Hostelo the New Urban Reviews

901 Sherbrooke Est, Montreal, Canada

This was the best location-- smack dab in the city. The staff was really great-- they made yummy pancakes, made sure to make us feel included, and also were just generally super informative.

• 26th Jun 2015

I stayed in the four beds dorm. It felt like a moist underground bunker and I'm happy I was the only person in the room or it would have been way, way too small. The wifi didn't work at any point, I used one of the above hotel's, but the connection was very, poor. The day I checked in, the room and bathroom had not been cleaned. This is a inexpensive hostel, which is great, but the overall quality is below avarage for hostels. It's fine for a night or two, but not longer.

If you want a cheap and short stay, go for it. Spend an extra few dollars and get a 4 bed dorm if available. You will have your own shower and toilet. Don't count on the lockers to hold all luggage as there are only a few and they're very small. Communal toilets had no toilet paper and no soap in the sink. Some rooms lacked curtains on windows. 3 wi-fi netwroks available but not were accessible from my room. Bring earplugs and toilet paper in case!

• 13th Jun 2015

Good location. Walking distance from the centre. Staff were not very friendly. Air con wasn't working and the guy on the desk was very blasé when asked about it for the second time. Didn't check just said yeah if u asked it must be done. Room was very small. Common area was not very clean. All surfaces were sticky

They let poeple smoke pot in the Hostel, the music is super loud till late at night, there a small bathroom with a Super small sink. Its dirty as F!@#$. If you wana party i guess its better then sleeping on the street. I wouldnt recommanded that hostel at all

This is the first time i have ever written such a negative review over a hostel; though location is good, the rooms are not fit for humans: -A 2x2 meter room for 4 people- not even a place to put your bag, so need to be mounted altogether - room are on basement levels, no window or ventilation. Very stuffy and with a constant bad odder - only few, small lockers- outside of them rooms. Lockers are tiny and always full. - common area very much neglected with a sad feel to it.

• 7th Jun 2015
  • Israel

This is my first experience and stay. I am little bit nervous before my stay but found very friendly and homie environment.yGreat value for money.

• 1st Jun 2015

bit of a nightmare hostel and I've stayed in loads. The hostel rooms are decent and private however the rest of the hostel isn't. this hostel should be advertised as a live in hostel for those moving as it has an unwelcoming atmosphere for just those visiting. one toilet and shower between many isn't cool and the common room is seriously dirty and again unwelcoming, but i suppose you get what you pay for, however definitely does need a good clean!

Oi, I'm so sorry your experience wasn't pleasant! Please contact us directly if you think there's anything we can do to help make up for this! We have been working hard to keep everything in ship-shape for the dozens of travellers passing through every week, but it's hard to keep it always perfect, and reading reviews helps to identify problem days. So thank you so much for writing. I hope all your travels are colourful and wonderful.

The dorms were fine, although quite small with a lot of beds packed into one room. The common area was far to small and constantly full of loitering staff and their acquaintances, which would have been fine had the majority of them not been insufferable. I cooked there and enjoyed the atmosphere somewhat, but in short the hotel has tried to pack too many people into too little space and filled the remainder with unbearable tools.

This was a good choice for the first hostel I brought my sister to. It was very social and at the end of our first day there was a start of summer barbecue, which was great. It was a bit far from most of the major things to do, but in a good area, and right near a metro stop. Although I didn't like that they list free towels and parking on the Hostelworld page, when that is not true. I was not anticipating having to spend and extra 15CAD per night to park.

• 14th May 2015

Hey, thanks! I'm glad both you and your sis enjoyed your stay. The start of summer BBQ was too much fun. (Follow our social media if you want to keep up with all our events!) Towels are free, but you have to ask for them. You can pick them up at reception, or any other staff member will be happy to grab one for you. There are a number of free parking options but - this being downtown - it can be a little complicated to find the right ones. Please ask reception for advice. Thanks for writing!

One of th best hostel I've stayed at mainly because the community there was just géniale! I absolutley loved the atmosphere and will surely be back here when next I visit Montréal :)

I'm so glad you became a part of that great atmosphere! We have the most awesome guests, and spending time with them is always fun. Thank you so much! Until next time.

Worst youth hostel ever. Noise during all night, people watching TV or playing videogames next to the bedrooms badly insulated until 3 AM. The shower is extremely tiny and there is only one. I had to bend my legs because the bed was too small and I'm only 1m84. It's cheap but you won't sleep.

• 2nd May 2015

Thank you for taking the time to comment, and I'm so sorry you had an unfortunate experience. As a young hostel, we're still striving to act on everyone's suggestions and critiques. Guests are encouraged to alert our 24hr staff if other people aren't respecting the noise level restrictions. I encourage you to please reach out directly to me at dylan.hostelo@gmail.com if you think there is something I can do to make up for your unsatisfactory stay. Thank you again! Have great travels

I've stayed before and it was wonderful. This time the shower could use some cleaning. I'm sure it's an over site and will be repaired shortly. Super fun place. Steps from the Orange line subway.

• 27th Apr 2015

Thanks lots! Showers do get a lot of use, naturally, but we work hard to keep them as clean as possible throughout the stay. We'll see you next time!

Great place to stay, these people like to party! There was a party every night! We did not go with the intentions to party, it was a little difficult to get to sleep because we had to wait for everyone to leave (around midnight) before it would be quiet enough to sleep. We stayed in dorm C -the all female dorm- and it was great. There was 2 bathrooms but only one shower worked well. Each bed has a light and an electrical outlet. Sleeping mask & earplugs might be needed. Fridge available to use!

• 2nd Apr 2015

Hey, thanks for writing! I'm glad you had fun! The faulty shower has been repaired. We do understand that late partying is not always to everyone's liking, so we generally strive to have the volume lowered after 10:30 PM. If someone is really concerned about having a good night's rest we recommend they tell reception before checking in. That way, we can put you in a quieter room (we have two buildings, and one side is much calmer than the other). Thanks again! Best wishes!

I put everything excellent because it was an overall great experience. I stayed here three years ago and met some great people as well. The reason I put it's location as +++ is because it's a 10 minute walk from La Banquise, which is the best poutine shop in all of Canada and I've had my share of poutine. Pretty good place, sometimes the wifi is terrible, but they do some cool activities even during the winter and they serve breakfast now.

You're too sweet. I think you'll be happy to hear that we're in the process of getting a whole new Internet set-up in place, and the signal should be much stronger and more reliable than it used to be. Come check it out, and we can go for poutine!

I spent two nights at Hostelo the New Urban and I had a very pleasurable experience. The staff was very helpful and friendly. They provided a delicious pancake breakfast and coffee, and gave tips, answered questions about the best places to go, and how to get there. The hostel was very clean and quiet.

• 2nd Mar 2015

Thanks for the kind words! I love to hear that we've been helpful. Happy travels!

It was really nice

• 23rd Jan 2015

You're really nice! We do appreciate it. See you next time!