IHSP Chicago Hostel at Damen CTA

Fabulous 1493 Total Reviews
Fabulous 1493 Total Reviews

15th Apr 2017
7.1

Staff were friendly, and the location was great. Beware, there is no staff on duty while you sleep, so if something happens, you are screwed, which is disturbing in a city you aren't familiar with. I had an early bus, with a non-refundable ticket, and although I was up and ready to check out well in advance of my departure, there was no staff to return my drivers license, which they hold for collateral on key deposit. Staff was late, bus missed, money wasted. Very disappointed.

• Germany, Female, 25-30
8th Apr 2017

Very helpful staff, no additional charges, good pancakes for breakfast. Common room could be a little bit cleaner, but it's still ok. I would stay there again

3rd Apr 2017

Key card into building and security code into room. Very short walk to the Blue Line, but is necessary to get to other popular Chicago places. Very friendly staff! Atmosphere was reminiscent of traveling through Europe, meeting many people traveling for different reasons. Kind of old building and some amenities. Overall a better alternative than a very expensive hotel stay.

• New Zealand, Male, 25-30
3rd Apr 2017
5.4

Although security was good, as was the breakfast, the sleeping area really let this place down. The walls between the 10-bed mixed dorm and the common area are paper-thin, so it's extremely difficult to sleep until everyone has gone to bed. Also, I have to say that the beds in the dorm were some of the worst I've encountered. The mattress appeared to be made of plastic, and the bunks creaked and felt like they were going to fall apart. Basically everything in the bedrooms felt cheap and crappy.

• Austria, Male, 31-40
8th Mar 2017

Unlike during my last visit in November there were no dried fruits, chocolate sauce for the pancakes or teabags for breakfast and I prefer Sam clean-shaven than with his current beard. On the other hand he clearly has been working out, so that is some compensation.

5th Mar 2017

I had booked a private double bed and ended up getting an entire dorm, complete with a full-sized fridge and working oven and microwave, all to myself. It was great having so much space. The hostel is super close to the Damen Blue Line stop, which made getting to the O'Hare airport easy when I was leaving. I didn't eat breakfast there, but it was nice having oatmeal and pancakes available if I wanted them. I was not at the hostel when people were hanging out at night.

• USA, Male, 18-24
3rd Mar 2017

This hostel was great! It was the first time that I had ever stayed at a hostel before. I'm glad we chose to stay at IHSP in Chicago. Would recommend and would come back here again!

• USA, Male, 41+
28th Feb 2017

Sam is Awesome! He made my stay an incredible experience and I would highly recommend IHSP.

25th Feb 2017

Perfect place to be. Cheap and good service.

• bbonds19899696
  • USA, Male, 25-30
22nd Feb 2017

Pretty great stay and the staff were probably the better part of the stay. The roof deck is pretty sweet also.