IHSP Chicago Hostel at Damen CTA Reviews

1616 N. Damen Ave, CTA Blue Line, Chicago, USA

Very friendly place, nice staff, good location an very clean. I had a great time!

• 7th Jan 2014

IHSP Chicago Hostel at Damen CTA was a great choice for our girls trip. The staff are super friendly and engaging, the facilities are great, the common room is a good size, equipped with a nice kitchen and pool table, excellent for drinking, socializing and making new friends. The location is excellent, situated right by the 24 hour blue line train and next door to a 24 hour Walgreen's! Also there's a Starbucks across the street and a plethora of bars all in walking distance! We will be back!

Nice hostel. We booked a 3 bed room and got a 9-bed room (for us alone), so we had lots of space! The facilities are clean and the staff is very nice. The area is cute, but you need public transportation to get downtown (but with public transportation you only need like 10-15 minutes to get there).

I couldn't use the washing machine which on the third floor, and the weird thing is, IHSP charges money for washing clothes on the third floor, but there are two free washing machines on the second floor. I was really unhappy about this. Also The bathrooms on the third always have problems. The shower always changes water to extremely hot to extremely cold...not only one bathroom, all of the bathrooms on the third are all happened. I have to say, IHSP has really bad facilities.

Sorry that you were unhappy. The "free" washing machines are the ones the staff use to wash all of the towels and sheets. Thanks for letting us know about the water issue upstairs, we will look into it and see what's going on.

This Chicago hostel is a perfect place not only for young world travellers but even for mature couples visiting the Windy City or their children studying or living in Chicago. The free daily pancake breakfast certainly hit the spot, and was a great touch to our stay. I would recommend this hostel in a heartbeat.

I was in town with a friend for a concert never stayed at a hostel before. Was very impressed with the staff and the room we got was amazing. Had an overall blast will probley come again.

• 12th Dec 2013

Alexander Emelyanenko!!!

I had a great time there, met many nice people and the staff was great! The only inconvenient was that my bed was hard to access, but it was OK, nothing too bad. There is a Walgreens open 24/7 that really helps, it has everything there! The blue line working 24h/day is also something really nice, for you can go to parties or bars and you dont have to worry about the hour or about paying for the taxi.

Clean, friendly, cheap, helpful and fun staff, would definitely recommend (in fact we already have). Plus, incredible location.

• 21st Nov 2013

Brilliant hostel. Well looked after hostel. Staff were very helpful and informative. I was here midweek and still had a great time out at the bars. There's even a brand new Starbucks coffee machine in the kitchen serving free coffees all day. I could not fault this place and would recommend it to everyone. Number 1 hostel in the US.

Nice place in a very nice neighborhood - many places to eat and ramble around. Groceries stores and a subway stop are just a few steps away. The staff is nice and helping and in particular faszinated by the brand new starbucks coffee machine! :) The place is maybe a little to big and therefore it's not that easy to socialise.

Modern & clean. Location is great, close to CTA Blue Line and with a supermarket right next door. Stayed here on two different occasions, preferred first time as I got placed in one of the quieter side dorms. There are a couple of dorm rooms next to the common room which can be a little noisy - but even then only until midnight when the room is shut down. Highly recommended, especially if you like pancakes for breakfast.

The hostel is greatly located, clean, and has a great living space to meet people and hang out.

The people were really cool, great pancakes. It's really a shame the common room is only open until midnight. On weekends this should be open until at least 2am.

Very cool hostel with a great vibe in a location filled with bars and places to eat.

This hostel was amazing. they provided us with everything such as towels, free printing, food and sightseeing maps, free lockers, and a lot more. They even reimbursed the train ride from the airport. The atmosphere war great and the rooms are really good, specially the common room. I was a bit concerned about cleanliness since former reviews were mixed about that, but during my stay it was very clean. I highly recommend this place!

I had a private double room with shared bathroom. The room war very simple: a double-bed, two shairs and a desk. Unfortenately there are only 3 toilets and 4 showers on each level for almost many guests. The staff war very friendly and helpful. I reserved a free parking spot for my rentet car. That is very useful in Chicago, so you have to pay a lot of money for parking. The hostel is located at wicker park, where you can find a lot of nice bars and shopping location and not far away from loop.

The staff was really nice and accommodating.

• 12th Nov 2013

Wonderful environment, great location, right in the heart of the night life. One minute walk to blue line train and a walk away from so many wonderful restaurants, shopping cafes and bars. Maybe 5 minute train ride on the blue line to downtown. Dan Strader was a wonderful and very attentive host. You need anything or have any questions or doubts about Chicago, the hostel, you name it, ask Dan...or anybody else on staff for that matter. The hostelers are mostly friendly students or scholars.

• 6th Nov 2013
  • Mexico

It was a great experience. The host is good located and the staff is very helpful. The host at night is quiet and the beds are comfortable. Ramon Cayon

• 1st Nov 2013