Howards Mountain Lodge Reviews

43 - 45 Carroll Street, National Park Village, Tongariro National Park, New Zealand

Overall our stay was comfortable and the facilities were clean however, I was unsure of how the owner came to balance owing when we left...firstly, it was not made clear to us the cost of our transfer to Tongariro and the deposit I paid online was not deducted from the balance he said that online deposits/booking had nothing to do with him even though when I booked online it showed the deduction from the final balance! For this reason only I probably wouldn't stay there again :(

• 21st Mar 2014
  • New Zealand

The amount you pay to Hostel world - their fee - has ALREADY been deducted from the price. What you are asking for is for it to be taken out a second time. You complained to Hostelworld and they explained this to you and now so have I multiple times. I'm not ripping you off ! Glad you otherwise enjoyed your tay.

My stay at Howards was fine, but it certainly doesn't make the list of top hostels at which I've stayed. The best thing is the location; it's quite close to the spot where you begin the Tongariro Crossing so getting there is easy. My dorm room was a little cramped and there are no lockers or locks on any of the doors though I imagine theft is not an issue. The bus ride to/from the Crossing is a bit pricey (NZD 30), and they charge for internet. A fine hostel at a mediocre price.

It has never been necessary to have locks on the dorm doors, you are right that theft has never been an issue. $30 for the bus to and from the crossing is probably the lowest price you can find and has no changed in 5 years despite fuel increases, it just costs money to run a bus I'm afraid. Yes we charge for the internet, no such thing as free internet, if it is offered for 'free' then the price is just been hidden in your room price. Charging separately is more fair and honest.

The guy on the front desk was rude and hostile. The place was really noisy. And as a final insult, we were charged $5 for a 1.5 litre bottle of water, which we had little choice but to buy from them as it was late at night and we were heading off at 6am the following day for a full day hike.

There are cats living in or around the hostel. They where not suppose to be in the houses or the dorms, but one got itself caught in one of the dorm rooms on my second night at this place. Important informations for people with allergies.

Damn those cats !!! Only one belongs to us and she doesn't go inside the others are strays from around the lodge and unfortunately some guests feed them and make them welcome. Not sure what to do about it except some in-human violence towards cats, never a popular move ...

View all Tongariro National Park Hostels