Hostel on 3rd Reviews

542 3rd Avenue, San Diego, USA

Check in would not happen (even 1 minute before) before 4pm- even though I was told by others staying in that room that the bed had been empty anyway. Resulting in not being able to access the kitchen to make a drink etc. No arranged events/outings for people staying there so had to arrange your own things which can be difficult traveling alone staying in hostels. Not really one of those 'lively hostels', good for location though as right near gaslamp quarter, close to greyhound station etc.

+ The Japanese man (manager?) was extremely helpful, knowledgable, and quick to assist everyone. When he heard of a mistake the other staff made, he sought me out to apologize on their behalf and reassure me it won't happen again. + The lobby was a nice place to work, particularly early in the morning. + The wifi was better than average - The other staff was nice, but one had no idea how to print a document, the other would openly pick his nose. - Odorous bathrooms - One cockroach seen

It was really good!!!

• 16th Aug 2014
  • South Korea

Super nice place, great location, very nice staff, I recommend for all travelers.

• 10th Aug 2014

Had an amazing stay here in the past for SDCC and decided to come back and enjoy the actual city this time around. The hostel has a great design that didnt make me feel I was in a dormitory (especially the shower/bathroom). James and Amy were great as they showed me some fantastic sites and restaurants to check out during my stay. A great experience both times and highly recommended

• 7th Aug 2014
  • Enkidu15

Great location and the downstairs lounge looks really cool. However, the room stank of smelly shoes or something, so not a great start. Also, there's no aircon in the rooms so it can get very stuffy and the wifi was very weak in the accommodation area meaning that you were forced to go downstairs. Not the end of the world but a little inconvenient! However, $35 for the edge of the Gaslamp district can't be sniffed at so well worth a look! I'd stay again, but would probably look elsewhere first.

The Hostel is in a great location and it's pretty nice. There are several bathrooms and the room are pretty good and nto too noisy. The pancakes are not very good but ... it's not that important.

A wonderful place, very nice people in a very pleasant neighborhood.

• 20th Jul 2014
  • Spain

To be honest, for the price I expected it to be a dive. It certainly wasn't - the beds were firm, the bathrooms were plentiful and always clean and the wifi was consistent. Great location - central, but slightly away from the street noise. Nice big common area. The owner was friendly. Downsides? The kitchen was too small (I had to eat breakfast on the stairs) and used as a noisy gathering place after the common room shut at midnight. Dorms are a little small and there are no reading lights.

Stayed in this hostel over 4th July weekend and it was great!! We made some amazing friends and the location was fab!! the hostel is definitely one of the cleanest I've stayed in and it had a full kitchen for if you wanted to eat in! I would highly recommend!!!

• 3rd Jul 2014

The staff were really friendly and helpful. And the rooms were nice. And there's a lovely free breakfast with DIY pancakes and maple syrup. However, security was a major issue - since one of the nights I was there, a random drunk person from the street gained access and started knocking on people's doors looking for his 'daughter'. I think if the hostel had a 24hr reception then this wouldn't happen.

I really enjoyed my stay. My "excellent" selection in all categories says all. Hostel on 3rd is a clear notch above a hostel I stayed at in San Francisco. Internet connectivity was hit or miss but was fast once connected. The staff was great for helping me and others with individual needs. Some rules were posted where necessary for the comfort of all. This hostel is perfectly located near public transportation, restaurants/night clubs and a 10 minute walk to Padres baseball stadium.

• 29th Jun 2014
  • Mixed Group, 41+

One of the best stay in usa

Cheap accommodation for a great location in the happening Gaslamp district. Breakfast is ok, but every option is full of sugar - would be nice to have some fruit or healthier options but I suspect it's price related. We stayed for 4 days and our mixed dorm remained pretty dusty and dirty for the entire time. Bathrooms are also pretty average on cleanliness, but not a huge deal. It's also pretty noisy due to surrounding apartments and the communal kitchen area - bring earplugs to be safe.

The staff was nice and i really like the location near by gastown quater.

• 21st Jun 2014
  • South Korea

Very nice staff. Street noise can be distracting if window is left open on dorms facing street.

• 21st Jun 2014

We had a great time and the staff is amazing!!

• 16th Jun 2014

I only stayed here a night but it was great. Very good downtown location. Free Breakfast too!

a good hostel but more for people looking to have a quiet time.

James and Amy were super friendly and most importantly, helpful. Would definitely recommend this place!

• 14th Jun 2014