IHSP Chicago Hostel at Damen CTA Reviews

1616 N. Damen Ave, CTA Blue Line, Chicago, USA

I had a really fun time here. Don't have much experience with hostels, but if they are all like this, then yes please! Especially had fun partying on the roof deck and meeting people. The staff are really friendly and helpful too... special shout out to Olivia for helping me with my stay. Great vibes, good times.

• 28th Jul 2014

When booking a hostel in Chicago, our main goal was to save money, but we ended up getting so much more than that! Obviously it's not a 5-star hotel or anything, but it makes up for that with 5-star service, fun atmosphere, and great people to meet from all over the world. Yay for free pancakes every morn too!

• 28th Jul 2014

Very cool open feeling space, with somehow too an amazing sense of privacy. The staff was very kind and welcoming. In particular I want to thank Sam. This is the place to stay if you want the Chicago hostel experience.

The guy on the front desk made me feel so chill, and was happy to help at all hours. The roof too deck was awesome, you can see the city skyline while eating pizza and listening to music! The Only negative - my room was right by the kitchen/lounge where people played music and pool till quite late and were very loud! All though later on the staff did ask them to turn it down

Great hostel. Everything u can ever expect, great staff who will help u. Great common areas and a good location aswell.

Very cool hostel, awesome location.. the rooftop parties were an awesome place to meet people!

Fantastic downtown location with lots of bars and restaurants all around the hostel. The rooftop terrace was a great place to hang out all night, too. It got fairly noisy up there but is removed from the rooms so we weren't disturbing anyone. The communal showers and toilets that I saw were clean although it seemed like there were very often people locked in some of the bathrooms, I never had to queue. Transport is easy and convenient and the crowd at the hostel was nice.

• 14th Jul 2014

The IHSP was an excellent choice. It is located in a wonderful side of town with many good places to eat, hang out and shop mainstream or for the more adventurous traveler books and records!! The staff is amazing and so are the facilities! The best thing is it is so near the blue line to make it easy to go anywhere you want including the airport!!! It is my top choice in my next visit to the windy city!

During my stay, the staff was not very helpful. My questions went unanswered and were often no where to be found. It was my first hostel stay, and it felt as if my basic questions (how do we tell what bed is ours, storing food, ect) seemed to bother them and usually went ignored. More than once I was told to wait and stood there for ten minutes and when they did come back their answers weren't clear.

• 12th Jul 2014

Average style hostel in central Chicago close to a bar district and within walking distance to the metro. Big factilities and lots of large and clean bathrooms as well as common area. The breakfast was a joke and the coffee machine didn't even work. Staff seemed uninterested in their clients.

Hi, sorry that the coffee machine was not functioning the one day your stayed here. The company the maintains it came out the next day and fixed it.

It was the cleanest hostel I've ever been in my time as a traveler! I had a good time on rooftop deck ;) The location is perfect. Pancakes mhh :) Top!

Great location right in the middle of Wicker Park. Close walk to a bunch of good restaurants, bars, coffee shops, boutiques, etc. Rooftop deck was nice to come back to after a long day of walking around. Close to the metro (about 2 minute walk). Only about a 15 minute ride to downtown. Staff was super friendly and helpful. Bring flip flops to wear in the shower and your own towel (although they have them for free) and you'll be fine! Oh, also, parking was great. It was right behind the hostel.

Facilities were excellent. We were really happy with our room and the location of the hostel. The staff were ok. Not as enthusiastic or friendly as the other hostels we'd stayed at. Not very accommodating with check out, as our flight was early in the morning. We had to give our keys in at midnight and couldn't leave the building. When we checked in we had to wait an extra half hour past the normal check in time to actually access our room because it needed to be cleaned.

Stayed 5 nights in a 10 bed dorm. Very sociable and vibrant hostel, conveniently located. At night I mostly didn't even bother to go out, preferred to hang out and have drinks with fellow travellers at the hostels on the rooftop.great staff. Lockers in the room, padlocks provided if you didn't bring your own, rooms secured with keycode, entrance to hostel with keycard.felt safe. provides for everything a traveller needs, even free towels, huge+cozy common area and kitchen. loved it, recommend it

I failed so much booking at this hostel, by the moment we got there we wanted to leave, but there was nothing available for our budget. The location is bad, it has metro and bus connections but it is quite far from the loop and beach and it is ugly and a little dangerous, there are really old and ugly apts nearby. The receptionists leave at night and people is shouting and yelling ALL THE NIGHT, we had a hard time sleeping and the doors where of glass with just a curtain, we had to covered it!!

• 17th Jun 2014
  • Chile

Hi! Wicker Park is one the best neighborhoods in Chicago. Just take a look at this link. http://www.frontdoor.com/places/10-great-neighborhoods-in-chicago We personally think the building near the hostel are beautiful :)

One of our most favourite hostels we stayed in whilst in America !!

Perfect if you want to be in Wicker Park and the international, nightly rooftop party was great. Decent beds and nice clean big bathroom that was deluxe. There is NOT parking as stated. You have to find parking blocks away and huff it. It was free but 7 blocks away. Just sn FYI.

• 5th Jun 2014

It was too loud and noisy during the middle of night.

• 1st Jun 2014
  • Taiwan

I loved this hostel. The location is amazing, the people and the staff were awesome to be around with. I came to Chicago thinking I would have an okay time, and it completely exceeded my expectations! Wyatt was an epic host, and he does a pretty good job at keeping the place running smoothly for the guests and fun at the same time. I will def stay here again next time I am in town.

Dan was very friendly and like all staff, very helpful and patient. They offer amazing insider tips to help you see Chicago from a locals perspective . The location is amazing as they're right up the road from lots of cool stores. The staff contribute to building a fun and memorable experience in Chicago. This hostel just further solidified the idea I had previously held that Chicago is very, very cool.

• 27th May 2014