Houseboat Waterloo Reviews

Dijksgracht 8a, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Had a fantastic stay here. The owner Joanne was up to welcome us even though we arrived at about 1am- even gave us some bread and other breakfast things so we wouldn't have to go shopping. The boat is roomier than it looks in the photos, and was always warm too (I was worried we'd be freezing). Th views are great- tbh I'd come back for the location alone. So happy we chose this over the hostels. Definitely recommended.

• 4th Apr 2014

I found the place comfortable and clean, and the owner very friendly and helpful. I'd recommend this place to stay.

• 20th Mar 2014
  • Spain

Joanne was an amazing host. She greeted us when we arrived, helped us with the luggage, even brought a map and gave us some tips where to go and what to do. She was always there if we needed anything and we could also check out any time we wanted. Even when I forgot something there, she offered to send it me by mail. The houseboat is amazing, very cosy and nice atmosphere. Definitely something different than staying at a hotel. I will stay here again next time I come to Amsterdam.

• 14th Mar 2014
  • Austria

An all round perfect experience! We were very lucky with the weather so it wasn't remotely cold inside the boat, however the heating did work brilliantly as we used it one morning. The decor was cute and personal and the location was ideal, it isn't too close to the noisier areas so is a very peacful place to be. The lady who owns the boat was an absolute delight too! I'd highly recommend this to people who want somewhere to recline in between their magical Amsterdam adventures!

We absolutely loved it and definitely plan on staying here again! Bottle of wine and juice on our arrival, the beds were super comfy and it was lovely and warm. Opportunity to use bikes as well, will definitely take this offer up next time now we know how to get around the city!

• 13th Feb 2014

pros: Joanne is amazing and really kind. Her houseboat more than her! every comfort and spectacular atmosphere we stayed 2 nights and she rented us 3 bikes for free for 3 days xD staying there (in a private houseboat) + bike = 35€/night per person in Amsterdam city centre, do i have to say anything more? cons: wifi coverage was not excellent

• 18th Jan 2014

It was awsome!!!! Joanne is very handsome and very cool! We were 3 guys and our stay at the boat was great! It's very close to the red district and the centre. We also used bycicles to is cover the city :) and for free!! Very recommended hostel, also for families! Joanne: hope see you soon :)

• 1st Jan 2014

Had a brilliant time on Houseboat Alternatief, bearing in mind that this place costs less than the average 14 person dorm room to stay in - something that I think other reviewers haven't taken into account. Owners were great, gave a shot of their bikes and some beers on arriving. Really comfortable and fun stay very close to the centre of town. Would definitely to back. Bonus; there's a great pub round the corner with reasonable jugs of beer and good food!

Alternatief house boat gives you this pride and happy feeling to have found an accommodation among lots of crowdy (and durty!) expensive hostels. Almost want to keep it secret as if it would keep its authenticity! We have been warmly welcomed by Joanne, it was "home" within a minute. She has even offered us to use bikes and canoe! We stayed in a "flat" for 3 or 4 people, there is also a bigger one, both very bright and comfy. Thanks again Joanne! See you soon :)

• 12th Jul 2013

We we're 3 girls from Germany and stayed at the Houseboat for 2 nights of our Europe-trip. good location (close to the Central Station) super friendly host and neighbours we got 3 bikes to use für free and 3 kajaks to go around the "Grachten" small kitchen with supplyment comfortable beds enough space in general it is a real boat and you can sometimes feel the water floating when you sit still exactly as described on the internet - free wifi did sometimes not work wel

• 7th Jul 2013

The houseboat is absolutely perfect for a stay in Amsterdam! It's easy to reach from central station and it's just a short walk or bike ride into city center. So between exploring the city and going out at night you can relax on deck and enjoy Amsterdam atmosphere. Communication with our hostess was friendly and very helpful. I'd recommend the houseboat to anyone who wants to avoid the typical crowded hostel and spend a pleasant weekend in Amsterdam!

• 5th Jul 2013

Me & 3 friends spend the weekend here for the Awakeningsfestival. I couldn't be more happy about this place. If you want a chill spot to crash while in Amsterdam, not the hussle and bussle of a crowded hostel or a hotel but just a nice, chill neighbourhood, I highly recommend this. The owner is very kind and lives next door but she doesn't bother you at all. It's only a 10-minute walk from Centraal Station and you get great value for your money. Very tidy. Stoner friendly as well ;-)

• 28th Jun 2013
  • Belgium

The "boat" was part of a boat and nothing like the photo shown - that was really disappointing for our expectations - lucky we were fit enough to access it across another boat without coming to a mishap! Handle fell off the Toilet door 1st night - kitchen not particularly clean with part used food packets etc. from presumably other guests! Wifi only worked up at the wheelhouse. No TV - all in all a disappointing stay tho' Joanne the owner was a pleasant person. Electrical cords ? safe

It was a nice experiençe staying at waterloo houseboat. Really good ambiance, in a good zone of Amsterdam. I felt likeI was in my own house.

the owner was so nice and helpful, we were 3 and we really enjoyed our staying there! I personally recommend to have an experience in a boat house,( expecially if you're visiting Amsterdam), 'cause it's pretty awesome!

• 20th Apr 2013

Thank you again for everything! the french couple :-)

A very good stay

• 22nd Feb 2012

Online the house boat looks great but we were very disappointed by the first night. The bed room has two skylights, we tried to open the blinds across the one over the bed to let more light in and dust, cobwebs and spiders came out. That night a woman was pounding on our other skylight and looking which was when we realized anyone could see into the room and it had no curtains. We also were literally locked twice in because our keys did not unlock the door from the inside. NOT WORTH THE MONEY

First I was afraid I might be cold but the heating is also great. It was a fantastic weekend with a lot of hospitality! We had breakfast for the first day, a bottle of wine, beer and we even got offered two bikes for free :)

• 9th Dec 2011