Hostelo the New Urban Reviews

901 Sherbrooke Est, Montreal, Canada

The door to my dorm (E) sometimes did not lock. The hostel itself was pretty clean and well-kept; however, the hostel patrons were very disheveled. This is expected at a hostel, but it was clear that people did not do their dishes or care much about the messes they made. I was also told by someone in my dorm that the room had just been fumigated the day before for bedbugs because a couple people got bitten up. This was extremely concerning and part of the reason I decided to leave a day early.

Excellent stay. Met many new people. Enjoyed the saturday club night and tam tams on sunday.

• 22nd Aug 2015

Okay so I am going to write the review that apparently no one else wrote... There is NO free parking! Thankfully, I was connected with Dave from the hostel that showed me a safe spot to keep my car for the night, thank goodness for him! But otherwise there is no parking :) Just something to keep in mind for your stay. Otherwise the stay was relativity pretty good! Also very small and cramped rooms leads to no air circulation and no AC, so be prepared for that in the summer!

- Very small dorms and bathrooms - No actual welcoming speech or explanation of how things work at the hostel (towel, boxes under the beds, breakfast, activities, etc.) - Nice little kitchen - Very good location Would stay again because of the location and if I only need a bed to sleep as everything else you could expect from an hostel seems to be absent.

There's certainly a cleanliness factor that's a little uncomfortable. I unfortunately left after my first night -- there were a few male travelers comparing their bed bug bites on their chest and legs in the common room that just made me panic. The staff was really reassuring about regular bed bug treatments, and I totally trust them on that! It just seems to be unfortunate timing from when I was there to when the treatments happened

Good location, nice staffs and clean room.

Amazing location and you cant beat the price! Met so many wonderful people, and there's always some fun events happening either at the hostel or somewhere close. Never a dull moment! I will say that the rooms can get pretty warm at night when you're trying to sleep in a room with 8 other girls and no air conditioning. Other than that, an absolutely amazing place! I highly recommend.

• 6th Aug 2015

Great stay! Very clean and comfortable, and everyone there was very friendly and helpful. We felt very safe and it was a very easygoing environment. Very close to the Metro, which was great for Osheaga. Would definitely go back!

• 31st Jul 2015

Security was “meh”. Anyone could walk in during the day. Room is accessed by keycard (which worked sometimes). Bring your own lock to store your luggage. The hostel is located on Sherbrooke Est. VERY convenient. Metro “Sherbrooke” and “Berri-UQAM” are within walking distance. Bus #24 travels along Sherbrooke. Parks. Rue Saint Denis --> bars, grub, etc. Couldn’t distinguish who was staff or not. Social. Youthful. Bathroom was cleaned midday. 20CAD is reasonable for what is offered.

First of all there, is no sign at the house, so you're wondering if you're in the right place. The reception is shared with a hotel and there's about 20 steps you need to haul your luggage up only to be then told that the hostel is actually across the street. I had booked a 8 bed room only to be told that they only have a 14 bed room for girls. The room is in the basement and there is no AC, so it gets sticky over night. There was no shower curtain and there are no blackout curtains.

Cost wise the hostel is cheap, but you get what you pay for. There was only one toilet and shower for several rooms of people. There are keycards to get in to the hostel but the door always seemed to be open. The bed in the 8 person dorm was quite comfortable and each bed had its own outlet which was pretty convenient. They had a nice pancake breakfast with coffee in the morning which was nice. Hostel was right downtown, very good location. Not the cleanest place I've stayed.

Thanks for leaving a review! Though in your dorm, the washroom is on the outside of the room, there is actually at least one washroom allocated for each dorm (the 14-bed dorms have two or three, each). We're so glad you liked our beds, our breakfasts, and our location. All the best with your travelling!

Was clean, great location close to metro, yummy breakfast and great people.

You're too sweet. We love the kind words! And I do hope we see you again.

I had a fantastic stay here - staff was outstanding, incredibly friendly, helpful, professional. Everything else was good too, but the real asset of this place is the people working here! Thanks again, Aidan

• 2nd Jul 2015

Cheers! We appreciate it! I'm not going to say we have the best staff, because that would be bragging... but I'm pretty sure we have the best guests! Happy trails.

This was the best location-- smack dab in the city. The staff was really great-- they made yummy pancakes, made sure to make us feel included, and also were just generally super informative.

• 26th Jun 2015

Aw, thanks so much! We loved having you down! And we are quite proud of our location (and pancakes!). See you next time!

I stayed in the four beds dorm. It felt like a moist underground bunker and I'm happy I was the only person in the room or it would have been way, way too small. The wifi didn't work at any point, I used one of the above hotel's, but the connection was very, poor. The day I checked in, the room and bathroom had not been cleaned. This is a inexpensive hostel, which is great, but the overall quality is below avarage for hostels. It's fine for a night or two, but not longer.

Thanks for chiming in. If anyone notices the Wifi having troubles, I advise them to tell someone on staff. Usually, it is quite reliable, and temporary glitches can be easily fixed. Rooms are cleaned everyday, so I can't say what happened with yours. If there's anything we can do to address your less-than-pleasant stay, please don't hesitate to contact us. Happy travels!

If you want a cheap and short stay, go for it. Spend an extra few dollars and get a 4 bed dorm if available. You will have your own shower and toilet. Don't count on the lockers to hold all luggage as there are only a few and they're very small. Communal toilets had no toilet paper and no soap in the sink. Some rooms lacked curtains on windows. 3 wi-fi netwroks available but not were accessible from my room. Bring earplugs and toilet paper in case!

• 13th Jun 2015

Thanks for leaving your comments! They're really appreciated. The 4-bed dorm is being renovated so, like all the other dorms, each bed will have a locker so big you could crawl inside. I'm terrible sorry you ran out of toilet paper and soap in your bathroom. That's an awful oversight. There are always plenty of supplies available - extra paper, soap, shampoo, towels, hair dryers, etc. - for free, for all our guests. You can ask our 24hr reception if something seems to be missing. Thanks again!

Good location. Walking distance from the centre. Staff were not very friendly. Air con wasn't working and the guy on the desk was very blasé when asked about it for the second time. Didn't check just said yeah if u asked it must be done. Room was very small. Common area was not very clean. All surfaces were sticky

Thanks for writing! We're still a pretty young hostel, so we appreciate every commentary. As it's been so busy this summer, it's possible some attention to detail fell through the cracks during your stay. I apologize. We're always working hard and trying to find new ways to make the experience better for every guest, every day. Please do contact us if you'd like to discuss this with management. I'm glad you enjoyed our location! Happy roads.

They let poeple smoke pot in the Hostel, the music is super loud till late at night, there a small bathroom with a Super small sink. Its dirty as F!@#$. If you wana party i guess its better then sleeping on the street. I wouldnt recommanded that hostel at all

I'm so sorry you had a poor experience, but I'm really glad you wrote. We do thorough cleanings twice a day and insist on lowered volume after 10:30 PM, but it's possible something went wrong during your stay. Please don't hesitate to contact management if there's something we can do for you. I wish you all the best in you travels!

This is the first time i have ever written such a negative review over a hostel; though location is good, the rooms are not fit for humans: -A 2x2 meter room for 4 people- not even a place to put your bag, so need to be mounted altogether - room are on basement levels, no window or ventilation. Very stuffy and with a constant bad odder - only few, small lockers- outside of them rooms. Lockers are tiny and always full. - common area very much neglected with a sad feel to it.

• 7th Jun 2015
  • Israel

Thank you for your comments! Every criticism is helpful to us. You stayed in a 4-bed dorm, and those are currently under renovation to bring them in line with the other rooms. And if you ever choose to come back, you can see the new look and lighting scheme of the 901common space, which we've put a lot of work into. Guests should keep in mind that they can choose between two common spaces and three different patios to hang out on. Thank you again, and I really apologize that it was unpleasant.

I had an amazing stay at this hostel. The atmosphere is incredibly friendly, helped by the great young staff. One side is more of a party/ hang out hostel, while the other building is more quiet and reserved, so perhaps inquire as to which hostel you want to stay in.

• 2nd Jun 2015

Thanks for the kind words! We loved having you! Oh, and that's quite good advice for other guests. Yes, feel free to talk to reception about which building you'd rather be in, and they'll be happy to accommodate your preference. Bon voyage!