Hostelo the New Urban Reviews

901 Sherbrooke Est, Montreal, Canada

First of all there, is no sign at the house, so you're wondering if you're in the right place. The reception is shared with a hotel and there's about 20 steps you need to haul your luggage up only to be then told that the hostel is actually across the street. I had booked a 8 bed room only to be told that they only have a 14 bed room for girls. The room is in the basement and there is no AC, so it gets sticky over night. There was no shower curtain and there are no blackout curtains.

• 26th Jul 2015

Cost wise the hostel is cheap, but you get what you pay for. There was only one toilet and shower for several rooms of people. There are keycards to get in to the hostel but the door always seemed to be open. The bed in the 8 person dorm was quite comfortable and each bed had its own outlet which was pretty convenient. They had a nice pancake breakfast with coffee in the morning which was nice. Hostel was right downtown, very good location. Not the cleanest place I've stayed.

Was clean, great location close to metro, yummy breakfast and great people.

I had a fantastic stay here - staff was outstanding, incredibly friendly, helpful, professional. Everything else was good too, but the real asset of this place is the people working here! Thanks again, Aidan

• 2nd Jul 2015

This was the best location-- smack dab in the city. The staff was really great-- they made yummy pancakes, made sure to make us feel included, and also were just generally super informative.

• 26th Jun 2015

I stayed in the four beds dorm. It felt like a moist underground bunker and I'm happy I was the only person in the room or it would have been way, way too small. The wifi didn't work at any point, I used one of the above hotel's, but the connection was very, poor. The day I checked in, the room and bathroom had not been cleaned. This is a inexpensive hostel, which is great, but the overall quality is below avarage for hostels. It's fine for a night or two, but not longer.

If you want a cheap and short stay, go for it. Spend an extra few dollars and get a 4 bed dorm if available. You will have your own shower and toilet. Don't count on the lockers to hold all luggage as there are only a few and they're very small. Communal toilets had no toilet paper and no soap in the sink. Some rooms lacked curtains on windows. 3 wi-fi netwroks available but not were accessible from my room. Bring earplugs and toilet paper in case!

• 13th Jun 2015

Thanks for leaving your comments! They're really appreciated. The 4-bed dorm is being renovated so, like all the other dorms, each bed will have a locker so big you could crawl inside. I'm terrible sorry you ran out of toilet paper and soap in your bathroom. That's an awful oversight. There are always plenty of supplies available - extra paper, soap, shampoo, towels, hair dryers, etc. - for free, for all our guests. You can ask our 24hr reception if something seems to be missing. Thanks again!

Good location. Walking distance from the centre. Staff were not very friendly. Air con wasn't working and the guy on the desk was very blasé when asked about it for the second time. Didn't check just said yeah if u asked it must be done. Room was very small. Common area was not very clean. All surfaces were sticky

Thanks for writing! We're still a pretty young hostel, so we appreciate every commentary. As it's been so busy this summer, it's possible some attention to detail fell through the cracks during your stay. I apologize. We're always working hard and trying to find new ways to make the experience better for every guest, every day. Please do contact us if you'd like to discuss this with management. I'm glad you enjoyed our location! Happy roads.

They let poeple smoke pot in the Hostel, the music is super loud till late at night, there a small bathroom with a Super small sink. Its dirty as F!@#$. If you wana party i guess its better then sleeping on the street. I wouldnt recommanded that hostel at all

I'm so sorry you had a poor experience, but I'm really glad you wrote. We do thorough cleanings twice a day and insist on lowered volume after 10:30 PM, but it's possible something went wrong during your stay. Please don't hesitate to contact management if there's something we can do for you. I wish you all the best in you travels!

This is the first time i have ever written such a negative review over a hostel; though location is good, the rooms are not fit for humans: -A 2x2 meter room for 4 people- not even a place to put your bag, so need to be mounted altogether - room are on basement levels, no window or ventilation. Very stuffy and with a constant bad odder - only few, small lockers- outside of them rooms. Lockers are tiny and always full. - common area very much neglected with a sad feel to it.

• 7th Jun 2015
  • Israel

Thank you for your comments! Every criticism is helpful to us. You stayed in a 4-bed dorm, and those are currently under renovation to bring them in line with the other rooms. And if you ever choose to come back, you can see the new look and lighting scheme of the 901common space, which we've put a lot of work into. Guests should keep in mind that they can choose between two common spaces and three different patios to hang out on. Thank you again, and I really apologize that it was unpleasant.

I had an amazing stay at this hostel. The atmosphere is incredibly friendly, helped by the great young staff. One side is more of a party/ hang out hostel, while the other building is more quiet and reserved, so perhaps inquire as to which hostel you want to stay in.

• 2nd Jun 2015

Thanks for the kind words! We loved having you! Oh, and that's quite good advice for other guests. Yes, feel free to talk to reception about which building you'd rather be in, and they'll be happy to accommodate your preference. Bon voyage!

This is my first experience and stay. I am little bit nervous before my stay but found very friendly and homie environment.yGreat value for money.

• 1st Jun 2015

Well thank you! I hope it's your first of several experiences and stays. Happy travels!

bit of a nightmare hostel and I've stayed in loads. The hostel rooms are decent and private however the rest of the hostel isn't. this hostel should be advertised as a live in hostel for those moving as it has an unwelcoming atmosphere for just those visiting. one toilet and shower between many isn't cool and the common room is seriously dirty and again unwelcoming, but i suppose you get what you pay for, however definitely does need a good clean!

Oi, I'm so sorry your experience wasn't pleasant! Please contact us directly if you think there's anything we can do to help make up for this! We have been working hard to keep everything in ship-shape for the dozens of travellers passing through every week, but it's hard to keep it always perfect, and reading reviews helps to identify problem days. So thank you so much for writing. I hope all your travels are colourful and wonderful.

The dorms were fine, although quite small with a lot of beds packed into one room. The common area was far to small and constantly full of loitering staff and their acquaintances, which would have been fine had the majority of them not been insufferable. I cooked there and enjoyed the atmosphere somewhat, but in short the hotel has tried to pack too many people into too little space and filled the remainder with unbearable tools.

This was a good choice for the first hostel I brought my sister to. It was very social and at the end of our first day there was a start of summer barbecue, which was great. It was a bit far from most of the major things to do, but in a good area, and right near a metro stop. Although I didn't like that they list free towels and parking on the Hostelworld page, when that is not true. I was not anticipating having to spend and extra 15CAD per night to park.

Hey, thanks! I'm glad both you and your sis enjoyed your stay. The start of summer BBQ was too much fun. (Follow our social media if you want to keep up with all our events!) Towels are free, but you have to ask for them. You can pick them up at reception, or any other staff member will be happy to grab one for you. There are a number of free parking options but - this being downtown - it can be a little complicated to find the right ones. Please ask reception for advice. Thanks for writing!

One of th best hostel I've stayed at mainly because the community there was just géniale! I absolutley loved the atmosphere and will surely be back here when next I visit Montréal :)

I'm so glad you became a part of that great atmosphere! We have the most awesome guests, and spending time with them is always fun. Thank you so much! Until next time.

Worst youth hostel ever. Noise during all night, people watching TV or playing videogames next to the bedrooms badly insulated until 3 AM. The shower is extremely tiny and there is only one. I had to bend my legs because the bed was too small and I'm only 1m84. It's cheap but you won't sleep.

• 2nd May 2015

Thank you for taking the time to comment, and I'm so sorry you had an unfortunate experience. As a young hostel, we're still striving to act on everyone's suggestions and critiques. Guests are encouraged to alert our 24hr staff if other people aren't respecting the noise level restrictions. I encourage you to please reach out directly to me at dylan.hostelo@gmail.com if you think there is something I can do to make up for your unsatisfactory stay. Thank you again! Have great travels

I've stayed before and it was wonderful. This time the shower could use some cleaning. I'm sure it's an over site and will be repaired shortly. Super fun place. Steps from the Orange line subway.

• 27th Apr 2015

Thanks lots! Showers do get a lot of use, naturally, but we work hard to keep them as clean as possible throughout the stay. We'll see you next time!

Great place to stay, these people like to party! There was a party every night! We did not go with the intentions to party, it was a little difficult to get to sleep because we had to wait for everyone to leave (around midnight) before it would be quiet enough to sleep. We stayed in dorm C -the all female dorm- and it was great. There was 2 bathrooms but only one shower worked well. Each bed has a light and an electrical outlet. Sleeping mask & earplugs might be needed. Fridge available to use!

• 2nd Apr 2015

Hey, thanks for writing! I'm glad you had fun! The faulty shower has been repaired. We do understand that late partying is not always to everyone's liking, so we generally strive to have the volume lowered after 10:30 PM. If someone is really concerned about having a good night's rest we recommend they tell reception before checking in. That way, we can put you in a quieter room (we have two buildings, and one side is much calmer than the other). Thanks again! Best wishes!

I put everything excellent because it was an overall great experience. I stayed here three years ago and met some great people as well. The reason I put it's location as +++ is because it's a 10 minute walk from La Banquise, which is the best poutine shop in all of Canada and I've had my share of poutine. Pretty good place, sometimes the wifi is terrible, but they do some cool activities even during the winter and they serve breakfast now.

You're too sweet. I think you'll be happy to hear that we're in the process of getting a whole new Internet set-up in place, and the signal should be much stronger and more reliable than it used to be. Come check it out, and we can go for poutine!