Hostelling International - Chamounix Mansion Reviews

3250 Chamounix Drive, West Fairmount Park, Philadelphia, USA

Very quite and clean. however, a little inconvenience to get downtown! It is cheap but you will spend more money for the bus, just like same price live in the city. To hot when you walk to the bus stop all sweaty a lot! But I think is very good for group camping there! Very nice park!

Awesome old house in a nice park. It's clearly not in the city center, but I still would recommend it due to its fantastic staff and the beauty of the old house.

Please change those beds now. Probably the worst bed i've slept in my entire life. That would have been a reason not to stay in your hostel, plus the location and the difficulties of taxis and ubers to get there.

• 27th Jun 2015
  • Spain

Very pretty mansion, friendly and helpful staff, good common rooms, not expensive and located in the beautiful Fairmount park. True hostel experience, I met some really nice people. Good and open information on the possible drawbacks (distance to the bus and lockout time). Matrasses definitely need improvement and the carriage house (I slept close to the main door) is noisy in the morning. Pancakes are nice but e.g. cereal for a bit diversity would be nice.

Historic and elegant, but far from bus lines.

It was a comfortable place with beautiful outside surroundings. I had more enjoyment than I expected.

• 30th May 2015

I think in case of hostel facility, everything was good except for a shower tool. Water pressure was too strong.

• 12th May 2015
  • South Korea

We've been getting complaints about the shower heads, so I am going to ask my boss to have someone take a look at them. I have the same type of shower head in my apartment here and it's fine. I wonder if it may have calcium and rust build up. I'm sorry, that must have been painful! I hope you didn't have a sun burn! Thanks for your comments. Abbe

Very nice hostel, out of the way and quiet if you like that sort of thing, which I do. Lovely building, I enjoyed the Federal style rooms. Beds and pillows are a little hard for my taste, but still a nice place especially for the price.

Mattresses are on our wish list, to be sure. I hope that you were able to get a good night's sleep. though. Guests do double up mattresses and put blankets underneath. They are very resourceful, and I am glad, because if that's what it takes to alleviate the mattress problem until we get new mattresses, then everyone sleeps well at night! Thanks for the comment. Abbe

A meravigliose historical mansion in a huge natural park,silence and comportable,well equiped kitchen, enaugh and original common spaces with furniture which has antique value, sleeping rooms well but it is not easy to sleep because of the beds which are very thin , old thin sheets and 100 % poliester blankets ,bath rooms are clean .Thousands thanks to Andrew for her kindly manner, but the all other person have to learn from him,like an old man walking around and observing everybody .

A bit out of the way, but if you have a car, it's a great place to stay. My GPS had trouble finding it - it's a good idea to have directions with you before you start out. The surroundings are peaceful with a nearby horse barn and several cats outside on the porch. The staff were friendly and helpful. The building and furnishings are charming antiques. The bathrooms were clean but the showers were tiny and the shower heads were not adjustable. No 3-prong outlets in the bedrooms.

• 10th Apr 2015

The place is pretty weird and was closed when I got there. It's pretty far from downtown.

• 21st Mar 2015

If you like quiet, It's good place for stay.

The host is very nice. The hostel is in a very beautiful area and good for those who have a car. But if you don't have a car it will be a far distance to the first bus stop.

• 3rd Dec 2014
  • Iran

Cool place , quirky staff, location was out but super easy to get into town!! Great kitchen and huge rooms but heating was pretty bad it got cold at night.. Goodbye white cat!

If you don't have car, consider whether you can walk 20-30 minutes to the bus station. Actually, the public transportation in the district of the hostel is inconvenient.

I had a great time staying here and even returned after staying in another hostel for a few nights. The common rooms have a very good atmosphere and the kitchen is very well equipped. While a little out of the city, it was a great place to retreat in a natural environment after spending a day in the city. Staff is very friendly and overall made it a cozy place.

it was a wonderful memory there! Staffs are warm and kind. I like the cats outdoor, the party that i come across, the big room, the fellows i met there. However, it takes 1h to city center by bus. Guess that is the only problem.

Chamounix Mansion is so far off the beaten path, that even intrepid adventurers, might want to rethink a stay at this hostel. I arrived at 8:00 pm, which meant that I had to take a bus from downtown Philly, and then walk the supposed "1 mile" from the bus stop to the hostel. To walk through a heavily wooded, dimly lighted park, late at night is not fun, and I would not recommend any female guest attempting this trek either. Plus the front desk guy was rude and surly. Plus no heat in the dorm.

• 12th Oct 2014

hard to reach by food. Extrem hard with heavy luggage.

I thought this was a great hostel and one of the more interesting places that I've ever stayed in, especially in a large city like Philly. Great value, clean, and quiet.

• 3rd Oct 2014