Hotel Guelfa Reviews

Via Guelfa n� 28, Florence, Italy

One day when i came back, I found another guest in my room. The reception consisted of an old man who couldn't speak a word in english, he tried to angrily take my keys from me, there was no one to explain in english what's going on & where my belongings are. The owner only bothered to arrive to explain once I threatened to call the police. Apparently she forgot that I've paid for 2 more nights! Got my stuff back & new room. Extremely poorly handled situation tho. The new guest was shocked too.

The staff were very friendly however they only spoke strictly italian which makes things slightly difficult if your a backpacker. The hotel was in a great location. I didnt like the fact we had to pay extra for an upgrade that they gave us because the aircon wasnt working in the other room.

Just avoid this place and stay at a REAL hotel. This hotel advertises there is air conditioning. Well.... I recently stayed at this hotel when temperatures were 40C/104F. Turning on the air conditioner in our room brought the temperature down to maybe 30C/95F. Where I come from, that's not air conditioning and I can't sleep when it's that hot. The staff refused to acknowledge it was broken, claiming it was brand new (it wasn't) and it was working (it wasn't). Not worth the argument.

The staff were very pleasant, and the owners wife was keen to practice her english with us - we didn't mind at all. There was noise in the street below our window on two occasions- even some fire-crackers were set off, and we are still not sure if there were celebrations of some sort. the noise didn't seem to belong to the management so we didn't try and stop it.. Breakfasts were good, and the room quite nice.

• 11th Jun 2015

The location was great and the staff was nice but the air conditioner did not work and I specifically booked a room with air conditioning. I could have found a much cheaper place had I known that a/c was not an option.

• 19th May 2015