IHSP Chicago Hostel at Damen CTA Reviews

1616 N. Damen Ave, CTA Blue Line, Chicago, USA

I enjoyed my stay there, couldn't have stayed at a better place than here, with one exception, the shower head, low flow, but I didn't mind at all, thank you.

• 22nd Oct 2015

I only stayed one night but it was just fantastic. Very big but cosy place with free coffee 24/7. Showers could be indeed better. Toilet facilities are very good, but water is either cold or very little. If I come back to Chicago I'll stay here if there are places.

Just stayed here last week and really enjoyed it. Meg behind the counter was really friendly and the facilities were very clean and quiet and centrally located in Wicker Park right off the Blue Line just outside of downtown Chicago. FREE breakfast is great for the budget traveller, and all of the information available at the front desk was very helpful too!

• 19th Oct 2015

I loved my stay at IHSP, good location, right next to the train stop. Pancakes and free Starbucks coffee for breakfast was the best! Roofdeck was awesome, great to meet other travellers.

Nice and intimate place! Helpfull staff and very clean.

I love this Hostel because of the location and the staff, but the water pressure in the showers could use a little help. When I checked in on Friday night, Sam was the one working and checked me in. He is incredibly helpful, friendly, and welcoming and seems to really enjoy his work.

The free pancake breakfast was great. The showers need an upgrade. Terrible water pressure, hardly feels like you're getting a refreshing wash. They were fairly clean, but it was just a drizzle coming out of shower head, and kept fluctuating between hot and cold, you could never get a good temperature. The rooms need a better cooling system, as was very hot at night. Very handy to have the blue line train only 3 mins away walk, walgreens on the corner also great. Nice rooftop to sit and drink :)

My friend and I had a great time at IHSP Chicago. Everything was clean, friendly and convenient. The only little thing to improve would be the broken showers.

• 7th Oct 2015

Apart from the rude guy at checkin. Over all a great place, made some good friends! Common room shuts @11 so there is no inside place to socialise after then "go to the roof" what if it's raining... Great location and secure!

I liked the hostel overall except for the male receptionist who was there both the evening/nights of my stay (4th and 5th). He was very very rude and kinda racist. I am in medical profession and would prefer be in my respectful position else I could have responded back to his disrepectful gestures. I would really recommend the hostel administration to look into it.

• 5th Oct 2015
  • India

Enjoyed my stay at IHSP. I've stayed at one other Chicago hostel and I would definitely choose IHSP over the other hostel again. Overall, the hostel is clean and comfortable. It's super close to the blue line and good bus routes. The neighborhood - Wicker Park is also a lot of fun. The only Thing I didn't like - my bed was SO loud. It creaked every time I touched it. There's a protective cover on the matress(definitely a good thing) but it crinkles so much it's actually a bit hard to sleep on.

When I checked in, Meg was friendly, helpful and fast and gave me a recommendation on where to get dinner the next time I'm in town. Thank you Meg, for a great experience! I can't wait to be back soon.

Very good neighborhood and easy access from O'hare airport (only about 45 mins) and from Midway (you need to change once though, takes about 1:15 to get there) 15 mins downtown by train and tons of bars and restaurants in the area. Rooms are very clean, plenty of opportunity to socialize and sleep. Good wifi connection too! 5 stars and I will be back again if i'm in the Chicago area.

Really nice hostel, close to the train in a nice area where there is a lot of good shops and eating places. Staff was were nice and happy:)

• 28th Sep 2015
  • Denmark

It was my first time going to Chicago, and this hostel could not be more perfect to make my stay even better. The staff is very helpful and friendly. All the facilities were very clean. My favorite was the roof deck, I met people from so many different countries and the atmosphere at the hostel its so pleasant that it kind of forces you to talk to everyone. I had a little family for that weekend. Only thing that could improve is the pressure on the showers its very low.

• 24th Sep 2015
  • Dominican Republic

Hostel was okay, but the mattress was really bad... the breakfast was okay, but some bread would be nice ;)

• 23rd Sep 2015

I had the best time here and met some amazing people on the rooftop! The staff too were very cool and really helped out when we needed it.

I think the overall experience was quite good, so I would definately recommend the hostel to anyone who's visiting Chicago.

Great place to stay in Chicago. The staff is wonderful, super friendly, nice and helpful. The area is very nice. Really easy to move around the city. I am a woman and was by myself. Safe place.

• 11th Sep 2015
  • Argentina

This place was really nice. Middle of Chicago, not downtown but not too far either. Not a bad neighborhood, staff was great!