Houston International Hostel Reviews

5302 Crawford St., Texas, Houston, USA

This place should be leveled. Dirty, nasty, old, and unsafe. I wouldn't recommend to anyone. Hostels I've stayed at before are 5 star hotels comparing with this one. But what do u expect for $17 per night?

strange office hours--Call ahead to be sure someone will be there. Good location and great price. Only big complaint is a fellow guest of the hostel who didn't seem to know about the unspoken rules of staying in a hostel and how to act in such an environment.

There were more people there for long term accommodation than backpackers so was difficult to meet other travelers, and the rooms were air conditioned so much that it was freezing at night. Close to bus stop though which was simple to navigate

• 9th Jun 2014
  • New Zealand

One of the best decisions I've made for lodging! Most of these categories I can't rate highly enough...polite, helpful staff, amazing (and SAFE!) location, very clean and well maintained facilities. I travel to Houston often, and you can be I will be staying here every time!

• 31st May 2014

Absolutely no security. No keys to the rooms so they are left open 24/7 and the front door until 11pm. No one covers reception from 10am until 5pm, we were shocked by this and very annoyed when we arrived from an overnight train at 1pm and couldn't check in and no staff anywhere. When we came back at 5 the reception staff were very rude. Also there is no sign outside the hostel so just looks like a house so tricky to find.

Awesome hostel. The negatives points is that if you want to use Wi-Fi you have to pay extra and the lockers too. Also there isn't lockers inside the rooms. I recommend you bring a chain and a padlock to look your things in your bed (it's possible). There is a interval that the office works (8-10am and 5-10pm) and you just can do the check in in this hours, but I arrived before 5 and there was someone there that allowed I taken a shower. Staff people are really polite and helpful. I recommend!

First of all, I when I went to check in after I booked through this website the people at the desk changed the price. It was only by a $1 or two but they said the hostelworld price was incorrect. Having just driven 17 hours, I was to tired to argue Secondly, there is absolutely no security whatsoever. A person could literally walk right off the street and go straight upstairs to do whatever he or she likes, (steal, take a shower, slit your throat), there is nothing to stop them.

Would be much better if the rooms are cleaner and if lockers are provided.

Thank you very much for your constructive criticism! We are happy to have hosted you during your stay in Houston. While the dormitories are cleaned twice daily, we will work harder to make sure your next stay is more comfortable. We do have lockers for hire on or back porch.

Very old place, a few renos wouldn't go astray. Everything inside is just as old as the outside looks. However, in saying that, my room was clean and comfortable and the staff and guests were all friendly. Not a typical hostel like most I have stayed in. Majority of guests were middle aged or older (some very old people). But being close to TMC I suspect they were having treatment there. It's what you expect for $15/night

• 7th Mar 2014

Thank you very much for your constructive criticism. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay! We are proud to host many people from many different walks of life, and we encourage travel enthusiasts of any age to join us, whether they are taking in the sights of the city, just dropping in for the night or even getting medical treatment.

the bathrooms could be cleaned better

While the bathrooms do get a clean up twice each day, we do appreciate your constructive criticism and will do better to make sure your next stay with us is a lot better! Thank you for staying with us at the Houston International Hostel, we hope to see you again in the future!

Nice People, nice place very charming, evrything enjoyable the only restriction is the cleanliness, I was bitten by fleas each time I slept there.

• 21st Dec 2013

We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us! While we clean twice daily and throughout the night, we will work harder to make sure your stay is more comfortable. While we are sorry that you had an incident at the Hostel, we do perform daily inspection for fleas and other pests. We hope your next stay with us is even more enjoyable!

Nice place for a brief stay

• 14th Oct 2013
  • India

Drifter jacks is a great place to stay. Everything is brand new and clean. The beds are amazingly comfortable for a hostel. The staff are friendly and knowledgable about the local area and will often join you for an evening out. The place looks stylish thanks to the murals on every wall. All of which have been painted by local artists. The location is great. Two minutes walk to university shops bars and restaurants and 30 seconds from a $1 bus downtown. This is the place to stay in Austin!

• 5th Oct 2013

It was an ok place, it is in the museum district and there is a lot of great art and exhibits to see. It isn't to far from downtown and the trains. My only real complaint was the bedbugs, they did all the could to try to get rid of them but I was covered head to tow in bits when I left. The staff was great about it and thoroughly cleaned the room.

• 26th Sep 2013

This hostel is awesome!!! The staff are very nice and it is very inexpensive at only $15 a night. It was a comfortable stay with convenient kitchen, huge living room with 3 big couches, and a front yard porch with a grill area and outside tables. I would deff recommend it!!!

• 27th Aug 2013

The operating hours are rediculous, very un accomodationg, the website asked me what time i was checking in but the office hours dont reflect this. I waited over four hours to be checked in. No internet avaliable, no phone, kitchen rules were rediculous, too many rules, no working lockers, no where to hang out washing, all appliances in kitchen were old. Ols signs up, that werent relevant to current situations. Bathrooms were terrible, water barely runs from taps and toilets need an upgrade.

• 23rd Aug 2013

The building is substandard, and not safe for habitation. The upstairs bathroom leaks into the downstairs bathroom to the point that the ceiling is collapsing downstairs. The only effort at repairing the problem was to nail up new drywall, but gaping holes in the ceiling still exist. I can only imagine how much mold and mildew is up there. The rest of the building is not much better. The house and the property are cluttered. All in all, this place is pretty frightening.

• 21st Jul 2013

The room was very dirthy and full of bed bugs!!!! Don't go there!

• 31st May 2013
  • Switzerland

Rooms are cleaned every day, and during each shift. Beds are thoroughly inspected by staff each day and after any guest leaves the Hostel. We do hope you visit us again.

Feel bad because the staff were really nice but the hostel is pretty poor. There was no atmosphere, no one got to know each other. It's pretty run down the ac broke for a couple of nights so it was difficult to stay in the hostel.

We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at our Hostel. Changes have been made to ensure a more open and social atmosphere. The bit about the a/c unit was unfortunate timing, but has since been fixed and is working better than ever! We do hope you visit us again!

Close to a bus stop, which is very good, staff was friendly Not enough bathrooms/showers, couldn't lock doors, staff didn't know much about what to do there and how to get to certain points

We are sorry that you did not have the best experience at our Hostel, however, doors can be locked by anyone who chooses to do so, and with a $10 refundable deposit; keys are provided for both the room and the front door. Lastly, our staff are indeed quite keen to the happenings of any specified area, as well as Houston as a whole; and are quite capable of giving pinpoint accurate directions. We do hope that you visit us again.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7