IHSP Santa Barbara Reviews

111 N. Milpas Street, Santa Barbara, USA

Is really expensive for its value, we paid $69 per person at mid-October. To get to our 6 mixed bedroom we had to cross another room and it was such a small room we couldn't handle more than two bags at a time. Not more than 4 people could stand at the same time. Common bathroom on the room floor looked a bit untidy. Moreover the girl on reception wasn't really nice at our arrival, was informative but a smile would have been ok.

The staff I met were super friendly and were very helpful in getting me accustomed to the town: giving a good local guide approach. The only problem that I met was that some of the residents were allowed to smoke weed on the premises, and I was fairly sure these people didn't have medcards. The communal areas were clean and were to a good quality.

I stayed on this hostel just for a night, but on the dorm was 6 people for a little space, was hot like hell and had only one fan for the 6 people.

Don't go there - the money you pay isn't worth... We were 6 people in a room of about 8 square meters - absolutely no space for lugge... The bathrooms were very dirty, the beds very old...

Nice place to stay, Holly on reception was very nice and Katie was cool too! Need a rest after a long drive and slept right through, Santa Barbara is a good place to eat and drink. A visit to the Pier is a must. Thanks Holly.

The hostel is cosy, there's a small common area and outdoor patio where you can sit. You can make yourself plenty of pancakes every morning for free but it would be nice if they added something to their breakfast,like fruit or juice. I stayed in a private room which was very comfortable. (Make sure you read the fine print, only students can stay in the dorm rooms!)It's difficult to control the shower temp but the bathrooms were clean. Area is pretty good. It's a good place to stay for a few days

The atmosphere around the hostel was excelent and the staff were always happy to help. For a hostel it was a bit pricey but I understand there is little competition in the area. Had a great time though.

• 18th Aug 2014

Nice hostel. We came late, called the hostel and they're waiting us until midnight. Good place, good bedrooms and parking lot. Nice location, close to the beach and main streets. Good points : the kitchen and all it's utilities, the outside area with the BBQ and the nice breakfast! You've to come here - nice staff too :)

• 16th Aug 2014

The location was perfect for me. The staff was amazing and friendly. The facility was very clean and well kept up. Over all I was very impressed with IHSP and would love to stay there again when I make this trip again!!

• 13th Aug 2014

I stayed there for a day, I had a shared room and it was well maintained, clean, and well kept! I stayed a night and it was one of the best experiences I have ever had! In the morning they had a free pancake breakfast which was really very enjoyable and set my day off correctly as well as the happy and positive attitudes from the Staff greeting me and welcoming me in the morning! I have never been so pleased with staying anywhere as much as I have there at IHSP. I would highly recomend it!

• 11th Aug 2014

The people who work there is really cool and helpful. I stayed there for almost a week and I had the same bed all the time. It's not much of space in the dorm rooms, but still kinda cosy :) feels like your staying in someone's house on a lair or something. But though, santa barbara is expensive, and so is the hostel.

• 10th Aug 2014
  • Sweden

Great choice for Santa Barbara. I had stayed at the IHSP in Chicago and was suprised they had one in Santa Barbara. I needed just one bed for me to sleep, not a pricey room..the IHSP fit the bill perfect. Bed was comfy, and I met a lot of great people from Sweden and we all took off to State Street toegether, made me feel good to not be alone in a hotel. made a friend or 2..and not to mention, Holly at the desk helped me with tons! would be back

We booked this hostel mostly because of the positive reviews on hostelworld. To our surprise we were put in a very stuffy room with no windows . Additionally our room had a key code entrance that anyone could see us enter as our room and no lockers were offered. The hostel was 15-20 minutes walk from the Center of town which in my opinion does not validate a 75% positive location. The showers were cold and there were only 2 which I found. On the plus side the common area was nice.

My room was too hot and didn't have curtains to block the sun properly. That was the bad thing. However the breakfast with all you can eat pancakes and the help the hostel gave me while fixing my reservation made it worth. I had made a reservation for the wrong day and they managed to arrange me a room with jp extra charges. Thanks guys! That showed me they are trying to do their best.

• 29th Jul 2014

The hostel is good for college students.

• 25th Jul 2014

The rooms are way too small for the number of beds they hold. There is no a/c, just a very loud fan on the floor. The only power outlet in the room was behind one of the bunk beds so it wasn't accessible to anyone. The guests were very loud even after the "quiet hours" and the staff didn't do anything about it. The staff was friendly but disorganized (I arrived at 6pm and there weren't any sheets, the girl said she would get me some but forgot so I had to go look for them myself).

• 14th Jul 2014

Staff is nice and the kitchen and living room are clean, but the dorms are nothing like on the photos on the website. They try to cram too many people in a too small a space. People have to hang out in their rooms, which means even less privacy and even less sleep... For $40 I had expected better.

The hostel is relatively small, and there's a lot of people in each room, so there's no place for our luggage. Also, there's no supervision in the night, so people can shout out loud without nobody to remember them to respect other people. However, it's a really cute place, and the girl at the desk was very helpful and nice!

• 14th Jun 2014

I was only there one night, so I didn't really get into atmosphere but it did seem friendly! Lovely staff. And fantastic wifi connection. Shower upstairs had no shower head just stream of water. Had a great stay

The price for the hostel was too expensive for what it offered. The shared bed-dorm (9 to 10 squaremeters) was way too small for six people. Moreover there is not enough space in the common area like kitchen, living room and terrace when the hostel is fully booked. When i stayed in the hostel there was only one shower available because the other one was broken. I know, SB is an expensive place and compared to the other rooms its cheap but in my opinion they just profit without providing anything

View all Santa Barbara Hostels