IHSP Chicago Hostel at Damen CTA Reviews

1616 N. Damen Ave, CTA Blue Line, Chicago, USA

Best hostel i've ever been.

Top Location in great Neighborhood with nice pubs and bars.. hostel was nice but really small rooms and cold with no heater.

I luv this hostel! Though Damen station is closed until around dec 22th 2014, it was worth to stay around here because i liked the street near hear. there are quite lots of stores which are open until night and also there are cute small stores for shopping. And actually staffs are so nice! because they kept trying to contact us when we are gonna arrive and also i told it is a little bit cold for us then the staff lend me heater:) also i love the pancakes for free!! i highly recommend this hostel

• 7th Nov 2014
  • South Korea

Very much enjoyed my brief stay here. The area around the hostel was cool, and I wish I had stayed longer to check out the bars, shops and cafes nearby. The inside common area (outside was a bit chilly) had a good vibe and was congenial to meeting other travellers. Jetlagged, I accidently slept through my alarm and the check-out time… But they were kind enough to forgive me (with a smile) and not charge me an extra night. Would happily stay there again. Thanks, guys!

I love this place every time I stay here and the rooftop is awesome!

It's rare for a hostel to be this good. The staff here are so friendly, and there's a security pass needed to enter the building of the hostel. Free pancakes in the morning are always great and the hostel makes a genuine attempt to welcome you to the area - kudos to Wyatt and Olivia when I stayed there! It's centered in a hip and lively location and the facilities are clean and functional, it isn't old or dingy. Will be back - made some great friends there :)

• 24th Oct 2014

Nice rooftop with great view, breakfast including free coffee and tea all day was good, staff was friendly. "Shuttle buses" are 10$ for a trip from the airport to the hostel - one way. 10 bed dorms are right next to the common room so you could hear people talk, slamming doors, watching TV etc. (Quiet time is from 11pm to 8am) Showers weren't great but at least they were quite clean. Will probably try to find another hostel next time.

One of the best, warmest and nicest hostels I've ever been to. The whole building is very nice and homely and the rooftop is just amazing. The staff members are completely friendly and always, ALWAYS, happy to help. Kevin went out with us, without even being on duty - so awesome!

• 19th Oct 2014

There are only pancakes for the breakfast and the dorm is next to the common room so it's noisy in the morning. Excellent location and staff really nice !

• 16th Oct 2014

I can't say enough about Ihsp in Chicago. The staff was awesome and hung out with us all night on the roof deck! We loved the neighborhood , wicker park was cool and easy to get into the city center for sight seeing. Thanks Ihsp for such an amazing time !

Loved it there. Female dorm. A bit noisy since the kitchen area is right outside the dorm and the wooden floor screeches a lot, but no big deal. Free pancakes and coffee! Wicker Park area is quite hipster, which totally rocks. Easy acces to CTA blue line to go either downtown or to the airport. It has an elevator so you don't have to deal with heavy luggage and stairs. Loved them for that!! Roof deck is quite nice and romantic ;) Definitely staying there the next time.

Pretty nice actually.

Fantastic sociable hostel. Great transport links to downtown Chicago. Helpful friendly staff. Lovely place to stay. Couple of beers on the roof anyone?

I really enjoyed my stay. Awesome location. Kinda hipsterish. National chains nearby, but lots of local retail. Walls are thin and you can hear every one walking down the hall which is no fun when you are sleeping off a hangover. Cool common spaces. Staff was hospitable and helpful.

• 2nd Oct 2014

Love this hostel! It's really just a few minutes from the metro and a short ride into the city. Staff was very friendly and helpful, even joined us to hang out in the common room/rooftop. Very familiar atmosphere and super cozy common room which closes at 11pm but it's great to hang out on the rooftop afterwards. Pancakes and free coffee

Great place, great staff and great facilities. Second time here in two years. It was legendary both times. Can't wait to come back here for a third stay in the nearby future!

Both staff were super helpful, one lending me his phone when i had to take a call. Really nice hostel. Not in downtown but really cool area with bars, restaurants and shops, very trendy and only 15mins to town from the near by metro.

Wanted to thank Sam for checking is in since there was a fiasco with the FAA building fire and both Chicago airports were shut down cancelling 500 flights and delaying 1000. He called and emailed to make sure the last few guests were coming. i appreciate his follow up and patience as we all got in and were just so exhausted and appreciated his professionality and hospitality.

The wifi sucks, which is the only unsatisfying thing. People there are soooooo nice! Plus pancakes are really tasty! Showers are good. So in a word, a nice place to stay! Luv it!

• 26th Sep 2014
  • China

My stay here was fantastic, the place was always kept clean,the staff were pleasant and incredibly helpful and the area is very lively and getting to downtown is easy. JOSH who works.there was awesome. even though he was a giants fan always wearing a Saints hat boooo haha! Definately coming back!

• 25th Sep 2014