Iguana Hostel Reviews

Calle Chiapa de Corzo 16, Barrio el Cerrillo, San Cristobal de las Casas, Mexico

Honestly don't have a negative thing to say about this hostel. Such an amazing owner who genuinely cares about the guests and a very communal vibe, the location is perfect. San cristobal is such an amazing city, and made even better by this hostel.

This was my third stay at the Iguana; I can't seem to stay away. This time was even better than the last. There is a new tv room which is great for hanging out and watching movies inside on cold nights. And the staff is as dedicated and fun as ever--as well as the auxiliary cast of characters that always seems to drop by with food or music to share. I want to say thanks to everyone who made my stay magical: Sabrina, Nicholas, Daisy, Alex, Freesia, Rosa, Han, Valentine, Tom, and Rudy!

I had such a wonderful time at the Iguana Hostel!! The hostel is located close to the stunning food-market and it takes as well just 5 minutes to go to the central park. The staff is amazing,they are like family! I think the most beautiful about this hostel is the amtosphere! so many times we cooked together and always everybody is invited to eat,even when they just arrived 5 minutes ago. for sure,it's not the cheapest hostel,but the breakfeast is included and it's one of the best I ever had!!

• 19th Jul 2014
  • Switzerland

Amazing hostel, staff were very inormative and freidnly and cooked amazing free breakfasts :), would definatly reccomend

The Iguana was one of the best hostels I stayed at in Mexico. The facilities were clean, the staff were not just friendly but actively tried to engage in with the guests. It's in a perfect location, only a few minutes walk to most of the sights in the city as well as the markets. Breakfast is made every morning by the staff and everything we had was both delicious and abundant. The atmosphere at the Iguana is second to none, anyone who wants to have a good time should stay here.

• 21st May 2014

Fantastic stay. A real home away from home, really comfortable and relaxed.

I had a wonderful stay at Iguana Hostel. The location is perfect, close to everything in town. Iguana Hostel is clean and comfortable. Lots of common areas to hang out with other guests, lots of hammocks, and a great kitchen. It is easy to get to know everyone. Iguana Hostel feels like a family.

• 1st May 2014

The best word to describe iguana is home. I traveled trough whole Central America and never found a Place where i felt so comfortable. The best thing about iguana is that it atrackts the Most lovely People from all over the world. If you are looking for a Place to chill, it is Perfect for you. If you love to Party, You will love it, too! Every Night there is sth going on, You will cook together, just chill On the roof or make a Fire in the Garden. Wonderful staff, best owner ever. I Fell in love

• 19th Apr 2014

Iguana Hostel is a very comfortable and friendly place. It is a great hostel to meet people from around the world. The hostel itself has many places to relax and share your travel stories, including an outdoor patio with tables and sofas, a cozy TV room lined with pillows and filled with many movies and a computer, and the yard lined with half a dozen hammocks. The staff and owner are sweet and very helpful. The free breakfast in the morning is always delicious. Iguana is a great place to stay!

Pretty good hostel with a really nice staff. We booked some tours from the hostels who turned out pretty good. The dorms in my opinion are too big, but we stayed one night in a private room which was great. The showers and toilet are great and clean. There is no socializing happening in this hostel thought, so for people who are looking to meet people, it's not such a great place. Moreover, I think the breakfast wasn't that impressive.

i really am satisfied with this hostel. Rudy and Monika are very friendly and humorous owners! i could stay here like home and have such a great time with ppl come together. it's good to have a party with friends! i think whoever gonna stay in iguana, the plan will be changed definitely! long staying, and more friends in your life! Thanks iguana!

• 4th Apr 2014
  • Dngerous
  • South Korea

Iguana is such a special place in San Cristobal, with a great friendly vibe. Rudy, the owner, is such a sweet and caring person, and it felt like I was staying at a friend's house, rather than a hostel. The breakfasts are awesome, the showers are hot, and the location is perfect, just up the street from both the artisan and fruit markets. Also, the kitchen is pretty big, and there's a bbq, which makes for lots of fun community dinners...I love iguana.

• 1st Apr 2014

2 showers in the hole hostel is not enough.. Staff really friendly... Breakfast was good... Didn't like too much the atmosphere..

• 1st Apr 2014

Our stay at Iguana Hostel was just wonderful! Not only the location is beautiful and near the center but also the owner Rudy is a very helpful person and helped us whenever we had a problem. While our stay at the hostel we had problems with our health and Rudy accompanied us to the doctor and showed us where we could buy our medicaments! Furthermore the rooms where clean, the breakfast is delicious and not only bread with marmelade and the people are very friendly!

I really enjoyed my stay at the Iguana and I highly recommend this place. The staff treats you like family and help you whenever you need something. The breakfast is probably the best I've ever had in Mexico. We really enjoyed the daily Trivia, Curry, Pizza or BBQ nights and over all the unique atmosphere! You easily get in touch with people. We loved relaxing in the hammocks and spending time with other travelers in the communal places. Muchas Gracias por todo Rudy!! I will definitely return!

• 20th Mar 2014
  • Switzerland

I arrived in the morning really warm and with breakfast. Everyday there is a relaxed atmosphere. Breakfast together on one table. With dinner people like to share so if it is out for diner or one person cooks or organise a bbq. Every night was different for me. 2 nights campfire and drinking till 10.30 and the staff will ask for the neighbours and the other sleeping guest to go to the nice bars. For me a great balance.

Location was OK. Limited bathrooms and not very clean.

A great hostel with such a good atmosphere. We would definitely have stayed longer if we had time. There were plenty of communal areas and a nice garden with hammocks. The staff were really friendly and the owner Rudy took all the hostel guests on a trip to see the Carnivale celebrations in a local village. A really good day out that we wouldn't have experienced otherwise. Met lots of cool people here, some who we travelled round with afterwards. Would definitely recommend this hostel!

What a great Hostel! The owners have setup a perfect getaway Oasis in Which you can realx in after a big day of exploring. Chillout in a hammock or sink some cervecas with the other guests. Group meals are the norm and everyone contributes. The guests make the Hostel but the owners are the one´s that make this possible. I spent a night in Hospital and the owner and one of the other guests came to visit me. Very Chuffed.

I can't say enough good things about this hostel! Once you stay here, you are part of the Iguana family and are treated as such. From big family style dinners and BBQs to insider tips on the area from owner Rudy to late night trivia, this place feels like home away from home on the road. It has a convenient central location (near artisan and food markets, 10 mins walk from main zocolo), incredibly friendly and helpful staff, hot showers and strong wifi, and good vibes all around. Don't miss it!!

• 15th Feb 2014