IHSP Chicago Hostel at Damen CTA Reviews

1616 N. Damen Ave, CTA Blue Line, Chicago, USA

The hostel itself was clean and well located, but we did not sleep very well because of the noise and light from the the corridor nexto to the room.

Second night when I was at up-seat bed in 4 beds dorm, it's too hot I couldn't sleep whole night, and it was very cold outside window. Hope they can do some adjustments and move away position of bed.

Favorite Employee: Wyatt

I've stayed in many hostels in Europe and in the U.S. and this was def one of the best! Excellent location in a street full of bars, shops, and restaurants (didn't affect sleeping well at night though) and just a few meters from the subway going downtown. Loved the spacious common room in the hostel, I was traveling alone but met lots of cool people there! Enough showers and bathrooms, all of them very clean. It was just one of the staff who could have been a bit friendlier.

Everything was great next time I'm in Chicago im staying here the el is literally across the street you can go anywhere from the ihsp hostal and get there quick everyone who worked there was really accommodating and friendl

• 28th Dec 2014

Location is very good!!!!!

• 28th Dec 2014
  • South Korea

I have stayed in dorms pretty frequently and all I can say is IHSP gave me an excellent experience. It is very clean, pancakes for breakfast, towels are provided. Definitely worth the stay! Furthermore, the staff are excellent and friendly. It is located just about 10 minutes ride with the CTA to downtown and the surrounding neighborhood is very safe. Lastly, I want to thank Sam for the experience that I had during my check in and out. He is ever helpful.

• 22nd Dec 2014
  • Malaysia

Very good hostel! Less than 1 minute walk from the Damen CTA station which is very convenient. Very clean and quiet during the night and showers were also quite big surprisingly! Great internet and pancake/oatmeal breakfast was good. Highly recommend the rooftop deck also, great view during the day and especially in the night. Was nice to have a few beers looking out into the chicago skyline. Great Hostel!

The staff is really friendly, and let me feel I come back to home. If I visit Chicago again, I will choose IHSP without a doubt. Wyatt and Sam, thank you guys very much!!

• 21st Dec 2014
  • Taiwan

This hostel is awesome! Definitely one of the best hostels I've been to, or even THE best, and I've done many! The atmosphere is great, the people are great, the place is clean and nice and you don't need anything more! The neighborhood is also awesome!

• 17th Dec 2014

It was a nice clean hostel in a convenient location. The free breakfast was awesome. Probably not a great place to stay if you're looking for an early night - you can hear everything going on in the common room, and there were drunk people coming in and out of the room all night. Overall it was a great place and I would definitely stay here again!

This is the best hostel I've stayed in so far. The common area is big and comfy, with a nice kitchen and a sofa. What I thought was the most surprising, though, was the showers, which were really clean and have extra space built in where you can keep your clothes while you shower and where you can get changed. At the moment, the subway station is closed, but I just took bus 56, which probably takes a few minutes longer, but you get to see more.

The hostel was great! I really don't have any complaints about the hostel itself. I will say that the metro closest to the hostel was closed. It may now be open but if you don't have a lot of time in Chicago, that 30 min round trip to the next closest or an even long wait for a bus means a lot. Nothing the hostel could do about it but something to think about when booking in Chicago.

Best hostel i've ever been.

Top Location in great Neighborhood with nice pubs and bars.. hostel was nice but really small rooms and cold with no heater.

I luv this hostel! Though Damen station is closed until around dec 22th 2014, it was worth to stay around here because i liked the street near hear. there are quite lots of stores which are open until night and also there are cute small stores for shopping. And actually staffs are so nice! because they kept trying to contact us when we are gonna arrive and also i told it is a little bit cold for us then the staff lend me heater:) also i love the pancakes for free!! i highly recommend this hostel

• 7th Nov 2014
  • South Korea

Very much enjoyed my brief stay here. The area around the hostel was cool, and I wish I had stayed longer to check out the bars, shops and cafes nearby. The inside common area (outside was a bit chilly) had a good vibe and was congenial to meeting other travellers. Jetlagged, I accidently slept through my alarm and the check-out time… But they were kind enough to forgive me (with a smile) and not charge me an extra night. Would happily stay there again. Thanks, guys!

I love this place every time I stay here and the rooftop is awesome!

It's rare for a hostel to be this good. The staff here are so friendly, and there's a security pass needed to enter the building of the hostel. Free pancakes in the morning are always great and the hostel makes a genuine attempt to welcome you to the area - kudos to Wyatt and Olivia when I stayed there! It's centered in a hip and lively location and the facilities are clean and functional, it isn't old or dingy. Will be back - made some great friends there :)

• 24th Oct 2014

Nice rooftop with great view, breakfast including free coffee and tea all day was good, staff was friendly. "Shuttle buses" are 10$ for a trip from the airport to the hostel - one way. 10 bed dorms are right next to the common room so you could hear people talk, slamming doors, watching TV etc. (Quiet time is from 11pm to 8am) Showers weren't great but at least they were quite clean. Will probably try to find another hostel next time.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4