Houston International Hostel Reviews

5302 Crawford St., Texas, Houston, Texas, USA

First of all, I when I went to check in after I booked through this website the people at the desk changed the price. It was only by a $1 or two but they said the hostelworld price was incorrect. Having just driven 17 hours, I was to tired to argue Secondly, there is absolutely no security whatsoever. A person could literally walk right off the street and go straight upstairs to do whatever he or she likes, (steal, take a shower, slit your throat), there is nothing to stop them.

Would be much better if the rooms are cleaner and if lockers are provided.

• 31st Mar 2014

Very old place, a few renos wouldn't go astray. Everything inside is just as old as the outside looks. However, in saying that, my room was clean and comfortable and the staff and guests were all friendly. Not a typical hostel like most I have stayed in. Majority of guests were middle aged or older (some very old people). But being close to TMC I suspect they were having treatment there. It's what you expect for $15/night

• 7th Mar 2014

the bathrooms could be cleaned better

Nice People, nice place very charming, evrything enjoyable the only restriction is the cleanliness, I was bitten by fleas each time I slept there.

• 21st Dec 2013

Nice place for a brief stay

• 14th Oct 2013
  • India

Drifter jacks is a great place to stay. Everything is brand new and clean. The beds are amazingly comfortable for a hostel. The staff are friendly and knowledgable about the local area and will often join you for an evening out. The place looks stylish thanks to the murals on every wall. All of which have been painted by local artists. The location is great. Two minutes walk to university shops bars and restaurants and 30 seconds from a $1 bus downtown. This is the place to stay in Austin!

• 5th Oct 2013

It was an ok place, it is in the museum district and there is a lot of great art and exhibits to see. It isn't to far from downtown and the trains. My only real complaint was the bedbugs, they did all the could to try to get rid of them but I was covered head to tow in bits when I left. The staff was great about it and thoroughly cleaned the room.

• 26th Sep 2013

This hostel is awesome!!! The staff are very nice and it is very inexpensive at only $15 a night. It was a comfortable stay with convenient kitchen, huge living room with 3 big couches, and a front yard porch with a grill area and outside tables. I would deff recommend it!!!

• 27th Aug 2013

The operating hours are rediculous, very un accomodationg, the website asked me what time i was checking in but the office hours dont reflect this. I waited over four hours to be checked in. No internet avaliable, no phone, kitchen rules were rediculous, too many rules, no working lockers, no where to hang out washing, all appliances in kitchen were old. Ols signs up, that werent relevant to current situations. Bathrooms were terrible, water barely runs from taps and toilets need an upgrade.

• 23rd Aug 2013

The building is substandard, and not safe for habitation. The upstairs bathroom leaks into the downstairs bathroom to the point that the ceiling is collapsing downstairs. The only effort at repairing the problem was to nail up new drywall, but gaping holes in the ceiling still exist. I can only imagine how much mold and mildew is up there. The rest of the building is not much better. The house and the property are cluttered. All in all, this place is pretty frightening.

• 21st Jul 2013

The room was very dirthy and full of bed bugs!!!! Don't go there!

• 31st May 2013
  • Switzerland

Rooms are cleaned every day, and during each shift. Beds are thoroughly inspected by staff each day and after any guest leaves the Hostel. We do hope you visit us again.

Feel bad because the staff were really nice but the hostel is pretty poor. There was no atmosphere, no one got to know each other. It's pretty run down the ac broke for a couple of nights so it was difficult to stay in the hostel.

We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at our Hostel. Changes have been made to ensure a more open and social atmosphere. The bit about the a/c unit was unfortunate timing, but has since been fixed and is working better than ever! We do hope you visit us again!

Close to a bus stop, which is very good, staff was friendly Not enough bathrooms/showers, couldn't lock doors, staff didn't know much about what to do there and how to get to certain points

We are sorry that you did not have the best experience at our Hostel, however, doors can be locked by anyone who chooses to do so, and with a $10 refundable deposit; keys are provided for both the room and the front door. Lastly, our staff are indeed quite keen to the happenings of any specified area, as well as Houston as a whole; and are quite capable of giving pinpoint accurate directions. We do hope that you visit us again.

Very nice owner, very fair prices. I actually had booked two nights but the first one I couldnt reach it and call. When I came the next day I just had to pay that one, not the one I missed, very kind! I could relax as best as you can imagine. If you want party, I guess it is not the right one. One of the showers was ditry, but I really liked the rest.

We're very glad that you've enjoyed your stay! Please visit us again!

I wanted to give you a much better rating, because the staff are so helpful & friendly, and the place has a lot of character. However, it really needs just a weekend of nobody in it so it can have a decent clean & a lick of paint (and to sort out the bathrooms, which were a great size but you dreaded going in!). It's also got some real potential to have some hostel activities, like a games night. It's great value for money, but I'd add a couple of $ more just so it was free wifi & an open desk.

Thank you so much for the constructive comments! Changes have been made since your last visit that build upon your suggestions! We do hope you visit us again!

The best thing about this hostel is the location, right in the middle of the museum district. And for the price it can't be beaten. It's not the cleanest of hostels and the atmosphere wasn't particularly social. However, don't that let that put you off. I would stay here again.

We are very glad that you have enjoyed your stay! The Hostel itself is cleaned daily during both shifts and heavy duty cleanups are scheduled often to ensure overall cleanliness. Changes have been made since your last visit to ensure a more open and social atmosphere.

Wasn't told about the $10 cash deposit for a key if you plan on being out past 11pm. Outside of that and only being open from 8-10am and 5-11pm, great place. Would have been better to check in when i arrived at 3pm, but I wouldn't have met a cute British doctor otherwise, so it's a wash in my books...

• 20th Mar 2013

Every guest is told at check-in of the rules, and the deposit for the keys is the main focus point. However, we are very glad that you have enjoyed your stay! Please visit us again!

This was a fine little place to rest for a night before going on to other things. It is the type of place where you want to bring your shower shoes because the bathrooms and showers are not so beautiful. But over all there are worse places to rest your head for a night. The staff is super friendly and enthusiastic about showing you ways to get around town (which is nice because it is a confusing city as far as walking, busing, etc.).

We are very glad that you have enjoyed your stay! The bathrooms are thoroughly cleaned twice daily, and tidied up during shifts. We hope you visit us again!

amazingly friendly staff but if you are traveling alone, not recommanded because it's pretty dark and dangeroust to get there at night. when I walked to there there were only me and my sister on street. I feel scared. but really, the staffs are so kind

• 9th Mar 2013
  • South Korea

We're very glad that you and your sister enjoyed your stay! The area that the Hostel is located is very safe, which is in the residential side of the Museum District. Please do see us again whenever you are in Houston!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7