Hump Backpackers Reviews

40 Darlinghurst Road, Kings Cross, Sydney, Australia

There are too many long term residents in the hostel to which you feel as if you are sort of gate crashing someones house, there is very much a clique atmosphere. The hostel it's self has nice staff and provides a free airport pick-up which saves you $14. There were some strange things like residents vacuuming in the rooms at 6am, also some drug use which is expected in Kings Cross. Come here if you're looking for a party, otherwise pick a place closer to the city centre.

Good atmosphere, always something to do. Cleanest hostel we stayed in. Highly recommend to everyone looking for a great hostel.

I loved this hostel, I was concerned about the cleanliness after reviews about this but I had no problem with this,maybe just give the rooms a deep clean once a week under beds etc but I found the rooms very comfy and clean, they were hoovered everyday,loved that there was a sink in the room. Big locker (use your lock), the kitchen nice and big, the common rooms were great as you can watch films in one and drink in another. I saved a lot of money doing the hostel events,free drinks most nights:)

The girl at the reception was really kind. Free breakfast in the morning was ok. Had to wait a a long time for the free pancake on sunday. Unlimited wifi. Doors were slamming loudly. Area of Kings Cross was ok. Would stay there again

Well run hostel in a fairly central location, walking distance to Sydney harbour, botanic gardens, city etc. Big lockers to fit all your stuff in. Great communal areas and a good sized kitchen (although it does get very busy at dinner time). The place is kept clean. The only downside we experienced were some of the other guests, 99% were nice but there were a few that made our stay uncomfortable at times.

Kitchen was well-equipped if a little cramped. Bathrooms/showers weren't in the best shape but were fine. Atmosphere was nice, lots going on and very helpful staff. Free shuttle from the airport was a great help!

Great hostel with amazing staff! I booked "wrong" so when I arrived in the middle of the Night there was actually no bed booked for me (my fault) and they woke every manager up to find me a place to sleep so I didn't have to sleep on the street! They have free breakfast every morning, delicious free pancakes every sunday, free wifi and tons of other great activities! If I ever come back to Sydney I'm definitely goingback here

The bathrooms were beyond filthy. Even for hostel standards. Staff were either stoned or uninterested and lethargic. No signs or enforcement of any quiet time frames in the bed rooms. Spend the extra 5 bucks and stay at Wake up

• 4th Apr 2015

Alot of people have been here long term as they work in Sydney so i found the place very "clicky" most people have their groups of friends and aren't as social as other hostels I've stayed in. Also wifi is poor and the kitchen wasn't the biggest or cleanest.

The kitchen is small They living room is small

Everything you want in a hostel, the Best in Kings Cross. Great staff, ET the receptionist was fantastic, very helpful and informative. Perfect location, 1 min from the train station. Lots of activities and entertainment. $1 burritos for dinner and the free breakfast was pretty good too. Would recommend this place to everyone. Clean rooms and the tidiest I have seen in my travels. The large lockers in the room were great. Free wifi and washing facilities perfect.

We had a lot of fun at the hostel, the only bad point was the cleanliness... The bathrooms were really dirty! If you could improve that, the hostel would be an awesome place to stay!

Free breakfast very handy with a good choice of toast toppings. Hostel needs refurbishment and better cleaning facilities. The staff are very nice.

I liked that they had lots of bathrooms, but too many live in tenants. Lots of people in working holiday. A little dirty. But OK for a few nights stay.

Great area for nightlife, but a 45 minute walk to the city centre

Dirty hostel, smelly throughout the building. Bathroom's are in a terrible state, I felt cleaner not showering. 1 male member of staff with goatee beard was very rude and got in a strop as I asked to check out at 8.40am (a perfectly normal time to check out). Reception doesn't open until 9am apparently, but this information wasn't passed to us on check in

The street it is in is a dive. Full of drug addicts, homeless people and prostitutes. Staff were friendly but it just seemed like a worker hostel, and as we were passing through it didn't feel that welcoming. We had the delux room and there was nothing delux about it. Bed was clean but the rooms were so hot and the fan might as well have been turned off. The toilets needed a big clean.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the hostel. Staff were extremely helpful in particular when they accomadated my move to a different room for when my friends arrived There was a homely feel and always something going on. I would say it is a hostel for the younger generation who enjoy going out, however there is a seperate blue room from the common room where you have to go after 10pm which is good if you aren't in the mood for drinking. Great value for money and situated near the train station.

• 7th Jan 2015