I couldn't believe how convenient the location was to the local nightlife and the public transportation for sightseeing during the day. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Very worth the money!

• 16th Jan 2015

Great location! Good staff, helpful. Unfortunately it was the off season (winter) in terms of people being in the hostel, but it was brilliant non the less!

Great location and great atmosphere but the hostel is super cold. There really is no proper heating and even with two blankets at night, it still gets super cold in the dorm.

This hostel is excellent value for money. Its location close to the Convention Center and Gaslamp Quarter are its biggest pluspoints. I found the hostel clean and safe and the staff super-friendly. There was hot water in the showers, and free breakfast and coffee in the kitchen. My only grouse probably is that there is no heating in the dorm rooms, and the blankets they give aren't enough to keep you warm. Bring your own blankets and Hostel on 3rd is the perfect bang for your buck in San Diego!

• 30th Dec 2014
  • India

Overall, a nice hostel in a good location. Features a spacious kitchen and a very big common area with a table-tennis. Careful though: The rooms have NO HEATING and the building has a very, very poor insulation. It was freezing cold and I caught myself a cold within my first night. The staff could not provide a space heater or any other temporary solution. On top of that, they could not even provide enough blankets for everybody! The blanket handed out at Chek-In was merely a towel.

• 29th Dec 2014

nice hostel. we were there in december and unfortunately it got really, really cold in the rooms because apparently houses in san diego do not have heating Systems. However, if it gets colder than usuallly they should have transportable heaters for each rooms or at least some blankets. free breakfast wsn´t good at all. location of the hotel is good. nice common area.

Nice Hostel, VEEEEEEERY nice stuff!

Old hotel with a large lounge (tv,books,games and 1 computer) in the ground floor and rooms and well equiped kitchen in the upper floor. Breakfast with selfmade pancakes and cereals 8-10 am. Centrally located, next Horton square and gaslamp quarter. Kind and helpful staff. Sometimes is noisy in the early morning. Surely the cheapest and best accomodation in the area.

THIEVES !!! I booked private room for me because of my baggage. I paid USD 20 deposit and I never had the deposit back. The staff is trained to come to you with lame excuses about the manager telling them you broke the rules, so you loose your deposit. I asked about to talk to the manager. They do not call "the manager", who probably even does not exist. I asked to see the note written by the manage, also nothing.Of course you leave because otherwise you miss your flight. THIEVES !!

You wont regret staying in this hotel (we didnt)!

• 28th Sep 2014
  • Croatia

I was very impressed by the friendliness of the staff and their willingness to accommodate any issues I had. The availability of breakfast (especially pancakes and coffee) was a wonderful treat as well.

• 26th Sep 2014

I had a great time at Hostel on 3rd, great location and facilities, very helpful and friendly staff, and a lovely guests. Strongly recommend it.

• 20th Sep 2014
  • Poland

location is the best feature of this hostel-noise is not too much of a problem esp if you stay in a room away from the street-breakfast is very basic but kitchen has everything you need for cooking-main lobby is large with wifi, some games, pool table, ping pong, books, etc.-no planned activities by hostel staff but they are generally helpful if you have questions to ask-I will definitely stay again-some suggestions would be to upgrade breakfast and plan some activities for hostellers

• 18th Sep 2014

The location of the hostel is fantastic but that's about the only positive about our stay at Hostel on Third. We checked in and found the staff particularly unhelpful - there were no maps or suggestions for things to do. There were no social events or anywhere to really meet other travellers. But the worst came at night - I don't think I have ever had such a poor sleep in a hostel. The rooms had no air conditioning and were unbearably hot. I would not recommend this to anyone.

I stayed in this hostel a week and a half ago and was pleased with my stay at this hostel. It was located just a block away from the amazing San Diego nightlife that is the Gaslamp district which was extremely convenient. The person working the front counter was very helpful and insightful on what's around the area. I only stayed one night so I can't say much about the atmosphere. My only complaint is there was a small cockroach in one of the bathrooms.

• 13th Sep 2014

Had a great stay here during my time away. Its safe and comfortable vibe has convinced me to come back next year when I attend Comic Con. Staff was helpful, friendly, and gave great recommendations on places to eat and visit. Being located right next to the harbor, convention center, and Gaslamp area made it easy to find entertainment every night. Definitely recommend this hostel

• 9th Sep 2014

No A/C in my room only fans, was very hot a couple of nights at the start of September. Very helpful staff and location is very good.

We really enjoyed this hostel. James at the front desk was super friendly and accommodating. The location is great, and the lounge downstairs is pretty cool. The showers were nicer than I have at home (seem to be remodeled recently) and our room was clean, secure and comfortable. Nice complimentary pancakes and cereal in the morning. Great place, no complaints! We'll be back!

• 1st Sep 2014

Located in downtown. Very easy to go around. Breakfast is nice.

• 29th Aug 2014