Hostelling International at the American Hotel Reviews

520 S. King St., Seattle, Washington, USA

The hostel looked good. But really the people attending the reception of very low level. Mainly the people who were at night. He was angry and answered without always eager to help. The first night I got a room, and when I was sleeping someone came saying the bed was occupied. At the reception were wrong. But I did not even apologized. I was given another room as if I were to blame. But about the place is clean, good facility, good food, good breakfast.

• 18th Aug 2013

The hostel location is not idea for wanting to find food later @ night. Most of the restaurants close down pretty early. As everybody else says, the area is a bit ghetto and homeless people walk around but I never felt threatened during my stay. Just mind your business as you walk around at night and you should be fine.

During the breakfast there is a guy that gives tips about what to see in Seattle and the whole area. He gave us a lot of information and was super nice!

Great place and flexible and accomodating staff. Rooms were a bit stuffy...

Great location; some of the staff was more helpful than others, but that seems to be the norm in the hostels that I've stayed in.

First of all, the front desk agent was probably one of the rudest people I have ever encounter while checking into any hospital facility. She was extremely rude and we were so excited to be in Seattle and she ruined our mood. There was just no excitement when we checked in. I have worked in the tourism industry for awhile, and out of everything that's the one thing that really bothered me, because I was with people who had never stayed at a hostel before and got really bad vibes.

• 5th Aug 2013

It is a hostel, and you get what you pay for. In general this is a very good place to stay if a hostel is what you are looking for. Staff and service was very good, and the room was clean. The location is not the best, but security at the hostel seem good. Public transportation is easily accesible, with a lightrailstation nearby. We were also very happy that the BoltBus going to our next destination (Portland) stopped just outside the hostel. There is free continental breakfast and a big kitchen

• 4th Aug 2013
  • Norway

Overall a very good stay. Would have been nice if there was a 21+ lounge so we could have brought beers back to the Hostel to hang out. Also there was one very rude lady at the front desk who had zero patience. Other than her the staff was very professional and helpful.

• 4th Aug 2013
  • All Male Group, 18-24

The staff and the atmosphere were one of the greatest I've ever experienced. But the area, although very near to downtown, didn't seem very safe. No problem if you just don't go out alone at night.

The location was okay-- I wouldn't walk around alone at night outside, but it is close to the rail and greyhound station, as well as the light rail. The hostel itself was in an old renovated hotel, which was cool, and there were some neat events going on. Nice for a solo traveler to try to meet people. Though.... some of the staff was helpful and friendly, but others seemed like they absolutely hated interacting with guests. That made it a bit less pleasant.

Overall is good, big hostel with full equipped of facilities

Excellent hostel in the international district! Although the surrounding area was a bit shady at night, there are many good restaurants and is very lively: I had the chance to watch a parade on the street in front of the hostel! The showers are public but very clean. The rooms themselves look a bit old, but it's not a big deal. As a solo traveller, I met lots of cool people and had a lot of fun! Thanks American Hostel!

good location, and I am lifetime hostelling international member.

Definitely was a good place to stay. Easy access to transportation all over the city. Very friendly staff and very clean. Will stay again when in Seattle.

• 18th Jul 2013

Would recommend this to anyone. It is so central. Perfect

• 12th Jul 2013

It is located on the edge of chinatown, not the best area, but I didn't feel unsafe walking alone at night. It is very close to King St Station for early Amtrak trains, and Union Station, making it very easy to get around via public transport should you choose not to walk. Definitely not a hostel if you are looking to party, but good if you are looking for a place to sleep after a long day of walking.

Not such a good neighbourhood, but nice staff and people.

I've stayed at much better HI hostels in various countries. I'd give it 3 of 5 stars on the HI hostel scale. I know Seattle well and would normally never stay in this area, but in this case I wanted the convenience of being a half block from the Bolt Bus the next morning. It was clean and a place to sleep.

离地铁很近,在华人区,买东西方便。

Had a lovely stay at your hostel. Great location and friendly staff!

Thanks so much for your kind words! I'm so glad to hear that you had a great stay. Please come back and see us again soon. Kind Regards, Lydia, HI-Seattle AGM