Hotel Mikado Reviews

1-2-11, Taishi, Nishinari-ku, Osaka, Japan

They ran out of dorm beds so i booked the single room to myself. Its more of a hotel than and backpacker hostel feel to it. Close to supermarket-- tip: after 8pm, shop there as they discount their meals at that time.

Overall was nice as the Hotel is just 3-5 mins walk from a subway station. Rooms small but tidy. Staff nice too. Common area is a homely setting but during our two-night stay we didnt have chance to interact with others. One weird thing, not sure if it's a cultural thing(forgive me for my ignorance) or the design of this particulat hotel - the shared washrooms had "standing toilets" for male uncovered, meaning ladies can actually see men peeing..(of coz i dun mean deliberate peeping) bit awkward

Will stay again, everything is great from location to staff and room. Very affordable with mostly every included at no cost. Get a single room it worth it. Ended up staying 2 nights.

Great location and price for a private room which was clean. However, bathrooms were dirty.

• 29th Nov 2014

Very nice place; extremely friendly to woman travellers. There is a woman only rest room on the top floor. The room and rest rooms were clean. microwave on the floor I live. probably each floor has one. the location is close to Tennoji Station where I took JR to close-by cities. very nice location

The best place I've been in Japan. Great value for the money and the Japanese spa is a great asset after a day walking. Highly recommended.

• 18th Nov 2014
  • Spain

Thank you to Ms Yuki Kyoi for helping us book a night bus -Rima&Louisa

While the place is old, it's still good enough for the money that you're paying. I wouldn't say unsafe but it might get a bit uncomfortable seeing drunks during the night. That said, there are quite a lot of izakaya around the hostel for those who are interested. In addition, it's really close to the station and there's a Family Mart just around the corner. Lastly, you can actually purchase tickets to Kansai Airport directly from the front desk, which is really convenient.

I went there with my husband as we arrive late at night and the hotel is located near to Shin-imamiya Station, direct train from airport via Nankai Line. I booked the double room but we were being given the quad room (1 double decker bed ,1 single bed and 1 roll-away). Nonetheless, we are quite happy with our stay in Hotel Mikado as the staffs were nice and helpful. Our room was also relatively clean. The hotel provides free green tea and the kitchen was also very convenient for our use.

• 3rd Nov 2014
  • Malaysia

My room had a weird smell. I requested for a change but the other room had the same smell. Both male and female share the same toilet and the male urinals were lined along the walls beside the cubicles. The only female toilet is at the 8th floor so it's inconvenient. There were only 2 bath cubicles available in the eight storey building. During peak hours, you'll have to queue to use the bathroom. On a fairer note, the bath cubicles were clean and towels and toiletries were provided daily.

The place is okay in general, looks quite old and my room had that cigarette smell... good price though. Good connection to the main tourist area. HOWEVER, it has a hot spring which adds a few points!

Very inexpensive hotel with private rooms and easy access to the subway line. Only stayed one night but was able to book that day, borrow a free bicycle and have a pleasant pass through Osaka. Neighborhood is a little rough, but thats relative coming from Chicago, USA.

• 21st Oct 2014

I didn't actually get to stay at Hotel Mikado. Instead, my family and I was transferred to a neighbouring hostel called Hotel Raizou. They were in the middle of renovating the front desk, so the atmosphere seemed a bit hectic and disorganized. Despite the lackluster look, they had impressive facilities, including free towels and yukata, free internet, a free sento spa, a mini-fridge and TV in our own room. They even had discounted tickets for other nearby destinations and day trips.

Ideal place if you need a bit of a break from hostel dormitories.... Excellent location, excellent staff and they lend bicycles for free. Cycling around the sights and delights of Osaka is highly recommended... Kampai!

Pros: Subway station, convience stores and cheap restaurants are close by. Tennoji park and zoo are walking distances from the hotel Worth it if you're on a budget Cons: It is in a low class area but it is still safe to walk around at night. if you don't know japanese then it will be hard to ask directions to go to tourist areas. no common place to meet other people in the hotel. All in all, not a bad place but if you are looking for a place near downtown then look for someplace else

This place was great for the budget minded traveler. The staff were friendly and helpful whenever I talked to them, the facilities of the hotel were clean, and the location is great - near two major subway & JR lines.

Some people smoked in room , I could smell it in none-smoke room. It made a little pesky.

• 28th Sep 2014
  • Taiwan

Sauna and hot tub in the hostel. That's the best perk, after a long day trekking the city it's pretty awesome. Plus staff are super friendly and helpful

Friendly place very helpful front desk.

Despite no smoking allowed, my room reeked exceedingly heavily of cigarette smoke. Either people had been doing it in the room often, or it was because the outdoor smoking area was directly opposite my door. Otherwise, very basic cheap place. You get what you pay for. Close to the nerd area, so there were others like me in their own tiny rooms. Ok common area but never saw many people hanging out. Showers are only located on two of the floors; right next to reception lobby or the next floor.