IHSP Chicago Hostel at Damen CTA Reviews

1616 N. Damen Ave, CTA Blue Line, Chicago, USA

One of the best, warmest and nicest hostels I've ever been to. The whole building is very nice and homely and the rooftop is just amazing. The staff members are completely friendly and always, ALWAYS, happy to help. Kevin went out with us, without even being on duty - so awesome!

• 19th Oct 2014

There are only pancakes for the breakfast and the dorm is next to the common room so it's noisy in the morning. Excellent location and staff really nice !

• 16th Oct 2014

I can't say enough about Ihsp in Chicago. The staff was awesome and hung out with us all night on the roof deck! We loved the neighborhood , wicker park was cool and easy to get into the city center for sight seeing. Thanks Ihsp for such an amazing time !

Loved it there. Female dorm. A bit noisy since the kitchen area is right outside the dorm and the wooden floor screeches a lot, but no big deal. Free pancakes and coffee! Wicker Park area is quite hipster, which totally rocks. Easy acces to CTA blue line to go either downtown or to the airport. It has an elevator so you don't have to deal with heavy luggage and stairs. Loved them for that!! Roof deck is quite nice and romantic ;) Definitely staying there the next time.

Pretty nice actually.

Fantastic sociable hostel. Great transport links to downtown Chicago. Helpful friendly staff. Lovely place to stay. Couple of beers on the roof anyone?

• 4th Oct 2014

I really enjoyed my stay. Awesome location. Kinda hipsterish. National chains nearby, but lots of local retail. Walls are thin and you can hear every one walking down the hall which is no fun when you are sleeping off a hangover. Cool common spaces. Staff was hospitable and helpful.

• 2nd Oct 2014

Love this hostel! It's really just a few minutes from the metro and a short ride into the city. Staff was very friendly and helpful, even joined us to hang out in the common room/rooftop. Very familiar atmosphere and super cozy common room which closes at 11pm but it's great to hang out on the rooftop afterwards. Pancakes and free coffee

Great place, great staff and great facilities. Second time here in two years. It was legendary both times. Can't wait to come back here for a third stay in the nearby future!

Both staff were super helpful, one lending me his phone when i had to take a call. Really nice hostel. Not in downtown but really cool area with bars, restaurants and shops, very trendy and only 15mins to town from the near by metro.

Wanted to thank Sam for checking is in since there was a fiasco with the FAA building fire and both Chicago airports were shut down cancelling 500 flights and delaying 1000. He called and emailed to make sure the last few guests were coming. i appreciate his follow up and patience as we all got in and were just so exhausted and appreciated his professionality and hospitality.

The wifi sucks, which is the only unsatisfying thing. People there are soooooo nice! Plus pancakes are really tasty! Showers are good. So in a word, a nice place to stay! Luv it!

• 26th Sep 2014
  • China

My stay here was fantastic, the place was always kept clean,the staff were pleasant and incredibly helpful and the area is very lively and getting to downtown is easy. JOSH who works.there was awesome. even though he was a giants fan always wearing a Saints hat boooo haha! Definately coming back!

• 25th Sep 2014

This place is the bee's knees. Arrived to friendly, helpful staff who showed me around the hostel - which is fantastic! Free pancakes, tea and coffee... amazing common room with chalk board walls... free computers with internet and printing. And the creme de la creme - a rooftop terrace. You can see the skyline in the distance, hear music coming up from the street, and drink your heart out. The hostel is located in a nice area just a short journey from the centre. I would definitely return

As an American I did not feel very welcome, at least one staff member was quite cool toward me, and it seemed like from the start she was not thrilled to have me in the community as an American student instead of a foreigner.

The best hostel in Chicago by far! Brand new, located in the most effervescent neighborhoods in town (Wicker Park/Bucktown) for the indie/hipster crowd, very nice staff, soft beds and good facilities. Could have more bathrooms per floor, a newer sofa in the common room (man, that one is crumbling away) and eletrical outlets for all beds (everybody has cell phones to charge at night), but, all in all, a great experience. Definitely coming back!

The best U.S hostel I've stayed in. Good atmosphere, good location, easy to meet other traveler's and great facilities. Olivia on the front desk was really friendly and helpful and I'd definitely recommend this hostel. I also stayed in wrigley hostel. ISHP is much better!

The woman at the front desk was wonderful The location was great and we were quitecomfortable. People staying there like to party so be prepared for that.

• 12th Sep 2014

Although I checked in late I was checked into room that was not cleaned. Its bedding was crumpled and dirty, there was trash on the floor and the table. I had to wait for the attendant receptionist to tidy the room for me.

From the second we walked into the hostel and was greated by Wyatt we knew we made the right decision by staying at IHSP. We've stayed in hostels in over Europe and we'd say that IHSP is one of the best hostels to date. The staff is amazing, great location (24hr convenience store right next door, plenty of bars/restaurants/shops just steps away) and of course the highlight is the roof top deck over looking Chicago skyline equipped with BBQ, speakers and plenty of take space. We will be back!

• 31st Aug 2014