Hotel Layne Reviews

545 Jones Street, San Francisco, USA

Not sure what the negative reviews are about - we found it a very comfortable, clean place to stay. Checking in after midnight was quick and th e young man behind the desk was very pleasant. Contrary to other reviews the wifi was free and we were able to access it in our room. Breakfast was basic but there are plenty of cafes very close to the hotel if you required something more substantial.

• 25th Oct 2013
  • Couple, 41+

Worst hotel experience ever! Don't go here! Terrible neighborhood with a lot of drug addicts and homeless people. The room was awful with a terrible smell and uncomfartable bed, there were no sink in the bathroom, no internet, the elevator couldnt go down and the breakfast was only a cookie. The only positive things was that the staff was nice besides one grumpy old man and it's central.

My confirmation said 2 beds but when we arrived it was one large bed. My receipt showed my deposit and upon arrival, I needed to pay a spcific amount, but when I showed up, they did not include the taxes on the online receipt show it was a little more than expected. My confirmation said breakfast included, but it was just a danish an cofee. When we went doen for breakfast, it did not have juice or water. There weren't any open windows to air out the dusty old smell.

• 12th Apr 2013

First, it was very dirty and the service was terrible. I strongly recommend you guys not to stay here even one night. It was the most horrible hostel I've stayed. The security was also very poor. IT WAS TOTALLY TRASH!!!!!!

• 13th Aug 2010
  • South Korea

This is very old building. If you like to stay in old building, you will like the old style elevator and some old qualities in the building. However, it has some strange smell and tv channels were not well known channels. Bed cover wasn't clean and I felt my skin condition got worse because of the bad air quality... Washing bowl in the room is dirty,,, so I was very hasitant to brush my teeth.. One good thing was breakfast.. Also, location was not bad.

• 6th Aug 2010
  • South Korea

We washed everything so I don't why you feel the sheets were dirty. And the sink is not dirty it's the old fashion kind.

I stayed one week at hotel Layne Nov 16th through 23rd. Caution: The hotel staff tried to charge me a $250 \" deposit\" upon check in on my credit card. Also the wireless internet is not free as advertised, it\'s $6 a day or $20 a week. The room was very cold, not heated at night. Apart from that the location is excellent, the room is very clean and overall the stay was quite pleasant. Just be prepared for that \" deposit\". I refused to pay it.

The hotel was very clean and the location is close to bus lines, BART, etc. The neighborhood is not perfect or high-end but has no suprises if you used to cities. My only complaint about the hotel was that I had reserved a one-bed room for a friend and I and they only had two-bed rooms available. This would have been great, except for the fact that we were emphatically instructed that we WERE NOT to use both beds (even as a storage surface for our posessions) since we had only paid for one! Huh?

This is a great hotel with friendly staff. The rooms and facilties are basic but clean. The rating of poor for fun is just a reflection of it being a nice quiet hotel. Lovely stay.

A very good location with a great husband and wife running it. From the outside it look like a posh hotel, things soon change inside. Very very old rooms with torn curtains and broken chairs although it did have very fetching wolf blankets. Not great value really, but interesting nonetheless.

Good location (although others have written it's in a dodgy area). It's actually a close walk to Union Sq and only 1 block away from expensive hotels. There are some homeless people and drug addicts but you get than in any city in the US. Nice clean comfortable room. The lady behind the counter was friendly but the others not so much. Overall, it was a good choice.

Well priced hotel for middle of San Fran good value for money. The area below it known as the tenderloin is quite dodgey which is fine if you are travelling with a friend or group but as a lone female traveller I found it quite intimidating

good location, only 5 mins walk from union square and public transport links. room was comfortable with tv, bathroom was also above average with a good shower. our room was also cleaned daily. would recommend this hostel!

Very well located within a few blocks of Union Square. Family run hotel and the staff are very helpful.

Hotel Layne was fantastic. We were expecting sketchy conditions, because the price is so great, but the hotel was safe, friendly, clean, and home like. If you stay here, make sure to ask the staff about the nearby hookah bar that the owner of the hotel runs as well. The food is great, and the shisha is exceptional! We'll definitely be going back to Hotel Layne next time we're in San Fran.

Good hotel for the price, rooms recently refurbished. Excellent location, very central. Nice staff. You even get a light breakfast.

Nice and clean. Restrooms are way to small and I booked two people in a room and they didn't even have two bedsheets for us... one evening we waited 2 hours till them managed to bring us a second one. But the location is great!

The staff were very helpful and friendly. Good central location.

This is a great choice for couples or budget travelers. Comfy big bed, modern bathroom, fridge, microwave, big TV, all decor in good condition and very helpful, friendly staff. Located between the shopping area of Union square and the slightly dodgy Ternderloin district you have to avoid approaching from downtown but it\'s very secure with 24 desk. Very good value for money.

I was on a business trip in San Francisco and needed a cheap place to stay around Union Square. I was pleasantly surprised to find Hotel Layne. A wee bit sceptical at first, although it had good reviews online, I ended up with an extremely comfortable stay in Hotel Layne. The rooms were cleaned and the beds made everyday. I had a room with an en suite bathroom which was very clean. There was a desk and chair and they were comfortable enough that I could work on my presentation at ease. I only wish that they had free wireless internet access although the available network was not very expensive (5.95 a day). All said, I would highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for a budget hotel around Union Square (four blocks), but don't want to deal with the sloppiness of some of the cheaper places.

Many homeless people wandering around the building.

View all San Francisco Hotels