Iguana Backpackers Reviews

Barrio de Tigrillo, Montanita, Ecuador

Great atmosphere, super friendly environment. Our only problem was whenever it rained the electricity and water went out, which was pretty inconvenient because we had to go into town and find a restaurant whenever we needed to use the bathroom. Overall had a great time though

Friendly, helpful staff; great customer service! Great location: close to "downtown" Montanita, but still pretty quiet - you can have a good night's sleep. Big lockers, power outlets at every bed.

The location is perfect as its not as noisy as the " main drag". The hostel itself is roomy, clean and has hot showers. The staff is very friendly and overly helpful. The bar area welcomes all travelers and the kitchen next door servers great morning and evening meals. The prices are the lowest anywhere and for your stay, Iguanas is the place to be!! There's always something to be shared around the open deck area in the back. Can't wait to go back!!

• 4th Dec 2015

This hostel was a bit of a letdown. Atmosphere was a bit lacking. Price was way too expensive considering the other options in montanita.

Had such a good stay, cheap cocktails.. Good atmosphere, party hostel amd good beds Cons: the roof crack eveything someone is walking upstairs.. Lack of water during the day but is the situation of almost everyone..

In comparison to other hostels in South America it was average but in Montanita it seemed very good as we knew friends staying at other hostels. It's in a great location close enough to all the bars, clubs and restaurants but far enough away to sleep once you get in at 8am.

Well, for that price is okay. however it lacks some really basic things like hot water. even just warm. Bring your own padlocks. I really liked the iguanas on the backyard.

They treat us really bad. They didn't considered our reservation making as change room for one that cost more. The manager was so rude.

• 9th Oct 2015

Although Iguana Hostel isn't a luxury and clean place, it was one of the best hostels I have ever been to. If you're travelling alone you'll meet new people here without a doubt. During the day people meet up at the beach, surfing, and during the night every night out begins in the hostel with drinks. You'll get to know everyone very easily and won't have a single moment alone.

quite often a que for the showers but apart from that great hostal!!!

The volunteers working in the hostel were great! Really friendly and helpfull. The bathrooms could be cleaner and they should buy new musquitonets, because these ones have a lot of holes in it. The shower is great though and it's a great place to meet people!

great place to stay and meet new people and socialize! freshly made cocktails every night, surf boards for rent and mosquito free nooks as beds. definitely recommended!

Montañita is small, so don´t worry about location. This hostal is located right outside where all the noise is, so it´s not bad at night. My only lament was the cleanliness-I´m quite messy myself, but this hostal really does suffer from a lack of hygene. Other than that, Iguana is a great option if you are looking to socialize and have fun, bad if you are looking to rest.

Very accommodating to the fact that I made a mess of my booking. There is a great bar that do happy hour cocktails every night. Very close to the main area of the town but the only issue is that it is right on the banks of a very polluted river which is a breeding ground for mossies, so come armed! With DEET about 1000%!! Hot water in the showers was an issue but outside of their control. The beds & room were basic but perfect for what you pay.

Great dorm on the rooftop. Very friendly place

Meant to stay 2 nights turned into 13 days. Iguana is where I made the best friends I had during all of my travels. The atmosphere was CRAZY but during the day it was mellow we'd just spend time together. Morning catch up with night adventures, daytime beach, and evenings partied with the best bartenders, surfed w. this awesome guy who works there, the cleaning ladies always made me laugh and greeted me by name. be warned the mosquitos are scary/dangerous. I stayed indoor from 6-7, then played

Not bad for a couple of nights. Room was a bit smelly and window didn't really shut. Staff were friendly, nice to have a beer on the terrace with the other guests. Didn't spot any iguanas just a swamp rat!

We absolutely loved this hostel! Very warm and friendly atmosphere with gorgeous views, fun loving people and lots of laughs spent there in the common room! We miss laying on the hammocks and admiring the view already ;) very clean and cosy room also. BIG SHOUT OUT TO EDUARDO who saved my life by repairing my I Phone :) you're great! We would definitely recommend this hostel! :)

I really enjoyed my stay in Iguana Backpackers. It's a great hostel with an amazing atmosphere. While this is a party hostel, it's a little away from the town, so in the night is really quiet. I Specially want to thank the volunteers from the reception Desk and the Bar (Veronica, Nicolas, Naiara and Leo) for their kindness.