Iguana Backpackers Reviews

Barrio de Tigrillo, Montanita, Ecuador

We absolutely loved this hostel! Very warm and friendly atmosphere with gorgeous views, fun loving people and lots of laughs spent there in the common room! We miss laying on the hammocks and admiring the view already ;) very clean and cosy room also. BIG SHOUT OUT TO EDUARDO who saved my life by repairing my I Phone :) you're great! We would definitely recommend this hostel! :)

I really enjoyed my stay in Iguana Backpackers. It's a great hostel with an amazing atmosphere. While this is a party hostel, it's a little away from the town, so in the night is really quiet. I Specially want to thank the volunteers from the reception Desk and the Bar (Veronica, Nicolas, Naiara and Leo) for their kindness.

I stayed at iguanas two different times. The first time I switched hostels after two days. The bathrooms were absolutely disgusting and smelled awful, the kitchen was a mess, and the staff were quite unfriendly. I only stayed there a second time because some friends of mine were staying there so I gave it another go. This time around it was much better. The bathrooms were never dirty, the atmosphere was quite better and I had a great time! would still recommend staying here. BRING MOZZIE SPRAY

I think I really enjoyed my time here because I met great people in my dorm. I was in the big dorm. It is some rickety, narrow stairs. Good air flow because there are no walls or windows. Beds have mosquito nets over them but mined had holes in it. Showers were cold. Lockers in room were a great size!

Overall pretty good. There were a ton of mosquitos here though since it's near the river and the rooms are insanely hot unless you sleep right under the fan.

This has to be the BEST HOSTELI HAVE EVER I have stayed in! At first look it doesn't look special, however our first impression could not be any from the truth. This hostel has the best party atmosphere and as it is small everyone feels like family. It may not be the most spotless hostel however it is clean. Me and my sister planned only to stay one night but ended up staying the week!' I highly recommend it!!

• 13th Jul 2015

Iguana was exactly what I was looking for & more. As a solo backpacker in Montanita I wanted to go out and meet people, & this is the perfect place to do it! The atmosphere is awesome, fun, &relaxed & the staff is incredibly great--the owner actually drove to Santa Elena on a mission to retrieve the backpack I left on a bus and was incredibly kind about it.Seriously so kind. Obviously if you want a quiet get away this isn't for you, but if you want to chill out, party, and meet people--perfect!

• 3rd Jul 2015

The place is good to stay if you looking for parties and meet new friends. During the day clealiness is ok but when everyone take shower and the bar is open they didn't clean the beathroon anynore. So a good tipe is: take tour shower early.

We booked iguana for 4 days and ended up staying 18 days and working for 2 weeks we loved it so much. The atmosphere is fun, everyone hangs out together like a little community and there's plenty of iguanas to look at. The owner Karen is awesome and helps with whatever she can. The wifi works really good also. Can't wait to come back to montanita and stay again!

Volunteer staff made this place! Big thanks to Lynn for being the best bar tender in town. Right near the beach and easy to meet others travelers. Please buy some more fans! Stay in the 10 bed dorm ✌️

nice social atmosphere so good for solo travelers. good location a bit out of the noisy part but close enough to everything. friendly staff and facilities are all fine.

Showers always filled with sand, but that's the fault of the visitors not the hostel. Rooms have no A/C - would recommend staying in 10 bed dorm as cooler. Staff on desk weren't helpful when needed our light bulb changed, just lay down and it took 1/2 hour. Good drinks deals and tab system. Good shower pressure and very warm. Lockers in the room are a decent size. Would recommend for a good party hostel!

Great place with a bar to meet others & have a drink. Not a lot else going for it though. Rooms desperately need air con. Still cheap dorms so can't really complain.

Great environment, very nice and friendly staff..

Iguana was perfect for my stay in Montañita! Close to everything, really really cool staff, actual iguanas to see around the property, and a LOT of partying!

The atmosphere and staff were amazing but the sleeping conditions are horrific as it was so hot and the fan was no relief. We booked 4 nights and only stayed 1. However we continued to come back for drinks here as we enjoyed it there.

Do you want to party; go here. If you want more quiet than don't. The place is ok with basic facilities, not great. We didn't want to party so switched hostel. Beds are good, Internet works half of the time, good hot shower en nice communal area.

really fun friendly atmosphere, but the toilets were really an issue. very dirty, not because they werent cleaned regularly, but because there were simply too few for too many people.

Wifi had to constantly be reset, the place smells like sewage, stuffy rooms, moldy showers. Definitely better hostels for the price! The bar pours strong drinks and the patio is great to meet people though!

Kind of reminded me of an pirate ship washed ashore old and creeky floor boards, atmosphere wasnt as buzzing as i thought it would be. But the staff were awesome and the little kitchen could pump out some 2 minute noodles pretty well. Tienda just down the road and the hostel was just across the bridge to get away from the doof doof. Give it a crack.