IHSP Chicago Hostel at Damen CTA Reviews

1616 N. Damen Ave, CTA Blue Line, Chicago, USA

Great location right in the middle of Wicker Park. Close walk to a bunch of good restaurants, bars, coffee shops, boutiques, etc. Rooftop deck was nice to come back to after a long day of walking around. Close to the metro (about 2 minute walk). Only about a 15 minute ride to downtown. Staff was super friendly and helpful. Bring flip flops to wear in the shower and your own towel (although they have them for free) and you'll be fine! Oh, also, parking was great. It was right behind the hostel.

Facilities were excellent. We were really happy with our room and the location of the hostel. The staff were ok. Not as enthusiastic or friendly as the other hostels we'd stayed at. Not very accommodating with check out, as our flight was early in the morning. We had to give our keys in at midnight and couldn't leave the building. When we checked in we had to wait an extra half hour past the normal check in time to actually access our room because it needed to be cleaned.

Stayed 5 nights in a 10 bed dorm. Very sociable and vibrant hostel, conveniently located. At night I mostly didn't even bother to go out, preferred to hang out and have drinks with fellow travellers at the hostels on the rooftop.great staff. Lockers in the room, padlocks provided if you didn't bring your own, rooms secured with keycode, entrance to hostel with keycard.felt safe. provides for everything a traveller needs, even free towels, huge+cozy common area and kitchen. loved it, recommend it

I failed so much booking at this hostel, by the moment we got there we wanted to leave, but there was nothing available for our budget. The location is bad, it has metro and bus connections but it is quite far from the loop and beach and it is ugly and a little dangerous, there are really old and ugly apts nearby. The receptionists leave at night and people is shouting and yelling ALL THE NIGHT, we had a hard time sleeping and the doors where of glass with just a curtain, we had to covered it!!

• 17th Jun 2014
  • Chile

Hi! Wicker Park is one the best neighborhoods in Chicago. Just take a look at this link. http://www.frontdoor.com/places/10-great-neighborhoods-in-chicago We personally think the building near the hostel are beautiful :)

One of our most favourite hostels we stayed in whilst in America !!

Perfect if you want to be in Wicker Park and the international, nightly rooftop party was great. Decent beds and nice clean big bathroom that was deluxe. There is NOT parking as stated. You have to find parking blocks away and huff it. It was free but 7 blocks away. Just sn FYI.

• 5th Jun 2014

It was too loud and noisy during the middle of night.

• 1st Jun 2014
  • Taiwan

I loved this hostel. The location is amazing, the people and the staff were awesome to be around with. I came to Chicago thinking I would have an okay time, and it completely exceeded my expectations! Wyatt was an epic host, and he does a pretty good job at keeping the place running smoothly for the guests and fun at the same time. I will def stay here again next time I am in town.

Dan was very friendly and like all staff, very helpful and patient. They offer amazing insider tips to help you see Chicago from a locals perspective . The location is amazing as they're right up the road from lots of cool stores. The staff contribute to building a fun and memorable experience in Chicago. This hostel just further solidified the idea I had previously held that Chicago is very, very cool.

• 27th May 2014
  • South Africa

Great hostel, fun and social atmosphere. Clean showers and great kitchen. Girls and boys dorms open straight onto the common room which can be a bit awkward in the morning when everyone's having breakfast (free pancakes A ) and staring in at you.

Thanks guys for a memorable stay ! You had great advice, great conversation and the hostel is probably one of the best I've been, the roof deck is the bomb !!

I stay at IHSP near every time I come into Chicago. I live in a nearby state, often come to town for concerts, to conduct research, or simply to visit the museums and enjoy a bit of quality nightlife. Not only does Wicker Park present itself as an ideal and convenient neighborhood for staying in and getting around from, IHSP provides an incredibly high quality hostel experience at relatively low cost. I've been at hostels all over the world and this is my favorite, second to only one.

• 8th May 2014

Really great hostel. Loved the location. The surrounding area has lots of great bars and places to eat. It is also extremely close to the metro so getting around is easy! Good social atmosphere. There is a large common area and free pancakes for breakfast. Had an awesome time there and meet a lot of fun people. It was very secure and I felt comfortable and safe there. Would highly recommend this hostel.

Rooms are not that great and not all of them have windows. But the common areas are great!

The best front desk Ever!! He is so helpful!! It's easy to get there , just with the blue line . A lot of places to visit around the hostel. Thank you for everything !!!

• 1st May 2014
  • Peru

A great place to stay for one night or two, good atmosphere in a very hipster-vintage like neighborhood. Another way to discover the windy city!

• 25th Apr 2014

excellent

If you're coming here to party, then this is your place. If you intend on sleeping, forget it. You hear everything from everywhere. I was in two different rooms on two floors and first was on the first floor so I couldn't go to sleep until quiet hours (midnight & one) because of the pool, music, guitar, piano, etc and the second floor isn't much better with yelling, hair dryers and mayhem. I slept ok on a bottom bunk but on the top bunk bed/floor creaked with every move. you can do better.

• 19th Apr 2014

We had a great stay here for a couple nights in one of the double-bed rooms. The hostel is well-located and nicely set-up, and has a nice laid-back atmosphere. Friendly reception staff, decent-sized room with linens provided, wifi, free pancake breakfast, and generally quite clean. The only minor issue was occasional bathroom line-ups here and there, mostly because one night there was a big high-school group staying. Would definitely recommend.

• 18th Apr 2014

Really nice hostel with good atmosphere in a good location.