Hostelo the New Urban Reviews

901 Sherbrooke Est, Montreal, Canada

The breakfast was great!

Really great location for this hostel and the fact that Montreal is so easy to get around makes it even better! My dorm was full of awesome people, so that made my personal experience even more amazing!! Breakfast is really good and the organised activities that the hostel pass on are great fun and a brilliant way to meet people. A great placed to stay in Montreal!

This was a great stay and a good value.

• 6th Sep 2014

The hostel is comfortable aamd the breakfast is good. The common room is in the centre of the building next to the roomas so it can be noisy. Girls make sure you book a female dorm.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay! The hostel is located in the Latin quarter, within walking distance of all major attractions. The staff was fantastic (hi Dylan and Cecilia!) and they always ran fun activities in the evening. It's very easy to meet people because the common areas are fantastic. Reception is located in the hotel across the street, which is a tiny bit confusing at first. Overall, I really enjoyed my time at this hostel and plan on returning soon!

• 31st Aug 2014

I had a really bad experience in this hostel. It is a party hostel... I read that before I booked but it was so loud that I couldn't sleep untill 2AM. The bathroom was dirty and the person who welcomed me was rude. I was really disapointed with the activities too. The bed was unconfortable. I wouldn't recomend this place to anyone.

Staff is not that kind, he makes me waiting for 15 min at the outside of the hostel without calling back at night! This hostel is dirty. But the best thing is location.

Thanks for taking the time to write this. As a young hostel, all feedback is super important to us. I'm so sorry you didn't have a pleasant time! Perhaps there was a misunderstanding with the staff member? We apologize for any inconvenience you had. All our rooms are cleaned twice daily, but sometimes, with full dorms, it can be difficult to keep it all immaculate, at all times. Please get in touch with us if you think there's anything we can do to address the problems with your stay. Thanks!

I loved this place so much! People are friendly the staff are the best and the place is clean and very tidy for a young people hostel.... The pancakes are just the best perk ever, I would stay here forever.

• 28th Aug 2014
  • Mexico

Thank you tonnes for taking the time to write this! We loved having you, and please do come back anytime. Some nice hot pancakes will be waiting for you. Happy travels!

There was no sense of community in this hostel. I think that's because more attention is given to the hotel portion. It was also frustrating that there was no place to put your things in the shower stalls and that there are no paper towels or air dryers by the sinks.

• 26th Aug 2014

Thanks for your feedback! We do try to foster a sense of community, with our daily breakfasts and nightly events, but it can be hard to reach everyone. All shower stalls have ledges, but not all have racks. Most of our washrooms are equipped with linen towels, not paper towels, and if you ever need more, just ask! All towels are free.

This is such an amazing hostel! You have to check in at Hotel Paris across the road, there are no signs for the hostel. Lovely staff, the breakfast pancakes are awesome and overall great atmosphere. You get clean sheets with your bed, the rooms are tidy - definitely good value for money! It is walking distance to most major attractions, I like this hostel very much and would definitely stay again. For the locks you have to bring your own!

It's a clean, comfortable hostel close to Metro Station. Old Montreal is walking distance and the lovely Lafontaine Park just 2 blocks away. The pancake breakfast provided by the staff is great and makes it easy to socialise. Has an outdoor community area and a blackboard telling about what's going on in the city. The beds are comfortable and clean, the lockers are big enough. Bring your own locker! No curtains on the beds but I hung up my towel instead. Good stay.

It was so nice of you to write this review! Thanks! We're glad you could be a part of our awesome first year. We're going to keep working to make it better and better, and every review helps! Hope we see you again the next time you're passing through Montreal. Thanks again!

Love the atmosphere of the hostel and it was great that each bed had a lamp, plug socket and locker for luggage. A couple of extra showers/toilets would be good but wasn't too much of an issue.

Thank you for this! For sure, you can never have too many washrooms in a bustling hostel. We added a couple extra over the course of the spring, and we plan to put in a couple more in the winter. I'm glad you enjoyed our "privacy pod" bed designs. We figure that, no matter how much fun you're having with a big group, it's nice to have your own space to retire into, charge your electronics, and maybe read a book. Happy travelling!

Had a great time in Montreal, not only because of the beautiful city but because of the friends I made while staying at the hostel. It was a really warming environment were everyone socializes in the smaller common area. The big pile pancakes was awesome to wake up to every morning. Will be staying here if I return to Montreal.

Thank you for the nice words! We're looking forward to seeing you the next time around. Pancakes will be waiting!

This was an amazing place to stay. I had the most wonderful time. The staff are amazing people and really willing to go out of their way to help. Everything is within walking distance and lots of good recommendations. The hostel itself has wonderful common places! A great great time :)

• 12th Aug 2014

Well, we really appreciate this! We're proud of our friendly staff, and it's nice to see all the kind words about their work. It was lovely having you. See you next time, I hope!

The foto of the property advertised is misleading. It is HOTEL that is shown on the picture, not the hostel property. Hostel is on the opposite side of the street and it is actually only 1 floor of the higher building. When you enter the hostel, you find yourself directly in the common room combined with kitchen. The room is always crowded with people (as one would expect), but given this is the only way to get to your room / bathroom, it is very inconvenient. CONTINUE

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write. It is important guests realize that we have two different buildings, on either side of Sherbrooke Street. The check-in is at 901 (the one in the photo) which contains both Hotel de Paris and Hostelo. But some of Hostelo is also across the street, at 874 Sherbrooke, and that's the building you were in. The common spaces are centrally situated, so every dorm can access them, and we're sorry you found it inconvenient.Thanks again for your comments!

This was a OK place. Had a good time.

wish i knew the ac was behind the curtain!! other than that great private bathroom and amazing atmosphere. good location too!

• 19th Jul 2014
  • India

Many thanks for writing! The dorms do have air conditioning, and we're sorry you didn't realize. We advise anyone who's unsure about the facilities to ask our staff, and we'll happily help you locate what you need. Thanks for the kind words, and happy travels!

Nice place small and friendly the boys that work there are all very helpful and try to get you involved with activities. Breakfast is a bonus fan yum! The rooms are quite small though and if you want a good night sleep be prepared to not always get one as it's a bit of a party hostel

We a great stay! The staff was very friendly and the pancakes were delicious.

We loved having you! Hope you can come back. Thanks!

This place was INCREDIBLE! The staff are wonderfully nice and welcoming, and always have fun activities planned for guests! The pancakes are delicious every morning, and eating with the other travelers helps foster a warm, comfortable atmosphere and a great community! We met so many interesting people that way. Overall, I would recommend this hostel to any young travelers looking for a good time - my friends and I are already planning our return visit next year! :)

• 15th Jul 2014