Hosteria Rose Cottage Reviews

Mojandita, Otavalo, Ecuador

A lot of inconsistencies between the various websites about this property..prices for meals, drinks etc. Significantly higher..WiFi only good in a couple of areas. No free coffee/ tea nor TV in cottage sitting area. A lovely location, and things went well once we had ironed out the creases.

• 24th Nov 2015

Superb location, with a good breakfast and evening meals. Staff only spoke Spanish, but that's my fault not theirs. Had some issues with my booking, was put in the wrong room and had to move and twice had cold shower. Good value for money, great walks straight from the hostel.

Nice cozy and quiet place nested in the mountains. Staff is super friendly and helpful. Slept on a foam mattress with lots of blankets and was super warm despite the cooler temperatures. The hot water bottle was a nice touch to warm up the bed at bedtime! (ask for it in the restaurant)

Rose Cottage has beautiful views and is a great place to relax. It costs 3$ for every taxi ride down into or up from the city though. As a solo traveller, it was really hard to socialize and the taxi rides become expensive. So I decided to have the expensive (9$) dinner at the cottage, because the taxi would have made any dinner in town more expensive than that. But for 9$ I was quite disappointed with what I got...that was definitely overprice.

My girlfriend and I reserved a room from the Rose Cottage online for a fixed price per room. When we got to the location we were told by the staff that we would be charged over twice the price that we had reserved the room for because there was two of us. Unfortunately, we were never asked during the reservation process how many people the room was for. When we tried to find a solution the staff could not negotiate because the owner lives in England and when called was absolutely unhelpful.

we are very surprised by this review, you booked a single room through hostelworld and arrived expecting that 2 people could sleep there for the same price as one. The hostelworld booking system is very clear, it shows the number of people who wish to stay when you book, but apparently you did not understand this.

The reason to stay here is the beautiful location. the wifi wasn't working and the electricity was off for the two days that I was there but I still managed to enjoy it which says something about the place and location.

Thanks for the comment, we are glad you enjoyed the place, sounds like you were able to relax in our beautiful gardens, maybe went for a walk to the nearby Taxopamba waterfall or enjoyed a game of tennis at 2800 metres? You were unlucky, we do get power cuts occasionally, now have a reserve of own electricity from batteries charged by solar panels. The wifi is also working fine, in strong winds/rain/powercuts it can be interrupted, but most of time is great.

A tranquil oasis of calm in a stunning location, that has easily one of the best views I've seen from a hostel. The food was great too, if a little pricey, and the staff friendly and helpful. Rooms did get a little cold at night though.