IHSP Chicago Hostel at Damen CTA

Fabulous 1515 Total Reviews

• Ireland, Couple, 25-30
22nd May 2017
4.6

When we arrived the toilets, shower and oven were out of order. We had to use the toilet at the Walgreens across the street for the first afternoon. Our room had no window and a vent that constantly blew hot stuffy air into the room. The second morning the toilets on the top floor were flooded and overflowing. The kitchen was filthy. To top it off, the atmosphere was non existant. Never again.

• Thailand, Female, 25-30
20th May 2017
6.6

The Hostel is near Damen Station which is in blue line. It is a little far from main attractions but can take subay Blue line to go. The receptors are just fine. The bunk bed was quite noise when i moved. The luggage storage is not the room.

• Pakistan, Male, 31-40
16th May 2017
4.3

We had A. Worst experience this time. In may We (me and my brother) visited Chicago and it was too hot. To Save money They deliberately turned off tge air conditioning As during the day very few travellers were in the facility. However As me and my brother just arrived in Chicago and wanted to have A. Good sleep before starting our expedition We felt it really uncomfortable to sleep with AC turned off. We complained But rather addressing it They thoroughly bisbehaved. Not recommended at all

• Germany, Male, 18-24
11th May 2017

What a gemstone! Next to Damen Station, a 24h Walgreens with 2 Bananas for $1, the very delicious Stan's Donut shop and other inviting places to eat that I didn't find the time to try, this has been the best hostel I've stayed in in the US so far! The staff was so cool, the front door had a key card and the dorms were protected by a code you had to enter. If I had the time I would've for sure found some other travelers to hang out with, too, but the front desk was my place to be! Will be back!!

• Hong Kong, Female, 18-24
26th Apr 2017

The hostel is very near to Damen station and also near to downtown and airport. If you want to go united center, you can take the bus near to the station. There is a station for united center, it takes you only 15 mins. The staffs are very responsive and friendly. The price is average. Will definitely come back! Thank you

15th Apr 2017
7.1

Staff were friendly, and the location was great. Beware, there is no staff on duty while you sleep, so if something happens, you are screwed, which is disturbing in a city you aren't familiar with. I had an early bus, with a non-refundable ticket, and although I was up and ready to check out well in advance of my departure, there was no staff to return my drivers license, which they hold for collateral on key deposit. Staff was late, bus missed, money wasted. Very disappointed.

• England, Female, 25-30
13th Apr 2017

Really friendly place to stay in a cool area of town. Could maybe do with a few more sinks/ showers etc and the floor is very creaky but if you're after somewhere cheap and friendly then this place is good.

• Germany, Female, 25-30
8th Apr 2017

Very helpful staff, no additional charges, good pancakes for breakfast. Common room could be a little bit cleaner, but it's still ok. I would stay there again

3rd Apr 2017

Key card into building and security code into room. Very short walk to the Blue Line, but is necessary to get to other popular Chicago places. Very friendly staff! Atmosphere was reminiscent of traveling through Europe, meeting many people traveling for different reasons. Kind of old building and some amenities. Overall a better alternative than a very expensive hotel stay.

• New Zealand, Male, 25-30
3rd Apr 2017
5.4

Although security was good, as was the breakfast, the sleeping area really let this place down. The walls between the 10-bed mixed dorm and the common area are paper-thin, so it's extremely difficult to sleep until everyone has gone to bed. Also, I have to say that the beds in the dorm were some of the worst I've encountered. The mattress appeared to be made of plastic, and the bunks creaked and felt like they were going to fall apart. Basically everything in the bedrooms felt cheap and crappy.