IHSP Chicago Hostel at Damen CTA Reviews

1616 N. Damen Ave, CTA Blue Line, Chicago, USA

Really nice hostel with good atmosphere in a good location.

• 14th Apr 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

We had the best stay here! Amazing location, the neighbourhood is awesome and it's very easy to get downtown to all other attractions. Staff were amazing and the general vibe of the hostel is great! Would definitely return on my next visit to Chicago.

very good location. very good facilities in the common room area. good value of money. as a hostel, it is a good place to choose.

Had an excellent trip and the hostel made it great! I felt very comfortable and at home and especially enjoyed the roof deck and kitchen. My only complaint was that in the girls dorm there weren't many outlets or lights.

• 8th Apr 2014

The location is incredible! The immediate area around the hostel is full of bars and restaurants. The Tavern across the road is a great place for a late night/ early morning beverage. Internet is fast. Beds are comfy. Lots of showers and toilets. Pool table and Wii in common room, although the pool table has seen better days but a bonus none the less. Subway down the road which is 4 stops from downtown loop. We stayed in another hostel downtown in Chicago this one is miles above.

Dear Staff: Yes, my stay was very rewarding and I recommend it for everyone. With Christian love, Jack Johncock BS, AA

This is such a great value. I felt entirely safe. One has to swipe to get in to the building. There are locks on all the dorm doors. There are lockers in the dorm rooms.The parking (reserve ahead! there are only three spots) was also secure. The bathrooms were bleached twice daily. One could observe the towels going through rinse cycles. There were no bugs, no blood stains on the sheets, no hair in the shower drains. We had no problems, and will stay here again next time we're in Chicago!! :)

• 28th Mar 2014

The girl lost patiences with me but no biggie. Overall the place was so clean, very impress by that because most places can be gross. The free pancake breakfast every morning was Awesome! The free internet, towels, blankets, locker lock, guitar, and costless other things was the boom.com too! And it was the cheapest, right off the airport. This is the spot for me next time I'm in Chicago!!!!!

• 27th Mar 2014

This place was awesome! If I come back to Chicago I'll definitely stay here. Great place, great crowd!

• 21st Mar 2014

Place is geared towards young people who loves to party late into the nights, drunkards who goes to bed without bathing, and people in cheap suits thinking their needs are more important than others. The water trickles in the showers and it is hard to get the water temperature right.

• 14th Mar 2014
  • Singapore

All we can say is.... St Patricks Day! Go Ireland!

Great Staff and facility!

• 2nd Mar 2014
  • China

The female dorms right next to the kitchen are a bit noisy (definitely with all the Europeans and their jetlag waking up at 5 am ;) ), but besides that, this hostel is really good ! Good atmosphere, good location, lots of showers, nice staff and ... unlimited pancakes and good coffee for breakfast :) !

Great staff and clean rooms

• 25th Feb 2014

My girlfriend and I were there from the 21st til the 24th of February. We felt very welcome by the staff, a big common area, with enough activity provided to be able to socialize with the other occupant if wanting to, or to stay quietly in one of the comfortable sofa. Positive points : -Security, comfortable, welcoming, (all you can eat pancakes in the morning!) Negative points : pretty far from downtown (around 45min by walking), but very close to a metro station which comes regularly.

Staying at other hostels in the US shows even more how superior this one is. Great facilities, staff, and location. The common areas make it easy to meet fellow travellers.

I stayed here for a single night - a cosy refuge when it was - 20C outside. Being a short distance from the Damen CTA stop, it's conveniently located for travellers coming from O'Hare. The rooms and bathrooms were clean. The free breakfast was pancakes, pretty standard. However, I had some difficulty sleeping- I was given a small heating fan which made a lot of noise. As the halls were creaky, I could hear people walking to the bathroom all night. Lockers in the rooms would have been nice too.

very nice plac and nice staff! loved it!

• 15th Jan 2014

I initially chose the IHSP due to it's close proximity to the blue train and easy access to the O'Hare airport. This hostel in a great location (Wicker Park) with easy access to the Loop & O'Hare. There are lots of bars, eateries, and coffee shops in the area and it seems like a really cool neighborhood. The facilities are really nice-great common room, kitchen, etc. They also have some of the nicest bathrooms & showers that I've ever seen in a hostel! Friendly, helpful staff. Highly recommend!

One of the best hostels that I have ever stayed at and in a great neighbourhood. Only the shower needs more water pressure;)

The staff were excellent. Had a great stay. Perfect location