Hostelling International - Chamounix Mansion Reviews

3250 Chamounix Drive, West Fairmount Park, Philadelphia, USA

Very nice hostel, out of the way and quiet if you like that sort of thing, which I do. Lovely building, I enjoyed the Federal style rooms. Beds and pillows are a little hard for my taste, but still a nice place especially for the price.

A meravigliose historical mansion in a huge natural park,silence and comportable,well equiped kitchen, enaugh and original common spaces with furniture which has antique value, sleeping rooms well but it is not easy to sleep because of the beds which are very thin , old thin sheets and 100 % poliester blankets ,bath rooms are clean .Thousands thanks to Andrew for her kindly manner, but the all other person have to learn from him,like an old man walking around and observing everybody .

A bit out of the way, but if you have a car, it's a great place to stay. My GPS had trouble finding it - it's a good idea to have directions with you before you start out. The surroundings are peaceful with a nearby horse barn and several cats outside on the porch. The staff were friendly and helpful. The building and furnishings are charming antiques. The bathrooms were clean but the showers were tiny and the shower heads were not adjustable. No 3-prong outlets in the bedrooms.

• 10th Apr 2015

The place is pretty weird and was closed when I got there. It's pretty far from downtown.

• 21st Mar 2015

If you like quiet, It's good place for stay.

The host is very nice. The hostel is in a very beautiful area and good for those who have a car. But if you don't have a car it will be a far distance to the first bus stop.

• 3rd Dec 2014
  • Iran

Cool place , quirky staff, location was out but super easy to get into town!! Great kitchen and huge rooms but heating was pretty bad it got cold at night.. Goodbye white cat!

If you don't have car, consider whether you can walk 20-30 minutes to the bus station. Actually, the public transportation in the district of the hostel is inconvenient.

I had a great time staying here and even returned after staying in another hostel for a few nights. The common rooms have a very good atmosphere and the kitchen is very well equipped. While a little out of the city, it was a great place to retreat in a natural environment after spending a day in the city. Staff is very friendly and overall made it a cozy place.

it was a wonderful memory there! Staffs are warm and kind. I like the cats outdoor, the party that i come across, the big room, the fellows i met there. However, it takes 1h to city center by bus. Guess that is the only problem.

Chamounix Mansion is so far off the beaten path, that even intrepid adventurers, might want to rethink a stay at this hostel. I arrived at 8:00 pm, which meant that I had to take a bus from downtown Philly, and then walk the supposed "1 mile" from the bus stop to the hostel. To walk through a heavily wooded, dimly lighted park, late at night is not fun, and I would not recommend any female guest attempting this trek either. Plus the front desk guy was rude and surly. Plus no heat in the dorm.

• 12th Oct 2014

hard to reach by food. Extrem hard with heavy luggage.

I thought this was a great hostel and one of the more interesting places that I've ever stayed in, especially in a large city like Philly. Great value, clean, and quiet.

• 3rd Oct 2014

I thought the hostel was like an oasis in the middle of busy Philly. Everyone was very nice and helpful and I thought the building itself was very charming- old world. Nicely compares to other hostels I've stayed at I Europe- better than most there.

• 28th Sep 2014

If you have a car, the hostel is great for you...if you are walking, it's a long walk to the hostel from the bus ,but it's only through a park. The staff at the hostel is really nice. The rooms are just plain dorm rooms. The house is very old so you can hear anytime anyone is walking around. Our room only had one outlet for plugging stuff in. The beds were horrible. Very difficult to sleep in. They are the only reason I would consider not coming back.

it is a great place! Nice and friendly people, very clean, offers a lot. It is just outside of Philadelphia.. pretty far

It has a summer camp vibe to it! The hostel, himself is in a well preserved historical home. It's nice for someone who's travelling on a budget and does'nt mind walking 20 min to get to the bus stop.

Well said! I hope that meant your stay was enjoyable. Abbe

So far away. Just go there by car. From the city center it's a long bus ride 20mim walk in the middle of nowhere...

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A CAR I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND. IT IS PRETTY FAR FROM THE BUS STOP. THE PLACE IS OK, BUT THE LOCATION IS NOT CONVENIENT.

There was no free breakfast.

Dear guest, There is a free breakfast, every single day, but I will change the listing on Hostelworld to read "free DIY breakfast", as you DO have to make the pancakes yourself. I hope this was explained to you when you checked in. If not, I am indeed very sorry. Also, if you came down to the kitchen, ten minutes before we close at 11 am, the breakfast items would have been removed. We want there to be enough time for you to make pancakes, eat, and clean up, so it may have been put away.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7