IHSP Chicago Hostel at Damen CTA Reviews

1616 N. Damen Ave, CTA Blue Line, Chicago, USA

I love the hostel. It's located on the blue line and it's so convenient for travelers. The facilities are a bit old and the shower water is really small but overall it's a great value and I'll definitely recommend people to stay here!

• 16th Dec 2015

The hostel is very clean. But there are only pancakes for breakfast. Staff is nice and helpful. The location is really convenient, 2 minute walk to the subway, a 24 hour Walgreens just right next to the hostel.

• 15th Dec 2015
  • Hong Kong

The location is super convenient, next to a bunch of bars and restaurants, also the staff is super friendly and helpful, I would like to especially thank Sam and Meg for being so helpful and nice. Anyways, I would definitely recommend this hostel!

• 12th Dec 2015

This was an amazing hostel. It felt like a hotel since I had a private room but with the atmosphere of a hostel. It was super fun and safe. The area is amazing it's wicker park which is full of bars/clubs all of which are walking distance. The hostel is also convenient because it's right next to the blue line which takes you everywhere in chicago. Also to the comments that say there are no plugs in the room, ask the front desk and they will help you out. Shout out to Meg and Dan, I'll be back!

Megan is super welcoming, friendly, and helpful. Thank you for being great! Regarding facilities: the water pressure needs dramatic improvement.

We had a great stay! The staff was amazing, especially Meg. I also loved the coffee machine in the common room! The only thing that I wished was that there was a common space to hang out in after 11 pm.

I thought the hostel staff were very friendly and welcoming. However, I found the 10 bed female dorm to get uncomfortably hot at night, and it was crowded. There wasn't much space to leave my belongings within the room, since I was staying against the far wall with 3 bunk beds squished together. The other girls staying in the room had already taken up any extra space with their luggage. There was also an extra person sharing one of the bottom bunks, which made it more crowded.

• 28th Nov 2015

Loved staying at this hostel! Staff are so friendly and helpful, feels like staying with family. Staff are also really knowledgable about area and gave me advice on places to visit and transportation. The location was awesome, right near blue line which takes you directly into downtown and heaps of great shops were in surrounding streets. Great atmosphere and great place to meet people. Would definitely stay here again.

• 27th Nov 2015

My purse and camera were stolen while I was sleeping in the room. (Although the door was locked) There was no camera showing the second floor. I have stayed at 10-15 hostels in several cities in the last couple of years and such a thing never happened to me before. So be careful!

• 25th Nov 2015
  • Turkey

Really really awesome place !! Only drawback: the showers

• 20th Nov 2015
  • Belgium

The two workers (I'm not sure of their names, both are early to mid 20's, one blonde guy and one brunette girl) were really super nice and accommodating. They explained the hostel, showed us around, and gave us tips for the city. The hostel is the nicest one I've ever stayed in, the common areas are all super chill and fun, the rooms are a good size, and the bathrooms/showers are always clean. I give it a 10/10!

• 20th Nov 2015

This review is for management because there is a problem that needs to be fixed. The intercom system outside the door needs to be replaced. I stood outside for about 15 minutes trying to call the front desk from both my phone and the intercom. Rattling the door prompted the guy at the front desk to let me in. This tech problem needs to be fixed by management. Megan was very friendly and checked me out quickly in the morning. Thank you!!!

The breakfast, common area and staff were all great. The bed was incredibly uncomfortable (we had a double room) and the shower was nothing but a dribble (very difficult to wash long hair in), however the vibe was nice, the place has a lot of character and a general positive atmosphere. I'd stay here again.

• 12th Nov 2015

Shower is especially small, it's not possible to wash the shampoo off your hair kind of small. The room is smelly, and the floor makes sounds whenever there's someone walking in the room or in the common area, didn't really get much sleep there. Location and staff are superb though.

The water pressure in the showers was pretty terrible. Some front desk staff were very helpful, others not so much. Not much atmosphere.

It's a nice place. Heating doesn't work that well, though. And they dont have enough light plugs for our gadgets, what's so important nowadays. They dont have anybody in reception between midnight and 6 AM, whats also a problem. Bedroom are really BASIC, without extra blankets or lights.

IHSP Should demand that Hostel world use a large banner telling shoppers of hostels on their sight that they are a student /International hostel only! So guests don't show up to discover that they can't book a room cause while they are searching amongst many hostels they have to read far down the fine print!

The place great. The location was awesome with places around,close to the trains and a short ride to the city, staff was helpful and the rooms were clean.l would back toto this hostel

• 27th Oct 2015

2nd time I visit this Hostel and the same opinion: excellent!

I enjoyed my stay there, couldn't have stayed at a better place than here, with one exception, the shower head, low flow, but I didn't mind at all, thank you.

• 22nd Oct 2015