IHSP Chicago Hostel at Damen CTA Reviews

1616 N. Damen Ave, CTA Blue Line, Chicago, USA

I'm an exchange student from S. Korea and I go to UNR. The location was awesome because it took only 30~40 mins from airport. Also there is Walgreens near hostel it just 1mins distance. Attraction was very close by train, bus. I can't forget the IHSP's rooftop! It's really cool! I met all around the world friends. Staffs in the IHSP, they are awesome! awesome! they were very helpful and friendly!! I never met that cool staff like KEVIN, CORY and SAM before :) Thanks guys!! Especially,Ke..Kevin!

• 21st May 2015
  • South Korea

Staffs are nice and kind. Wonderful atmosphere, especially the rooftop, it's totally better than the others. Had a great weekend in Chicago with IHSP :) Thanks!

• 21st May 2015
  • South Korea

Great hostel. Nice staff and great location: 15 minutes to the loop in metro. The only thing I chance would be the mattress cause they are really old.

It was a very clean place it was a little room in the dorm rooms, so bring brezzy PJs!! The staff was super friendly and helpful. The building was awesome and in neat loction.

• 14th May 2015

Great hostel near the subway!

I am very pleased with how it all turned out. 1 The people, both guests and staff, were nice. 2 The room, hallway and restrooms were all clean and well cared for. The janitors do a great job. There was also NO bedbugs; thank you!! 3 Although there was a fair amount of foot traffic outside my room door there was no loud music, people yelling or any other bad behavior. 4 The way they set up the locks on the street entrance and the room door was essentially foolproof.

Hello! I have stayed at IHSP in Chicago three times now and each time has been a treat whether I have been alone or with a friend. :) the staff is always top notch, especially Dan!!! He is always so helpful and friendly. Every time I have been to the hostel he always wants to catch up with me and get to know other people, while at the same time making sure that everyone's stay is going well. Thank you so much Dan and IHSP for making all my time in Chicago so fun! :)

• 8th May 2015

Being in Wicker Park, I expected higher quality. Although, I guess I got what I paid for. We were so unnerved by the state of the bedding and bathroom facilities that we checked out an hour after we checked in. It was too dirty for us to stay. Maybe other college students aren't phased by such uncleanly conditions, but we certainly were.

• 26th Apr 2015

Coolest hostel in the U.S. The vibe of this place is amazing, the lay out of the hostel makes it really cool to hang out and meet people. Facilities are great, and so is the staff. Kevin and Dan are the coolest, funnest people. Free pancakes and Starbucks coffee for breakfast. And also, the location is amazing, wicker park it's a hip nice neighborhood with lots of bars and coffee shops. My favorite neighborhood in Chicago. COME TO THIS HOSTEL!!!!!!!!!

The key code on the hostel doors were not very secure. The hostel staff member said our key code number out loud that was on the card and anyone could of heard it and entered the code while we were gone.

Facilities were clean and in working order and everything was comfortable. The biggest plus was the amazing vibe that the staff and the place gave off. loved the atmosphere so much that I couldn't fault any of the other fields. keep at it!

When I checked in it took about 5 calls to reach the front desk to buzz me up- had me a bit nervous.

This has been a great Chicago experience! The hostel is in a very cool neighborhood, it's literally steps away from the subway and has 24/7 access to downtown Chicago. It's clean and has everything a person might want from a hostel, everything is on a sign if you may have any questions. Also, the receptionists are very friendly. Wyatt checked me out and told me an insider secret of how to see Chicago from above for under $10. He was very helpful and knowledgable regarding the boat cruises, too!

Loved my stay. The hostel was in a really fun area with lots of shops, bars, and places to eat nearby. The 24 hour Walgreens next door and direct 24hr train to O'Hare was also a huge plus! On Saturday night the hostel offered a Bar Crawl led by staff members and took us around to quite a few bars in the area for drinks. It was $3 and before we left, we had a few drinks in the rec room. The staff were all very laid back and easy going. Dave and Jessica were both really nice and helpful.

Great stay at the hostel. Everyone was very nice, pancake breakfast was good, the location is awesome and it was pretty clean. The beds are not the best, but ok.

• 17th Apr 2015

Great location, super friendly staff and amazing free coffee 24/7! The only recommendation I have is if you're big on sleep, get a smaller dorm. Overall great experience.

Fantastic place to stay, staff are greet and friendly. Only have postive things to say about this awesome place.

Very nice stay. The best things are the rooftop, the free pancakes with nutella for breakfast and the location near a lot of restaurants and bars.

• 2nd Apr 2015

The only thing I regret is that I didn't have more time to spend at the hostel.

Great location in the lively Wicker Park area. Train to downtown a 2 minute walk from the hostel. Very clean and nice facilities. Roof top area looks like it would be spectacular in the Summer. Not too keen on the room key, basically a four digit code that seems like it isn't changed too regularly. Someone getting a quick glance at my key card would have easy access to my room.