Iguana Backpackers Reviews

Barrio de Tigrillo, Montanita, Ecuador

Dont expect too much for the price, it only has three toilets for like 40 people. Staff are friendly and they will accomodate you if rooms are sold out. Had a few problems with bed bugs told the staff and they said it was not harmful and that they were going to fumigate the following day. Great atmosphere to start pregaming. If youre not that picky deft stay there. I would go back.

Great hostel to meet people in the common area. Nice chilled out vibe, but not the best facilities, but worth the money you pay.

Very low value for money! Dirty, loud, no hot water and almost no water in shower, for 10 dollars at night in a 10 person dorm. I changed to Mama Cucha on the other side of the road, there I had my own nice room own bathroom and a hammock for 8 dollars. Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else! There is a lot of cheap and better opportunities in Montanita!!

Great location, loads of fun and beautiful staff! Definetely a recommended hostel!

• 17th Nov 2014

Iguanas is a good location off the main strip but still a party hostel! It's great to meet people and pre drink, however the common area is too small for the amount of people staying. Also as it's next to the river and it absolutely stinks. There are not enough toilets downstairs for the number of guests and they are not thoroughly cleaned. The female staff don't speak any English and are moody and unhelpful. However the surf instructor Jorgen does speak English and is both friendly and helpful.

Was definitely not the cleanest place I stayed in but super fun and really awesome to meet others (great for solo travelers) girls from hostel like to party much and are fun but rest of staff doesn't interact with guests. Kitchen was kinda gross but restaurants in the town are very cheap. Surf instructor is not worth the money!!! Doesn't do anything to help you improve at all.

• 31st Oct 2014

Even though we'd booked for 5 days, upon arrival discovered they'd overbooked and had no room for us. Initially, really friendly and apologetic, but they made us wait for the lady who arranged the bookings. She was rude, told us all they could was give us was a room the following night for that night only and offered us no help in arranging accommodation elsewhere. Very upset after travelling as long as we had to get there.

Iguana is very fun if you're ready to be a little sandy and kind of out in the open air (under mosquito net) when you're sleeping. We loved it. Lots of fun. Pretty noisy at night. There really are lots of iguanas all around near the river. It's just a little bit outside of the main downtown area of Montañita (2 minutes walking) which is nice.

A couple of walking minutes from the party area, so it ain't too noisy. Nice riverside terrace to hang out and meet people. Everything you could need is within a couple of minutes by feet, eg. bus, beach, clubs, shops...

We stayed here for two nights. The beds have fly protective sheets which are very helpful. The hostel had very good wifi too.

Decent location and staff helpful - rooms not the cleanest or best but inexpensive.

Chilled out, social hostel. Easy to make friends. Drinking games most nights. Good location, five mins from beach!

Lots of mosquitos, because it is close to a river (which doesnt move much). Not a great common space, so it was more difficult to make friends there.

Really good hostel with a great vibe. Met lots of awesome people here. Fair enough away from the noise of Montanita but not totally out of it. It's not luxury, but it's worth what you pay.

Really cool atmosphere in a good location. Staff were a bit lazy though and hot water and wifi were intermittent

This place was kind of a dive. There was basically no security, and the place was dirty. I booked 2 beds in a room for my friend and I, and the staff gave away my bed and put me in a dorm for one night, and still charged us for the price we originally were to pay for the other 3 person room. None of the staff while we were there spoke english, which is maybe me just being a selfish North American to think it's an issue, but when we had problems it was very hard to solve them.

The hostel is in a great location only a 50-100m from the main town center which is perfect depending on if you want party than come home to a quiet bed. I stayed in the upstairs loft which was awesome - fresh air, mosquito nets to keep the bugs out and peaceful. I would recommend this hostel as they have activities very night but its quiet time after 11pm so if you want to head out you can or just sleep easy once everyone leaves :)

I really enjoyed my stay at iguanas, good locations and a nice atmosphere. Sleeping upstairs in the 10 man loft was an experience... But pretty cool! Only things with this place are that there's no breakfast, WiFi can be temperamental, and the same with the hot showers...

The 10-bed loft is a pleasant change to normal dorms, the surf board rental is a huge plus and the social area is lovely to meet fellow travelers or start the night out properly. If you don´t have to, you really don´t wanna leave this nice hostel!

This is a really nice hostel. Super chilled in the day but comes alive at night. Montanita is definitely about the nightlife, so the location was brilliant to be able to party, but go back to a quiet hostel. Had a fun time here meeting new people. Staff are not that friendly and the showers are rarely hot, but apart from that, a good place to stay.