Hotel & Hostel Colombo For Backpackers Reviews

Viale Antonio Paolucci, Venice Mestre, Italy

cold water, wifi does not work, rooms look like prison

• 21st Nov 2015
  • Belgium

It's clean, close of train station. The price was excellent. Just disliked the shower, wasn't good one. The cover window doesn't close.

Worst hostel and restrooms smell like urine . It looks like correction facility Hostel world should remove this from listing

This hostel is actually a hotel and has common bedrooms with many beds. I´ve stayed in a 4-bed and it was great. Clean, nice, and close to the train station (5 minutes walking). No common area, though. Only bad thing, the staff recommended to take a bus to Venezia, but it is so much faster going by train. Don´t take the bus!

Remember the kids in school who were ok but never seemed to have a clue? They are now working at Hotel Colombo. "Excuse me, is there a map of the city?" "Huh? Uh, no." "Is there breakfast in the morning?" "I don't know." "Is there a bar in the neighborhood with wifi?" "I don't know." Staff were all incredibly out of it, as if they were not even working at a hostel. No toilet paper in the lobby bathrooms for 24 hours. Location is brilliant and it's super cheap. Bring mosquito repellant.

Nice stay. Bathroom is small. It's very near to Mestre Train Station. Staff is very nice! I liked it.

helpful receptionists and nice atmosphere in the lobby

• 10th Sep 2015
  • Montenegro

Extremely dirty. Mosquitoes in room. Horrible atmosphere. Bathrooms smelled like urine.

Management wasn't helpful. Only wifi in the lobby, not in any rooms. I woke up with one morning with 40+ mosquito bites. The entire ceiling was dotted with them. Would never stay here again, even if someone paid me.

Very lovely and helpful staff. I enjoyed my stay.

• 29th Aug 2015

The A/C doesn't work properly. The beds are squeaky and it's not very clean. And it's not that cheap for a hostel on Venice Mestre (mainland). There are better rates for HOTELS in Venice (island). I had to stay in the mainland only because I have an early train the day after.

The hostel was a neat and tidy hostel that situates very close to the venice mestre train station. Rooms are very clean, and complete with air conditioning (which is always a good thing in the summer). The shower n wc is also clean, however the room is a little dark. Actually speaking of which the hotel/hostel is a little dark too. My corridor was not lighted during the day, only at night and theres barely any natural lighting, but it's a minor issue.

There was no air conditioning so I had to sleep with a cold damp towel wrapped around my head or else I think I would have passed out

Hey, our stay was good! Everything was fine. Wifi only in the reception area but thats all i needed! Value for money. You get what you pay for.

• 20th Jul 2015

Colombo was fine. It was pretty sparse, but I knew that going in. Leaving your key at the reception isn't the best but I didn't have any problems...not to mention a lot of the other hostels I've stayed job require that. Rooms are clean. Air conditioning! Not the best location but they can't really control that. Booked this less than 5 days in advance and had a great time. Transport to and from Venice is no problem with a nearby bus station.

The toilet in our room stank of urine, like it hadn't been cleaned in a while. The toilets down stairs by the reception were poor as well, both men's and women's toilets didn't have toilet paper in them, there was no bin in the ladies toilet; some one had stuffed their sanitary towel in the toilet paper holder. The staff weren't friendly, or that helpful, we didn't feel we could ask them any questions or really approach them.

nice plan if you want to go in venice and don't pay lot's of money in vaporetto (7,5€ per trip). The hotel is just next to the train station of Mestre. The train ticket for santa Lucia-Venice is 1.25€ and there is a train almost every 5 minutes (trip of 15 min). Also there is a big supermarket (Aliper) with normal prices not like in the center of Venice. If you are taking the boat for Greece or another ferry from Fusina Terminal Port the bus station is just outside the Hotel. Have a nice stay!

The hostel's off the island, but for the price this was worth it. Since it was so close to the Venezia Mestre train station it was really easy to get from there to the island. The staff seemed kind of unfriendly--more or less helpful, but they didn't seem too happy about it. Wi-fi only worked in the common area, which was a bit of a pain. Rooms weren't anything fancy, but definitely sufficient.

Don't stay here unless you're desperate, I only did cause I knew I'd be getting into Mestre late and didn't want to have to navigate Venice in the dark. There was water dripping from the ceiling because the air conditioner broke so the floor was flooded and there were no window screens so I got tons of bug bites. I was told I would be in an all female dorm, but when I woke up the next morning there was a man in one of the beds! I could also hear some sort of animal in the bathroom ceiling.

The Hostel is hard to find, especially when youre there for the first time. There is no information how to get into the city, no maps on the reception. Unfriendly and strange reception staff. You're asked to leace the key on the reception, where everyone can just take it and get into your room. Rooms are spartanic. The bed is clean though.

• 10th Jun 2015