IHSP Chicago Hostel at Damen CTA Reviews

1616 N. Damen Ave, CTA Blue Line, Chicago, USA

Great hostel. Nice staff and great location: 15 minutes to the loop in metro. The only thing I chance would be the mattress cause they are really old.

Great hostel near the subway!

Hello! I have stayed at IHSP in Chicago three times now and each time has been a treat whether I have been alone or with a friend. :) the staff is always top notch, especially Dan!!! He is always so helpful and friendly. Every time I have been to the hostel he always wants to catch up with me and get to know other people, while at the same time making sure that everyone's stay is going well. Thank you so much Dan and IHSP for making all my time in Chicago so fun! :)

• 8th May 2015

Being in Wicker Park, I expected higher quality. Although, I guess I got what I paid for. We were so unnerved by the state of the bedding and bathroom facilities that we checked out an hour after we checked in. It was too dirty for us to stay. Maybe other college students aren't phased by such uncleanly conditions, but we certainly were.

• 26th Apr 2015

Coolest hostel in the U.S. The vibe of this place is amazing, the lay out of the hostel makes it really cool to hang out and meet people. Facilities are great, and so is the staff. Kevin and Dan are the coolest, funnest people. Free pancakes and Starbucks coffee for breakfast. And also, the location is amazing, wicker park it's a hip nice neighborhood with lots of bars and coffee shops. My favorite neighborhood in Chicago. COME TO THIS HOSTEL!!!!!!!!!

The key code on the hostel doors were not very secure. The hostel staff member said our key code number out loud that was on the card and anyone could of heard it and entered the code while we were gone.

• 25th Apr 2015

Facilities were clean and in working order and everything was comfortable. The biggest plus was the amazing vibe that the staff and the place gave off. loved the atmosphere so much that I couldn't fault any of the other fields. keep at it!

When I checked in it took about 5 calls to reach the front desk to buzz me up- had me a bit nervous.

This has been a great Chicago experience! The hostel is in a very cool neighborhood, it's literally steps away from the subway and has 24/7 access to downtown Chicago. It's clean and has everything a person might want from a hostel, everything is on a sign if you may have any questions. Also, the receptionists are very friendly. Wyatt checked me out and told me an insider secret of how to see Chicago from above for under $10. He was very helpful and knowledgable regarding the boat cruises, too!

• 19th Apr 2015
  • Hungary

Loved my stay. The hostel was in a really fun area with lots of shops, bars, and places to eat nearby. The 24 hour Walgreens next door and direct 24hr train to O'Hare was also a huge plus! On Saturday night the hostel offered a Bar Crawl led by staff members and took us around to quite a few bars in the area for drinks. It was $3 and before we left, we had a few drinks in the rec room. The staff were all very laid back and easy going. Dave and Jessica were both really nice and helpful.

Great stay at the hostel. Everyone was very nice, pancake breakfast was good, the location is awesome and it was pretty clean. The beds are not the best, but ok.

• 17th Apr 2015

Great location, super friendly staff and amazing free coffee 24/7! The only recommendation I have is if you're big on sleep, get a smaller dorm. Overall great experience.

Fantastic place to stay, staff are greet and friendly. Only have postive things to say about this awesome place.

Very nice stay. The best things are the rooftop, the free pancakes with nutella for breakfast and the location near a lot of restaurants and bars.

• 2nd Apr 2015

The only thing I regret is that I didn't have more time to spend at the hostel.

Great location in the lively Wicker Park area. Train to downtown a 2 minute walk from the hostel. Very clean and nice facilities. Roof top area looks like it would be spectacular in the Summer. Not too keen on the room key, basically a four digit code that seems like it isn't changed too regularly. Someone getting a quick glance at my key card would have easy access to my room.

Simply amazing! We stayed for the weekend and had a great time at this hostel. We were five guys and had a private dorm including a spacious kitchen and a fridge. Everything was clean and the staff was always friendly and helpful. The metro station is a 2 minute walk away.

This is a great hostel in Chicago. Subway stop is right around the corner, there is a Wallgreens nearby and the neighborhood is very lively; lot of restaurants, party places, coffee hangouts. Furthermore, staff is super friendly and helpful, the facilities are great (a lot of great showers, toilets, etc.), safety is good. Beds are ok (plastic wrapped mattresses, which can get kind of sweaty when its warm). Overall; I would definitely recommend this hostel!

Location was great, it was always clean and really easy access with the room cards.

• 16th Mar 2015

This hostel is in a great location with great staff. The only thing is that the furniture is kinda outdated, which means the metal bunk beds are really noisy and also the overall hostel needs to be updated. We stayed on the second floor which was loud during the night due to the location right close to the bathroom area as well as the kitchen and meeting room. Also I did not like that boys and girls are sharing the same toilets and showers. But overall the location and the staff are great.

• 13th Mar 2015