IchiEnSou Reviews

4-2 Komatsu-Chou SijoSagaru 4 Choume YamatoOojiDou, Kyoto, Japan

Awesome location, nice staff! Only downturn was that shower time is limited after check out (and costs extra 300 yen). Besides that one of the best places I've stayed!

An all around amzing hostel; clean, quiet, directly in town and with friendly staff that took us out for activities twice in less than a week.

This hostel is the best one we've stayed in so far. The building is beautiful and the style is traditional with wooden interiors. And the staff is amazing - they even invited us out one night! Definitely recommendable.

IchiEnSou is a great hostel in a very central part of Kyoto. Yashi (the owner/manager) is a very friendly and helpful guy. The dorm rooms are spacious and clean, and there is a very nice common area, as well as solid Wi-Fi access. One suggestion for improvement would be to improve the access to bathrooms/showers for men. The upstairs shower isn't always available, and to use the restroom you need to take a long walk downstairs.

Yashi (owner) is the bomb. The place is quaint (in a good way) and has a great common space. Comfortable beds, too. Best part is probably the fact it's in Gion, right in the middle of the Higashiyama area so there are a lot of major attractions (as well as public transit connections) nearby.

Lovely hostel! Staff were great and really friendly. The rooms are really spacious and the general atmosphere is very relaxed. Great place to stay whilst temple hopping in Kyoto!

• 20th Jun 2014
  • Scotland

Great place, quiet and relaxing, in a fantastic location. It is more a home stay than anything. Yashi the owner is super lovely

I did not want to leave Kyoto and IchiEnSou! This is a charming guest house down a quiet street, but still very convenient to the nearest train station (Gion Shijo), as well as a busy shopping street, and the historical district and temples. A small open kitchen area, public computer, common room, clean shower and bedrooms, traditional design, and helpful, friendly staff all contributed to a great stay in this lovely place.

I was there for 2 nights and if you are looking for something calm and quite this is a good place, the staff on saturday even organized an "hanging out" together but I was tired to join them. Anyway I reccomend it cause is even clean, good location and once again good staff...

The staff was exceptionally nice and helpful! The atmosphere was very comfortable and I felt like I was staying with family friends rather than at a hostel, because I was so comfortable and the environment was very homey. Everything was great with IchiEnSou!

An amazing Hostel with a great homely feel to it! Especially because of the hosts! And in addition the location is also amazing!

clean quiet and well located. only one bathroom for guys and it's in the kitchen. almost no curtains in the windows of the dorm so you wake up at 6.

This is a small family run hostel with a very warm, homely feel. The husband speaks fluent English and was very helpful with directions, recommendations etc. It is small so it's not a party hostel, but it was social.

Great hostel, well located, also the owner yashi , is really nice!

Really enjoyed our stay at IchiEnSou. There was enough space at the female dorm for us to lay out our stuff (a looooot of shopping), and the owner was super nice too. Will definitely consider going back when I visit Kyoto next time!

• 25th Apr 2014
  • China

I had a wonderful stay at this lovely hostel right in the heart of Kyoto. I had a Japanese style shared dorm, with a futon on tatami mats which I loved. It was comfy and a fun experience. The hostel is superbly located, with easy access to bus and train routes and the Geisha area. What made it for me was the lovely atmosphere, with Yashi organising a supper out since it was my birthday, at a fab bar we'd never have found otherwise. Loved this hostel. Stay here - you'll love it too!

• 17th Apr 2014
  • Scotland

Quiet and familial place with English speaking owners, so kind and helpful ! I definitely recommend this centrally located place !

This is a really nice place to stay, especially if you like to have the atmosphere of an old traditional house. The staff is really nice and it does not feel like a hostel but more like living together for a short time.

Awesome place..

Amazing experience, made my Kyoto experience complete. Incredible hostel with a traditional Japanese feel to it. The common area was a welcoming and relaxed vibe to come back to after a busy day and the staff were super friendly and helpful. Could not recommend a better hostel to stay. Clean, affordable, excellent location and an authentic experience.