Hump Backpackers Reviews

40 Darlinghurst Road, Kings Cross, Sydney, Australia

Sleeping in there during fridays and saturdays is impossible... to many lights and noise. Bad bathrooms. Good location regarding to walking distance to the main things in Sydney, however the street is full of night clubs so it becomes difficult to sleep. Too many drunk people on the street.

Supernice atmosphere, was upgraded from 12 bed dorm to 4 bed dorm with own bathroom for free! :) that was awesome! It's so cheap and super clean! The staff is very nice and they offer some free stuff. The location is not ideal, the bouncers from the stripclubs around it hit on me all the time walking by, that's annoying. Anyway, starting from 20 bucks, it's worth it. The receptionist was a little late in the morning, which is not cool if you desperately need to leave, but rest was good.

We stayed here for two nights in July. We found the hostel to be dominated by long term residents who made no effort in socialising with any short term guests. This made us feel very uncomfortable. Furthermore we found the young English guy on the reception to be cocky and rude including to his colleagues during our check in. Overall id recommend to spend a bit more $ and stay in a much nicer hostel in Sydney in a better area thats not lined with strip clubs and drug addicts!

Staying@Hump Backpackers was a nightmare.The hostel is located in the red light district so we could "enjoy" loud music

I originally booked to stay here for a week but knew within a day that I would be staying here a lot longer. Great atmosphere and the staff are all lovely. There are events on every evening including movie night, free BBQ and a variety of nights out. Facilities are good, they have a TV room where you can chill and watch TV anytime of the day, they also have the legendary blue room where the drinking and parties are held. Staff are lots of fun and make you feel very at home! DEFINITELY RECOMMEND!

• 2nd Jun 2014

Initial reaction was that the hostel looks quite shabby and it is in the red light district. We actually extended our stay to a week and the hostel is very homely once you settle in. The kitchen facilities are great. Could have more showers but I always managed to find a free one eventually. Our 4 bed room didn't have much breathing space but did the trick for what we needed. The tv room is great for chilling out and free wifi useful for booking further trips.

• 28th May 2014

One of the worst hostel I've been, and all because of the personal.. They don't smile and it looks like when they help you they don't really want to do it. An is incredibily noising. If you re searching good atmosphere and quiet just don't go there!

Awesome Hostel!

• 16th May 2014

One of the best hostels we've stayed at during our 9 months of travelling in Oz. Made reservation for a 14-bed dorm but got a free upgrade to a 6-share upon check in and also got to keep the free upgrade when we decided to extend for another week! Hump has loads of great activities 7 nights a week which contributes to making the atmosphere really fun and relaxed. Helpful staff, friendly people and good location :)

• 12th May 2014
  • Sweden

I spent 1 night there and I felt like in the middle of a big family. Everybody is talking to anyone, the kitchen is fully equiped, the living room has a huge tv screen with all the channel available. There is a room specially for people who wants to have a drink, and a courtyard (wich was unfortunatly under work). I got a promotion, I paid for an 8 shared but the nice guy at the receiption put me in a 4 shared with it's own bathroom. Anyway the hostel is clean !

Fun, laidback hostel in Kings Cross. Walking distance to CBD and landmarks but also great transport connections if you dont fancy the walk. Friendly and approachable staff. Street noise didnt bother me nor did it prevent me getting to sleep and I had a second floor, street facing room! Good mix of longtermers and short stayers, great atmosphere. I'd definitely go back.

The hostel was located in the red light district which we expected, and for the amount we paid, it was fair enough. Didn't expect that there'll only be 2 showers + 2 toilets per level. Hostel was quite rundown but the bunks were fine. Clean sheets and comfortable beds, large lockers. Very close to the train station. ladies travelling alone shouldn't look to stay here though.

The staff were very friendly, relaxed, and helpful, and it was easy to meet people. That being said, the stairwell carpet was worn down, and the Blue Room had torn-up couches and an open trashcan. It's right across the street from a nightclub, so the music was booming all night until well past midnight, making it hard to sleep. So if you aren't picky about cleanliness and like to party, this is the hostel for you. If you're picky about loudness and cleanliness, choose a different hostel.

Kings Cross is not a nice area! The bathrooms and rooms are not the nicest they say they have just renovated but no sign of this. Lockers and free breakfast are good and helpful staff.

Great hostel. Great staff. Nice people. A lot of fun. Really good pancakes :) could be a bit cleaner.

• 7th Apr 2014

Dirty, Dirty, Dirty... thats all I can say. One of the worst backpackers experiences for me ever. Even cheapest hostel in Thailand might be better. No security as out dorm room has been open day and night. cleanliness is non existing, fortunatelly no bed bugs though. The location directly toward the stress full of adult shops and striptease show is a big nono. I havent slepts until like 5 am. HORRIBLE PLACE!!

Great friendly staffs, good atmosphere for backpackers. But rooms are dark, humid, and smelling. Hot shower is not enough. Totally, I can't believe that this hostel is in developed country.