Hostel on 3rd Reviews

542 3rd Avenue, San Diego, USA

I really appreciated to stay at the Hostel on 3rd! The staff is just awesome, they do everything possible to help you to find what you are looking for ! It's a quiet place to stay, really close to the Convention center ! Perfect for business trip !

One night stay. Booked a private room for 2, got private w 2 bunk beds + 3 mattresses, no extra charge. Not too far from Park It On Market, the garage we used ($15/car/night). The common room downstairs was really open and empty, not cozy + welcoming vibe like other hostels; dim light and classy decorations from around the world, NOT bright, nor mural-covered, nor peopleful, nor happy disrepair. Conversations happened in the kitchen. James was very nice in a professional-seeming way.

It was alright for two nights, the kitchen however could have been cleaner and it was freezing cold the entire time! We would come again because the location was amazing, the staff was nice and all in all it was more or less clean. Just too cold.

• 25th Dec 2015

Staffs are so friendly and helpful! Thanks them a lots!

Convient location, right next to gas lamp district. Friendly staff. However, the room is kind of chilly at night and also, you have to grab the blankets, sheets outside the room. Coffee, cereal, and pancakes provided every morning. James was very helpful providing the information about the city.

• 5th Dec 2015

Super super supet awesome and supportive desk by James. Super super super cold freezing rooms. Super threatening hostel owner who threatened me on the phone because I went into the hostel after I have checked out with my friend leaving her deposit! Thats super crazy. Never experienced such thing before. Wouldnt recommend to stay. Unless for James he is super awesome!

• 30th Nov 2015

Wifi sucks, the whole reception is closed for 4 hours in the afternoon is just nonsense! Fly in and all you want to do is lie in bed and cant because the reception is closed until 4pm so have to wait around until it opens. Not very accommodating for guests is it? They do an after midnight check in by email, why cant they do this for the afternoon? Kitchen bathrooms ect all good

• 9th Oct 2015
  • Scotland

Great location. Friendly people all around - some of the staff might be too friendly and helpful, i.e. ridiculously long wait to check in as he made small talk and explained things ad nauseam to the group in front of me...it was like an unfunny sitcom. Nice guy, though. Generally not a problem finding an open shower in the morning. I was there in the middle of a heat wave and it was preposterously hot; AC could have salvaged some of my brain cells, thought the fans did help somewhat.

The service here is great. James is very friendly - he will tell you everything you need to know - and more. The room was good, it had a sink in it and the beds were comfortable. Location is good, was difficult to find the hostel using their instructions - maybe update these as getting lost and having no access to internet isn't great, instead of north perhaps tell people to head towards 'this building' or that building. Breakfast was good and the hostel was kept very clean.

We did not stay here in the end as we found cheaper accommodation elsewhere.

I have been visiting downtown San Diego for about a year and a half, Every time I stayed at 3rd, I had a good time. Its nice and quiet, and clean as any hostel could be. The staff is nice helpful. The people I meet there are good people to have a conversation with. All in All, I enjoy this hostel more than any other in San Diego.

James is awesome , he is there for help you . And you can ask him everything . the hostel is in downtown so really good location. Just bad experience about the key tht I was sure I left in the kitchen so we had to pay 10$ for tht cuz we did nt find it . For the rest we had a good stay in this hostel.

• 7th Sep 2015
  • India

We had a very pleasant experience at Hostel on 3rd, We felt that the hostel could have/should have provided more activities for guests as other hostels I have stayed at offer nights out or tours, and as people that had never been to San Diego before, it would have been nice to be informed about what was available to do. The rooms are extremely hot as there is no AC but this cannot be helped I guess, I thought the check in time of 4pm extremely late.

• 2nd Sep 2015
  • Cyprus

James was the best host ever.He makes sure you have everything you need, he shows you around the hostel, he even remembers your name which makes you feel really special and thats great especially when you are travelling alone like i was, i didnt know one person and he introduced me to other travellers. He helps with everything you need and whenever you aks him something he helps immediatly. The hostel itself has the perfect atmosphere do get to know people,i's very clean+PERFECT LOCATION!! :)

• 28th Aug 2015

The hostel itself was decent, but it was RIDICULOUSLY hot. There was a fan in the room but it did absolutely nothing, the heat was suffocating and miserable. If not for that, it would've been fine. But it is a SERIOUS problem.

An unusual hostel in a fine location. Wifi spotty in the rooms upstairs but good in the downstairs lounge by reception. Dorm rooms small with no ac and not enough ventilation on a hot day. Kitchen well-equipped. Private bathrooms work well but need a couple more for the busy times in the morning. Great online price for a San Diego hostel. Overall, location and price make up for the deficiencies. A good buy.

I was traveling on my own and it was quite easy to connect with people in the large kitchen. I loved the atmosphere here and the location is unbeatable. I would definitly recommend this hostel! It's pretty clean, the beds are also very comfortable and there is a king size shower at the end of the corridor.

Good: Price, location, close to grocery and restaurants, easy to find Bad: Stairs, hard to negotiate with luggage, no elevator, small rooms, NO a/c, very hot even with windows open and ceiling fan running full blast. Small bathrooms, but to be expected. Lots of late night noise, including running in the halls and loud conversations. Okay: Staff did what they could, but few of them and a lot of clients. Given the limitations of the building itself, they did what they could.

• 15th Aug 2015

The Hostel is quite cheap and it's located directly in San Diego Downtown where many clubs and bars are. So if you're on vacation and want to get a convenient and inexpensive accomodation this is the right place to stay. Only the beach is a bit far, by bus you need round about 45 minutes to get there.

The hostel is in a great location. With a little injection of money it could be a great hostel. The rooms were incredibly hot. I have stayed in lots of hostels and never experienced this. There was no breeze at all. This impacted on our stay and we couldn't wait to get out of hostel. Often it was cooler outside. It is likely you will have to wait for a bathroom too. I wouldn't stay here again.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7